Wait slicing was NERFED?!?! I just got it

Tierdal

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who thinks slicing wasn't the issue but rather that the GTN being so terribad for price checking and setting an actual market value for items was the problem?

Of course tradeskills aren't going to make any money when people avoid the GTN because of how awful it is and people will gravitate to slicing because it doesn't rely upon the GTN for cash...

Dont get me started on the GTN, that thing is a crafters worse nightmare; As a buyer i need some Xiode (or some such metal) I hould be able to search for it by name. Now I must select "Crafting material", "Underworld Trading", Whateve is the blue quality option is, sort the list based on name to group what i want together, and then look for the lowst price (not in order BTW)

If i could search for what I want then I could sort based on price.

Dont get me started if I am looking for a specific piece of armor, why bother in that mess.

I can find things pretty easily on the GTN. It takes a little patience and getting used to, but it can be done. lol.

You can find them, but at present stuff doesn't sell for even a fraction of what it's worth, probably because many people are forgoing the GTN because the interface is so terribad.

You can find them, but at present stuff doesn't sell for even a fraction of what it's worth, probably because many people are forgoing the GTN because the interface is so terribad.

Yeah what said pack on page ten, they need to fix the auction UI before nerfing anything.

I played league of legends and chatted with my family all christmas day...

And made over 100k credits in swtor.

its money coming from 0 effort. When i just have to tab in for 20 seconds every half hour and rake in money at this level... that is broken.

its money coming from 0 effort. When i just have to tab in for 20 seconds every half hour and rake in money at this level... that is broken.

So are you saying you are part of the problem? :D

The best you can do in slicing is make ~20-30k per day unless you're level 50 with 6 companions you can send and then you'll make more money from any other activity.

Yeah what said pack on page ten, they need to fix the auction UI before nerfing anything.

I totaly agree

GTN is a horror. It should be a possibility to search by name and to search by item for egsample armor / heavy armor / gloves

is awful when I'm searching legins and must go through helmets, gloves etc

Slicing is not the problem.

Other professions are severely crippled by questing. You can't make a profit because its far too easy to fill every slot with blue/orange upgrades by just questing.

After every planet I've got an excess of 20-30 commendations. I've got 8-10 blue/orange boes from world drops. I could even buy some stuff from specialty vendors for cheap or quickly build a full set from doing a little PvP.

The game doesn't leave people many reasons to go shopping on the GTN.

Slicing is not the problem.

Other professions are severely crippled by questing. You can't make a profit because its far too easy to fill every slot with blue/orange upgrades by just questing.

After every planet I've got an excess of 20-30 commendations. I've got 8-10 blue/orange boes from world drops. I could even buy some stuff from specialty vendors for cheap or quickly build a full set from doing a little PvP.

The game doesn't leave people many reasons to go shopping on the GTN.

^^^THIS^^^

Serious folks, slicing is getting a bad rap here becasue it works, the other trade skills are hampered by the horrid GTN interface (BTW it had a search function in beta and was removed) and better than crafted items as PvP/Instace drops/Commendation gear.

Lets face it this early in the game life people are levling trade skills, so materials is what people want, not compleated gear. I thing BW is nerfing something too soon, the vas majority of us are not in the endgame yet.

When general chat states with frequency how awesome slicing is and how much money they have. When guild is full of peope will slicing due the money they get from it. It gets some attention.

Slicing probably had both too much attention, and slightly more reward then the average mission skill. Perhaps it got targeted a little too much, I dont know I didn't take it.

My money was fine leveling up with a crafting skill, but then again I didn't go hog wild with RE and learning every pattern out there. However, it wasn't flush like people who had slicing....

The balancing act has been done. I'm curious what will be the next "OP" item to be targeted.

Here is the cause of the problem,goddamn qqers like this..what would you prefer? Spending hours of grinding and get %10 of that money..oh my,fun!...

Slicing is so obviously broken I am shocked there are people who cannot see that.

As long as companions are sent on "bountiful" or "rich" missions, profit is guaranteed. Thanks to slicing, I have a level 35 Trooper with ~400,000 credits and a level 27 Smuggler with ~200,000. What is truly sad about these numbers is that I did not even try to get the money... all I did was send my idle companions on slicing missions while I continued leveling.

Literally, slicing is passive income. How is that not broken?

What's even worse, there is absolutely no reason to get any gathering or mission skills over slicing. For example, why would I bother sending my companions on underworld trading missions for resources when through slicing I can just buy the resources myself?

The nerf was needed.

If they did the nerf properly i could live with it. Ok so they nerfed us with money. Then up the chance of pattern and mission drops so we can well. If they want to impliment trading and trading n selling. They Slicing should get balanced out with an increase of tradable items IMHO.

just seems right.

I've had multiple people tell me they easily can make 250k a day from slicing, while leveling their toon. And for those of you saying we're comparing your 300/400 slicing skill to our 100/400 skill. Well we are, because slicing skills up A LOT faster, considering you don't really need anything except credits to level up the skill, which you get, from the skill.

Like the guy said above, it's passive income. I know people in game who have 1,000,000+ credits because they've just sliced with their companions anytime they log on while they're leveling up. When the VIP lounge mount costs 1,500,000 credits and it's quite a rare item. And I can slice my way to that many credits in less than a week, there's a problem.

Are you slicers going to really complain about them nerfing the skill when maybe now instead of 150k-250k per day you might only make 50k-75k a day? It's still free, passive, money.

They probably just don't want the game to get inflated prices that quickly.

There are other serious issues that are causing problems - yes to the GTN and yes to quest rewards and how they're set up.

However, having a skill that generates pretty consistent profits without doing much of anything is not healthy. It's not affected by supply and demand as other craft skills and professions. Because 50% of the other players out there are slicing isn't going to cause your slicing income to drop like it would because the market is flooded. It's not even going to cause inflation in the market except for the very top end rare items.

So you'd have certain items priced at millions of creds because people have pools of cash just sitting around. It wouldn't drive the price of other craftables and components up - as more and more people craft, those prices would continue to go down due to supply and demand - I.E. lots of supply and no demand due to the quest rewards system and commendations.

I'm glad adjustments were made even though I was already preparing my alt slicing army. Because in a system like we had, the only way to come out equal or ahead is do what everyone else has been doing and start slicing. And a system that offers only one way to "win" is a tradeskill system without real choice or viability IMO. With that type of system, might as well scrap crafting and just put all items as quest or slicing rewards.

Slicing is the tradeskill for people who can't be arsed with crafting, or who want to wait until max level to start crafting.

I keep seeing people say this, but I fail to see how Slicing is "meant" for non-crafters. I mean, in every other MMO, it was good enough for non-crafters to take just gathering skills and sell the mats to other players. This possibility still exists in SWTOR by taking Scavenging, Archaeology, and Bioanalysis. So why is Slicing meant for non-crafters again? It isn't. It just circumvents the horrible GTN and is a constant, predictable revenue stream. In other words, it's just plain easier.

I still question why Slicing wasn't made a true gathering skill and all gathering professions inherited finding credits when you "crit" a node. That would have fixed every issue that is brought up concerning Slicing, but that fell on deaf ears during beta.