August Livestream Wrap-up

EricMusco

If you get jumped by Bob and Sue who are actual players in PVP gear then a companion is highly unlikely to save you. The amount of times that a companion would make even a lick of difference to whether or not you actually die in this situation would be so minor it really wouldn't justify them thinking or planning for it.

It would make a big difference, which is the point. Expertise provides a substantial boost even if you say otherwise.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would make a big difference, which is the point. Expertise provides a substantial boost even if you say otherwise.

In your example above, you mentioned being jumped by "Bob and Sue".

If those are two players against one with a companion, the fight is heavily lopsided. First, because companion dps output is less than half a player dps. Second, because Bob and Sue each have companions of their own, making it 4 against 2.

Expertise isn't going to fix that problem.

Edited by Khevar

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Mounts are just skins -- yet people spend all sorts of time and money to get them, even when they get multiple free ones for every new character (and with the availability of cantina codes, that's about 100% of the player base).

3.x introduced 192 Yavin gear to very wide acclaim, basically giving all companions of a given type the same stats; the major complaint was that it was static statted, forcing players to gear their companions in "undesirable" gear.

3.x later introduced Outfit Designer to almost universal acclaim, letting us make multiple skins for our chars. The biggest complaint? It didn't work with Companions -- people wanted to be able to use the 192 yavin gear which basically gave every companion.

At the time, the devs said they would look into expanding Outfit Designer to cover companions. I'm guessing this was the easy way of doing it.

I am not opposed to the stat removal from companions, far from it.

It just "slightly" annoys me that it breaks the storyline, basically negating everything that happens in KotFE, just because people cannot live without their waifus while doing dailies.

In your example above, you mentioned being jumped by "Bob and Sue".

If those are two players against one with a companion, the fight is heavily lopsided. First, because companion dps output is less than half a player dps. Second, because Bob and Sue each have companions of their own, making it 4 against 2.

Expertise isn't going to fix that problem.

The point is that it's a substantial increase in the effectiveness of your companion, both in survivability and damage. Who cares if you still most likely ultimately lose, you get to fight a bit longer. There are any number of scenarios where that expertise on your companion might be enough for you to win the fight. But what is your argument against gearing companions with expertise anyways?

It just "slightly" annoys me that it breaks the storyline, basically negating everything that happens in KotFE, just because people cannot live without their waifus while doing dailies.

It's ironic that you use "story integrity" to attack people who object to Bioware blithely garbage-canning the existing character development and storyline for the PCs and their companions, and really treating the companions as non-entities in SoR (go ahead, give Lana/Theron a big smooch right in front of your character's spouse, no one will even mention it).

The actual problem you're running into here is the time-skip conceit of KotFE (borrowed nicely from ME2) with which Bioware paints themselves into a corner. Either they lock every PC that's played through KotFE out of all previous content, including Ops, Flashpoints, Dalies, most event content, much PvP content, etc, because they should be however many years in the future -- or they allow PCs to jump back and forth in time, from the future of KotFE to the past in which they're fighting Revanites on Yavin 4 or Dreadites on Oricon. And in that "past", the existing companions make more "story sense" than any of the new companions from KotFE.

And your repeated "waifu" comments -- complete undermine whatever point it is you're trying to make. There are players whose favorite companion isn't a romance/spouse, or who don't even do romances on their PCs, who are just as bothered by what we've learned about KotFE's disregard for everything that came before -- and see the deep irony in Bioware talking about a "refocus on story" at the same time.

Not every companion is a "waifu" -- I had to look that up, and tbh, your use of it is actually quite offensive. Many people have spent time and money on their and their companions' gear in order to get a "team" look they want and many people have spent a long time getting used to their companion' fighting styles, neither of which has any romantic connotation.

Why does it even "slightly" annoy you that BW is allowing other people to play the game the way they want to? Do you not even consider that people may want to use their old companions not because they are "in wuv", but because they just don't like the new ones as much? BW hasn't released much info on them, which is good in one way (not spoiling story) but bad in that players then become legitimately concerned about losing old companions to whom they've already become accustomed.

