Overpowered companions 4.0

Falkuhn

I'm not saying it's "NOT a problem"...I am, however, saying that you are making it a problem for yourself.

I believe that you can still play the game and have fun with companions being the way there are now.

The only way for anyone to realize that companions can do it all themselves...is for said person to allow the companions to do it all themselves.

So, my point is, that sitting back and letting the companions do it all themselves, and then complaining that your companions are doing it all themselves, is absurd.

To say that the companions need a bit of a nerf is one thing...but to come here complaining that they do it all themselves is another thing entirely.

Jump in, fight along side them, and have fun. If they are really deemed too overpowered, a nerf will be coming.

I think 4.0A saw a bit of a nerf for companions, I'm seeing visible differences between 4.0 and this latest update for them.

That aside, there is a very very VERY simple solution for anyone who allows companions to do everything alone, DON'T let them get away with it; get involved, take the lead with your chars, is that so hard that you need to come here and gripe about companions doing everything for you, because you can't be arsed to do anything yourselves?

To this I say, it's your fault for letting them; and the solution is very simple:

You're playing a game, play it; take the lead, get your chars involved. No-one else should be made to suffer as a result of those players who don't want to do that which is so plainly obvious, it's not our fault if they cannot be bothered to involve their character in combat.

Though I have to say, allowing your comps to do whatever allows you to take it easy, IF that's what you want; I don't have to ignore the guild chat every time combat starts, or crew missions or whatever. But, personally, I'd rather get involved in the combat than hang back; you all can too, if only you believe.

Edited by sentientomega

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 4.0A saw a bit of a nerf for companions, I'm seeing visible differences between 4.0 and this latest update for them.

My companions seem the same. I am still doing the majority of DPS in all my encounters. Love healing stance, it makes downtime nonexistent between fights. Which was a huge complaint I had with this game.

The downtime , overpowered Silver/Gold mobs, excessive trash ETC, made this games combat extremely tedious/boring. The Change to companions helps get rid of the biggest complaint I had with SWTOR.

Edited by jakeobione

I'm not saying it's "NOT a problem"...I am, however, saying that you are making it a problem for yourself.

I believe that you can still play the game and have fun with companions being the way there are now.

The only way for anyone to realize that companions can do it all themselves...is for said person to allow the companions to do it all themselves.

So, my point is, that sitting back and letting the companions do it all themselves, and then complaining that your companions are doing it all themselves, is absurd.

To say that the companions need to be tuned down is one thing...but to come here complaining that they do it all themselves is another thing entirely.

Jump in, fight along side them, and have fun. If they are really deemed too overpowered, then a change will happen.

I do not sit back and let companions do it all themselves and it's ridiculous you assume I do. However, the way the system is now pressing 1111111111111 feels exactly the same as using your combos. How is that fun? It's brainless button mashing. Also, do you understand that the reason that people are bringing up the fact that this game doesn't require gameplay BECAUSE it perfectly illustrates how desperately this game NEEDS to be tuned down? It's a symptom of the underlying problem.

Competing against your companion for kills is not fun, by the way, other poster. Also, it's not a solution for the actual problem. I'm genuinely surprised by the amount of people in here who seemingly want this game to play like a game for four year olds.

I for one am enjoying it very much, it took me a long time to get all companions in every class to max affection including HK and Treek and now I'm reaping the rewards of it like may other people.

If I'm finding a fight of heroic way too easy I simply disable all but one of my comps heals and let fun continue.

I do not sit back and let companions do it all themselves and it's ridiculous you assume I do. However, the way the system is now pressing 1111111111111 feels exactly the same as using your combos. How is that fun? It's brainless button mashing. Also, do you understand that the reason that people are bringing up the fact that this game doesn't require gameplay BECAUSE it perfectly illustrates how desperately this game NEEDS to be tuned down? It's a symptom of the underlying problem.

Competing against your companion for kills is not fun, by the way, other poster. Also, it's not a solution for the actual problem. I'm genuinely surprised by the amount of people in here who seemingly want this game to play like a game for four year olds.

The Combat in SWTOR has always been brainless button mashing, with ability bloat to boot. Bioware simply removed the annoyance of it, by making companions useful.

I like how some folks are trying to dress up SWTOR combat system pre 4.0 as being a challenge or engaging. It's always been garbage, and a weak point of SWTOR, along with it's god awful engine.

Edited by jakeobione

The Combat in SWTOR has always been brainless button mashing, with ability bloat to boot. Bioware simply removed the annoyance of it, by making companions useful.

