Level Sync: Why so salty?

SlightlySychotic

Hm, yeah ok. Bounty Week. Not just the getting there, but some of those are going to be fun when the surrounding mobs respawn and join the melee.

You do realize bounty week was designed so that lowbies can also do them? Did em plenty of times, good xp right there. Didnt run into any real issues while doing bounties on lvlappropriate planets.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize bounty week was designed so that lowbies can also do them? Did em plenty of times, good xp right there. Didnt run into any real issues while doing bounties on lvlappropriate planets.

That's pretty much what I said. I don't see any real issues. There are just some moments where it might be annoying again after it wasn't for a while. The stupid elite probe at Alderaan kingpin, or the room full of mobs for Ord Mantell kingpin (who used to be grayed out even for level 15 characters and now we'll be level-synced to what, 10?). I'm not saying impossible or even difficult or challenging. Just annoying, and that's enough to put some people off who play for fun.

It's not like at-level content is that difficult -- when was the last time any of you died to a mob on Yavin?

I've managed to die on the last part of the Makeb storyline, at level, repeatedly. Especially on my Republic characters. Equally, when I first went to Oricon, I died to mobs there because I was not really familiar with a class.

So it is possible, we're not all demigod gamers all of the time.

Adversely, I've helped numerous players asking for help on the last fight on the Makeb storyline, happily, at level 60 - because I knew it could be a pain in the backside and not everyone is a demigod gamer. With level sync? Nah, I'd pass on giving that help.

Hey, but clearly you are a professional gamer. So you'll never have a problem with any of it, because BioWare balance is perfect, and they never make places with high density of mobs and then go back and change it later on in a patch, right?

Just annoying, and that's enough to put some people off who play for fun.

Yeah it was more fun spawning lv 60 guards on Shady Characters on coruscant and watch lowbies get hit by their aoe and run away half dead wasnt it. But who cares about the little people amirite, as long as max lvls arent bothered.

I've managed to die on the last part of the Makeb storyline, at level, repeatedly. Especially on my Republic characters. Equally, when I first went to Oricon, I died to mobs there because I was not really familiar with a class.

Maybe you missed the mechanic that oneshots you if ignored, for the last boss does very little damage apart from that.

Maybe you missed the mechanic that oneshots you if ignored, for the last boss does very little damage apart from that.

I'm mainly an Imperial player, so yeah, the different mechanics kind of threw me. Even in the last few months, I forgot and got one-shot on a level 60 :D It's still a much easier fight once over-levelled though, and I'm one of those casuals that plays a game to have fun.

I'm mainly an Imperial player, so yeah, the different mechanics kind of threw me. Even in the last few months, I forgot and got one-shot on a level 60 :D It's still a much easier fight once over-levelled though, and I'm one of those casuals that plays a game to have fun.

Going over lvl doesnt exactly keep you from dying to 0dmg kill mechanic though. Would be kinda funny if it would, maybe it would have actually kept pugs who thought they can faceroll all content 10lv under them from dying to Stormcaller.

Edited by Kiesu

If anything they at the very least should make it optional.

Exactly.

A down leveling game feature should have been held back till it was designed to be optional.

Mandatory across the board? Sorry but no. Hell, even FF14 after their original screw ups knew not to do that going into a brand new MMO and at least GW2 didn't spring it on you 4 years into it.

Edited by Quraswren

How exactly is a challenge when they clearly said that HIGHER level players keep their HP pool and their skills... its only their damage that is lowered.

So if you're on Alderaan doing Heroics and you get dropped down to the equivalent of a level 35 or whatever... and you bump into a level 35... and your hp is 50k or so... ? what?

Where was that bit about the hit points staying at full amount?

Let me try to articulate why I dislike being forced to a lower level. See, I have a life. There I said it. I H.A.V.E a life. I have three children, a job, and a house that needs to be picked up and tended to. So... in my day. I wake up at 7am (sleeping in for some I know). Get the kiddos ready for school. Get me ready for work. Go work. Get home. Stuff dinner in the kiddos (sometimes via their nose if it's a vegetable). Throw the kids out the back door to play / to wear them out. In between catching small people leaping off the slide, I do silly things like mow my lawn, or weed my garden (the HOA is fiendish about yards being nice). Then it's bath time. Three children all needing to be scrubbed clean of mud and grass stains and of course mashed peas in their hair. Tuck two kids into bed. Spend an hour helping the third (eldest) with homework. Throw the eldest in bed. Pick up toys. Mop mashed peas off the dining room floor, take out the garbage, maybe do dishes or laundry. Whew.... now... I can game.

I log into the game at 9pm. It has now been a 14 hour day of life. And I have decided to spend time with my husband by playing a game. We run dailies. We run for achievements. We run datacrons. Sometimes we emote. We even went and laughed ourselves sick over an accidental PVP once. And let's not forget the events like Gree or Rakghouls or Bounties. I have three hours to spend time with my other half. Three hours before I must fall into my bed exhausted to go back to life again the following morning. Three hours to get my crafting mats, my comms, my credits, etc.

