Ridiculous costs to reset AC skill points

halfhourofpower

I like to play around with all three AC trees as I level but the cost is getting really ridiculous. My fourth reset cost just over 17 thousand credits. Are we really restricted to one tree? I can only imagine how much my next skill point reset will be. Please bioware, set a fixed cost per level and don't have it increase indefinetely upon itself.

Erm...

For you to complain about 17k credits clearly means you are a very low level and also tells me you are respeccing after only a couple levels.

Hell, even by your late 20's 17k shouldnt be more then a few missions or slicing nodes.

You're going to be in for a shock when you get to the point where just training skills costs 25-30k+ credits each

Wait till you have to train at 30+

And it's your own fault. You want to play differently then want is the common way of playing so you have to pay the consequences.

That would be like me complaining about how hard it is to kill things without my blasters. But i like punching things!!

Try researching through threads and streams to see what other players are doing with their build. Also, use a talent calculator. It will help you plan out everything and see if you like the overall build before you go bleeding credits to try them out.

You guys are all missing my point. I prefer respeccing regularly, but with the ridiculous costs it's really hard to do that without putting a big dent in my funds. Bioware is trying to discourage repicking your skills by continuously increasing the price, which bothers me becuase it hinders my playstyle.

You guys are all missing my point. I prefer respeccing regularly, but with the ridiculous costs it's really hard to do that without putting a big dent in my funds. Bioware is trying to discourage repicking your skills by continuously increasing the price, which bothers me becuase it hinders my playstyle.

I don't think everyone else is missing the point.

I understand your point just fine.

However, I disagree with your premise that because you dislike this it's somehow a flaw in the game model.

Respec'ing should not be consequence free and the very reason you are finding it frustrating means it's working as the fundamental mechanic at work here is to discourage and prevent abusive min-maxing on a perpetual level.

I will grant you that experimentation is fun and worth trying out but if you want to experiment at length for your regular game play, there are test servers for that. Or, just like it ought to be, there is a cost to experimenting for perfection.

This 'but I want to!' logic is the same logic at work about wanting multiple specs and the ability to on demand flip/flop between Advanced Classes.

No one is missing the point. They are however also not missing the bigger picture here.

I'm sorry you find this frustrating but believe it or not, it's far better this way than the alternative, in my opinion and analysis.

I don't think everyone else is missing the point.

I understand your point just fine.

However, I disagree with your premise that because you dislike this it's somehow a flaw in the game model.

Respec'ing should not be consequence free and the very reason you are finding it frustrating means it's working as the fundamental mechanic at work here is to discourage and prevent abusive min-maxing on a perpetual level.

I will grant you that experimentation is fun and worth trying out but if you want to experiment at length for your regular game play, there are test servers for that. Or, just like it ought to be, there is a cost to experimenting for perfection.

This 'but I want to!' logic is the same logic at work about wanting multiple specs and the ability to on demand flip/flop between Advanced Classes.

No one is missing the point. They are however also not missing the bigger picture here.

I'm sorry you find this frustrating but believe it or not, it's far better this way than the alternative, in my opinion and analysis.

Good god, all I'm saying is I would prefer a fixed cost. I understand paying but I don't think it should multiply upon itself indefinitely, which discourages resetting the skill tree to mix up playstyles. Why would I want to play around with skill points on a test server rather then on my main, preferred character? That makes no sense at all. It's more then likely that you agree with me but people never pass up the opportunity to tell someone to stop complaining about a certain aspect of the game. Don't assume I know nothing of its use.

Erm...

For you to complain about 17k credits clearly means you are a very low level and also tells me you are respeccing after only a couple levels.

Hell, even by your late 20's 17k shouldnt be more then a few missions or slicing nodes.

You're going to be in for a shock when you get to the point where just training skills costs 25-30k+ credits each

I'm not complaining about specifically 17k I'm complaining about the ridiculous increase in cost each time you reset your skills. And no I certainly won't be in for a shock as it is clear in my original post that that is what I am expecting.

Then adapt or... don't. It's a feature.

I'm not complaining about specifically 17k I'm complaining about the ridiculous increase in cost each time you reset your skills. And no I certainly won't be in for a shock as it is clear in my original post that that is what I am expecting.

You do know that the price goes down after a week?

