Tie SWTOR and The Force Awakens advertising together

-Myk-

There are several issues with your suggestion:

1. Money. It would cost a lot of money which could have been spent on the actual development of the game.

2. SWTOR doesn't belong to Disneyverse.

3. It would confuse people that are not aware of the Old Republic and have zero knowledge about SW outside the movies. Disney would never allow to make unnecessary trouble of understanding the movie for casuals.

4. The audience in theatres is not the main target for games. Of course, some gamers watch movies in cinemas but I can safely assume that half of the audience is not interested in games, especially MMOs.

CGI trailer on E3 and youtube is enough to get attention and actually reach the target customers.

Edited by PavSalco

Isn't there redtape that prevents video game trailers from being shown during movie theater screenings.

Are movie theaters even allowed to show video game trailers? Aren't video games competition to the movie industry.

I can't recall ever seen an ad for a game during the preview trailers of a movie. Advertising a game before your big budget blockbuster movie would be a first.

Edited by Falensawino

I dont know about elsewhere in the world but I have seen many Video game trailers in movie theaters in Canada.

I remember seeing N64 game ads like for Super mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. World of Warcraft has also had ads before movies. I have seen many other PC and console game ads before movies. I have even seen an ad for Space Engineers, an early access game on Steam. :D

I think having something like that "Join the Battle" ad before the movie would be great. Keep it more generic Star Wars as to not confuse people. Im sure it would bring in many more players to play the game, it is free to try.

EDIT: join the battle ad

Edited by dashriprock

Who cares if it is canon or not, hell if someone does they can always add a disclaimer in small print. The point is to get the game in front of as many people as possible. Advertising the game at the of The Force Awakens will do just that.

Who cares if it is canon or not, hell if someone does they can always add a disclaimer in small print. The point is to get the game in front of as many people as possible. Advertising the game at the of The Force Awakens will do just that.

Disney cares if its cannon or not.

They aren't going to confuse/taint their cannon because some free-time AAA MMO project wants to increase revenues.

Disney cares if its cannon or not.

They aren't going to confuse/taint their cannon because some free-time AAA MMO project wants to increase revenues.

If they got some money out of it they wouldn't give a dang. Disney loves your money. Someday they will own this game.

Wait and see.

I think having something like that "Join the Battle" ad before the movie would be great. Keep it more generic Star Wars as to not confuse people. Im sure it would bring in many more players to play the game, it is free to try.

I can't remember which movie it was that I was there to see, but I did actually see the 'Join the Battle' add before a movie. I suspect that it was part of the pre-trailer ads, but it was running as a normal part of the pre-movie ads before a national-distribution movie.

Isn't there redtape that prevents video game trailers from being shown during movie theater screenings.

Are movie theaters even allowed to show video game trailers? Aren't video games competition to the movie industry.

I can't recall ever seen an ad for a game during the preview trailers of a movie. Advertising a game before your big budget blockbuster movie would be a first.

I've seen game ads during the 3 hours of previews that precede 1.5 hour movies.

This would be perfect and meaningful advertising for the game. Put 15-20sec advertisement for the game after the trailer for the movie.

Will never happen. The movie is separate from this game...they'd be better off giving away free Cartel Coins with Build a Bear purchases.

I agree that we will probably never see this happen but, at the same time, I also agree with the notion that Star Wars is Star Wars if it be a Wookie or Ewok build-a-bear, Swtor, Clone Wars, or whatever and I don't believe this confuses the average person. Edited by Monumenta

I think it could be done in a non-confusing way if they don't show game content and instead do something in the vein of the Join The Battle ads. Live action video that establish the Star Wars setting without confusing the viewer with gameplay that all takes place in TOR's timeline. Or the other direction would be to show something like the KotFE trailer but first establish the timeline. They could do an opening with something like "3,000 years before Darth Vader and the Emporer threatened the galaxy, there was another great Empire that brought both the Republic and the Sith to its knees" *cue SWTOR stuff*

I agree though that just straight showing a SWTOR ad along with a preview for Episode 7 would confuse viewers who aren't familiar with the game and what it's about. Because the assumption would be that it would tie into the movie somehow, but yet it has all of these Jedi and Sith running around in a completely different setting.

Edited by MillionsKNives

I dont know about elsewhere in the world but I have seen many Video game trailers in movie theaters in Canada.

I remember seeing N64 game ads like for Super mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. World of Warcraft has also had ads before movies. I have seen many other PC and console game ads before movies. I have even seen an ad for Space Engineers, an early access game on Steam. :D

EDIT: join the battle ad

Team America here! Sadly, down south we don't have video game ads in our theaters. If there's a reason for it, I don't know it. I've heard of European theaters having video game ads among the trailers, albeit of mediocre quality. One specific one that comes to mind was quoted as "cringe-worthy." :rak_03:

That being said: We do currently have a Seventy Bagillion Dollar CGI trailer for Knights of the Fallen Empire. Might as well flaunt it around other places.

Battlefront 3 for life

Edited by kopijkee

Team America here! Sadly, down south we don't have video game ads in our theaters. If there's a reason for it, I don't know it. I've heard of European theaters having video game ads among the trailers, albeit of mediocre quality. One specific one that comes to mind was quoted as "cringe-worthy." :rak_03:

That being said: We do currently have a Seventy Bagillion Dollar CGI trailer for Knights of the Fallen Empire. Might as well flaunt it around other places.

Maybe not where you live, but I HAVE seen game ads in movie theaters where I live in America, mixed in with all the other silly ads we get to see after paying to see an actual movie.

Edited by Andryah

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone keeps saying that this game isn't owned by Disney... Are you all daft? It is completely owned by Disney. They are not just the distributors, via LucasArts, a wholely owned subsidiary of LucasFilm, whose parent company is Disney, but they also hold the licenses to every "Star Wars" based IP on the planet. They will and do make money from this game. In fact, because of the way that licensing works they make money even when this game does not.

So should they deem this game and it's content to be something that they don't like, believe they will pull the plug. I would bet that because of the way that Lucas used to hold the reigns so tightly, on everything, before Disney bought the rights, there is probably a clause that allows Disney to approve things before they are able to publish new content.

Whether they exercise any of those rights, I'm sure, is up for debate, but believe that this game is kept going solely at the pleasure of Disney. Just look at Turbine's Lord of the Rings Online. Do you see anything from the wildly successful films making it's way into the game? Or as another "for instance," just look at Mustafar in SWG. You don't seriously think that think that Sony Online Entertainment didn't have to ask to use that in their junk MMO, do you? It a rhetorical quest, the answer is yes they did. Sheesh people wake up.