RPers need details about galactic political state in Expansion

Kyrrant

I've been rumbling about this a few times here and there, but as we get closer and closer to the expansion, this is starting to become a bigger problem.

Right now, the only thing we know (and lets put some massive quote marks around that "know" thing) is that:

• Story Chars get put in carbonite supsension
  • 5 years later, we wake up
  • When we wake up, the Republic and Empire are 'on the verge of victory'.

..and that's about it.

The problem is that, while we're all looking forward to the new content and the new story and all that comes with it, we're stuck in this difficult place with our characters because... well, we have no idea where our characters are going to be when the time skip happens.

Is the Republic still fighting the Empire at all, or do they have some sort of agreement to stop kicking each other in the teeth and go after the ZEmpire? If I have characters that live on Nar Shaddaa, are they taken over, or did the ZEmpire just walk past Hutt space not caring too much about them? Does SIS and the Republic Military still exist as a coherent group? What about the Jedi and Sith orders, or various crime syndicates? What about nonaligned worlds, like Tatooine, Hoth, Voss, etc?

The five year time jump is going to be a massive shake-up to the galactic status quo, and the RPers I know want to fit their characters into this new setting... but right now, we're all stymied because we have no idea what the hell the galaxy is going to be like.

That said, I'm not stupid. I understand that I can't expect spoilers about critical parts of the story, and that patience is a virtue and all that. What I'm asking for is one of two things:

An acknowledgement that Bioware is aware of this issue that RPers are struggling with, because its really sapping the hype in this corner of the community, or...

...a dev/prod/cm goes into the galactic political status when we wake up from hibernation, giving what info they can, and giving us info that we can use to figure out where are characters will go, what they've been doing for the five years, and all that jazz.

I know it seems like a small thing, but it'd be a huge help for all of us RPers out there.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After you wake up from the 5 year hibernation the republic and empire are all destroyed by this new threat. Everything hat has happened in those five years are probably going to be explained to you by Lana when she wakes you up. I doubt it'll be like so lets go stop them. I'm sure the lost time will have an explanation to it.

I.doubt BW will give out .ore then they will since they don't want to spoil anything.

Vast majority of RPers I've chatted with are really excited about this change and calling it "a dark storm on the horizon". When I've asked how they are going to respond to the time skip, they just state that they will roll with it and what comes out of it. Edited by NastyButler

Assuming you are RP a character that is completely separated from who you character is, then it will pretty much be a state of all out war, and ultimately getting their behinds kicked by Zakuul Empire, possibly some retreat into a "la resistance" state.

If you are RPing a character that goes through the events of you characters (meaning one that gets frozen as a major threat to Zakuul Empire), then the same, but without actually living through those "5 years of hell".

Edited by Aries_cz

An acknowledgement that Bioware is aware of this issue that RPers are struggling with, because its really sapping the hype in this corner of the community, or...

How does this help in any way? So they acknowledge that you're upset, then what? I doubt they'll spill on the whole story just because a few RPers can't wait.

They've already said enough. New faction comes and kicks everyone's ***, pretty much dismantling both sides.

Vast majority of RPers I've chatted with are really excited about this change and calling it "a dark storm on the horizon". When I've asked how they are going to respond to the time skip, they just state that they will roll with it and what comes out of it.
^This.

There's no easier way to RP the confusion and ignorance* my character will suffer upon awaking from five years of hibernation than to be confused and ignorant* about what I missed while I slept, who hates who now, and where my pants are.

*For the record, I expect that confusion and ignorance to last all the way to end of the opening cut-scene after I awake from hibernation.

The problem RP groups will have is basically the same as now... We can't ALL be Outlanders.

Just like we can't all be the Empire's Wrath, or the Battlemaster, or Darth Nox. or the Bar'senthor, etc.

Unless one is RP'ing completely solo, our characters are likely going to have to be fit into this new galaxy as something other than the "Prime Hero". To that end, it will be helpful to know details of events during that "missing" 5 years so that RP guilds can figure out how their members made it through that period to the new "present day".

How does this help in any way? So they acknowledge that you're upset, then what? I doubt they'll spill on the whole story just because a few RPers can't wait.

They've already said enough. New faction comes and kicks everyone's ***, pretty much dismantling both sides.

First, knowing that they're aware of the issue and can't address it right now isn't a major thing, but it's at least a bit reassuring, especially if they can say something like "We're working on it, just be patient".

Second? FFS, did you read it at all? I'm not asking for spoilers. I say, outright, that I understand that they can't give spoilers. I'm asking for info that's going to be common knowledge in the galaxy when the Outlander wakes up, that's almost certainly going to be heavily exposited on to catch our chars up to speed once we wake up.

