The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy names -- allow us to change them

AJediKnight

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, this is true; even so with the Skywalkers. But, they are all of the same species.

If I'm some Sith named Joecool Moonwalker, The Prince of Darthness - I don't want some lightsided pantyboy Twi'lek sharing my name. Even if it's actually my alter ego.

The only person who would actually care about a last name is a person who role-plays. On that note, why is something as simple as a last name being taken like it is the end of the world? Do you know how many people in the world share first, middle and last name with others? That's a whole freaking lot, so why can't a bunch of people in the Star Wars universe share the same last name without ever being related? You're troubled that the last name doesn't fit with the race? Well then, use that thing you have inside your head for what it was meant to be used and come up with an explanation. And yes, I tried to do so myself, and came up with 10 different explanations, even for my sage/assassin twi'lek duo being family. It's actually quite simple if you break out of the mold: "ZOMG, I ISH SITH. I HAS TO BE EBIL!" or "ZOMG, I IS JEEEDAI. I HAS TO BE GOODS!"

Even easier if you actually go as far as to pay attention to the storyline inside the game. The Inquisitor is a former slave? Wooooow... so the inquisitor could have come from pretty much anywhere in the galaxy, no? Why can't my inquisitor have been the adopted daughter of a republic senator that later on got captured, sold as a slave, had her force-sensitivity discovered and then sent to Korriban to train? While she is not exactly willing to be the most evil sith around, she can certainly be related to another twi'lek that studies on Tython at the same time, no?

You don't know where your characters came from before they became trooper/smuggler/jedi/whatever, you only have a very simple baseline. So a republic trooper couldn't have had sex with a chiss woman he saved from certain death and that union couldn't have resulted in a child that was later on captured by the Empire and brainwashed, then trained to be an Imperial Agent, the only thing left over from the child's past being the last name of her father that her mother gave her?

Again, use your imagination, people, and I'm sure you can come up with some awesome backgrounds for your characters that will actually be made even more awesome due to the fact you're working with a predetermined last name that might or might not fit for their race, faction, demeanor, etc.

It's not like it will hurt your role-playing skills to come up with it. In fact, I'm sure it will actually help them.

And again... you want to come on my raid? Legacy name or ****. Problem? Hey, it's my raid, I'm not asking you to come along, you came asking me to join.

Okay, yes, we get it -- your silly raids on some unnamed server are going to require people to whip out their legacy names. Except, as I pointed out previously, if that person did something bad on an alt while hiding their legacy name, you wouldn't know it; wouldn't have a clue. In fact, all you have to go on is the known record associated with the first name of the person you're toying with inviting, which is the same as in any other damned game.

As to your lecture on roleplaying: I have characters that predate TOR by over a decade. I am attached to both them and their names. I don't need some kind of lecture from a control freak about how adapting will make me a better roleplayer. Maybe adapting would make *you* a better roleplayer, but I couldn't possibly be any better at it than I already am. You don't mess with perfection.

Now, really; you've said your peace, twice. You've been totally wrong on both occasions, but, hell, when has that stopped anyone from submitting a post?

Edited by AJediKnight

Holding people's actions on one character against their others is pretty childish anyway. It becomes rather more amusing when combined with a call to roleplay better, though.

Because if you're obviously an ******e for no apparent reason on one character, you will be on your best behavior on another? Please.

Since there is no explanation as to what your legacy name actually is (they could have simply said "It's your last name"), and my thing was bugged (the first 6 names I tried wouldn't work because I used invalid characters even though they were all just simple names with nothing but words...), I logged on again and as a test I typed Legacy into the name box and it worked.

Well, as cool as having Legacy as my last name is, let me change it PLEASE.

The legacy legacy.

Sweet,

Okay, yes, we get it -- your silly raids on some unnamed server are going to require people to whip out their legacy names. Except, as I pointed out previously, if that person did something bad on an alt while hiding their legacy name, you wouldn't know it; wouldn't have a clue. In fact, all you have to go on is the known record associated with the first name of the person you're toying with inviting, which is the same as in any other damned game.

