Is Bioware considering putting out more Old Republic novels?

Kol_Sinde

We had two short stories and three full novels pre-launch and 1 short story and novel post-launch. Now with the Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion coming out are we due to see some novels to come out along side it? Had this been discussed by Bioware, have they even confirmed it? Whatever the case, do you think more novels are worth doing?

Probably not worth doing at this point. The 8 most important characters in the current universe are player controlled, its already slightly annoying that Nox is the cannon name for the inquisitor, I'd rather more details not be canonized

Probably not worth doing at this point. The 8 most important characters in the current universe are player controlled, its already slightly annoying that Nox is the cannon name for the inquisitor, I'd rather more details not be canonized

Wait, do they ever state that Nox is canon?

To be noted: If they were to publish new books tied to TOR, they would need to be labelled as "Legends". Disney has been adamant in saying there would be no new material released under that banner, only old stuff republished.

And if they broke their own rule, then I demand a novel to end the post-ROTJ EU correctly, the current "ending" is far too frustrating.

By the way, to those who hate "Revan" and "Annihilation", have you read "Fatal Alliance"? Revan wasn't very good but it was better than that... thing Sean Williams delivered and Annihilation was a nice sequel to Lost Suns and a very decent Star Wars novel were the protagonist isn't remotely Force Sensitive.

It isn't anymore. There is no set TOR canon.

There never was to begin with. As far as the game alone is concerned, canon is whatever each individual player wants it to be.

The whole Nox thing, for example, was implemented by Wookieepedia to facilitate what to write for the Sith Inquisitor biography, NOT something set in stone by the developers.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

If they do, I hope they aren't written by Karpyshyn. Revan and Annihilation were both atrocious.

Factually incorrect.

By the way, to those who hate "Revan" and "Annihilation", have you read "Fatal Alliance"? Revan wasn't very good but it was better than that... thing Sean Williams delivered

Also wrong. Though his TF:U novelization was indeed garbage.

To OP: Probably not, for the aforementioned post-Disney Nuke reasons. I will certainly never buy a Star Wars book with the word "Legends" on the cover. And to clarify, that's in protest of Disney shenanigans, not a reflection on the quality of the EU.

On the Nox thing: It's "sort of canon" based on the fact that Nox is the title/name you're awarded if you finish the Inquisitor story on the dark side and overall darkside is/was the canon assumption of all Sith characters. Left to their own devices, Bioware may not follow up on that assumption but there it is.

Edited by CrutchCricket

I'd be all for it if it was about new characters or side characters (and not God-like ones either) in the same timeline. Ex: Jonas Balker, Shara Jenn, random Sith apprentice or Mandalorian, etc...I loved Annihilation but wont read anything about Revan or any other canon-ized version of a player character. Edited by Nefla

I'd be all for it if it was about new characters or side characters (and not God-like ones either) in the same timeline. Ex: Jonas Balker, Shara Jenn, random Sith apprentice or Mandalorian, etc...I loved Annihilation but wont read anything about Revan or any other canon-ized version of a player character.

I'd LOVE a story about Shara Jenn, especially if it's set post SoR so we can find out what happened to her (if it's not going to be addressed in KotFE). Heck, I'd love any sort of novel that has Imperial Intelligence as its focus (not necessarily about Cipher Nine). Maybe a book about Keeper/Minister of Intelligence? ANYTHING that'll give more insight about Intelligence would be the bee's knees.

Edited by AngFour

By the way, to those who hate "Revan" and "Annihilation", have you read "Fatal Alliance"? Revan wasn't very good but it was better than that... thing Sean Williams delivered and Annihilation was a nice sequel to Lost Suns and a very decent Star Wars novel were the protagonist isn't remotely Force Sensitive.

Oh, no, I definitely wouldn't call Fatal Alliance "good," but I didn't find it as offensively bad as Revan or Annihilation. It was just incredibly dull to me.

Revan, to me, however, is without hyperbole, the worst book I've ever read.

Factually incorrect.

Okay.

If they do, I hope they aren't written by Karpyshyn. Revan and Annihilation were both atrocious, in my opinion.

Better?

Edited by Rodyn

i agree best love story Ive read. I hope they do make more TOR books but I doubt it. To me this was the best period in sw lore. Armies of sith and jedi fighting each other. They need to make TOR movies. And make them film noir. But Disney will never do that.

i agree best love story Ive read. I hope they do make more TOR books but I doubt it. To me this was the best period in sw lore. Armies of sith and jedi fighting each other. They need to make TOR movies. And make them film noir. But Disney will never do that.

Just so you know, a "film noir" is a detective story following codes set in the 40's like "The Maltese Falcon" and such.

You most likely meaning you'd like to see movies based aroung TOR to be darker, no?

Because if you truly are looking for a "film noir" Star Wars experience, I can only recommend the "Coruscant Nights" trilogy by Michael Reeves.

As for Star Wars not going beyond PG-13 (I guess that's what you are implying/lamenting when you say Disney will never "do that"), it may not be a bad thing. I mean, with a good writer, you don't need to show blood, graphic violence and profanities to make a truly dark story. If they just decide to show rivers of blood and people swearing at each other, it will not automatically become better and it will not really feel like Star Wars anymore.

you are correct in assuming I meant a dark ending. And your correct in saying that being dark doesn't necessarily involve blood and gore. Although I wouldn't not frown if it had it. But Disney wouldn't make a dark movie. Maybe Pixar.......maybe.

But they should make a TOR dark movie where the sith get the best of the jedi. Hardcore fans would appreciate it.

Edited by Ghenghis-Khan

you are correct in assuming I meant a dark ending. And your correct in saying that being dark doesn't necessarily involve blood and gore. Although I wouldn't not frown if it had it. But Disney wouldn't make a dark movie. Maybe Pixar.......maybe.

But they should make a TOR dark movie where the sith get the best of the jedi. Hardcore fans would appreciate it.

Honestly, dark or not, I just want to have a good movie in the end.

But yeah, they'll want to keep Star Wars PG-13 at best. (Especially since, I believe, there is nothing between PG-13 and R-rated which is a bit silly).