They're already teasing a lot of it out, but not enough to actually consider options.

But, hey, you clearly know more about what the people I've chatted with need than I do. Guess you're psychic or something.

The problem RP groups will have is basically the same as now... We can't ALL be Outlanders.

Just like we can't all be the Empire's Wrath, or the Battlemaster, or Darth Nox. or the Bar'senthor, etc.

Unless one is RP'ing completely solo, our characters are likely going to have to be fit into this new galaxy as something other than the "Prime Hero". To that end, it will be helpful to know details of events during that "missing" 5 years so that RP guilds can figure out how their members made it through that period to the new "present day".

While we can't all be the Outlander, I can certainly have been frozen in carbonite (for some IC reason totally unrelated to the Outlander stuff) for the last five years. In fact, my entire guild could have been attacked while on our guild ship ... attacked by a "carbonite bomb" that froze us all.

Or, players can choose to RP that their characters were awake and active. Perhaps in hiding? Perhaps imprisoned? Perhaps spending all their time stealing the pants of all the poor souls frozen in carbonite? I don't really need the details of what happened during the five years to devise a plan for my RP.

Edited by Thoronmir

Right, I think this is a point that I failed to get across.

I don't plan on my chars taking a long nap for five years. They're not the Outlander, they're just normal people (for the most part), and they're going to be living through it all. Its hard to know what the char will be doing if they're a soldier or Jedi or Sith or something without knowing what the general state of the galaxy is.

I don't get why RP'ers need to be able to look into the future specifically. Life happens as it is and I would consider it an ultimate RP experience to figure out what's going on as the story develops.

If I remember right the 5 year gap is in chapter 3 and not at the beginning of the new story line. Either way it'll be a new situation in the SWTOR universe and we'll all have to come to terms with it. I would find it a shame to find out too much about story elements before actually going through the story.

I

First, knowing that they're aware of the issue and can't address it right now isn't a major thing, but it's at least a bit reassuring, especially if they can say something like "We're working on it, just be patient".

Second? FFS, did you read it at all? I'm not asking for spoilers. I say, outright, that I understand that they can't give spoilers. I'm asking for info that's going to be common knowledge in the galaxy when the Outlander wakes up, that's almost certainly going to be heavily exposited on to catch our chars up to speed once we wake up.

They're already teasing a lot of it out, but not enough to actually consider options.

But, hey, you clearly know more about what the people I've chatted with need than I do. Guess you're psychic or something.

So you're asking for more information on what will happen in the expansion, ahead of when it will happen, and more than they've been willing to share so far. And you say you don't want spoilers? Ever suppose that you're not supposed to be fully versed in what happened in those five years and the exact state of the galaxy? God forbid they keep an air of uncertainty and confusion for a story that involves your character waking up uncertain and confused after being asleep for five years.

I may not know what the people you've talked to's needs are, but I know that getting told the story of the expansion ahead of the expansion is not one of them. It may be one of their wants, however.

I don't plan on my chars taking a long nap for five years. They're not the Outlander, they're just normal people (for the most part), and they're going to be living through it all. Its hard to know what the char will be doing if they're a soldier or Jedi or Sith or something without knowing what the general state of the galaxy is.

as with most RP use your imagination..make it up...lie....cheat.. pretend.

took long trip to the store..in another galaxy, lost in space, hiding, amnesia, witness protection in Wyoming (where they all go) , sudden case of split personality disorder, was in a mental hospital under sedation, off fighting the war and captured before managing to escape.

anything else you can think up.

what you need and what you want are two different things.

Most of your friends are dead and your faction is in shambles.

They will be fighting a very difficult war they will inevitably lose, potentially joining up with some resistance movement later in the war (say few months before Outlander gets unfrozen).

How much information you need to start fueling your imagination? Do you need a list of planets that get invaded (presume most of them) or what? There is quite a lot of fictional and real world accounts of wars, so draw from that...

The point seems to be going over everyone's head. The OP, and most of the RP community, actually have experience of how hard it is to plan, and to fit your character in with events like this. We couldn't care less about the Outlander, of Havoc Squaf, or Darth Nox, or any of them. We aren't them, but our own people. Five years is a lot. Especially with what we know. At least five years pass, the Republic and Empire fall apart. We need information like this for ourselves, our friends, and guilds. We don't want plot spoilers. Just information for the five years.

And we don't want excuses to be away for so many years, or something, because it's terribly clichéd, and doesn't fit our characters.

