The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

R.I.P. Jawa Missile Launcher.

Reno_Tarshil

Are they never to return these abilities? Are they gone because they just rushed things?

I wouldn't say they rushed things, but in their efforts to make all companions able to tank/heal/deal damage, they took a lot of their unique abilities away to streamline the process.

It doesn't seem like it was entirely intentional or unintentional, more like a combination of the two. I don't think they expected people to be so upset about their companions losing all their signature moves.

Edited by AlphaHydri

They managed to keep Tharan's Deploy Holiday ability, but that was just a visual effect and does the same thing as the other healer stun, just looks amusing. Was the effect of Blizz's rocket launcher different from other ranged tank abilities?

I haven't leveled a bounty hunter high enough to get Blizz so I don't know what the original ability was like. I guess I should mourn the missed opportunity.

Oh, fair enough. My bad assumption there.

I thought I heard my Shadow squee when I noticed the ability was still there and then went to the test dummies to confirm it was the same as before.

(...yeah, it was my Shadow squeeing and not me. Nope, utterly impossible.) :D

They managed to keep Tharan's Deploy Holiday ability, but that was just a visual effect and does the same thing as the other healer stun, just looks amusing. Was the effect of Blizz's rocket launcher different from other ranged tank abilities?

I haven't leveled a bounty hunter high enough to get Blizz so I don't know what the original ability was like. I guess I should mourn the missed opportunity.

Well, the way the healer's stun ability works is the way Holiday has always worked. And no, Blizz's rocket launcher wasn't functionally different from other ranged tank abilities, but function isn't why people are upset about all this. They're upset because it takes away the uniqueness of the characters.

The ability had Blizz pull out a shoulder launcher about the size of him and fire a missile at the enemy.

Lokin still transform into a Rakghoul in dps and tank stance, Treek and HK-51 both keep their old animations, so i belive it is posible that if we make enough noise about it the rest of the companions could yet their animations back

like Temple's force burst and Nadia's wild energy.

Don't see why they didn't just leave it alone on the original comps. Make it so they still had their full suite in their standard mode, then also have the copy-pasta assortment for alt modes, like you can use Scourge as an acceptable Healer if needed but Tanking is where he's best. Blizz with his zipline and rocket launcher, Torian with flamethrowers and wristblade, Bowdar backhanding people into low orbit, etc etc. The characters and their personalities are really what makes this game after all.

Well, the way the healer's stun ability works is the way Holiday has always worked. And no, Blizz's rocket launcher wasn't functionally different from other ranged tank abilities, but function isn't why people are upset about all this. They're upset because it takes away the uniqueness of the characters.

Indeed. I don't think anyone would have cared if they had altered the old unique abilities to be numerically identical to the new "standard" abilities for companions type, just as long as they had retained their unique animations that made them special.

The loss of what little uniqueness our companions had to set them apart is really saddening.

I've mentioned this a few times before, but it's this removal of unique companion abilities that takes what should be a fun expansion for me and turns it into an annoyance. It's as though BioWare forgot that it's the small details that people notice the most. Especially when those details are missing or altered beyond their expectations.

The irony is, they could have made almost all the changes they did without touching the unique abilities each character has and could have avoided a lot of this backlash to their update. A perfect example is how the agent has two different hotbars that use bar 1 based on whether or not the agent is in cover. Have a toggle on the companion hotbar that provides a companion specific set of abilities based on the role selected. To improve companion characterization and identity, these could be thematic to each character. However, BioWare decided that every companion cannot be unique and must have near identical roles and abilities.

All of the healers lost their "cleanse" abilities as well. On fire? Too bad, have some kolto.

Wait, isn't kolto flammable?

From the ability list of a companion set to heal mode:

"Kolto Drip - Slowly releases Kolto on the target healing and cleansing physical and mental effects for 2957 for 9 seconds."

Yes, such a tragic loss.

You may begin backpedaling and fling a distraction now.

I don't think they expected people to be so upset about their companions losing all their signature moves.

Of course, I mean how could anyone expect the people, who have been pestering them with questions and pleads for their old companions to the point where they assured us we could still do non-story content with them, to be upset about them messing with said companions...

From the ability list of a companion set to heal mode:

"Kolto Drip - Slowly releases Kolto on the target healing and cleansing physical and mental effects for 2957 for 9 seconds."

Yes, such a tragic loss.

You may begin backpedaling and fling a distraction now.

You end with that comment, and yet your post makes for multiple instances in which you've made it a point to include some form of personal jab.

Irony, thy name is internet, Oh well.

/plonk

At any rate, the next time one of my characters is on fire, or poisoned, or whatever, and the DoT effect is actually cleansed instead of running its full course, will be the first time since 4.0 launched. I've stood there on fire or poisoned through and after a fight, with a companion healer standing right there, and no cleansing occurred, many times now. In contrast, if something set my Merc on fire pre-4.0, Mako's next move was almost always to use her version of the Merc's Cure ability.

So even if it says it has a cleanse effect, either the companions aren't using it, or it's broken and not actually cleansing -- and given the buggy mess that 4.0 has been, flip a coin on which one it is.

E: just tested it again. Whatever's supposed to be happening with that companion healing skill, it's not happening.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

I miss my exploding padawan. How many force explosion Nadia used to perform in a row? 3? 4?

Enough to critically injure the mobs swarming around her and knock them back into a new group or two of mobs.

Managing companion accidental pulls is no longer an issue, but I am sort of missing the AOE threat and AOE damage that disappeared in the great companion single target buff festival.

That's what I don't understand. I have no problem with unified skills but why Bioware didn't KEEP visual effects for different companions? They didn't have to CREATE new animations. They were already in the game. So why Bioware? Why? Why you didn't put those animations for unified skills?

What's the point of having more companions than 6? What's the point of maxing out influence on every companion?