If this game were to fail...

Yaky

I am loving this game, but day by day I am seeing more and more complaints from people who were loving it. Now I am starting to think about what would happen to the MMO community if SWTOR and GW2 fails.

Would investors be to scared, after so many MMO releases getting so low subs. I know people want something different in their MMO's, but its not gonna happen if they cant get investors. Does anyone think this is a big possibility for future MMO's, if the 2 giants this year fail?

Well I think there are two big glaring issues that overshadow any minor glitch or bug.

1) Sharding (INSTANCING) of zones was a bit (or a lot) overdone and what should be a vibrant flourishing community comes off as desolate and barren.

2) Character responsiveness, theres a huge thread on this already, but controls have to be fine tuned to *keep* this game appealing over a long period of time.

pretty much true, in fact if you click on the complainers names and ignore them in the profile section, the forums start to clean up a bit, it takes about ten minutes, but when your done you realize its the same 20 or so dummies spamming hate.

The MMORPG Genre/Game Industry is in a sad state

Blizzard sits atop their throne, abusing their own playerbase with laughable expansions like "Mists of Pandaria", and awful Content Patches; yet no other Company is able to overtake a now 7-year old World of Warcraft, because the products they churn out just can't compete

Even this game, with all it's funding, effort from BioWare, the Star Wars IP, and backing from EA+Lucas Arts — just can't do it. It's awful in comparison to WoW

Well I think there are two big glaring issues that overshadow any minor glitch or bug.

1) Sharding (INSTANCING) of zones was a bit (or a lot) overdone and what should be a vibrant flourishing community comes off as desolate and barren.

2) Character responsiveness, theres a huge thread on this already, but controls have to be fine tuned to *keep* this game appealing over a long period of time.

They said they were getting rid of the instancing on launch, so hopefully that comes in with the first major patch. However, I'm finding it hard not to run into other players. In fact with some quests, Like the ones where you need X amount of enemies killed in a certain area, having 40-50 people in that zone would pretty much suck. That said, I'm really neither for or against it, as it'd be nice to see it gone in rest areas, but active in questing areas, but having it be done in a way that it doesn't start a new instance before the other is full.

The vast majority of players are enjoying the game. They are what's making the servers full and causing queues. The ones here complaining are just trying to start up a flame war.

You'd like to think that, but in reality alot of people will wind up sticking around at least till the end of their free month regardless to see if issues start getting patched. Many will stick around potentially for 2-3 months before dropping to see if bioware makes any kind of significant impact on dealing with the complaints about the game before leaving as well. The game may very well "survive" however since the number of players required to maintain server costs and turn a profit after them is very VERY low, that and the game being based around a very popular ip will help its survivability as well since some fanboys will play purely because it's a "star wars" game.

Obviously like yourself I'm not speaking with the backing of any kind of statistical data, however I am speaking from experience in how I've seen people react to games in the past that haven't had their issues dealt with. The major complaints about this game have been known by the devs now for a long time during beta, and they haven't done **** about rectifying them, which doesn't speak well to their capacity for implementing solutions to problems, however now that they've launched the window for procrastinating about important changes (and adding features that have become a commonplace standard among mmos) is quickly coming to a close.

pretty much true, in fact if you click on the complainers names and ignore them in the profile section, the forums start to clean up a bit, it takes about ten minutes, but when your done you realize its the same 20 or so dummies spamming hate.

Spot on

Even this game, with all it's funding, effort from BioWare, the Star Wars IP, and backing from EA+Lucas Arts — just can't do it. It's awful in comparison to WoW

Then go play WoW and stop complaining on these forums.

The vast majority of players are enjoying the game. They are what's making the servers full and causing queues. The ones here complaining are just trying to start up a flame war.

Day by Day, more and more of that "vast" majority shrinks. Day 1 of Early Access, my guild had 100+ people on that night, with guild chat scrolling impossibly fast about how epic the game is. Fast foward to today, we're lucky to break 20 and most of the chat is, "this is F'ing ridiculous, why the F did Bioware put this in". Our plan to start raiding ASAP was dropped once they saw how easily me and a couple other 50s pug'd the first 2 bosses of Eternity Vault on Hard in our blues and few PvP epics. Couple that with this being Generic MMO 19, TOR's future isn't bright and cheery.

As far as the OP is concerned, if I had to guess, it's more the developers who are worried, not investors. I'm sure if you could sit down and have a 100% open conversation round table style with Bioware with no NDAs, confidentiality agreements, or anything, just 100% truth, I would bet they wanted this game to be different then it is now. But, knowing EA, who, just like Activision, LOVES money more then creating good games, saw World of Warcraft raking in cash left and right decided TOR would continue down the same, beaten and abused path (nothing wrong with it... if there were tweaks and not a straight copy + paste) and decided that's how they wanted Bioware to craft their game. The possibilities are endless for MMOs, but Publishers always want a return on their investment, so we always get stuck with the same MMO with different skins and a few different features. There are so many options, but to get to that point.... it's going to take a developer who is self funded without the oversight of a large publisher who want to make a revolutionary MMO and not stick another bucket under the cash cow and try to squeeze out the last few drops Blizzard left behind.

