The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Class Conversation Style at last chapter...hate it.

Lunafox

Hi Luna! :) Nice to see you. I can understand what you mean about you thinking it's terrible. But if you think about it, it goes with the game more in some circumstances. I love the normal style they have with the wheel to, and always thought they could put 3 more choices on the left side of the wheel as well so we all have 6 choices.

However, maybe it's because you aren't used to it in this game yet. I think it's pretty cool for them to add this. At least we have more options now though. I liked kotor series a lot so maybe I'm seeing this from another point of view. Maybe in time you'll get used to it.

It is a nice throwback, but there is absolutely no reason for player character, who has been speaking for last 4 years, to suddenly become mute in certain conversations.

Even if someone likes KOTOR, suddenly making player character mute is just way too jarring with the rest of the game and its supposed "cinematic storytelling", especially when it is about meeting old familiar faces.

So, by all means, keep the interface (or give it slight tweaks, like moving subtitles to their regular place), but make player characters speak like they have been for the past 4 years.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My issue is not the interface itself, it is mostly fine (although they could move subtitles to the lower half of the screen). It is that you player character is suddenly mute. It is very jarring when compared to the rest of the game.

There is no reason for our main character, who has been talking through everything, suddenly turn mute in certain specific conversations.

This is exactly what I mean, you hit it spot on. I've heard my guy from back at lvl 1 on Ord Mantell, go through this incredible story, heard and loved my character since the beginning. Since the release of this game I've listened to that voice and thought "yep that's my smuggler". To have it suddenly go mute on me was horrifying.

Even as a big fan of KOTOR/KOTOR 2, I found the change jarring and I'm really not a fan of the implementation. There have been several "conversations" where there were only 3-4 response options rather than the variety that the system supposedly offers.

Also, it really bugged me when my characters encountered their former companions and couldn't actually talk to them. Choosing text options felt so impersonal when reconnecting with people that actually mattered to them.

I didn't do any myself. I just went by the classic conversation article and thought that the choices we had were what our character could speak and I was totally for that.

But from you guys are telling me that after all this and the whole game of our character speaking the choices we make, that in this format (which I love the format btw like kotor kotor 2) our characters have more choices but they...really don't talk? O.o They stand there like kotor/kotor 2?

Are you serious? Am I missing something here?? I love the look of the interface. Why don't they speak?? It would be perfect blend of cinematic and stuff if they spoke while in that nice format. :confused::confused:

Edited by Sarfux

I didn't do any myself. I just went by the classic conversation article and thought that the choices we had were what our character could speak and I was totally for that.

But from you guys are telling me that after all this and the whole game of our character speaking the choices we make, that in this format (which I love the format btw like kotor kotor 2) our characters have more choices but they...really don't talk? O.o They stand there like kotor/kotor 2?

Are you serious? Am I missing something here?? I love the look of the interface. Why don't they speak?? It would be perfect blend of cinematic and stuff if they spoke while in that nice format. :confused::confused:

No, you are not missing anything. They just stand there like in older BW games (KOTOR, DAO, etc), not doing anything.

No, you are not missing anything. They just stand there like in older BW games (KOTOR, DAO, etc), not doing anything.

Well...damn! If they spoke, THAT would be high quality cinematic right there. 100 percent of the way. The issue is this. They don't speak.

Yes...

Edit: I won't mind if the convo style stays the same but what I want is my character(s) to speak/say something.

I still think the kotor style interface should be optional, I don't like how it throws me out of the game and I also didn't buy a big screen to see half of it in black..

Everything voiced and optional kotor interface would be the best compromise here.

p.s.

Nazdar Ariesi :D

SWTOR toted itself around as the "First Fully Voiced" MMO. Reviewers gave high marks and praised the future of online gaming and MMOs.

So with 4.0 SWTOR takes a huge step back with this new/OLD system and calls it a "feature".