I'll probably make my first playthrough on the free 60 they give us so that I can start off with "just" the story companions and see how it goes, but from the little I have seen, there are no new companions I'd want to use instead of my existing character's established companions, few of whom were the characters' LI.

The late bird doesn't get answers, but I guess I'll ask away anyway. See if anyone else got something I didn't.

1) One "Free" 60. Obviously, this is a new character. No affection. No story. However, will the backstory of the character imply that they completed the story per BioWare lore? (ex, the knight fought the emperor light side story blah blah blah?). Will there be time when you first start up the character to, say, max affection your original companions? Would their affection/love interest have any affect in chapter 1? (See Kira leaving the knight. If they were "together", would that scene be adjusted?)

2) Instant 60. Obviously a big button issue. In my case, I'm looking forward to it. I am an alt-o-holic. And sadly, I am a huge RPer. This means that if I don't like a character or the way it was designed, or I get bored and want to restart the story, I delete and remake the same class over and over. This kills the replay value of the character. On top of that, 12x only helps us get past Corellia. Makeb has an exp boost which helps too. But the problem is, Makeb/Rishi/etc are the SAME story, essentially. So no matter how I look at it, it's the same grind. Only words and choices would change. So I look forward to making level 60s, even if I have to pay for them, for that reason alone. As long as there is a way to get them customized and tweaked before the story begins.

3) KotFE. Would the character keep the existing armor set they are wearing? Or are they forced to change when the saga begins? Can the story mode be entered and left easily? EX: I'm in chapter 2, but I want to attend an event on Tython that players that don't play KotFE are part of. Can I easily switch out and in to join them?

I watched the live cast, and I'm excited to play! Thanks for giving us the love! :)

Not every companion is a "waifu" -- I had to look that up, and tbh, your use of it is actually quite offensive. Many people have spent time and money on their and their companions' gear in order to get a "team" look they want and many people have spent a long time getting used to their companion' fighting styles, neither of which has any romantic connotation.

Why does it even "slightly" annoy you that BW is allowing other people to play the game the way they want to? Do you not even consider that people may want to use their old companions not because they are "in wuv", but because they just don't like the new ones as much? BW hasn't released much info on them, which is good in one way (not spoiling story) but bad in that players then become legitimately concerned about losing old companions to whom they've already become accustomed.

I'll probably make my first playthrough on the free 60 they give us so that I can start off with "just" the story companions and see how it goes, but from the little I have seen, there are no new companions I'd want to use instead of my existing character's established companions, few of whom were the characters' LI.

Fighting styles are not unique to companion, but to roles, because their abilities and AI are almost exactly identical for all 5 archetypes (healer, mDPS, rDPS, mTank, rTank), the only exception I can think of is Forex, who uses harpoon instead of jump. You can bet that Lana in mDPS mode will behave exactly like Kira, just with different look. So claiming that "people are used to a fighting style" is a moot point.

So looks/personality are the only reason why would someone want companions back. Looks are being made easier with not having to worry about stats, and you will get the old armor mailed back to you. And we do not know anything about personalities, so yeah...

As to why it annoys me, well, it annoys me because I am a story nut, and when said character is not supposed to be there from a story perspective, then so be it. I don't recall anybody having that kind of issue with Mass Effect or Dragon Age games (yes, they are singleplayer games, but for this purpose, it doesn't matter, as we are talking about story logic). I am perfectly fine, and actually hope, that old companions and LIs will be brought back, eventually, but in a logical way (like say, you are fighting an overwhelming battle with your SI, and suddenly Khem leaps in from somewhere, saving your bacon)

It's ironic that you use "story integrity" to attack people who object to Bioware blithely garbage-canning the existing character development and storyline for the PCs and their companions, and really treating the companions as non-entities in SoR (go ahead, give Lana/Theron a big smooch right in front of your character's spouse, no one will even mention it).

The actual problem you're running into here is the time-skip conceit of KotFE (borrowed nicely from ME2) with which Bioware paints themselves into a corner. Either they lock every PC that's played through KotFE out of all previous content, including Ops, Flashpoints, Dalies, most event content, much PvP content, etc, because they should be however many years in the future -- or they allow PCs to jump back and forth in time, from the future of KotFE to the past in which they're fighting Revanites on Yavin 4 or Dreadites on Oricon. And in that "past", the existing companions make more "story sense" than any of the new companions from KotFE.

