Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please make level scaling optional in KotFE

wepeel

If I recall correctly the XP loss occurs only on NPC kills not the xp given on quest turn in, since alot more xp is gained in this game because of kills than you think (serously run a stealth character and tell me you are not slightly lower levelled than if you play a class that has to fight his way through) you do have a overall xp loss.

Oh it also depends what the level difference is between the 2 characters, if its more than 7 or not.

The mob kills is what I tested. Did an area on Dromund with an equal level partner, then went back to the same area with one of their characters that was about 10 levels over (my toon was on level for the planet), and got the same amount of XP per kill in both cases.

Been over a year since I did that, so maybe something changed - I'll have to test again, like I said, I never noticed a decreased XP gain when partnered with higher level characters anywhere.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mob kills is what I tested. Did an area on Dromund with an equal level partner, then went back to the same area with one of their characters that was about 10 levels over (my toon was on level for the planet), and got the same amount of XP per kill in both cases.

Been over a year since I did that, so maybe something changed - I'll have to test again, like I said, I never noticed a decreased XP gain when partnered with higher level characters anywhere.

I stand corrected then, that was what I was always told so maybe that changed in some fashion.

Over a year? You really think your memory is that reliable? You might be right, you might be wrong, but your year-old memory is not every convincing. Someone (you, me, someone else) can go check it out and see.

Having someone very overleveled with you will murder xp from kills, not from missions. It did that one year ago and it did that two years ago. I was under the impression that the cut-off point was 8 levels, though that I am not willing to claim with any certainty.

Edit: This is based on at least a dozen runs through class stories, admittedly all before 12xp came into play, with wildly varying level combinations. Also note that this only occurs when grouped and only when the grouped player is nearby.

Edited by cyrusramsey

If this does go live, they need to remove levels in 4.0.a and instead create a skill based system.

The idea that they are possibly taking away my levels, which in this game, indicate my learned "skill", infuriates me. THEY designed a level based game, not me...taking what I earn away from me, would be absolutely ridiculous. There's no way this change should go live...ever. It's far too big of a change without thinking about the ramifications.

Having someone very overleveled with you will murder xp from kills, not from missions.
Big deal. With the Class 12xXP boost, trash kills are meaningless. I've hit 60 3 times prior to even finishing Rishi and without doing Makeb at all.

Optional scaling is like the Tree specs prior to 3.0, it's simply an illusion to Options. having an option will simply mean no one will ever turn the scaling on because it gives them an INCREDIBLY UNFAIR advantage over those who do have it. Especially when it comes to people trying to group for world bosses. Any other situation I am all for option, this case it will make it FAR WORSE or make the scaling completely useless

"Mentoring" systems in other games usually bring rewards for the "mentor" (high level player dropping to lower levels to coach a newbie without messing up their XP/loot gain)

"Mentoring" systems in other games usually bring rewards for the "mentor" (high level player dropping to lower levels to coach a newbie without messing up their XP/loot gain)

And that's the reason it should be optional, if implemented. That way, the people that want to chase those increased rewards can do so at their pleasure. And those that don't want to, don't have to.

The for/against thing is irrespective of the information provided. Mentoring was also a community wish, and one that is implemented very well in several other MMOs as an optional thing. Sure, there would still be a discussion on the topic if BW was forthright with community about it and how it will be implemented - that's just the nature of gaming forums. But at least those discussions could be done on a more productive level with the correct information.

From what someone posted here, it doesn't really look like it is working as BW wants it to, and might not even make it on live servers with 4.0 launch.

So while it might help in having the discussion, there would still be hundreds of pages of people arguing over something they do not really understand (because someone will always fabricate some bollocks that will catch on) and providing maybe 1 potentially useful feedback in 100 posts (and that is probably generous).

There is a reason people are getting invited on test shards and are given lengthy contracts to accept. They are there to provide actual feedback that can be acted upon, not hundreds of pages of people whining about something that may not even be true. If these people do not fulfill their role, then that is a separate matter that needs solving.

And that's the reason it should be optional, if implemented. That way, the people that want to chase those increased rewards can do so at their pleasure. And those that don't want to, don't have to.

And we have two sources both claiming opposite informations. Which is more likely? That the feature is permanently activated on test shard to fully test it, or that BW are evil and will downscale people just for lulz?

And we have two sources both claiming opposite informations. Which is more likely? That the feature is permanently activated on test shard to fully test it, or that BW are evil and will downscale people just for lulz?

Not to be flippant, but you're asking me to trust a company that has given us no information regarding this issue less than a month before Open Beta.

Also, last I checked, Bioware was owned by EA. It's never for the lulz, it's for the money.

Which is more likely? That the feature is permanently activated on test shard to fully test it, or that BW are evil and will downscale people just for lulz?

I'll take option 2. No, seriously, I can see how BioWare would think this would be a good idea, only for it to go sour very very fast.

If you read some of the posts in the commendation name change thread, it's easy to believe that there are plenty of players ready to believe that BWEA hoses players just for "the lulz." But I think there are players of every MMO ready to believe this about the game's makers.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I do not agree, do not make it optional it wont be fair, either have it or don't have it.

Why? If I wanna head to Alderaan and help a friend level, why not allow me the choice of de-leveling for it? What's not fair exactly? If I want to mentor someone, I can...if I don't, I don't need to. What's wrong with making it optional?

Scaling SHOULD be optional to accommodate every type of player's style. We do pay for this game, it would be nice to have the ability to use high level toons to assist low levels and/or solo when desired.

PLEASE make level scaling optional!!!

I have kinda stayed out of this debate....but from my understanding you would still have all your skills but your health and gear would scale....so you would still be more powerful then the level 15 mob with level 15 skills....

feel free to correct me if i am misunderstanding this

I can confirm now that characters will receive reduced XP gains when grouped with higher level characters up to a point where they gain no XP at all from kills. My test showed that this can begin with even a 5 level difference between two grouped characters.

You can check out the video to see the test and results:

this is in my eyes the biggest problem as the early access draws near no information being provided

I'm with ya...we need to start getting more specifics...this is a VERY VERY controversial idea (de-leveling) and I would hope Bioware is smart enough to not throw it at us with no warning or discussion whatsoever.

I'm with ya...we need to start getting more specifics...this is a VERY VERY controversial idea (de-leveling) and I would hope Bioware is smart enough to not throw it at us with no warning or discussion whatsoever.

i honestly don't see it as an issue but i also don't solo many old fp's i do help lower levels however...

i think if done the way i understand it then it really wont be much of a problem...but again i dont solo many old things

i honestly don't see it as an issue but i also don't solo many old fp's i do help lower levels however...

i think if done the way i understand it then it really wont be much of a problem...but again i dont solo many old things

This is the thing though, and why it should be optional. One of the things that attracted me to the game was "RPG", which to me as an older gamer means solo, with the occasional grouping up. Having it forced grouping, or not being able to solo stuff I've out-levelled will pretty much remove one of the main reasons why I still play this game. Grind I can live with, having played RPG titles like the Diablo series.

If BioWare removed that aspect of the game, I'm not sure they understand what keeps players in their game. In fact as it is, they probably don't, judging past decisions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.