Lack of Community and Depth - Why I believe this game will fail

KnikesBlack

Regarding 1)

Because the most fun part of an MMO is running around the Capital going "I need some help with something" for an hour and a half, finding someone, them dropping out before they finish, then spending another 30 mins looking for someone else. I'm okay with things being a little more single-player. I get sick of looking for tanks half the time, I can't imagine looking for help with everything.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding 1)

Because the most fun part of an MMO is running around the Capital going "I need some help with something" for an hour and a half, finding someone, them dropping out before they finish, then spending another 30 mins looking for someone else. I'm okay with things being a little more single-player. I get sick of looking for tanks half the time, I can't imagine looking for help with everything.

Quests for the most part should be solo. Flashpoints and heroics should not is more so the point I'm making, i think if BW ramped up the difficulty for flashpoints/heroics OR setup flashpoints where you get separated from your companions for a portion of some of them would promote more grouping.

Also usually after a flashpoint or 2, you should have some friends on your list that you can ask to join you rather than having to pug all the time :)

It's strange to think that the games biggest asset could also be it's major flaw.

The story.

The way SWtOR is structured is built around your char's story, as we all now know this has led to a very linear world. In truth it did not bother me overly until I got to Tatooine which, I have to say, is a disaster. Because you jump onto your Speeder, with miles and miles of unexplored dunes ahead, and after two or three minutes you hit those invisible walls.

You even lack the simple ability to travel from one zone to another under your own steam.

I like the combat, even the quests are fun when they're not throwing gold elites at you every 10 metres or so, the graphics are fine, but the gameworld is rubbish. I doubt it's going to be enough for me to be perfectly honest, and I'm not a huge explorer by any means, but the boxed in feeling really does leave me flat.

Quests for the most part should be solo. Flashpoints and heroics should not is more so the point I'm making, i think if BW ramped up the difficulty for flashpoints/heroics OR setup flashpoints where you get separated from your companions for a portion of some of them would promote more grouping.

Also usually after a flashpoint or 2, you should have some friends on your list that you can ask to join you rather than having to pug all the time :)

Oh I understand the point OP was making. I don't think Flashpoints and Heroics should be solo, I have guildies for Flashpoints, but the OP suggests that the game doesn't require enough dependence on others. My counter-point is that other players can be hard to come by and unreliable.

Adding to my points, the kind of transactions that this requires are 5 min translations and really add no community beyond "Can you enchant this?" "Sure" "Thanks, here's 5 gold."

SWG SWG SWG blah blah blah blah...

The less this game is like SWG the better. Good riddance to that tired old dirt farming simulation.

SWG was all about community? Then I'm glad SWTOR is friendly to solo gameplay.

SWG had a bunch of tedious stuff to do at endgame? Then I'm glad SWTOR encourages re-rolling new story content.

SWG was let you explore vast empty nothingness? Then I'm glad SWTOR focuses on a linear story.

In short, I hope they never do anything similar to SWG. That game is poison. It's dead and gone where it should be. The sooner its fans figure that out the better.

Oh I understand the point OP was making. I don't think Flashpoints and Heroics should be solo, I have guildies for Flashpoints, but the OP suggests that the game doesn't require enough dependence on others. My counter-point is that other players can be hard to come by and unreliable.

Adding to my points, the kind of transactions that this requires are 5 min translations and really add no community beyond "Can you enchant this?" "Sure" "Thanks, here's 5 gold."

Alright then, you and I are on the same page then, my apologies! That's what guilds and friends are for, hell I force all my guild members to download vent(old school I know)

My concern that I was linking to the OP was there are people in this game who find the grouping/mmo experience an annoyance to the single player experience they are trying to have.

Edited by Nussianis

I highly disagree.

Well, the developers of SWG disagree with you. They've openly admitted that, pre-CU, they were bleeding subscriptions at an alarming rate. The CU and NGE were both implemented in a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding and regain subs. Had SWG been highly successful pre-CU, the CU and the NGE would've never happened.

Go ahead, look it up if you don't believe me, but it's the cold, hard truth. They didn't change the game on a zany whim, they did it because they thought it was the only way the game might have a chance to survive.

People just don't know what an MMO actually is these days.

WoW has poisoned everyones minds and made people think an MMO is a singleplayer game with a chatbox to chat to fellow single players and get help if something is too difficult for them to singlehandedly conquer.

SWG was perfect in terms of multiplayer aspect because the community made the game.

One thing I deeply miss is the crafting system and player cities, if these 2 features were in this game then I'd be happy.

And possibly more open expansion and less linearness and bigger maps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.