And your repeated "waifu" comments -- complete undermine whatever point it is you're trying to make. There are players whose favorite companion isn't a romance/spouse, or who don't even do romances on their PCs, who are just as bothered by what we've learned about KotFE's disregard for everything that came before -- and see the deep irony in Bioware talking about a "refocus on story" at the same time.

I never claimed I liked how companions were irrelevant in SoR. It was a bit weird to not see any reaction from Aric when my FemTrooper flirted on every occasion with Theron.

And I have the same right to argue that I do not like the ability to summon companions that should not be there as do people have right to argue that they do not like the perceived garbage-canning of character development. I use the word perceived because those people have no idea who exactly is the character development going to look, basing it on worst case scenarios that there will be no individual references to our character's history (which has been already said to not be the case by Lead Writer)

I have no problem with old companions showing up later in the story, but it has to make sense (meaning the story has to reintroduce them)

I never claimed I liked how companions were irrelevant in SoR. It was a bit weird to not see any reaction from Aric when my FemTrooper flirted on every occasion with Theron.

Imagine how wierd it was for him to be there in front of you when you did it and all of a sudden he's so shocked he's left speechless by your cheating.

Fighting styles are not unique to companion, but to roles, because their abilities and AI are almost exactly identical for all 5 archetypes (healer, mDPS, rDPS, mTank, rTank), the only exception I can think of is Forex, who uses harpoon instead of jump. You can bet that Lana in mDPS mode will behave exactly like Kira, just with different look. So claiming that "people are used to a fighting style" is a moot point.

I'm pretty sure the various companions have different animations and abilities, at least based on name. I have no clue what the new system will be like, or if it will change current companions.

So looks/personality are the only reason why would someone want companions back. Looks are being made easier with not having to worry about stats, and you will get the old armor mailed back to you. And we do not know anything about personalities, so yeah...

And I haven't seen anything about new companions that makes me think they will look (or sound) any better than the current looks and sounds that I have, which at the end of the day, outside cut scenes, is what companions "are". I really don't like Lana, and I don't want to see/hear her any more than I have to. Nick doesn't seem bad (probably who I would use on my 60), but some old gunslinger dude is less interesting than the comps with whom my chars currently run.

As to why it annoys me, well, it annoys me because I am a story nut, and when said character is not supposed to be there from a story perspective, then so be it. I don't recall anybody having that kind of issue with Mass Effect or Dragon Age games (yes, they are singleplayer games, but for this purpose, it doesn't matter, as we are talking about story logic). I am perfectly fine, and actually hope, that old companions and LIs will be brought back, eventually, but in a logical way (like say, you are fighting an overwhelming battle with your SI, and suddenly Khem leaps in from somewhere, saving your bacon)

You aren't being forced to run with "non-story" companions, so you have no reason to be annoyed unless its because you don't want to have to see other people running around with companions that aren't in your story, but if that breaks your immersion I don't know how you've managed to stay sane with all the characters (and companions) not wearing lore- or story-appropriate gear.

As far as single player games go, yeah, they are completely irrelevant. In single player games like Dragon Age (didn't play ME) lots of players obviously have issues with playing the game the way the writers made it, hence the large numbers of mods. I'd be much more inclined to play with just the story companions if I could completely change the way they look (as in fix the character models, not just slap on a few pieces of barely moddable armor) and completely rewrite (and revoice if necessary) the character.

Edited by eartharioch

I'm pretty sure the various companions have different animations and abilities, at least based on name. I have no clue what the new system will be like, or if it will change current companions.

Few have slightly different animations on one or two attacks, but that animation is also shared with several other companions (example, Scourge has "Consume essence" just like Khem has)

And I haven't seen anything about new companions that makes me think they will look (or sound) any better than the current looks and sounds that I have, which at the end of the day, outside cut scenes, is what companions "are". I really don't like Lana, and I don't want to see/hear her any more than I have to. Nick doesn't seem bad (probably who I would use on my 60), but some old gunslinger dude is less interesting than the comps with whom my chars currently run.