As to your lecture on roleplaying: I have characters that predate TOR by over a decade. I am attached to both them and their names. I don't need some kind of lecture from a control freak about how adapting will make me a better roleplayer. Maybe adapting would make *you* a better roleplayer, but I couldn't possibly be any better at it than I already am. You don't mess with perfection.

Now, really; you've said your peace, twice. You've been totally wrong on both occasions, but, hell, when has that stopped anyone from submitting a post?

I have characters that are easily over 20 years old. I have been role-playing since I was nine myself. Starting off with D&D and working my way up. I've played three different Star Wars MMOs where I've created characters and role-played them for several years... in fact, I could probably easily write over a thousand pages for each and every one of said characters. And you know what? That story means absolutely nothing, because it happened to THOSE CHARACTERS. Now I have new ones, and while some might have similar first name to the ones I've used in the past, not one of them would have the same physical description, personality or attitude as any of my previous ones.

As to your claim that you couldn't get any better. Well then, dear, enjoy your limited capabilities. I'm quite aware that as a human being, I always have something new to learn, try, experiment with. If you think you have learned all you can on any one subject, then apparently, my impression from your post about being a fifteen year-old that's throwing temper tantrums was much closer to the truth than I thought. And here I was hoping for an actual discussion with you. Instead of going "Waaaah, we heard your opinion, now shut up," you could have tried to counter it with an actual argument that shows that you tried to do what I asked you to do in that post... namely, use your brain. I think this will be the last time I post in this thread as it seems that I am quite obviously wasting my time.

*blather*

Wow, you know, for the sake of bumping this thread, I'll just say that there have been very few times in my life where I've seen someone post on a forum and wished they posted their character name and server just so I could put them on /ignore.

The only person who would actually care about a last name is a person who role-plays. On that note, why is something as simple as a last name being taken like it is the end of the world? Do you know how many people in the world share first, middle and last name with others? That's a whole freaking lot, so why can't a bunch of people in the Star Wars universe share the same last name without ever being related? You're troubled that the last name doesn't fit with the race? Well then, use that thing you have inside your head for what it was meant to be used and come up with an explanation. And yes, I tried to do so myself, and came up with 10 different explanations, even for my sage/assassin twi'lek duo being family. It's actually quite simple if you break out of the mold: "ZOMG, I ISH SITH. I HAS TO BE EBIL!" or "ZOMG, I IS JEEEDAI. I HAS TO BE GOODS!"

Even easier if you actually go as far as to pay attention to the storyline inside the game. The Inquisitor is a former slave? Wooooow... so the inquisitor could have come from pretty much anywhere in the galaxy, no? Why can't my inquisitor have been the adopted daughter of a republic senator that later on got captured, sold as a slave, had her force-sensitivity discovered and then sent to Korriban to train? While she is not exactly willing to be the most evil sith around, she can certainly be related to another twi'lek that studies on Tython at the same time, no?

You don't know where your characters came from before they became trooper/smuggler/jedi/whatever, you only have a very simple baseline. So a republic trooper couldn't have had sex with a chiss woman he saved from certain death and that union couldn't have resulted in a child that was later on captured by the Empire and brainwashed, then trained to be an Imperial Agent, the only thing left over from the child's past being the last name of her father that her mother gave her?

Again, use your imagination, people, and I'm sure you can come up with some awesome backgrounds for your characters that will actually be made even more awesome due to the fact you're working with a predetermined last name that might or might not fit for their race, faction, demeanor, etc.

It's not like it will hurt your role-playing skills to come up with it. In fact, I'm sure it will actually help them.

Look, I'm glad YOU can be oh-so-creative and force it to work. But don't be so vain as to think that those of us who are unhappy with the current incarnation of this system are simply not creative enough. The point isn't about whether one CAN make it work. Of course we can all deal with it. But if I'm forced to eat sardines every day of my life to survive, that doesn't necessarily make me happy. I want choice.

No, I'm not a roleplayer - but I would like a CHOICE in my surname (since it's available), even if it is something as simple as aesthetics. I mean, Hell, if they scrapped surnames altogether, I doubt I'd flinch. It's the idea of being forced to use the same surname on all my toons. Like a sardine, it stinks.