So how does this 'forcing people into lower levels' affect my fun? Well... suddenly I have to fight through every planet (again. I already did it once per char I have. That was enough thnx). I will no longer be able to look at my other half and say 'Let's snag that lowbie there and faceroll this for them' because it won't be a faceroll. It will be a 45 minute grind. Which... I already did. Once.Per.Character. My time will be wasted on tedium. On a grind that is unnecessary and unwanted.

For those who think I am overreacting, let's lay it all out in a pleasant scenario. I need some artifact fragments. I NEED them. I'm all out, and awesome recipe number 12 says I must have them. So I go to the appropriate level planet to find some. I get off my ship and am BAM suddenly level 30 instead of level 60. I wander my way out into the wilderness, where I am attacked by a winged lizard, a fuzzy cat, another winged lizard, 18 bugs, and 12 mercenaries. I am now finally at my node... FINALLY. I get one precious artifact fragment. I need... three... and I have already wasted a half hour of my precious time.

That to me is a wasted time sink. I would rather waste time on having fun for three hours with my husband.

"Oh sure," you say, "You can just send your companions out to get them." No promises my companions will get me what I want either. And since grinding weeklies for cash will now take three times as long, wasting my credits on companion gathering will be... well a waste.

Let me try to articulate why I dislike being forced to a lower level. See, I have a life. There I said it. I H.A.V.E a life. I have three children, a job, and a house that needs to be picked up and tended to. So... in my day. I wake up at 7am (sleeping in for some I know). Get the kiddos ready for school. Get me ready for work. Go work. Get home. Stuff dinner in the kiddos (sometimes via their nose if it's a vegetable). Throw the kids out the back door to play / to wear them out. In between catching small people leaping off the slide, I do silly things like mow my lawn, or weed my garden (the HOA is fiendish about yards being nice). Then it's bath time. Three children all needing to be scrubbed clean of mud and grass stains and of course mashed peas in their hair. Tuck two kids into bed. Spend an hour helping the third (eldest) with homework. Throw the eldest in bed. Pick up toys. Mop mashed peas off the dining room floor, take out the garbage, maybe do dishes or laundry. Whew.... now... I can game.

I log into the game at 9pm. It has now been a 14 hour day of life. And I have decided to spend time with my husband by playing a game. We run dailies. We run for achievements. We run datacrons. Sometimes we emote. We even went and laughed ourselves sick over an accidental PVP once. And let's not forget the events like Gree or Rakghouls or Bounties. I have three hours to spend time with my other half. Three hours before I must fall into my bed exhausted to go back to life again the following morning. Three hours to get my crafting mats, my comms, my credits, etc.

So how does this 'forcing people into lower levels' affect my fun? Well... suddenly I have to fight through every planet (again. I already did it once per char I have. That was enough thnx). I will no longer be able to look at my other half and say 'Let's snag that lowbie there and faceroll this for them' because it won't be a faceroll. It will be a 45 minute grind. Which... I already did. Once.Per.Character. My time will be wasted on tedium. On a grind that is unnecessary and unwanted.

For those who think I am overreacting, let's lay it all out in a pleasant scenario. I need some artifact fragments. I NEED them. I'm all out, and awesome recipe number 12 says I must have them. So I go to the appropriate level planet to find some. I get off my ship and am BAM suddenly level 30 instead of level 60. I wander my way out into the wilderness, where I am attacked by a winged lizard, a fuzzy cat, another winged lizard, 18 bugs, and 12 mercenaries. I am now finally at my node... FINALLY. I get one precious artifact fragment. I need... three... and I have already wasted a half hour of my precious time.

That to me is a wasted time sink. I would rather waste time on having fun for three hours with my husband.

"Oh sure," you say, "You can just send your companions out to get them." No promises my companions will get me what I want either. And since grinding weeklies for cash will now take three times as long, wasting my credits on companion gathering will be... well a waste.

None of the things you mentioned will change what you do O.O

None of the things you mentioned will change what you do O.O

Yes.

They will.

The poster you responded to explained exactly why and how levelsync will change what they do, and you ignored it completely in favor of repeating the same tired sycophantic babble.

Stop drinking the coolaide.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Yes.

They will.

The poster you responded to explained exactly why and how levelsync will change what they do, and you ignored it completely in favor of repeating the same tired sycophantic babble.

Stop drinking the coolaide.

I'm not drinking any kool aid. People are making a bigger deal out of this than it is! This makes the WHOLE GAME relevant. It's not going to be just go here and do this type of linear thing. You now get to choose what planet you want to spend your time on to level. That's not a bad thing.

It makes the game better in the long haul. Sorry you don't like it max :( No need to start calling names now!

Exactly. But the griefer crowd won't listen. They want to have their fun. Who cares that there is someone who actually NEEDS the WB? They just want to troll. They don;t need the WB but they feel it somehow makes them look cooler if they pop it off as a smaller, lower level group is trying to coordinate on it.

To me that is one of the biggest reasons for a sync, but the nay sayers won;t hear it, crying "choice" when "choice" would do nothing but let the trolls come right back, which if I were a dev I'd create this sync just to prevent, with XP, grouping and everything else just being cool benefits to the whole thing.