A lot of "old" companions are getting returned in the story. As mentioned before, I am perfectly fine with that. I cannot state anything further, as that would be talking about datamined stuff.

You aren't being forced to run with "non-story" companions, so you have no reason to be annoyed unless its because you don't want to have to see other people running around with companions that aren't in your story, but if that breaks your immersion I don't know how you've managed to stay sane with all the characters (and companions) not wearing lore- or story-appropriate gear.

It annoys me because BW says how much they want to focus on the story and then cave in to whining masses about this completely story-breaking thing. I am not someone to freak about everybody running in slave bikini (I have done it as well on few characters).

As far as single player games go, yeah, they are completely irrelevant. In single player games like Dragon Age (didn't play ME) lots of players obviously have issues with playing the game the way the writers made it, hence the large numbers of mods. I'd be much more inclined to play with just the story companions if I could completely change the way they look (as in fix the character models, not just slap on a few pieces of barely moddable armor) and completely rewrite (and revoice if necessary) the character.

Very few DA mods change something done by writers. Most of it is to fix gameplay annoyances or add better textures of armor (and of course, more b00bs).

Green

If they got rid of pvp gear then you would need to grind pve gear which is 104503854035830543 times more annoying, in order to do well, which is just dumb.

Getting PvE gear is just part of the game.

If you're here JUST for PvP and don't care about the rest of the game, then you're SERIOUSLY PLAYING THE WRONG GAME.

Do what you want, but that is the truth.

SoR - if my companions had level 55 greens on they were overgeared for SoR. If you had a max geared companion for the solo fps or Rishi or Y4 you were wasting your time. If you tried to fight level 60s on Y4 in pvp with a 55 you were getting farmed no matter what you did to your companion. On JM and PoT5 there were 60s running around camping unguarded spawns within hours of SoR's start. Same deal in events - don't go anywhere in the Rakhghoul tunnels and think you're safe unless you're stealth, max level yourself with full expertise or surrounded by geared max level pvpers.

Yeah well this will if anything be leveling out that by making it so that all companions are treated equally, and no one will really have an unfair advantage other than level. Also I lol at your Rakghoul tunnels comment. I took my lowbie characters in there on PoT5 all the time. Some people have a pair, and some cower behind others, if you are the latter don't roll on a PVP server.

In KotFE people will have full access to 208 pvp sets (and better augments) as soon as they ding 65 and they will have saved dly + weekly quests to turn in as soon as xp goes on - combined with farmable instances opening up that level 60 pvp companion set would be nothing but bait-worthy for world pvp.

Yeah and there will almost always be someone with less of a life than you that will ding max level faster than you, been that way since MMOs first came out. I thought that BioWare disabled the ability to store up daily and weekly quests so that people could insta ding max level after that happened with RotHC?

Lowbie companions? With level 9 gear my Treek was helping me solo level 19 4-man content at 18-ish. Up to level 30-35 presence matters more than having purple or at level gear and the new xpac will only help assuming BW doesn't nuke presence. Getting the comms and putting them in your companions slots every level or three is currently very easy tho (just a chore), and doesn't do much in terms of customization or variety in the 35-55 range; all purples vs blues on them in that range also doesn't make that much diff. I've leveled lots of characters and have the 1000 kills achievement with all companions in the game. There's no loss on the gearing change for them.

It's not really supposed to be about making it harder, it is supposed to make those quests were you have to bring a specific companion along with you not suck because they require you to bring Mako and you always bring Skadge or Treek so Mako still has low level gear on if any at all.

It's one of the rules of mmo xpacs: if there's a level raise then gearing up to prepare for them has always, always been pure folly. That level 60 augmented pvp set would be a joke vs a lvl 65 that spent some saved comms less than 10 hours after release.

Of course... look at 3.0... if you had already done the 4 flashpoints, then your first stop was Rishi, a place that is designed to be done by a lvl 55 in 162 gear (given out in the above 4 flashpoints post 3.0 solo mode).

Rishi quickly starts handing out 168 gear as you progress, before you get to the harder parts near the end, you're nearly in full 168, then Rishi starts giving you 178 gear.

