The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How will no-force users classes work on the story on Knights of the fallen Empire???

crussz

I would really enjoy if anyone could tell me how this will play out cus i enjoy playing a trooper but i cant see a normal trooper having any chance against a Emperor that we dont even know the power and his Overpower son who destroyd both the Republic and the Empire. I just have no clue about how the story will play out if you arent playnig a jedi or a sith

Hmm there was always some headcannon, as you had to divide the lore(?) and the gameplay when playing a non force user...as our troopers/agents/smugglers/BHs often go against a force users (and powerful ones). Maybe our non force user have more of a power base or just fights very dirty?:)

....but I am someone that thinks my agent can win against most dark council members....maybe not in a straight fight as SW/SI will but with few/lots of dirty tricks...maybe setting traps before the battle etc....

You are never truly alone in what you do. The Emperor and Revan could be compared to a typical boot to ant scenario. Revan gives us an understanding of the difference in power here, our encounter with him on

took both the Imperial's as well as the Republic's strongest warriors to face him. It mattered not if you were a force user or non-force user, you alone would not have been able to take him down.

Considering you brought up Trooper Ill use said class as an example. If you look at your storyline you can easily realize that the trooper in question has differentiated themselves from other troopers, therefore it is safe to say they aren't a "normal" trooper. Jace Malcom (Non-force user) is a perfect example of this, it was with his aid that Satele Shan (Force-user) was able to push back and defeat Malgus(Force-user). Another trooper may not have been able to do such, Jace's experience and understanding of Satele could be seen as crucial to their victory over Malgus.

In my opinion the same will occur throughout the story and when facing the Emperor, it will take COMBINED strength to face him from both sides yet again. The only individual I could see being taken on alone would be Arcann, despite his power ( which we have yet to truly see in-game) he is fallible and less experienced than his father. It wouldn't be too far fetched to say his level is close to our own characters ( at least in some regards).

Despite the games focus on single player story you are never truly alone in what you do.

Edited by Mymph

You are never truly alone in what you do. The Emperor and Revan could be compared to a typical boot to ant scenario. Revan gives us an understanding of the difference in power here, our encounter with him on
took both the Imperial's as well as the Republic's strongest warriors to take him down. It mattered not if you were a force user or non-force user, you alone would not have been able to take him down.

Considering you brought up Trooper Ill use said class as an example. If you look at your storyline you can easily realize that the trooper in question has differentiated themselves from other troopers, therefore it is safe to say they aren't a "normal" trooper. Jace Malcom (Non-force user) is a perfect example of this, it was with his aid that Satele Shan (Force-user) was able to push back and defeat Malgus(Force-user). Another trooper may not have been able to do such, Jace's experience and understanding of Satele could be seen as crucial to their victory over Malgus.

In my opinion the same will occur throughout the story and when facing the Emperor, it will take COMBINED strength to face him from both sides yet again. The only individual I could see being taken on alone would be Arcann, despite his power ( which we have yet to truly see in-game) he is fallible and less experienced than his father. It wouldn't be too far fetched to say his level is close to our own characters ( at least in some regards).

Despite the games focus on single player story you are never truly alone in what you do.

You argue a strong case, but I must admit, getting to Yavin 4, purple lighting sprouting from my hands as I destroy the four thingys in the temple courtyard makes really no sense at all!! Immersion is totally destroyed, I'm sad to say, but to follow your argument; In the end battle against Revan 'the group' undos that a bit as you described in your argument, but only in a alibi kinda way I'm afraid.

Therefore, I suspect, is the Beniko companion more important for the non-force user then the Sith or the Jedi, in view of immersion. For the non-force user Beniko will be the alibi, to makes sense of their presence in KotFE.

You argue a strong case, but I must admit, getting to Yavin 4, purple lighting sprouting from my hands as I destroy the four thingys in the temple courtyard makes really no sense at all!! Immersion is totally destroyed, I'm sad to say, but to follow your argument; In the end battle against Revan 'the group' undos that a bit as you described in your argument, but only in a alibi kinda way I'm afraid.