Blizzard sits atop their throne, abusing their own playerbase with laughable expansions like "Mists of Pandaria", and awful Content Patches; yet no other Company is able to overtake a now 7-year old World of Warcraft, because the products they churn out just can't compete

I disagree. WoW is crap and has been for years. Fortunately for them, it was the best crap with a lot of players. This beats it, hands down. I had more fun leveling to 10 alone than I did all through LK and Cata in WoW.

SWTOR is better but still lacks. Problem is that they lost the replayability while assembling the game. For instance build in maphack, no day&night cycles, NPCs and MOBS who just sit there waiting for the player. But interesting starts when NPC and Mob are interacting with the player instead. Mob Task, where they walk randomly around do stuff or show their character mood. Ort simply they do "realistic" things liek sleeping or talking.

Rightniw Mobs stand there maybe if you lucky are "animated" in a loop.

You my friend have said it all... especially number 1... dead world yes.. and frankly even worlds that arnt sharded seem dead... i think they should lift caps to max and merger servers. It almost seems they expected a HUGE amount of players but yet the servers arnt all that more full today then the saturday night before the game was released. Idk what to think but this whole thing contradicts itself... BW stated they want a community (and so do the vast majority of mmo players since thats why we play to meet friends and have fun) but yet sharding has killed that off, SO BIOWARE TURN IT OFF and INCREASE SERVER POPULATION.

Even with all the servers they have and all the queues the servers seems to have performed remarkably well from what i can tell.

I find statements like this really ignorant.

Just because someone isn't in agreement of your views of something doesn't mean they're wrong. They have the right to express their own views and feelings.

In some ways, I'm seeing many forum posts almost as a sort of 'support group confession', someone who really wanted to love the game, but doesn't, and that sucks for them, so they're just here as still members of the community, venting that out.

It's understandable.

I love how people go "My guild had 100 people in it now hardly breaks 20!!@#!" From my experience, the amount of people active at a certain time in a community is small compared to how many people are actually in the guild. This is due to people not being tethered to a computer 24/7 or they'll die. Also the fact that it's the holidays, and I myself am usually someone who plays all the time, have only logged about a day and a half played on my character since the early release started. This is because I have other obligations during the holiday period. Maybe everyone in your guild is like that?

Also, because you're super amazingly amazing at the game (99% chance you're just speaking out of your *** about EV, and the fact that I doubt there are even that many 50s that'll listen) you down two bosses and quit because they're easy! Think for a second. EV is an entry level raid. If you saw any of the videos of the two fight's you'd notice that "HEY! This fight is easy, and was intended to be easy!" because it wasn't intended to be like molten core on WoW where it had mechanics to delay people for months and months before they released their next raid instance. Bioware intends to release another raid instance -IN A MONTH-.

SWTOR is better but still lacks. Problem is that they lost the replayability while assembling the game. For instance build in maphack, no day&night cycles, NPCs and MOBS who just sit there waiting for the player. But interesting starts when NPC and Mob are interacting with the player instead. Mob Task, where they walk randomly around do stuff or show their character mood. Ort simply they do "realistic" things liek sleeping or talking.

Rightniw Mobs stand there maybe if you lucky are "animated" in a loop.

Do you even know how complicating an actual day/night cycle would be to create in this game though? Lots of planets, like Tatooine, have two suns, and would only see the equivalent of a couple hours of night time, if that. Translate that into MMO time lapse, and we are talking maybe thirty seconds to a minute. It would honestly just be far more work than what it's worth.

It would be nice to see Mobs do something than loop the same short animation or standing there just starring at emptiness, but I'm sure that'll come in a patch. Should this have been coded in before release? Yes, but it's honestly not a game breaker, since they are going to die anyways.

They said they were getting rid of the instancing on launch, so hopefully that comes in with the first major patch. However, I'm finding it hard not to run into other players. In fact with some quests, Like the ones where you need X amount of enemies killed in a certain area, having 40-50 people in that zone would pretty much suck. That said, I'm really neither for or against it, as it'd be nice to see it gone in rest areas, but active in questing areas, but having it be done in a way that it doesn't start a new instance before the other is full.

I would take this over what is implemented currently.

The imperial fleet is pretty much empty when my server is listed as having a que.

Atleast make the capital cities unsharded and a hub for finding groups

The amount of whining about this game makes me a tad sad. I think many people don't realise that this game hasn't even been out officially for more than a week and what Bioware has done is layed out a very good groundwork. Now is the first time they get to see their game on full load and they will change things appropriately. I can't believe so many people actually demand their game to be 200% perfect at launch. As if any other MMO was half as finished as this one is on launch. Unbelievable..

Just removing Shadysketchy removed ALOT of this kind of content lol.