Meaning that if you dont respecc in one week the price will be cheaper again

It's literally easier to make money in this game than in any other mmo. Stop buying useless **** and you'll have millions of credits.

Don't' use the Ah and don't buy crew skills. I haven't bought a single one all the way to 50. They're useless

You do know that the price goes down after a week?

Meaning that if you dont respecc in one week the price will be cheaper again

Could anyone confirm this? I know it was true in beta that the price would reset after a little bit, and I'm trying to tweak my PvP build at 50.

Another thing, in endgame people who raid will likely also want to pvp. You can't realisitically do both of those with one build. So you would have to respec weekly and perhaps even daily. So don't just throw me under the bus saying i'm a whiner and to adapt when you'll likely be faced with the problem as well if you plan on doing a variety of endgame content.

Those of you naive enough to defend the exorbitant respec costs are probably healers or dps. While it's not optimal by any means, these two roles can use one spec and fulfill their purpose in pve or pvp, not so for a tank. Tanking skills are primarily used for pve; in pvp many of these points spent on increasing threat and damage mitigation can be more effectively allocated elsewhere. Edited by monsieursharkay

• 2 weeks later...

RIFT designers are probably the first who finally got the clue that there are people who just don't want to be always limited in one role. It takes money to change spec in Rift too but having different roles you can switch fast is great idea. I'm not very far in this game and don't know really how things are in this game but mostly in MMOs if you are a tank or healer you have very valuable role in group but soloing is boring as hell with subpar damage skills or you are worthless punchbag in PvP (tanks). And damage dealers are just what they are and there are millions of them competing to get the place in group.

I'm very much supporting lower point reset price cap. I'd rather have a couple of characters instead of 12 to cover all the skill trees.

I'm fully behind the OP on this. I have a toon that suddently between levels 29 and 33 coudln't survive a fight to save his life. I started to try different specs to see if something else worked and after a few tries (and massive repair bills for my failures) I ran out of money and now I can't play him: No money and current spec sucks. Can't continue quest line because I can't win and just flipped to 33 so far too much grind to gain a level.

I understand that the fee resets to zero after a week so I'm playing other toons until then. But as the OP said, it would be nice to try things and not go bankrupt for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the wanting to discourage the constant switching however...

I reached 50 and tried out a new spec every few days, realizing that the cost doubled but figured there would be a cap around 20k to 50k. At that point i decided it would be in my best interest to look up how this system worked. I had to switch once more to fill a spot in a raid (guild only had 8 50's of which i was one). I'm currently sitting at a 99k respec cost...

I'm curious why allowing me to switch every few days like this is damaging to the game in any way. I get that the system doesn't want to handle it(but dont see the reason). How does switching to a dps pvp spec on monday, a heal spec for raid on tues/thurs, and back to a pvp spec for the weekend hurts anyone else or in any way hinder's any other player's game experience.

The fact that i would have to specifically alter my play-style for a specific game is understandable, if there is a reason for it (beyond having to jump thru arbitrary hoops).

Having to devote a week only to resetting the cost to reset my skills is irritating, (mostly because i fail to see the reason that i should have to do it).

Further explanation beyond "its the way it is" or "Bioware knows why" will be necessary for me to appreciate and approve the current system being utilized in swotor.

I've heard, rumors at least, that dual skill tree speccing was somewhere in Bioware's to do list.

I would request that a more moderate approach to charging for re-talent-pointing be taken until a more forgiving system is implemented.

Ty for your time.

Edited by jolleebindu

My playstyle is to pass thru walls without any mobs seeing me and collecting the fat loots. BW has hindered my playstyle as well :)

All joking aside, they don't want you constantly respeccing, hence the increasing cost. If your playstyle is in direct opposition to their game design, sorry to say it, but maybe this isn't the game for you.

You bought the wrong game then.

Another thing, in endgame people who raid will likely also want to pvp. You can't realisitically do both of those with one build. So you would have to respec weekly and perhaps even daily. So don't just throw me under the bus saying i'm a whiner and to adapt when you'll likely be faced with the problem as well if you plan on doing a variety of endgame content.

How are the characters you can't remain viable along side handling this? Why shouldn't people who specialize in one aspect of the game, pay the creds to respec or level a character of each needed build have an edge over you? You want all the advantage of someone who sacrifices to specialize without paying for it.