Therefore, I suspect, is the Beniko companion more important for the non-force user then the Sith or the Jedi, in view of immersion. For the non-force user Beniko will be the alibi, to makes sense of their presence in KotFE.

Ouch if they did not remove and replaced the purple lightning for non force users (the technology is advanced enough for them to use some tech gadget) that is indeed their bad (very) and I hope they don't repeat it in KotFE...

...but our non force user may have a bigger powerbase to compensate for their ''lesser power''....and imo powerbase is more important than whatever strength the force users have...unless you have equal power to the emperor...

....but I can't see the force users as gods as most people (apparently) see them as...

Edited by Saelinne

The force is thought to be present in most living beings, therefore one can argue that to an extent some are able to tap into it to a degree. However, force lightning ( also known as Sith Lightning) isn't something I would assume a "non-force" user capable of, so I can see your point. Even taking into account the legacy system and heroic abilities, I would presume it is a unique scenario where our characters are pushed to their limits in order to use said abilities. In the case you described it would in my view be illogical and break immersion, I can only hope it was an oversight or bug.

In regards to Lana I would have to agree that she would be a strong ally in the eyes of a non-force user. We mustn't forget though she is the Minister of Sith Intelligence, making her just as strong of an ally to Force users simply in a different approach. The game doesn't facilitate viewing it in such manner however due to our characters being perceived as godlike in their respective fields.

It's disappointing to say but In the end for immersions sake, we must make sense of it on our own.

Edited by Mymph

I haven't played through that section with my non force users yet, but I can say I did a double take when my Jedi started shooting force lightning at them.

I also had to wonder why my sith inq had to short circuit a light pole to make a lightning storm to stop the droid. She could have easy just done that herself.

I also had to wonder why my sith inq had to short circuit a light pole to make a lightning storm to stop the droid. She could have easy just done that herself.

For the same reason the ranged classes need to go as close to the crate as the melee guys to destroy it:)

As for the Yavin 4 and the artifacts(?) that require purple lightning...is it possible that they....hmm...leech something from us whether we have the force or not?

... I may be spouting off bs (I didn't read the quest) :)

I haven't played through that section with my non force users yet, but I can say I did a double take when my Jedi started shooting force lightning at them.

I wondered something similar when my Consular had to use a rocket launcher to breach a door on the Ziost mission :p

There has to be more to the Outlander/s than raw power, they also need charisma, experience and leadership ability to assemble, and lead, a sizeable resistance force. All of which most the force-deaf classes have in spades.

I wondered something similar when my Consular had to use a rocket launcher to breach a door on the Ziost mission :p

The unfortunate result of converging all of the classes on one story, I'm afraid. :jawa_frown:

Edited by Nefertuss

Bear with me when I say this, but...

What the Force wants, the Force gets.

It might not make sense, entirely, but I've always viewed the force as sort of a living thing in its own right. That's to say that the Force can have its own intentions and desired outcomes, with the obvious division expected of having a light and dark side.

This can include helping along people who don't consciously use it.

An individual that has become quite capable at consciously using the force, might do so by projecting kinetic motions for moving things around, or zappy lightning bolts of doom. They're known as Jedi, Sith, or just plainly force users. Now, their abilities are normally pretty good for use all the time, but what if they're not the only ones using the force? What if, quite possibly, other people of the seemingly more mundane nature are also unknowingly employing the force in their everyday actions?

Think of it as sort of like having stage hands to help out, only as the actor, you don't really see or know they're there. Like those stage hands dressed in their eye-fooling pitch black attire, the Force silently nudges your blaster to the right just enough to turn a harmless graze into a deadly bolt to the head. Perhaps it's even that bad feeling you have about this! ...or even just a 'stroke of luck' that gets you across that seemingly impassable gap and to safety.

