Debate of the rising underdog, arsenal or IO?

Obviousenuendo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm relatively certain most of the top ranked Mercs were IO this last season.

my guess is if they're q-syncing, they're arsenal. and if they're actually going it solo, they're IO. but either way, you get stunned early and often. it's as bad as being the healer in that regard.

Med shot, of course.

Haha. Actually, yeah. Find myself popping an awful lot of dcd's - talented energy shield & jet boost, healing myself, healing others, CC'ing, sweeping. Even explosive dart! Now that don't die as easy and get a chance to hit back it's much better. And I'm having a blast.

Edited by BenduKundalini

I try to never use tracer w/o power surge or premium shot...

That's a burst loss because it separates the tracer from HSM by a full GCD, and in a healer soaked meta, burst loss is unacceptable.

Oh and it's also a huge DPS loss, due to lost BB procs and Railshot stacks.

Edited by Zoom_VI

That's a burst loss because it separates the tracer from HSM by a full GCD, and in a healer soaked meta, burst loss is unacceptable.

Oh and it's also a huge DPS loss, due to lost BB procs and Railshot stacks.

Hmm true. So how many times would you use tracer in one minute?

I don't get your first sentence though. A vanilla channeled tracer missile takes 1.5 secs ie one GCD, then HSM. I'm precisely saying I hate to telegraph my TMs and risk having them cut, and it also procs whatever follows without delay.

So if I'm to use vanilla TM a lot it will take forever to channel every time... but I will indeed proc more barrages and railshot stacks. I don't get that advice...

Edit - this is an expert thread and I had barely ever pvpd with my merc who just hit 60 less than a week ago, so I'm out of my league here, sorry. But he's starting to grow on me despite being globalled and all...

Edited by BenduKundalini

Hmm true. So how many times would you use tracer in one minute?

I don't get your first sentence though. A vanilla channeled tracer missile takes 1.5 secs ie one GCD, then HSM. I'm precisely saying I hate to telegraph my TMs and risk having them cut, and it also procs whatever follows without delay.

So if I'm to use vanilla TM a lot it will take forever to channel every time... but I will indeed proc more barrages and railshot stacks. I don't get that advice...

Edit - this is an expert thread and I had barely ever pvpd with my merc who just hit 60 less than a week ago, so I'm out of my league here, sorry. But he's starting to grow on me despite being globalled and all...

I'll take a stab at this:

it's a burst loss because tracer actually hits harder than any other "filler" ability (attacks w/o cd). burst refers to concentrated dmg. no other possible filler can come close to that (take power shot off your bars). if you only use tracer with priming shot, then...

1. it takes longer to build tracer lock stacks (3 tracers for max dmg on rail shot);
  2. those stacks increase your power barrier, so it's 1% dmg reduction for each stack, max 5 stacks or 3 tracers;
  3. if you're not using tracer except with priming shot, then you're not getting a free reset on blazing bolt, which can tick ~5.5k per and snares the target by 70%(!!!!), and the blazing bolts that you proc does more dmg than the standard one (10%).

you have one (or two) instant tracers with power override and one every ~15s with priming shot. but you have an instant heatseeker which you'll want to tie to a tracer on a target marked with priming shot (5% more dmg).

the reasons for spamming (filler) with tracer for pvp are pretty much the same as for pve. it's still a tracer spam spec. it's a lot more mobile than it used to be. but it's definitely a tracer spam spec.

edit: as a mando, you don't want to rush the line. you want to slip into the fight after it's already started. this allows you to open with a hard cast (both specs should use this approach; for IO it's serrated; for arsenal it's tracer). this let's you hold onto your procs since all you're really doing is "priming" your burst. then you can hit them with priming and two instant tracers and voila: a fully buffed heat seekers, rail, and blazing bolts are all immediately at your disposal with a guaranteed crit on the heat seekers. the down side to this is you lack control over your relic procs, but you will usually catch some of your burst in those windows on the opening. the rest of the match, it's meh rng for the most part.

if you want to bait your target, you can open with an unbuffed blazing bolts. a lot of the time, they'll pop a dcd or waste their interrupt on that. if they waste their interrupt, then your next BB that will be a more powerful one (10%) will be uninterruptable. or if he burned a dcd then you can wait for it to wear off before you genuinely try to burst him down.

those are just a couple suggestions. it's nothing you can make a AAA trip tic out of.

Edited by foxmob

I prefer to cast one Fusion missile right to the crowd somewhere between Blazing > priming > tracer > heat-seeker kabooom > blazing. Most of the time i have Power surge for 2 tracers or one tracer and one Fusion.

I'm not amazing merc but it's works for me very well most of the time! :wea_02:

Edited by Glower

I'll take a stab at this:

it's a burst loss because tracer actually hits harder than any other "filler" ability (attacks w/o cd). burst refers to concentrated dmg. no other possible filler can come close to that (take power shot off your bars). if you only use tracer with priming shot, then...

1. it takes longer to build tracer lock stacks (3 tracers for max dmg on rail shot);
  2. those stacks increase your power barrier, so it's 1% dmg reduction for each stack, max 5 stacks or 3 tracers;
  3. if you're not using tracer except with priming shot, then you're not getting a free reset on blazing bolt, which can tick ~5.5k per and snares the target by 70%(!!!!), and the blazing bolts that you proc does more dmg than the standard one (10%).

That is not even remotely close to what I'm was getting at when I said burst loss. Although the stack loss and the importance of tracer has a filler does play into the overall DPS loss.

When a Tracer is hard casted into a HSM it causes both the tracer and the HSM to hit the target within a tenth of a second of each other. If the tracer is instantly casted there is a full GCD between the tracer hit and the HSM hit. This is important because in this meta target's often have HoTs on them or are in a AoE heal, and the subsequent healing that occurs during the GCD nullifies the tracer's contribution to your burst.

Additionally due to the heavy burst healing, and the large amount of potent DcDs, surprising the target and bursting them before they can react is a huge part of burst play. By instantly casting Tracer, you have given the target a 1.5 second heads-up that they are about to get slammed.

However if you hardcast Grav the target gets no pre-warning unless they are already looking directly at you.

Edited by Zoom_VI

I prefer to cast one Fusion missile right to the crowd somewhere between Blazing > priming > tracer > heat-seeker kabooom > blazing. Most of the time i have Power surge for 2 tracers or one tracer and one Fusion.

I'm not amazing merc but it's works for me very well most of the time! :wea_02:

I try not to dot things in arsenal as I tend to use the mezz mid combat whereas it's something I can only use beforehand with IO.