If I want to use "James Forcekiller" on my bounty hunter - that doesn't fit well on my jedi. And I'm not ditching my RL friends and newly made SWTOR buddies to reroll on another server. And if one toon can have a surname, then all my toons should be able to. Can I be creative and find a universal name? Sure. But I want DIFFERENT surnames on all my toons and I want to play on the same server. There's really no argument to be made. It's preference and it's logic. And, no, we don't think it's the end of the world. (That's not until the latter part of 2012 :p)

There are other points you're missing. Like the fact that one is stuck with his name - even if he/she makes a typo. The fact that one must race to the end of act one (at launch - too late now) if he/she wants a popular name. The fact that little was done to make the general public aware of the consequences of a poorly thought out surname. (You're stuck - either live with it or forget your friends and find a new server)

The system proposed by others in this thread (like that of LOTRO) was not proposed to be detrimental to those who may enjoy the current system. Contrarily, it accomplishes the goals and wishes of both parties.

I'm no expert on game design - but the LOTRO system sounds perfect. However, if Bioware is insistent upon unique surnames then at least give us an option. Make the claimed surname bind-on-account like it is, but give us the option to claim a new surname if we so desire. The new toon with a new surname can still contribute to the legacy. As far as I'm concerned it should be as simple as: Every toon on one server contributes to the legacy of all toons on that server. Surnames should have no bearing on such.

Look, I'm glad YOU can be oh-so-creative and force it to work. But don't be so vain as to think that those of us who are unhappy with the current incarnation of this system are simply not creative enough. The point isn't about whether one CAN make it work. Of course we can all deal with it. But if I'm forced to eat sardines every day of my life to survive, that doesn't necessarily make me happy. I want choice.

No, I'm not a roleplayer - but I would like a CHOICE in my surname (since it's available), even if it is something as simple as aesthetics. I mean, Hell, if they scrapped surnames altogether, I doubt I'd flinch. It's the idea of being forced to use the same surname on all my toons. Like a sardine, it stinks.

If I want to use "James Forcekiller" on my bounty hunter - that doesn't fit well on my jedi. And I'm not ditching my RL friends and newly made SWTOR buddies to reroll on another server. And if one toon can have a surname, then all my toons should be able to. Can I be creative and find a universal name? Sure. But I want DIFFERENT surnames on all my toons and I want to play on the same server. There's really no argument to be made. It's preference and it's logic. And, no, we don't think it's the end of the world. (That's not until the latter part of 2012 :p)

There are other points you're missing. Like the fact that one is stuck with his name - even if he/she makes a typo. The fact that one must race to the end of act one (at launch - too late now) if he/she wants a popular name. The fact that little was done to make the general public aware of the consequences of a poorly thought out surname. (You're stuck - either live with it or forget your friends and find a new server)

The system proposed by others in this thread (like that of LOTRO) was not proposed to be detrimental to those who may enjoy the current system. Contrarily, it accomplishes the goals and wishes of both parties.

I'm no expert on game design - but the LOTRO system sounds perfect. However, if Bioware is insistent upon unique surnames then at least give us an option. Make the claimed surname bind-on-account like it is, but give us the option to claim a new surname if we so desire. The new toon with a new surname can still contribute to the legacy. As far as I'm concerned it should be as simple as: Every toon on one server contributes to the legacy of all toons on that server. Surnames should have no bearing on such.

10000000000000+ light side points :)

I dunno. Publically faceplanting someone like that might be darkside :D.

+1,000,000 of something for the man, though.

Seems like everytime someone gives a reason why they like the legacy system they get faceplanted. :D

Edited by Zerverus

I love you. ^^

Exactly my opinion. And since we're only debating opinions here, everybody can have one. :)

There's a lot of suqealing and squirming in this thread, evenually always culminating in a "I want this" and "I shouldn't put of with that" attitude.