In short, it's the plot armor that our less than overt force-users have, to get them through these adventures. They may not knowingly be as dangerous as those that are well versed in force-induced-head-explodery, but it might even very well be the reason the Emperor himself sees our smugglers, Agents, bounty hunters and troopers as unique enough for a personal audience - he can see the guiding strands of the force so carefully wrapped around each, ready to lash or caress the world into fitting an outcome that could either help, or ruin the Fallen Emperor's day.

The one main thing people seem to always forget is that the Force works best against the week, week of mind and spirit. The non force user classes have proven they are neither week of mind or spirit.

As described the force is in all things, living and not. There would be a baseline amount of force in all things but each living and non living thing will have it's own individual amount. This can manifest in many ways, one being a resistance to force users.

Jace Malcom is a great example of this, look at what he was able to do in the Hope trailer. He took on Malgus head on twice, he resisted a full lightning attack (for a time) then late tricked Malgus into a close up fight to set off a grenade that they both survived the blast of (scared).

There is also the thing that both Jedi and Sith tend believe themselves as superior which makes them predictable and vulnerable to the actions of some non force users.

The one main thing people seem to always forget is that the Force works best against the week, week of mind and spirit. The non force user classes have proven they are neither week of mind or spirit.

As described the force is in all things, living and not. There would be a baseline amount of force in all things but each living and non living thing will have it's own individual amount. This can manifest in many ways, one being a resistance to force users.

Jace Malcom is a great example of this, look at what he was able to do in the Hope trailer. He took on Malgus head on twice, he resisted a full lightning attack (for a time) then late tricked Malgus into a close up fight to set off a grenade that they both survived the blast of (scared).

There is also the thing that both Jedi and Sith tend believe themselves as superior which makes them predictable and vulnerable to the actions of some non force users.

Your mental strength only matters as far as mind affecting abilities. Being strong of mind does not protect you from being choked, thrown, crushed, drained of life, electrocuted, and more. Malgus force lightning isn't particularly strong, he is modeled after the warrior, and Jace wouldn't have survived very long if he fought Malgus one on one. We also don't know how much of his ability came from Satele. We know she has battle meditation so there's that as well.

That being said there's plenty of cases of non-force sensitives taking on jedi/sith. It's the upper echelons that is the problem. Plus some can move so fast even other jedi/sith can't follow their movements with their eyes. Even for predictability that kind of speed is hard to combat as a non-force sensitive.

Edited by Rhyltran

Your mental strength only matters as far as mind affecting abilities. Being strong of mind does not protect you from being choked, thrown, crushed, drained of life, electrocuted, and more. Malgus force lightning isn't particularly strong, he is modeled after the warrior, and Jace wouldn't have survived very long if he fought Malgus one on one. We also don't know how much of his ability came from Satele. We know she has battle meditation so there's that as well.

That being said there's plenty of cases of non-force sensitives taking on jedi/sith. It's the upper echelons that is the problem. Plus some can move so fast even other jedi/sith can't follow their movements with their eyes. Even for predictability that kind of speed is hard to combat as a non-force sensitive.

Still we are not just any normal non force users. Each of (especially since we are talking about already very experienced characters) very skilled (be it from experience - smuggler imo - to trooper/BH who have the best training money can buy....not to mention agent). So giving such skills as ''force choke'' or ''lightning'' as if they are ''I win button''? I just don't understand it....

...although your speed argument is valid....but let's not forget the SW galaxy have very advance technology - it is 50/50 for them to have/adapt a counter to that imo....

But the most important thing is - why should the non force users battle in any way fairly vs force users? That is actually completely against the strengths of the agent (and the instincts of the smuggler:) ). Why shouldn't the agent change his/her appearance the way ''the old man'' and hunter do? (I think it uses the stealth generator in some way....and operative is a master of it

not to mention with the codex and having their secrets

).

