Exp is FINE Companions are FINE

RogerApple

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the thing. You have an option to turn it off to dismiss your companion. The only other way to change this is to strip companions of their buffs. You'd rather make everyone get stripped of their buff then play without a companion.

Thing is some people like the change that the influence on your companion makes them stronger. I would support your idea if it left some option to keep buff on the companion. Telling them to strip it from EVERYONE because you don't like it and you refuse to dismiss your companion. We don't the same option to "keep buff on or off" you at least have a choice to play with or without your companion.

I feel like a broken record. We tried it several years the hard way. The result was pretty bad. This place almost a ghost town before this expansion. Now you want go back to making the gamer harder..

So your answer is to not use companions? You still don't see why it's broken? Don't you understand why companion should never have more health and more damage than player?

I don't want it get nerfed for everybody - god forbid the game being at least slightly challenging. I just want to get rid of my bonus presence - you know, the stat that i wasted time to max, becouse it used to make companions useful without making them stronger then my char. Let us turn it off. Relax, I'm asking for it to be optional.

How about you don't tell me how to play please? Thanks.

Yes, unlike you I put effort to both max out my presence and bring my comps to 10k affection mark, which now transformed indo tier 10 influence. What do I get for it? Something so powerful it makes solo gameplay boring. AND it manages to be completely useless in any serious content at the same time. Becouse all FP are now hardmode, duh. Yes, I can turn off companion, but then what's the point in even having one? It's broken, and no amount of your "it's fine" BS can change that fact.

Seriously, if you won't nerf companions, at least allow us to turn off the tonns of presence we accumulated. Shouldn't have bothered...

So, you want teh cake and eat it too. Sorry, but it is your decision to make the companions that powerful, and now you want tell others how they have to play, because you are not satisfied with your own decisions? Want some challenge? Go play PvP where you cannot have your companion anyway.

So, you want teh cake and eat it too. Sorry, but it is your decision to make the companions that powerful, and now you want tell others how they have to play, because you are not satisfied with your own decisions? Want some challenge? Go play PvP where you cannot have your companion anyway.

Actually...I believe it was bioware's decision...

If we use your reasoning - yes. I worked for that cake. if anything, I'm the one deserving to eat it, not anybody else.

With that aside - it wasn't my decision to make companions THAT powerful. It was decision i made all the way in 2.0, when it made sense, and now I'm unable to undo it. I at least want that option.

And might I ask you AGAIN not to tell me how to play? I could turn it on you, you know. For example: "Companions should be nerfed, and you must suck it up and start grouping to get anything done". See?

Edited by Frenesi

Very refreshing to see a positive thread. I can't tell you how much it looked like the world was falling down when 4.0 launched, not to mention all of the announcement before that...Love the new changes. My only complaint is that because I did not qualify for Early access I have almost no incentive to play this game until 10/27 as that is all I want my characters to do. All in all a very progressive update.

Thank you. I think MOST people actually like the change. In game right now people are having FUN..you know why this game was created in the first place. Threads like this just get buried under negative threads then people respond to negative threads "saying its fine" and the more replies it gets...I think it gives the wrong impression most people agree with the thread.

People claim they don't want us to tell them how to play yet they want do exactly that to us. The companion system been the same way since beta. I think this new system is an improvement. If anything people should wait a month before claiming this is worst thing ever. So game is more fun...companions are stronger based on your influence with them..unlock new missions and a stronger companion..sounds like a win to me

I don't get the whole "Strip the buffs for everyone playing their companions because I don't like it" attitude. When they at least have an OPTION to play with it or not. They don't want give ANY options. They just want buff removed.. I agree on most what you said..my thing to play the game even though I have no early access

Is because I find it more fun then I did before when I subbed..leveling isn't a pain anymore...I'm actually playing four different classes because I enjoy it now...

I'm not arguing for or against how companions are now...but I do believe that the +presence gain you get from influence will be brought down in the future.

And I would be fine with that, I just think it is stupid when people cry for a general nerf of companions, since the players without much presence should also be able to play the game.

Sure, BioWare gives one the option, but it is the player who desides to max out the Presence stat that is making the companions really that powerful.