Nah. It used to matter when I used my cooldowns, such as interrupts, and stuns, on heroic and elite mobs. I remember many bosses for class stories I couldn't beat until I properly understood my skills and used them when needed.

But look, I'm all for a difficulty decrease from what there was before, and most companion changes I'm fine with. However, there's a difference between easy and so-easy-a-toddler-can-play-it. And this game is DEFINITELY the latter right now.

Edited by PinkiePiePower

Nah. It used to matter when I used my cooldowns, such as interrupts, and stuns, on heroic and elite mobs. I remember many bosses for class stories I couldn't beat until I properly understood my skills and used them when needed.

But look, I'm all for a difficulty decrease from what there was before, and most companion changes I'm fine with. However, there's a difference from easy and so-easy-a-toddler-can-play-it. And this game is DEFINITELY the latter right now.

I Haven't had the interrupt button on my bar since 3.0 started. There wasn't a class story boss you couldn't beat in Greens in 3.0

You are talking about a SWTOR that died like years ago.

Honestly if people want a seriously challenging MMO experience. You can buy a legacy version of the original EQ, and play on project1999 server for FREE.

That is a true challenge.

Edited by jakeobione

OK, maybe this will help.

I finally got my wife to play this game (after years of begging). We ran the starter planet together until we got our companion then proceeded to a heroic instance with said companions in tow.

I have 23 characters who have finished their story lines (up to KotFE) and she has none. I sent my companion solo against a gold star mob and he took it down in about 15 seconds. I then had her do the same...her companion got squashed in about 15 seconds.

Clearly the presence buffs make a difference, after we got to the fleet I gave her enough credits to get her influence over 10K (via gifts) with said companion, went out and found an at level gold elite and her comp was able to hold its own. Didn't overpower the mobs but did enough damage to outlast it and keep her safe. That's what a companion is supposed to do, right? Clearly any perceived "OP"ness of companions is due to how they've been buffed to help out newer players.

My 2 cents.

So let me get this straight.

You have the ABILITY to adjust your gameplay experience to get the challenge you want, but you won't do it because it conflicts with some philosophy about how game developers should be tuning content?

I can see both sides of this argument.

PvE should mean Player versus Environment, which indicates a level of challenge you need to overcome to progress. That's where many people get their fun, figuring out what they need to do to get onto the next stage. Unfortunately in an MMO environment it seems to be tricky to implement some form of ingame difficulty slider :(

Having to handicap yourself to get an artificial challenge is not quite the same thing.

That's why I suggested a Wave mechanic before as that doesn't set a static difficulty but slowly ratchets up the challenge to a point the player struggles and has to develop their skills/ gear to get a higher score (you don't use it to gate content though so it would have no use in the linear story, but as a stand alone it adds in some content for those that like solo PvE content)

My first experience of the new companion mechanics was with a play through of the new content, my character had unlocked the +500 presence, most of the datacrons (throw in Legendary as well) and it didn't seem to matter which new companion was partnered up the content just melted away.

Now that I'm further through the xpac and starting to go into building the alliance, going back to previous content and running the heroics with a companion (influence 30) I'm noticing the level sync kicks in and has a noticeable effect. It's nice to see my health bar wavering again, and in one of the previous H4s (now a H2) I accidentally pulled two groups and had to pop my defensive cool downs :o

The only issue I now have is the narrative dissonance it conjours up.

The Eternal Empire that has brushed aside the Imperial and Republic forces poses no challenge, but I go back to a starting world to run a heroic or two and I have to pay a little more attention ;)

I have only one regret now. That I have 5 months of sub left. I don't like wasting money. But, on the other hand, I like and respect myself, and when situation demands I just count my losses, learn, and move on.

This is so simple: companion should not, never, in any situation, have the double of my health, do more damage than I or be any way stronger than I am. This is now the case with my companions. There is nothing I can do to make them weaker. I can't turn the presence off. If the solution is to make MYSELF weaker this game is not for me anymore.

Don't you people defending this BS feel cheap cheaters? Because I do. Are you that kind of people who anyway cheat through life and always wait someone else to do the work for you? See, as you can twist and turn things around so can I. Me thinks EA would make tons of profit if they would just begin to sell real P2W-stuff for you. Like, weapons and armor that are really Godly and you can have them only through Cartel Market. I bet you guys would have your credit cards singing.

I don't really care what is not working here, level scaling or presence or whatever. Something is wrong. It might not affect everyone. It should be looked at and you people fighting against it are doing it for the reasons I can't understand, on the other hand, I have always had a problem to understand the mindset of greedy people. If your companion is not op, then good. My game is gimped and I'm needed only to do choices in cutscenes. That is not a reason I play games for. Stories are awesome thing to have, but I expect to have a gameplay too.