...and that got away from me. I am not saying (however true it is:D) that the non force users are immortal and the force users are all pathetic and stuff....(especially the really powerful ones) but you are underestimating/forgetting who our non force users are:)

Still we are not just any normal non force users. Each of (especially since we are talking about already very experienced characters) very skilled (be it from experience - smuggler imo - to trooper/BH who have the best training money can buy....not to mention agent). So giving such skills as ''force choke'' or ''lightning'' as if they are ''I win button''? I just don't understand it....

...although your speed argument is valid....but let's not forget the SW galaxy have very advance technology - it is 50/50 for them to have/adapt a counter to that imo....

But the most important thing is - why should the non force users battle in any way fairly vs force users? That is actually completely against the strengths of the agent (and the instincts of the smuggler:) ). Why shouldn't the agent change his/her appearance the way ''the old man'' and hunter do? (I think it uses the stealth generator in some way....and operative is a master of it

not to mention with the codex and having their secrets

).

...and that got away from me. I am not saying (however true it is:D) that the non force users are immortal and the force users are all pathetic and stuff....(especially the really powerful ones) but you are underestimating/forgetting who our non force users are:)

Because those generators that hide the old man's appearance? Won't hide him from a force user. Chapter 1 of KOTFE is a good example of this. Marr and the character (if they're a force user) recognize that Valkorion is the Emperor based on his presence. Marr states "No matter how many bodies no matter how many times you change your face we will always know you." this is a good example of just what force users are capable of. They can sense incoming danger as well as attack. There's also force moves that are much more powerful than choke and lightning.

Force Kill instantly kills a target that can't block it (only force sensitives can block the attack.), force crush instantly crushes a target, Force drain can instantly drain a person of life, etc. I'm not saying non-force sensitives can't be ****** what I am saying, however, no matter how good you are even in the EU there's force users that you won't be able to beat. Not fairly. Not unfairly. For example a Non-Force sensitive would never in a million years stand a chance against Darth Nihilus, Luke Skywalker, etc. In fact there's Jedi/Sith who's acolades includes things like "Has solo'd an entire army at once." Tulak Horde comes to mind. If an army consisting of well over a thousand individuals attacking from different directions, different angles, using grenades, blasters, sniper rifles, etc can't bring him down a lone agent won't either.

This is why even non force sensitives can team up with Marr and Lana Beniko. It allows the story to make sense.

Edited by Rhyltran

Because those generators that hide the old man's appearance? Won't hide him from a force user. Chapter 1 of KOTFE is a good example of this. Marr and the character (if they're a force user) recognize that Valkorion is the Emperor based on his presence. Marr states "No matter how many bodies no matter how many times you change your face we will always know you." this is a good example of just what force users are capable of. They can sense incoming danger as well as attack. There's also force moves that are much more powerful than choke and lightning.

Force Kill instantly kills a target that can't block it (only force sensitives can block the attack.), force crush instantly crushes a target, Force drain can instantly drain a person of life, etc. I'm not saying non-force sensitives can't be ****** what I am saying, however, no matter how good you are even in the EU there's force users that you won't be able to beat. Not fairly. Not unfairly. For example a Non-Force sensitive would never in a million years stand a chance against Darth Nihilus, Luke Skywalker, etc. In fact there's Jedi/Sith who's acolades includes things like "Has solo'd an entire army at once." Tulak Horde comes to mind. If an army consisting of well over a thousand individuals attacking from different directions, different angles, using grenades, blasters, sniper rifles, etc can't bring him down a lone agent won't either.

This is why even non force sensitives can team up with Marr and Lana Beniko. It allows the story to make sense.

Well...we will have to agree to disagree I guess. I am not nearly...actually swtor is pretty much all my SW lore so I am already afraid I am talking bs:) I am afraid any further arguments on my part will be half (if not more) questions:

You mentioned how in chapter 1 of KotFE (I really should watch this KotFE twitch!) Marr and possible player force user recognize the Empreror although he have new body/face. My question is: are you sure they do so because they can see a person's....aura?/force aura...and not because they can sense how powerful he is and put two and two together?