I created a new character on Harbinger, where I've got no legacy at all, and played through Tython. T7 still showed up with roughly double my health and damage. I played only the critical path quests and then let T7 try soloing Bengal Moore and the Forge Guardian fights, and he didn't even hit half health.

Whatshisface isn't doing himself any favors maxing out Presence, and Influence and, Gear and all that ... but his companions would be OP even if he didn't. There's no option involved.

No one here is in any position to determine who the majority or minority is on various issues. So stop passing things off like you have polled the games population.

You are here to voice your concerns, not put words into others mouths or pass off your opinion as some sort of gospel.

Someone is mad.

I created a new character on Harbinger, where I've got no legacy at all, and played through Tython. T7 still showed up with roughly double my health and damage. I played only the critical path quests and then let T7 try soloing Bengal Moore and the Forge Guardian fights, and he didn't even hit half health.

Whatshisface isn't doing himself any favors maxing out Presence, and Influence and, Gear and all that ... but his companions would be OP even if he didn't. There's no option involved.

You left out the part where you mention the status of YOUR hitpoints after the match. If you die first, what the companion has matters little.

Also that's really stupid excuse, OH I idled while my companion took out the boss while I didn't raise my aggro and pull the boss of my companion. OF course nothing will befall you. <<<<>>>>> your story is also flawed because you didn't TIME it with a stopwatch. What stupid point you've made if it took the companion 15 minutes to kill one enemy. Here's a nice free Easy to Use stopwatch

I think current companion performance is a better training wheel for making better players in the long run. They'll learn about aggro and pulling enemies off a tank. These newbies have to want to continue wanting to play this game as well.

Edited by Falensawino

You left out the part where you mention the status of YOUR hitpoints after the match. If you die first, what the companion has matters little.

Also that's really stupid excuse, OH I idled while my companion took out the boss while I didn't raise my aggro and pull the boss of my companion. OF course nothing will befall you. <<<<>>>>> your story is also flawed because you didn't TIME it with a stopwatch. What stupid point you've made if it took the companion 15 minutes to kill one enemy. Here's a nice free Easy to Use stopwatch

I think current companion performance is a better training wheel for making better players in the long run. They'll learn about aggro and pulling enemies off a tank. These newbies have to want to continue wanting to play this game as well.

Please read again. He let the companion solo the bosses. So he probably had 100% after the fight since he did not engage it.

I was dancing inside the voidzones of the walker boss at the end of episode 3 or 4 and my companion did all the work for me killing the boss. This is no balance.

Edited by Neglience

Please read again. He let the companion solo the bosses. So he probably had 100% after the fight since he did not engage it.
Read my second paragraph. It acknowledges that he took no damage because his player character didn't pull aggro off the companion.

I was dancing inside the voidzones of the walker boss at the end of episode 3 or 4 and my companion did all the work for me killing the boss. This is no balance.
stopwatch it. time it and see if the time it takes a companion to kill everything alone is an acceptable use of your time. Edited by Falensawino

Also that's really stupid excuse, OH I idled while my companion took out the boss while I didn't raise my aggro and pull the boss of my companion. OF course nothing will befall you. <<<<>>>>> your story is also flawed because you didn't TIME it with a stopwatch. What stupid point you've made if it took the companion 15 minutes to kill one enemy. Here's a nice free

I think current companion performance is a better training wheel for making better players in the long run. They have to want to continue wanting to play this game.

My point wasn't that nothing happened to me, my point was that nothing happened to T7. He killed the two end bosses of my planetary story by himself, without dropping below 50% health. I win fights whether I do anything or not because I've got an AI companion more powerful than me, the player character and hero of the story, who can just play the game for me. And all this without any Legacy Presence bonus. So of course my hitpoints were fine, no enemy ever touched me.

Unless you're saying that it's appropriate for the player's actions in combat to not actually alter the outcome, something is clearly unbalanced.

Edited by ReverendAnderson

My point wasn't that nothing happened to me, my point was that nothing happened to T7. He killed the two end bosses of my planetary story by himself, without dropping below 50% health. I win fights whether I do anything or not because I've got an AI companion more powerful than me, the player character and hero of the story, who can just play the game for me. And all this without any Legacy Presence bonus. So of course my hitpoints were fine, no enemy ever touched me.

Unless you're saying that it's appropriate for the player's actions in combat to not actually alter the outcome, something is clearly unbalanced.

