[Bug] GSF is broken again: weapons are deselected on many ships.

DakhathKilrathi

No, what's sad is that you pay for something where a major, game breaking bug is allowed to exist without a patch for weeks at a time with no updates beyond the initial "yeah we know about this" from the devs.

C'mon, can we get an update here? If it's not going to be patched anytime soon, at least let us know. I understand that GSF is not a major part of the game, and as such it isn't going to see a lot of attention. That's fine.

Just let us know what to expect. Is that asking too much?

What messy code lets people do to your computer.

Admin privileges mean the only limit to what a hacker can do to your computer with the right SWTOR bug is imagination. Steal all your passwords? Ransom the contents of everyone's My Documents folder? Might want to look through there and ask yourself: Which of these could I replace if I lost them (hint: none of your pictures, and whatever you were working on for work), and which of these could seriously hurt me if they found themselves in the wrong hands (hint: tax returns, credit card numbers, maybe pictures)? This way of thinking is paranoid, but very important if you want to avoid catastrophe. It's extremely unlikely to happen today, but unthinkable if it ever does.

--

Normally you'd mitigate an attack through a program with network access by running it as a standard user account with access to only enough privileges to run the program. That way, anything wanting everything on your computer would have to break the program first (that fragile code), and User Account Control second. If you're paranoid, you run it in a virtual machine, which is a real pain to get of.

SWTOR doesn't let you run it as a low-level user, period: it will have run as admin or refuse to run outright.

It probably wouldn't like you to do the second, either, because virtual machines sometimes mean debuggers, which mean hackers trying to figure out how to hack the game. If they're afraid of that, the game is put together badly enough for EA/Bioware to be afraid of someone with a debugger.

Oh, I forgot, the third option: run the game on a separate physical machine, and have your network treat it like a probable threat at all times. There are ways around that one too, but it's rare enough for people to do that with a game that you're very safe doing that.

Edited by ALaggyGrunt

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

somewhat condescending and off topic explanation here

Uh. Yeah. While you're not wrong about the security risks (hi, I have a background in IT, so none of this is news to me), it has absolutely zero relevance to this thread. It's off topic, and to be honest, I don't really appreciate the way you worded your post. I assume that you, like me, decided that it was worth the risk when you chose to play the game anyway. It's a problem, but not one that is unique to SWTOR, and not one that has anything to do with the topic of this thread.

What could I replace if I lost the contents of my hard drive? Hint: literally all of it, because I make regular backups to more than one external drive. All of my sensitive files are encrypted, and if I was serious about security, I'd have them on another computer that wasn't on the network. But there's such a thing as acceptable risk.

Can we stop being off topic now?

To the Community Team, quoting my previous post:

C'mon, can we get an update here? If it's not going to be patched anytime soon, at least let us know. I understand that GSF is not a major part of the game, and as such it isn't going to see a lot of attention. That's fine.

Just let us know what to expect. Is that asking too much?

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

This is really having an adverse effect on the playerbase at this point, we would really appreciate if this issue got some attention, especially with the clash in hyperspace event looming on the horizon. Even if the bug can't be fixed right away, a notification to players in some form would go a long way towards keeping new players interested.

Hey folks,

We are aware of the issue, and the team is actively investigating it. There is no update currently, but it is definitely on their radar.

-Tait

Any other part of the game would have been patched within days for something as game breaking as this bug is. Would love to see what would happen for an ops or warzone if there was a chance of you loading in and not having a mainhand or offhand and be unable to equip one.

I know, I have to check my equipment, but forgetting it thus resulting in very unpleasant situations keeps frustrating me.

Starting a domination match in a Bloodmark, realizing my tensorfield vanished, Launching in a sting without system ability and missiles, having a jurgoran without slug rail...... the list goes on and on.

It gets even more frustrating, when you have to wait 30 +/- minutes for a match to pop.

Is this bug not being addressed on 9/22?

This bug is bad enough for veterans, but it is devastating for any prospective new GSF players. Starfighter has a steep enough learning curve without your ship missing key components like BLASTERS or SHIELDS.

Is this bug not being addressed on 9/22?

This bug is bad enough for veterans, but it is devastating for any prospective new GSF players. Starfighter has a steep enough learning curve without your ship missing key components like BLASTERS or SHIELDS.

Yeah it kinda feels like whatever tweaks they might have in the pipes to make strikes viable won't matter much if people just stop playing because of this bug.

I'd really like to at least hear something about this bug being addressed.

We are aware of the issue, and the team is actively investigating it. There is no update currently, but it is definitely on their radar.

Did the radar get jammed? Did the bug engage stealth mode? Did the Team think they had it identified on their scopes but it turned out to be a commercial airliner? Was it not the bug you were looking for? Did the Team get so tuckered out from all the activity that they needed a nap? Was the investigation hampered by illegally collected evidence? Did the glove fit, so they had to acquit?

Practically every third match, some hapless new player asks why he doesn't have any weapons. Making the initial experience of the new player even more hostile than it already is doesn't really seem in your best interest.

You have a very tolerant and active player base still playing GSF. Perhaps the powers-that-be don't care about that, and would prefer we washed back out to sea, but we're still here, still hoping that at least you might stop breaking the game and fix it when you do.

Despon

I'd appreciate an update too. I'm used to it by now (having learned the hard way - going into a match with no primary components aside from shields). But every single day I play, there's inevitably someone taken by surprise, and that individual is generally rendered useless for the duration of the match - and possibly turned away from GSF for good. The player population can't continue to endure hits like this.

I've had newbies ask why they didn't have any guns as well, and I've gone from hundreds of matches per month to 20 at most.

I've flown one match where none of my ships had primary weapons.

Leaving this bug alone is a really good way to make sure this part of the game dies and stays dead.