It also seems apparently that it's mostly non-RPers replying to this. We can't blindly tell you how to do Ops and FPs, right? As the RP community, we get so little. There has nothing that has been made specifically for us, other than the /me emote system, and toggle walking. Strongholds are multipurpose. The costumes are for everyone.

So, what do we want? Some simple information to let us plan ahead.

I could easily go into further detail.. but I won't. *shrugs*

I don't get why RP'ers need to be able to look into the future specifically. Life happens as it is and I would consider it an ultimate RP experience to figure out what's going on as the story develops.

I think this largely stems from a misconception a lot have about RP.

For the most part, RP characters don't go through the events that the Story characters do, at least not in the same manner.

For example: My Jedi Guardian character did fight on Corellia. As a Sith. He got nicer after that. My Sith Sorcerer was never a slave, never met Zash, and didn't go completly bonkers by impersonating PacMan.

My Sniper was never part of Imperial Intelligence, my Trooper primarily did Black/Gray Ops, few on the same worlds that Havoc Squad visited, my smuggler is a mostly civilian doctor who's only dipped her toes into the criminal underworld...

Which is why I'm asking for in-universe-common-knowledge at the end of the 5 year time skip. It's likely not going to spoil anything we don't know about already (...probably, at least...), and its the sort of thing that we'll need to fit our chars into this new galaxy.

So this is what you know

"Right now, the only thing we know (and lets put some massive quote marks around that "know" thing) is that:•Story Chars get put in carbonite supsension

•5 years later, we wake up

•When we wake up, the Republic and Empire are 'on the verge of victory'."

Well at this point in time that's all you need to know!

Yes we are all waiting for more info but wanting and needing are not the same thing.

Need!

yea right.

when it gets released you'll have all the information you need. and until you actually get through the chapter that is where you wake up from the deep freeze you'll have all plenty of time to figure out what will happen and when.

you don't need it early, you only need it once you get that point or past that point in the story and everyone else is past that point.

how do YOU explain you having missed 5 years for a war that hasn't happened yet when you meet someone still on starter world?

I am saying this as an RPer, the request to know more about those 5 years can be considered spoilers and BW should not have have to tell the RP community what happened.

We don't know how they stories are going to go. The first few chapters can be them telling us what happen those five years and if they tell us now, well all that hard work they have put in has been leaked early. They do not need to tell us what happened those five years for RPers to work something out. RPers are a creating and resourceful bunch. Some of the key Star Wars lore used was created by RPers.

RPers and RP guilds can easily write up multiple possibilities and then when BW does officially state what happened they can adjust to it. It might not be a quick process but it can be done with creative effort.

But expecting BW to tell us what happened those five years is equal to expecting them to tell us the entire plot of their new expansion now. And I will state this again, it is because we have to accept as readers of the story that those first few chapters are going to be about what happened those five years.

I am saying this as an RPer, the request to know more about those 5 years can be considered spoilers and BW should not have have to tell the RP community what happened.

We don't know how they stories are going to go. The first few chapters can be them telling us what happen those five years and if they tell us now, well all that hard work they have put in has been leaked early. They do not need to tell us what happened those five years for RPers to work something out. RPers are a creating and resourceful bunch. Some of the key Star Wars lore used was created by RPers.

RPers and RP guilds can easily write up multiple possibilities and then when BW does officially state what happened they can adjust to it. It might not be a quick process but it can be done with creative effort.

But expecting BW to tell us what happened those five years is equal to expecting them to tell us the entire plot of their new expansion now. And I will state this again, it is because we have to accept as readers of the story that those first few chapters are going to be about what happened those five years.

Exactly. You'll know when the rest of the player base knows.

So you're asking for more information on what will happen in the expansion, ahead of when it will happen, and more than they've been willing to share so far. And you say you don't want spoilers? Ever suppose that you're not supposed to be fully versed in what happened in those five years and the exact state of the galaxy? God forbid they keep an air of uncertainty and confusion for a story that involves your character waking up uncertain and confused after being asleep for five years.

I may not know what the people you've talked to's needs are, but I know that getting told the story of the expansion ahead of the expansion is not one of them. It may be one of their wants, however.

Missing the point a bit here.

Some of us don't necessarily NEED to know "spoilers" about the main character story, but it would be HELPFUL to have some background information on general galactic events that take place during the 5 years of hibernation so as to perhaps be able to fit our characters into that timeline.

Also, at least in my view, it is not necessary to know this ahead of time, but at least having it filled in when the time comes and the expansion is released will still be helpful. I'm certain my guildies and I will be gathering after release to set up how we all made it through. If we have some details to work with sooner rather than later, it might save us from having to just "make it all up" and perhaps having to change something later on.