Ok...my biggest complaint is the mandatory lvl sync. But THIS " I am mute" garbage is a VERY CLOSE second. See....that was always my biggest complaint about games like kotor, Elder Scrolls, Legend of Zelda, & Jade Empire. Everybody talks but my characters. Back then I accepted it and chalked it up to hardware limitations. But it's not 1995 anymore....it's 2015. My character has been talking all this time....all thru the KotFE expansion. Now all of a sudden he tounge tied? :confused:

Y'all might have ment it to be a "throw back to the past", but what I see is an IN YOUR FACE reminder of the one thing I HATED about all those games.

Ok...my biggest complaint is the mandatory lvl sync. But THIS " I am mute" garbage is a VERY CLOSE second. See....that was always my biggest complaint about games like kotor, Elder Scrolls, Legend of Zelda, & Jade Empire. Everybody talks but my characters. Back then I accepted it and chalked it up to hardware limitations. But it's not 1995 anymore....it's 2015. My character has been talking all this time....all thru the KotFE expansion. Now all of a sudden he tounge tied? :confused:

Y'all might have ment it to be a "throw back to the past", but what I see is an IN YOUR FACE reminder of the one thing I HATED about all those games.

I prefer full VO, but I can stand a silent protagonist. What's unacceptable is suddenly switching between the two. It's just so jarring and out-of-place. But Bioware will probably start using this system more and more, claiming it's an homage when it's really a cost-cutting measure, and fanboys will still eat it up.

I still think the kotor style interface should be optional, I don't like how it throws me out of the game and I also didn't buy a big screen to see half of it in black..

Everything voiced and optional kotor interface would be the best compromise here.

Yes, optional sounds good and they better do that soon.

I don't mind anything else. I love this expansion, especially level sync cause I can do what I want.

That being said. I'm torn. Because with the usual style of swtor, I enjoyed having my characters speak and watching them through the cutscenes. However, when I played kotor kotor 2 I had "a voice" in my head that I thought my character would have. And that's alright since that's what was introduced to us for those games. It made you read more and see what you are saying to them and have a "voice" of what they were in their head.

But now, for SWTOR, we have always had a fully voice experience for our characters talking back instead of just selecting an option and then it being silent.

Hmm, I don't know guys. I think they should stick to fully voiced content for our characters. I LOVE the cinematic kotorish style stuff, but I think they should have our characters voice the lines at least :eek::eek:

I'll adapt to it, because that's the way I am. But if they are touting it as a deep story fully voice over experience, that's what it should remain. Just have them speak :) That's all. Also, perhaps this is a "testing stage" to see how people take to it. It looks marvelous! But we just need our characters to speak. I think as a fully voiced mmorpg you MUST keep up with the fully voiced aspect of it. :confused::confused:

Edited by Sarfux

I don't mind anything else. I love this expansion, especially level sync cause I can do what I want.

That being said. I'm torn. Because with the usual style of swtor, I enjoyed having my characters speak and watching them through the cutscenes. However, when I played kotor kotor 2 I had "a voice" in my head that I thought my character would have. And that's alright since that's what was introduced to us for those games. It made you read more and see what you are saying to them and have a "voice" of what they were in their head.

But now, for SWTOR, we have always had a fully voice experience for our characters talking back instead of just selecting an option and then it being silent.

Hmm, I don't know guys. I think they should stick to fully voiced content for our characters. I LOVE the cinematic kotorish style stuff, but I think they should have our characters voice the lines at least :eek::eek:

I'll adapt to it, because that's the way I am. But if they are touting it as a deep story fully voice over experience, that's what it should remain. Just have them speak :) That's all. Also, perhaps this is a "testing stage" to see how people take to it. It looks marvelous! But we just need our characters to speak. I think as a fully voiced mmorpg you MUST keep up with the fully voiced aspect of it. :confused::confused:

There is no thinking about what should be done. They need to decide between one of the two. Having the player character switching back and forth between talking and mute is just awful decision that is extremely jarring.

There already is a way to make main character not speak, and it is way less jarring. That option is called terminals. Turning in materials could be easily done through that (as the "KOTOR style" already opens up a very terminal-looking window).