Sure, sure, you could have been in 180 gear when 3.0 dropped, and yes, that would normally be better than the 168 stuff Rishi gave (not always, ultimate comms enhancements typically suck), but it hardly matters. Either level of gear would have been fine.

Basic comms bought 162 gear prior to 3.0 dropping and that was fine. Basic comms buys 186 today, and I would be shocked if 186 basic comms gear wasn't plenty to start 4.0 with. In all likelyhood, 4.0 will hand out buckets of candy for free pretty fast as well, but we shall see. In any case, save your basic comms, when 4.0 drops, you'll have 216 gear to buy with those basics.

You missed the point... The boost won't matter, you're still going to lose...

2 geared PvP players against 1 geared PvP player, all with geared PvP companions out, the 1 geared PvP player is going to lose 99% of the time.

2 geared PvP players against 1 geared PvP player, all with 4.0 companions in whatever Bioware gives them, the 1 geared PvP player is going to lose 99% of the time.

Same story, same outcome, no difference...

The point is that it's a substantial increase in the effectiveness of your companion, both in survivability and damage. Who cares if you still most likely ultimately lose, you get to fight a bit longer. There are any number of scenarios where that expertise on your companion might be enough for you to win the fight. But what is your argument against gearing companions with expertise anyways?

Actually, no, you likely won't live longer, you may die FASTER...

The 2 PvP players who jumped you also have PvP geared companions that hurt. Now you have 4 things hitting you that are effective, not 2.

There are any number of scenarios where that expertise on your companion might be enough for you to win the fight. But what is your argument against gearing companions with expertise anyways?

I'm not arguing against gearing companions with expertise.

I was saying your example is deeply flawed. There aren't "any number of scenarios" where expertise will solve a 2-on-1 unbalanced fight.

Companions without equipment bonus...

That can not end well.

There are only two possible outcomes:

1) Companions will be stupidly strong.

2) Companions will be stupidly weak.

There is nothing in between.

Do not get me wrong, the original idea was a good. When you leveling up, is annoying trying to get equipment also for your companions. But once you reach maximum lvl, good gear for companions is very important.

It took a long, but my Mako has full 198 gear. Her healing is very high and she can keep me alive even in 60 lvl HM FP. I am very proud of her. After this "companions improvement" I do not believe that my Mako will be still so strong.

That's cool and all... would be nice if we got some more non-companion related news..

Since launch i personally would have preferred they not be in the game at all. Takes away from the "badazz/lonewolf" MMO experience.

Edited by jaytdasme

Jaesa and Kira are pretty similar to each other (double bladed saber dps = double bladed saber dps), but if Lana's style is comparable to anyone it would have to be Ashara (dual wield saber dps = dual wield saber dps), not Kira.

It can also be said that every healer companion except Elara functions (for that role, so ignoring Lokin's transformed mode) almost identical to each other. (I think Elara was set up a bit different since she's the only healer companion that doesn't use cunning as the main stat.)

Granted, they could have some curveballs in there, like how HK isn't exactly the same as Risha or Gault because they gave HK a super kill move that the other sniper companions don't have.

Plus, as you mentioned here, any of this could change drastically with whatever they're doing to make all companions work in any role you want them in. Who knows if that will mean changes in what's on their quickbar... or if it will mean conditions written in to drastically change the functionality of their abilities per active stance like what we already see on some of Treek's abilities... or if the mode will set some sort of buff on them that artificially adds threat for non-tanks to tank and converts most damage dealt into group heals for non-healers to heal... or whatever other ideas we can imagine.

Hmm... I forget (barely tested it out / didn't look too closely at the time)... Does Lokin's transformation change the abilities on his bar or is it the same either way. Because if stuff changes that could be the mechanic that they could take advantage of. That would mean that available abilities is tied to active stance, allowing companions to swap in what they need for the current role .

If not though, then I'd assume an adaptive model like Treek's would be the next best guess for how they'll do this..

I hope we get to CHOOSE who we stay with in KOTFE if we cheated on our original love interest with Lana/Theron. I married Vette but I hope I'm not automatically forced to stay with her because we're married. I wanna keep hittin' that Lana! :rak_03:

Well if its real life, then Vette has a new ship she is riding around in and you can forget getting it back