Legacy names -- allow us to change them

AJediKnight

i heard they can remove names if they are against the rules (uniqueness, TOS, vulgar, etc) but they suddenly dont have the power to remove Surnames under player request...

DERP

Can you please report my surname lol

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont make that assumption because you messed up and chose a bad name that you want to change. Its not their fault

Oh, yes, it most certainly is. Design a system that isn't archaic, and people won't complain. Hell, I'd have deleted every character I had on the server, including two 40+ ones, if it meant getting the name back. I choose to blame this foul design on those who put it together. If that makes you an unhappy little camper, so be it.

I made a mistake -- I freely admit that, and have never hidden from that fact. But don't expect me to sit quietly by and rest on those laurels for months or years. No, I will be vocal about this until they change the system or force me from the forums. You can expect so see this same thread, bumped, until this issue is rectified. And my support will only grow as an increasing number of people come to realize that this design is inherently and attrociously flawed.

Edited by AJediKnight

Oh, yes, it most certainly is. Design a system that isn't archaic, and people won't complain. Hell, I'd have deleted every character I had on the server, including two 40+ ones, if it meant getting the name back. I choose to blame this foul design on those who put it together. If that makes you an unhappy little camper, so be it.

Its your fault, did you research the legacy name? All my guildmembers knew ahead of time what they were doing and didnt make stupid names like bubba fatt (Which I have seen, he is character 4 body type too lol).

This is not their fault that you messed up. They have said about making decisions last, your legacy name was one of them.

Blame them all you want but the fact is the blame is solely placed on you.

Edited by darthdoll

Its your fault, did you research the legacy name? All my guildmembers knew ahead of time what they were doing and didnt make stupid names like bubba fatt (Which I have seen, he is character 4 body type too lol).

This is not their fault that you messes up. They have said about making decisions last, your legacy name was one of them.

Thanks for the bump. Please, keep helping my cause.

Exactly, avoid my questions because you made a mistake... YOU

Keep crying about it. Devs are still wrong. Glad to see it's bothering you so much :D.

/agree

Also, if you are honestly going to keep bumbing this until Bioware bends over for you because YOU messed up, have a fun year of bumbing.

Will do. Thank you both for the continuing support.

Edited by AJediKnight

Its your fault, did you research the legacy name? ...

Speak for yourself darthdoll. I'm sure many people didn't even know about this feature, so how should they research it? Not everyone has the time to read up on every little detail and function (that isn't even implemented at that time) like you and your guildbuddies. I guess ignorance is bliss.

----

I too have the same problem as the threadstarter. While on a mission the legacy window opened up and prompted for a name. I got error messages everytime i tried to type in the name i wanted (tried multiple).

Since the window opened again when i closed it i simply typed in a random name, with which i am stuck now...

I too hope (actually I'm counting on it) that they will take care of this problem, since I see that theres a lot of people that are having issues with this. I wish this was a bit more flexible and user-friendly, because it's a pity that such a minor mistake can obviously strongly decrease the joy you get from the game.

In my opinion the possibility to change the legacy-names (at least once) should be a given.

Speak for yourself darthdoll. I'm sure many people didn't even know about this feature, so how should they research it? Not everyone has the time to read up on every little detail and function (that isn't even implemented at that time) like you and your guildbuddies. I guess ignorance is bliss.

----

I too have the same problem as the threadstarter. While on a mission the legacy window opened up and prompted for a name. I got error messages everytime i tried to type in the name i wanted (tried multiple).

Since the window opened again when i closed it i simply typed in a random name, with which i am stuck now...

I too hope (actually I'm counting on it) that they will take care of this problem, since I see that theres a lot of people that are having issues with this. I wish this was a bit more flexible and user-friendly, because it's a pity that such a minor mistake can obviously strongly decrease the joy you get from the game.

In my opinion the possibility to change the legacy-names (at least once) should be a given.

So, you go and buy a game without knowing details about it? Nice.

----

Don't understand how it could be made more user friendly, easy or clearer.. it clearly states to chose the name and that you will not be able to change it... there is no need to "research" anything... it's not BW's fault you typed in something random and ignored the clear warning that you could not change it later.. it's like complaining you mistyped your account name when making the account and blaming it on the website publisher... is it their bad you fked up yours? no it is solely your's

I have no problem with people asking BW to think about adding an option to change legacy names but I do have one with people complaining and blaming BW for their own failure to read a simple instruction

Edited by Liquidacid

This is not their fault that you messed up. They have said about making decisions last, your legacy name was one of them.

Why do you care if they allow us to change our legacy name? We pay 15/month

we play hours a day, playing for what we paid for.

last I checked 90% of the people on this thread agree that the system as it stands sucks. No ones asked for it to be removed, just changed.

Plus why do we have to go out of our way to look up how their system works? It's not like surnames are a new thing to MMOs. So I'm sure a lot of people thought "hey this is just THIS characters last name, Not your Server surname."