I hate it too but I'm willing to look past it if they never use it again. First time it popped up, I was talking to a Hutt and just remained silent the whole time in protest...

The more annoying point for me is the companion recruitment. Not being able to recruit the ones I want and having to do silly things like pvp to recruit others is not attractive.

Edited by Eversoul

There are several things about Fallen Empire I didn't like but by the time I got to Chapter 9, I was pretty well sold. They hooked me. Then I got into the Alliance part and went silent.

Deal breaker. Age of Conan pulled this crap when you finished the well done intro and entered a world where all you could hear was a cough. Not even ambient dialogue or conversations.

The fact you have to sub to play this lends to the idea they're making their money again on the people willing to do it but if this is the future, they aren't doing themselves any favors. Newer MMOs with better mechanics are out there vying for attention.

Inconsistency is indeed the worst part about it. And whoever suggested some similarity with KOTOR style will make it fit and ease the pain did not know a thing about games, gamers and even people in general. It does not look sweet nostalgic retro, it looks half baked and totally alien to the game itself and double so to those who never saw KOTOR in their lives (most of the TOR players).

If budget is such a problem and we do in fact have a choice - no voice at all or only no voice in side-quests (hope the main line will still be animated) then at least make it look like TOR. Someone suggested terminals - great idea! Here, no moving, no voice if it's a problem, still same look.

Doesn't really bother me as long as they keep full VO for the "critical" story path. I'm fine with the KotOR-style for these non-substantial side missions. I skip that stuff anyway because it's just blahblah to give a smoke&mirror pretend purpose to some form of inane grinding job ;) .

I swear, this community likes and hates all the wrong things. ;p

I think they are kinda refreshing. When you spin dialogue wheel and listen your awesome Sorc VA providing his/her awesome VAs, it kinda always feels it is not really involving you, the player. When staring em cutsenes, you don't really have a character, it rather mostly belongs to the guy/gal who does the voice acting. You are just somebody watching the performance from TV.

When you remove VA of your PlayerChar from the picture, you suddenly have that much more room for your own, abstract head canon about your character and what he says. Player gets to claim small bit of his character back, so to speak. It feels less like I'm audience to performance and more like it is me who is playing my character. Technically it also allows much wider spectrum of things to say, of course.

...Additionally, it should be obvious approach like this can give room for so much more story content, much more frequent updates etc.

Edited by Stradlin

Doesn't really bother me as long as they keep full VO for the "critical" story path. I'm fine with the KotOR-style for these non-substantial side missions. I skip that stuff anyway because it's just blahblah to give a smoke&mirror pretend purpose to some form of inane grinding job ;) .

This. All of this.

I swear, this community likes and hates all the wrong things. ;p

I think they are kinda refreshing. When you spin dialogue wheel and listen your awesome Sorc VA providing his/her awesome VAs, it kinda always feels it is not really involving you, the player. When staring em cutsenes, you don't really have a character, it rather mostly belongs to the guy/gal who does the voice acting. You are just somebody watching the performance from TV.

When you remove VA of your PlayerChar from the picture, you suddenly have that much more room for your own, abstract head canon about your character and what he says. Player gets to claim small bit of his character back, so to speak. It feels less like I'm audience to performance and more like it is me who is playing my character. Technically it also allows much wider spectrum of things to say, of course.

...Additionally, it should be obvious approach like this can give room for so much more story content, much more frequent updates etc.

I'm okay with watching a TV performance. It's more cinematic that way, and I like being entertained interactively. That said, I do completely agree that non-voiced allows for more story content, more updates, more dialogue choices, and I'm totally on board with that, too.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

I can understand that having recorded voice overs for the NPCs they don’t want to do 8 more voice overs, one for each class. This presumably(?) allows them to provide more alliance missions without having to assemble the Avengers.

Having said that, it is very disappointing to go back 10 years to KOTOR 2 and have a silent protagonist again. The recruitment missions would have much more weight if you could hear your character interacting, especially Consular with Qyzen, Inquisitor with Talos etc.

But it is what it is, I’ve made peace with it.