I have only one regret now. That I have 5 months of sub left. I don't like wasting money. But, on the other hand, I like and respect myself, and when situation demands I just count my losses, learn, and move on.

This is so simple: companion should not, never, in any situation, have the double of my health, do more damage than I or be any way stronger than I am. This is now the case with my companions. There is nothing I can do to make them weaker. I can't turn the presence off. If the solution is to make MYSELF weaker this game is not for me anymore.

Don't you people defending this BS feel cheap cheaters? Because I do. Are you that kind of people who anyway cheat through life and always wait someone else to do the work for you? See, as you can twist and turn things around so can I. Me thinks EA would make tons of profit if they would just begin to sell real P2W-stuff for you. Like, weapons and armor that are really Godly and you can have them only through Cartel Market. I bet you guys would have your credit cards singing.

I don't really care what is not working here, level scaling or presence or whatever. Something is wrong. It might not affect everyone. It should be looked at and you people fighting against it are doing it for the reasons I can't understand, on the other hand, I have always had a problem to understand the mindset of greedy people. If your companion is not op, then good. My game is gimped and I'm needed only to do choices in cutscenes. That is not a reason I play games for. Stories are awesome thing to have, but I expect to have a gameplay too.

It's a game, relax.

Also you do not know everyone's personal life on here, I wouldn't make accusations there, unless you have lived said person's life's.

Edited by jakeobione

Does that drama queen crap actually work? :eek:

Again, I think the folks....at least some folks....that were celebrating a return to difficult content that would drive away casuals (level sync) were rudely surprised when they logged in and tried it out.

This is similar to the crusade against Treek many moons ago. Frankly all companions are now the way that Treek was back then, making Treek the go to companion for casual players.

Does that mean this will not get nerfed into oblivion? Come on, this is Bioware.....of course the chance is pretty high your companions will be turned into tissue paper. That is their MO after all.

Here is the thing....NONE OF THIS WAS NECESSARY IMO. The level sync, companion changes, mob loot drop changes, all this has done is thrown everything out of whack, yet again. Like the changes or not they are pretty substantial, and in need of slight adjustments here and there.

Which naturally means hammer to glass.

Hi all,

Sorry if this is being talked about elsewhere but I can't find another topic.

Why are companions severely overpowered now? I'm on Dromund Kaas and my companion (Mako, as a healer) has almost 3x as much health as I do.

Dismiss your companion then. Honestly, if you want a challenge so much then remove dismiss them. Not everyone wants a challenge the 20th time they level a toon.

I ENJOY companions being OP and love every second of it. If they did what YOU wanted, then veteran players like me would not enjoy it at all. If I want a challenge I do a HM ops with guild. Other than that, not interested. Life is enough challenge and some of us want to play a game to escape and enjoy.

I prefer content to essentially be fairly simple, that way people that WANT it hard can make it that way if they choose, such as dismissing companions. If I am in the mood to do hard things then I can, not have it forced on me.

Edited by DarthVengeant

The babies crying about other people having fun with usable companions should just play without them active for an accurate simulation of pre-4.0 Companions.

It's what you whiners want, right?

No. Their lives are empty and devoid of joy unless they have something to blame for why they seem to be perpetually unhappy with everything and other players to try to look down their noses at for being the causes of all this badwrongfun nobody's allowed (in their worldview) to have.

Honestly, ignoring them entirely is probably best.

Honestly, if you want challenge, just turn your companion to the same role you are- healer, tank, DPS. I have a DPS merc with DPS HK, and every fight is still a fight (heh) to get through. CHALLENGE HAD!

My tank Trooper? Same thing with 4X.

Also, as others have said, you can still take companions out to flashpoints and other challenging content, and not ruin the over all game, let alone the base content with companions!

EVERYONE WINS! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Like I said earlier, the companions balance out end-game, and are definitely not overpowered. They are intentionally overpowered early game so you can completely focus on the story, and get through it it quickly, while saving up all your crytals to get a full set of lvl 65 basic gear, which you will be able to do if you save them up from the start. Then, once you hit end game, you and your companion will be evenly matched, and you can actually die, and so can your companion.

If they nerf companions, they may not be overpowered early game, but I guarantee they will be useless again come end-game.

So, please stop calling nerf until you have played and beat end-game. As a person who has beat KOTFE 1-9, I can say without a doubt companions are not overpowered.

Edited by cool-dude