You didn't have any player actions during your combat session... your story is flawed because you didn't pull the mob group yourself taking first wave of damage, all guns are on you and if you DPS during this fight you'll keep threat on you, more guns on the player. There is a chance to die, depends on how engaged you are in the fight.

IF you control+1 while you sit back far enough and watch. You've had no player actions, the game gives you the freedom to do nothing. This unbalanced companion you're complaining about is actually player freedom. You stand to limit player freedom?

My second point was the time it takes the AI to do everything on it's own. If you're not timing it, you're not gauging how much time you waste by not doing anything in a fight. What good is letting the AI do everything if it adds three times as much time to complete an objective, not to mention the player attention it requires to not let the companion sit idle while you're alt+tabbed. Doing nothing even with a super companion is costly, you waste time.

Edited by Falensawino

You didn't have any player actions during your combat session... your story is flawed because you didn't pull the mob group yourself taking first wave of damage, all guns are on you and if you DPS during this fight you'll keep threat on you, more guns on the player. There is a chance to die, depends on how engaged you are in the fight.

IF you control+1 while you sit back far enough and watch. You've had no player actions, the game gives you the freedom to do nothing. This unbalanced companion you're complaining about is actually player freedom. You stand to limit player freedom?

My second point was the time it takes the AI to do everything on it's own. If you're not timing it, you're not gauging how much time you waste by not doing anything in a fight.

The fact that fights can be won without player action is exactly the problem. Winning faster because I helped my companion does not solve the issue that winning is a forgone conclusion and my companion is more powerful than I am.

The fact that fights can be won without player action is exactly the problem. Winning faster because I helped my companion does not solve the issue that winning is a forgone conclusion and my companion is more powerful than I am.
You didn't see the first point I tried to get across. The risk to player requires player actions, sitting back and watching brings zero risk to the player. You need to be performing combat actions to hold aggro and get shot. This is an MMO, everything is calculated in time to complete content. you only have 24 hours in a day. Who on Earth is going to take on the player challenge to clear 1-50 class story with no player actions. Just control+1 every fight and then /played when you finish chapter 3. If it's possible isn't the problem, it's how long it took you to do it. Opportunity cost is a double-edged sword. Sure you "could" do it, but do you really want to waste the time when you could be doing something else ingame.

companions in 4.0 is a good balance between time vs. effort. You could put in 0 effort but you'll waste a lot of time. if you put in effort you'll save time. MMO's don't start until end game, singleplayer class missions and story have no effect on the overall group content and warzones. What's the problem with allowing more creative ways to complete singleplayer content?

This isn't Dark Souls or Bloodborne, if you want difficulty go play a game like that. Rogue-like no respawn permadeath. RIP your time.

Edited by Falensawino

I see threads like "Too much EXP" I'm worried Bioware might somehow think they think for a majority of the fans. We have tried it the way most of you have played the endless grinding. The slow experience. What was the result of that been. It's been very bad for business.

Now you want go back to failed business model that caused this game to go under a million subs. That to people is the smart route. Lets remind people why they did this in the first place. It's because many people who been here since beta didn't like it. They quit. Now you want re-turn us to the slow grind we come to know and hate...because YOU don't like the new experience.

Companions are an option. No one is forcing you to play with them. In fact you can "dismiss companion" you don't have to play with them at all. I don't get why some people want it removed for EVERYONE even though they have an option to just not play with it. It's like "If I don't get it my way I want ruin it for everyone else"

Stanley Woo, please go and stay go. I personally don't mind companions as they are now, but the exp complaints are legitimate. You hit the new raised level cap before you're even halfway finished with the current story content. Seems a little silly to me, considering I've maxed out three 60s in early access, that is to say before the game's officially even released.

And suggesting that the problem be addressed by saying "You don't HAVE to use a major selling point and feature of the game!" is just absurd. There's tweaking that needs to be done, especially considering that right now there's no good reason to use anything but a healing spec on companions, because it's so objectively better and allows you to soak up infinite damage on anything short of Ops-level content. I think a happy medium could be reached by making companions a little less crazy to start out with, but reaching the current levels of strength as you max out their influence.