The force moves you gave as an example: do we (and maybe more importantly: do the non force users) know how these powers work (and thus how they could be countered)? Can they be deceived? Maybe use some technology (probably expensive) to absorb it?

...anyway to keep the post short - if you like to answer the above questions -great. Thanks for the info!

If you don't - well...you don't:)

PS: Killing (or more importantly - blasting with a ship cannons:) )darth Nihilus's ship would be simple (him actually dying is not certain however) - the problem comes that (afaik) he is keeping and moving his ship together with the force (tk or something). So he is practically invisible....

Well...we will have to agree to disagree I guess. I am not nearly...actually swtor is pretty much all my SW lore so I am already afraid I am talking bs:) I am afraid any further arguments on my part will be half (if not more) questions:

You mentioned how in chapter 1 of KotFE (I really should watch this KotFE twitch!) Marr and possible player force user recognize the Empreror although he have new body/face. My question is: are you sure they do so because they can see a person's....aura?/force aura...and not because they can sense how powerful he is and put two and two together?

The force moves you gave as an example: do we (and maybe more importantly: do the non force users) know how these powers work (and thus how they could be countered)? Can they be deceived? Maybe use some technology (probably expensive) to absorb it?

...anyway to keep the post short - if you like to answer the above questions -great. Thanks for the info!

If you don't - well...you don't:)

PS: Killing (or more importantly - blasting with a ship cannons:) )darth Nihilus's ship would be simple (him actually dying is not certain however) - the problem comes that (afaik) he is keeping and moving his ship together with the force (tk or something). So he is practically invisible....

I read most of the star wars books and comics so I'll gladly answer any questions that you have. :) No a Jedi and Sith can do a lot more than sense just how powerful someone is. A Jedi and Sith can even feel their master sometimes light years away. Not just based on power but by their presence in the force. Everyone gives off a different signature if you will. They could sense vitiate because they've met him once before so they know what kind of signature he gives off.

Force users can even pinpoint other people they've met in the past and even telepathically communicate with them (again sometimes even lightyears away.) If someone a Jedi/Sith is close to (as in a major enemy or a close friend) they can even sense their death and are aware if the person is still alive or is dead.

For things like force crush, kill, and life drain. There is no way to dodge them as a non force user. They can't be dooped. The only means of avoiding them would be to get in close proximity to a creature known as a Ysalamiri lizard. These lizards create a barrier that blocks out the force. No, this ability can't be manufactured because in a sense their ability is a force power all of it's own that it evolved/learned to use to avoid a predator on it's planet that hunts via the force. Unfortunately during this time period these lizards are unknown and even in the future only a handful of people know where these lizards exists.

Destroying Nihilus ship is potentially possible but also possible is him just draining everyone of their life aboard your own ship. I mean, the problem when we have the most powerful force users is we've had Sith that were capable of making stars go supernova. Create fleet destroying wormholes and draining entire planets of all life on a whim. Force users can range from being skilled and very dangerous combatants, to demigods, to eldritch abominations. It depends on their power. Also in star wars history the absolute most powerful Sith and Jedi have been defeated by other powerful Sith and Jedi. For good reason.

If you were a bounty hunter and you stood 30 feet from a sith capable of force crush. You can draw your blaster and he can raise his hand. You're dead. Also there's been Sith/Jedi who have tanked Turbolaser fire from starships. So.. forget grenades/missles against opponents of that level.

Hmm I didn't know that (powerful...or very powerful) force users could take starship's turbolaser fire.....my secret weapon won't work damn it!:)

To be fair this is really the very strongest of force users. I was just telling you what the very upper limits look like. :p To be fair most Darths and Jedi Masters aren't anywhere close to that powerful but yes there's some sith lords/jedi in the history of star wars that a non force user won't have a ghost of a chance against. In fact, many are so powerful other Sith don't stand a chance. A good example is Assaj Ventress vs Yoda. Assaj Ventress was the student of Count Dooku. She was fully capable of taking a large number of soldiers on, defeating many Jedi, and even Jedi masters with relative ease.