Problem is, level sync wasn't designed to stop WB soloing, that is just one of the side effects, and it won't stop the griefing if people are determined to grief. There are better ways to stop WB soloing and griefing without using a carte blanche level syncing system that affects every single player in the game. Those solutions have been mentioned many times in the very thread from which this quoted post originated (now closed).

Edited by TravelersWay

Problem is, level sync was designed to stop WB soloing, that is just one of the side effects, and it won't stop the griefing if people are determined to grief. There are better ways to stop WB soloing and griefing without using a carte blanche level syncing system that affects every single player in the game. Those solutions have been mentioned many times in the very thread from which this quoted post originated (now closed).

For those maybe little things it will somehow ruin what people do, it will be better for the long haul of the life of the game as they keep adding things. TRUST ME on this! You now will be able to level anywhere at anytime you want! It's great.

For those maybe little things it will somehow ruin what people do, it will be better for the long haul of the life of the game as they keep adding things. TRUST ME on this! You now will be able to level anywhere at anytime you want! It's great.

It will be better for the long haul of the game - but only if it is an optional system. It works well for what it is supposed to do (when implemented correctly as many other games have done), but again, as mentioned many times, it is not a panacea for many of the complaints that people think level syncing will solve - the problems will only be fixed by realizing this fact and implementing the more ideal solutions for each of those problems.

Being able to level anywhere at anytime is great for people who want to level that way. I do not. I do not want to level at a 12x-like accelerated rate and have some half-assed implemented system attempt to make up for that. I want to choose my own leveling pace and my own level for the content I am doing. Forced level syncing prevents that in every way.

Edited by TravelersWay

I'm not drinking any kool aid. People are making a bigger deal out of this than it is! This makes the WHOLE GAME relevant. It's not going to be just go here and do this type of linear thing. You now get to choose what planet you want to spend your time on to level. That's not a bad thing.

It makes the game better in the long haul. Sorry you don't like it max :( No need to start calling names now!

Eh from his post history Max never really likes any thing in the game. BW could come out with the perfect game they give every one what they want and Max and a few others will probably still complain because they them selves have drank the Kool aid.

It will be better for the long haul of the game - but only if it is an optional system. It works well for what it is supposed to do (when implemented correctly as many other games have done), but again, as mentioned many times, it is not a panacea for many of the complaints that people think level syncing will solve - the problems will only be fixed by realizing this fact and implementing the more ideal solutions for each of those problems.

I know what you are asking, but I'm sorry. A system like this will never be optional. It's a whole entire change to the game and made so the whole game becomes relevant again.

There's no point in making it optional. It's not going to be optional. I'm sorry Travelers...

Let me try this again. I have three hours at night to play a game. For fun and relaxation. Hopping out for a missing crafting mat will not be a 10 minute thing (and that's if I go afk for coffee in the middle of it). It will now be a 30+ minute thing.

Doing a quick run in CZ for some credits will now take three times as long. I suppose I can go and snag slice boxes on Yavin like everyone else. Because nothing says 'fun and relaxing' like racing people for slicing boxes so I can afford whatever it is I want to afford at the moment.

All this change does is force everyone to waste their time on parts of the game that are already tedious. Achievement hunting. Datacron hunting. Running Weeklies. Restocking crafting materials. All those thing are already tedious time sinks. Now they will be tedious time sinks that get you agro'd across the entire planet, making them take even longer.

The mobs won't be more difficult, they won't gain in skills or hp relative to my characters. They will simply hit me. Unbike me. And require me to clear the group, before I can mount up again and move on. I can probably clear level 30 mobs scaled down, in 2 shots each. So a group of 4... 2 shots each... damn. I had to hit 8 buttons. Remount my bike. Annnnnnd... rinse repeat... across the area on my way to whatever I am doing at the time.

By making this level sink mandatory (instead of it being something I can toggle off and on like PVP) it won't make the game more challenging. It will make the game annoying. I will still win. I will still get to my whatever I am getting. Running a whole planet of datacrons will not take me an hour (and that's looking up all the locations and failing on atleast two of my jumps making me start over). It will take me three hours. That's it. One planet and I am done for the night. I won't have time for anything else.

I know what you are asking, but I'm sorry. A system like this will never be optional. It's a whole entire change to the game and made so the whole game becomes relevant again.

There's no point in making it optional. It's not going to be optional. I'm sorry Travelers...

Other games have managed to make similar systems optional, and it works great.

Problem is, level sync wasn't designed to stop WB soloing, that is just one of the side effects, and it won't stop the griefing if people are determined to grief. There are better ways to stop WB soloing and griefing without using a carte blanche level syncing system that affects every single player in the game. Those solutions have been mentioned many times in the very thread from which this quoted post originated (now closed).

Wow, some people just cant take a hint can they. Continuing to quote from locked thread.

They have indeed been mentioned many times and mentioning they have been mentioned isnt going to make anyone read the 200 page thread no matter how much you quote it.

Other games have managed to make similar systems optional, and it works great.

Other games have managed to make sync system perfectly fine also, and they work great!

Edited by Kiesu

It's been optional on games that have used it prior to guild wars. It held a lot of praise as well and it worked great.