Stanley Woo, please go and stay go. I personally don't mind companions as they are now, but the exp complaints are legitimate. You hit the new raised level cap before you're even halfway finished with the current story content. Seems a little silly to me, considering I've maxed out three 60s in early access, that is to say before the game's officially even released.

And suggesting that the problem be addressed by saying "You don't HAVE to use a major selling point and feature of the game!" is just absurd. There's tweaking that needs to be done, especially considering that right now there's no good reason to use anything but a healing spec on companions, because it's so objectively better and allows you to soak up infinite damage on anything short of Ops-level content. I think a happy medium could be reached by making companions a little less crazy to start out with, but reaching the current levels of strength as you max out their influence.

Their hasn't been enough experience given before. That is a legitimate. People seem to forget the past the three years they made the grinding a slow painful one and companions were easily killed. That hasn't been fun. Maybe to a handful of people the slow grind on end to get to the "class missions" was fun for them. Things have have changed and for the better I think.

You want there to be a middle ground. All I hear from people is "strip it from everyone because my companion is OP" then the reply is "dismiss your companion" and the reply for that is "Don't tell me how to play" yet these people want to do EXACTLY that by stripping the companions of their buffs. You at the very least have an option to play the game without the companion. Stripping them of their buff gives no option. Honestly, I haven't taken a poll or anything. I think its a very small fraction of the same people complaining again and again creating threads. Can't we at least wait a month before you say how you don't like it. Would that be reasonable.

Just to wait a month. I'm not a business expert by any means. It seems to me more people are coming back for the expansion. They like not having to die every 15 minutes. Who honestly enjoys dying more often then doing the story. If you think there should be a middle ground. I'd be happy to hear it but stripping them of their buff should be an option. Ruining it for everyone because you personally dislike it is unfair.

Edited by RogerApple

People seem to forget the past the three years they made the grinding a slow painful one and companions were easily killed.

I've been playing since 1.2 and this statement has never been true.

You don't have to be a statistician to look at the bloated numbers and know that something went wrong somewhere.

This argument is tired and nonsensical. It'd be like if Nintendo made a new Mario game that started players out with 25 lives and someone saying, "Don't like it? Just run into the first Goomba 22 times."

And, yes, this game was never a grind. Compared to most MMOs (at lest any that I've played), this game has always handed EXP out like candy. There was no need to increase it. While I understand they needed to make quest rewards level appropriate because of level sync, they still clearly boosted the amount of equivalent EXP rewards.

12XP was a nice gesture and great for what it did, but it should have always been a temporary thing.

I think it would have been better if, instead of giving boosted EXP, they should have boosted creds and given the option of a large amount of green crystals or a small amount of blue (with maybe changing to blue/purple once true level was 60+).

I see threads like "Too much EXP" I'm worried Bioware might somehow think they think for a majority of the fans. We have tried it the way most of you have played the endless grinding. The slow experience. What was the result of that been. It's been very bad for business.

Now you want go back to failed business model that caused this game to go under a million subs. That to people is the smart route. Lets remind people why they did this in the first place. It's because many people who been here since beta didn't like it. They quit. Now you want re-turn us to the slow grind we come to know and hate...because YOU don't like the new experience.

Companions are an option. No one is forcing you to play with them. In fact you can "dismiss companion" you don't have to play with them at all. I don't get why some people want it removed for EVERYONE even though they have an option to just not play with it. It's like "If I don't get it my way I want ruin it for everyone else"

If by 'new experience' you mean being able to level just for talking to an NPC, then yes, I suppose it is. In my world, playing a game means actually playing a game and figuring out why a boss is so hard to kill, or finding that one sweet spot between mobs you don't want to aggro because instant death....Sometimes it means exploring the terrain to find easter eggs or, I don't know, datacrons.

There should be risk for every action. Otherwise it's not really a game, but a theme park where nobody ever struggles and everyone gets to the end with no effort.

The ones who want them nerfed are such a small minority it's insane, believe me complainers are loud and that can feel like there is many of them, but there isn't.

Yep, everyone that wants the game to require you to switch your brain to on is the minority. Seriously, get out of here with that.

In these forums lately if you don't kiss BWs rear end you are labelled the minority. It is rather sad to be honest. No one is asking for your companions to be worthless, we are asking for them to be brought in line with OUR own stats, not like they were before.

Edited by mmmbuddah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.