Sheesh... the entitlement of MMORPgamers... best to continue stearing clear off the forum. And for the rest who couldn't be bothered to think or spell-check when entering their legacy name: Congratulations, you've experienced the great thing that is "learning" and "punishment for being lazy/stupid". Welcome to the world! :D

Next step: Going outside and breathing fresh air.

Sheesh... the entitlement of MMORPgamers... best to continue stearing clear off the forum. And for the rest who couldn't be bothered to think or spell-check when entering their legacy name: Congratulations, you've experienced the great thing that is "learning" and "punishment for being lazy/stupid". Welcome to the world! :D.

The funny thing about learning, is that if there is absolutely no way to benefit from a 'lesson,' you might as well not 'teach' it at all.

Also, it's a friggin' game, kid. Nobody popped their head over the trench and got shot in the face; nobody grabbed a downed electrical wire and suddenly found themselves having a casual conversation with St. Peter. The ultimate punishment for mistakes like these shouldn't be to damn people to having no surname; the solution should be to implement a system that either allows for changes, or multiple names per server.

And, as always, you are entitled to your opinion, but I am entitled to tell you that A) it sucks, and B) that it is absolutely none of your business what other people choose to do regarding character names. Because, again, I have to ask: why do you care if other people fix mistakes in their names, or make changes? How does it alter your game experience in any way? It's like driving by a fatal car accident, poking your head out the window, and screaming "HAHA, LEARN TO DRIVE, TARD!" Who profits from behavior like that? Do you think it makes you look smart, or witty, or even cool?

Next step: Going outside and breathing fresh air.

You're posting on a forum... for an MMORPG... and you're telling people to go outside? You fail. You fail hard.

Edited by AJediKnight

I think Bioware hired Ellianshia and TheRealMike to "persuade" us to end debate and leave legacy system as it is lol.

I don't understand, most solutions people propose should be easy for programmers to add/change in game, so why against it.

Sheesh... the entitlement of MMORPgamers... best to continue stearing clear off the forum. And for the rest who couldn't be bothered to think or spell-check when entering their legacy name: Congratulations, you've experienced the great thing that is "learning" and "punishment for being lazy/stupid". Welcome to the world!

Nice to know that making mistakes = being lazy/stupi, mr Perfect.

It was late, i was tired, i read, misunderstood (becouse I'm lazy and stupid of course) and here we have ... Master Sijansur Sijansur, brilliant. Now i want to reset that, for a gold (just like abilities reset) and set a proper surname.

I think Bioware hired Ellianshia and TheRealMike to "persuade" us to end debate and leave legacy system as it is lol.

I don't understand, most solutions people propose should be easy for programmers to add/change in game, so why against it.

Nice to know that making mistakes = being lazy/stupi, mr Perfect.

It was late, i was tired, i read, misunderstood (becouse I'm lazy and stupid of course) and here we have ... Master Sijansur Sijansur, brilliant. Now i want to reset that, for a gold (just like abilities reset) and set a proper surname.

Couldn't of said it better myself, Guess I was to lazy/stupid to know that they would add legacy titles.

Now I'm running around with "The Thegray legacy" fml.

I could hide it but why? I don't want people to think I'm hiding something... :p

Edited by Zerverus

I skimmed the thread sorry, but in my view I think the legacy system is actually kind of cool. What I think should be allowed and solve a lot of our problems is to be allowed a changeable surname for each character. It boggled me that there was no surname slot at character creation.

The legacy name and surnames should NOT be the same thing. Legacy is just a way to identify players and their alts with benefits and that's a neat thing honestly. However to limit people's personal RP and not allowing them a true surname is really annoying to some of us. I've played LotrO and EQ2 and am used to having my own surnames, in both those games you can have:

Prefix title, name, surname, suffix title.

If you so choose. You could choose the legacy name as a suffix if you want in SWTOR.

My game name is Arg, If I can pick my legacy name it will be Arg, all my characters would be Whatever Arg and my main would be Arg Arg.

I think its fkn awesome. Kinda lame you cant change it but at least have some fun with it.

My next character will probably be Argh Arg.

Arghe Arg Argh Arg Arg Arg Arrg Arg Argg Arg.