PS. Why Don't you just go out and make a thread and name it "Legacy names -- allow us NOT to change" and lets see how much hits that gets.;)

I really don't agree with one name for all of your characters. They each have their own story. They are not a big family of eight, they should have their own history and last names.

I think BW should rethink this whole legacy system.

I have a problem ... with people complaining and blaming BW for their own failure to read a simple instruction

At which point did i blame anyone? We are simply asking for the possibility to change it, which in my opinion should be there anyway.

Is it so hard to believe that some people got an error/bug/typing mistake while creating the legacy?

Keep your opinion to yourself if you dont have anything productive to add.

last I checked 90% of the people on this thread agree that the system as it stands sucks. No ones asked for it to be removed, just changed.

Plus why do we have to go out of our way to look up how their system works? It's not like surnames are a new thing to MMOs. So I'm sure a lot of people thought "hey this is just THIS characters last name, Not your Server surname."

PS. Why Don't you just go out and make a thread and name it "Legacy names -- allow us NOT to change" and lets see how much hits that gets.;)

It's called ego, Zerv. There's a powerful desire amongst a handful of people on all kinds of forums that drives them to 'win' threads. If they aren't 'winning,' then they believe that the tide can turn; they just need to shout louder.

Again, I don't think the Legacy System needs to be removed, and while I think having one surname for all characters is utterly stupid, I can live with it. What I can not live with, however, is a mistake, hanging around my neck like some albatross for all eternity. That's isn't why I play the game, and it shouldn't be why anyone should be playing the game. What the hell is the point of a game if certain mechanics are killing or dramatically reducing the fun factor for many players? particularly when those factors have no bearing on anyone but the individual?

Nobody is asking to fly, or skip 20 levels, or be handed a free set of epic gear. We want to correct a mistake. That's it.

Edited by AJediKnight

Because, Bioware has stated before that they want lasting affects on characters, your decisions change your play. By simply making it so you can change it to whatever you feel like at any given time makes the legacy feel less important and defeats the purpose that Bioware has set.

Edited by darthdoll

Because, Bioware has stated before that they want lasting affects on characters, your decisions change your play. By simply making it so you can change it to whatever you feel like at any given time makes the legacy feel less important and defeats the purpose that Bioware has set.

Again, your support is much appreciated. I really cannot thank you enough for doing my work for me.

Again, your support is much appreciated. I really cannot thank you enough for doing my work for me.

FYI, the more you do things like this, the faster the Moderators will close this thread because it is no longer on topic. So again, have fun bumping this thread or any other you make for the next year because you, yourself, made a mistake and want Bioware to rectify it.

But doesn't the diplomacy crew skill defeat the purpose of the alignment system?

Getting infinite amount of light/dark points, changes the "lasting affects on your character".

So the decisions you made on X quest to get X amount of dark side points doesn't matter because

I can farm that back on X diplomacy mission.

THAT ''defeats the purpose that Bioware has set'' doesn't it?

Edited by Zerverus

FYI, the more you do things like this, the faster the Moderators will close this thread because it is no longer on topic. So again, have fun bumping this thread or any other you make for the next year because you, yourself, made a mistake and want Bioware to rectify it.

Hey, you're the guys flaming away. And as for closing the thread, I'll simply open another, and another, and another.

You see, the more people unlock the Legacy System, the more will make mistakes; make choices they regret; or decide that they want different names for different characters. There was an extremely potent negative reaction to the system the moment it was announced during Thanksgiving week, and that negative feeling has not burned away with time.

You continue to act like I'm alone; like I am speaking only for myself. And while my motivations -- like all of those who are affiliated with me -- can only be personal, I am hardly the only individual who thinks this is garbage. This thread is more than enough proof of that.

So, yes, continue to threaten closure. That's the spirit. Every reply you feed me merely pops this topic back to the top of the forums.

So in short you want to forbid everyone any changes to the name, even if his name is ridiculously stupid, misspelled or random because it would break the spirit and atmosphere of the game?

It is exactly the other way around, if you think about encountering these names during gameplay!

You should call yourself darth Troll, at least people won't have to try to take you seriously and start a discussion.

Edited by Gan-ja

So in short you want to forbid everyone any changes to the name, even if his name is ridiculously stupid, misspelled or random because it would break the spirit and atmosphere of the game?

It is exactly the other way around, if you think about encountering these names during gameplay!

You should call yourself darth Troll, at least people won't have to try to take you seriously and start a discssion.

Haha ^ +1 dude. :D

All I have to say "Haters gonna Hate". :cool:

Haha ^ +1 dude. :D

All I have to say "Haters gonna Hate". :cool:

Yes, it has been a running theme in this thread. Rarely have I been exposed to people with so unconvincing an argument railing so loudly against something that has absolutely no effect on them.