Despite this when she fought against Yoda he casually with a single hand prevented her from striking her target. Then used the force to pull her lightsabers from her hand before returning them to her. She was literally no threat to him. Despite being a very dangerous Sith student. This is why in the movies when Obi Wan Kenobi begs Yoda to send him after Palpatine instead of Anakin he is told outright "no. You need to face your former student." because Obi Wan would die in three seconds top against Sidious. (If Sid's decided not to play with him.)

Personally I think people underestimate the non-force sensitive characters as well. We know through story that the bounty hunter, agent, trooper, and maybe the smuggler can all take on "Master" level opponents. So they're at least as "tough" as a master themselves. To me the expansion's story works with them and does make sense. Many here don't think it does but given that the characters are that strong and you will work with people like Lana Beniko.. the things these non force sensitives can do when the enemy is facing down another force user can really sway the tide.

The agent isn't just some run of the mill agent. He's the best infiltrator covert ops specialist in the entire galaxy. The bounty hunter is the greatest hunter of his generation. Likewise similar credentials to the smuggler and Trooper. These people may not be able to face down the likes of Vitiate solo but they're not going to. That's the point of having powerful allies.

Edited by Rhyltran

To be fair this is really the very strongest of force users. I was just telling you what the very upper limits look like. :p To be fair most Darths and Jedi Masters aren't anywhere close to that powerful but yes there's some sith lords/jedi in the history of star wars that a non force user won't have a ghost of a chance against. In fact, many are so powerful other Sith don't stand a chance. A good example is Assaj Ventress vs Yoda. Assaj Ventress was the student of Count Dooku. She was fully capable of taking a large number of soldiers on, defeating many Jedi, and even Jedi masters with relative ease.

Despite this when she fought against Yoda he casually with a single hand prevented her from striking her target. Then used the force to pull her lightsabers from her hand before returning them to her. She was literally no threat to him. Despite being a very dangerous Sith student. This is why in the movies when Obi Wan Kenobi begs Yoda to send him after Palpatine instead of Anakin he is told outright "no. You need to face your former student." because Obi Wan would die in three seconds top against Sidious. (If Sid's decided not to play with him.)

Personally I think people underestimate the non-force sensitive characters as well. We know through story that the bounty hunter, agent, trooper, and maybe the smuggler can all take on "Master" level opponents. So they're at least as "tough" as a master themselves. To me the expansion's story works with them and does make sense. Many here don't think it does but given that the characters are that strong and you will work with people like Lana Beniko.. the things these non force sensitives can do when the enemy is facing down another force user can really sway the tide.

The agent isn't just some run of the mill agent. He's the best infiltrator covert ops specialist in the entire galaxy. The bounty hunter is the greatest hunter of his generation. Likewise similar credentials to the smuggler and Trooper. These people may not be able to face down the likes of Vitiate solo but they're not going to. That's the point of having powerful allies.

They might be on Master Sith/Master Jedi level, but we are talking here for normal Masters, if they are to face someone like the Emperor himself they definitely will not have chance by themselves... the Emperor is beyond any overpowered character at least that the vibe I got from the twitch. Also if they are to face Yoda, I don't think they will manage on their own, but if Lana and Marr are there, well this is entirely different case.

They might be on Master Sith/Master Jedi level, but we are talking here for normal Masters, if they are to face someone like the Emperor himself they definitely will not have chance by themselves... the Emperor is beyond any overpowered character at least that the vibe I got from the twitch. Also if they are to face Yoda, I don't think they will manage on their own, but if Lana and Marr are there, well this is entirely different case.

Damn it...missed the twitch and now I can't find it anywhere:(

But back on topic - to be honest I am hoping we never battle him, as even Revan felt underpowered compared to the Emperor (end of SoR) and our force users (that are supposed to be quite powerful) felt underpowered compared to Revan:)

I hope it will mostly be battle to....create a powerbase which should put the non force users on the same level as the force users....