Shadow of Revan is the worst part of the epic story boost

FireFoxed

I have to agree with the OP here also. I actually liked SoR my first time through, but after taking several characters through I find it's like hitting a big brick wall for me. The XP is fine, but it's the fighting over objectives (especially on Yavin) that really annoys me. I hope they don't have KotFE built the same way, where I have to wait for 5 minutes for something to respawn, only to have some idiot jump in and grab it as soon it does. I usually just log off and try again later after that, but it's always busy on Harbinger.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do Ilum OR Makeb OR Oricon you will hit 60 by the time you complete Yavin 4. However, we have Ziost now to help too, so....

You can't do Ziost until you are 60. At least, I couldn't get the quest for Ziost on my ship for a lvl 59 character who had finished Yavin.

Also Planets have planet specific stories, so your side quests in a story driven argument doesn't really cut it.

They're irrelevant (to me, at least) because the overall story is of a more important, more personally urgent questline. All of those planet-specific stories are distractions. While it's nice to have choices in leveling paths, I've found the game to be a lot more fun with 12x class xp, because it allows me to concentrate on story. Otherwise, it's too distracting running about doing all sorts of things while the galaxy burns.

1-55 is a blast with the improvements to 12x xp since last time, but after Makeb I just lose the will to continue leveling my alts 56-60. Despite what the blog says, Shadow of Revan is not "a more streamlined leveling experience" - my level 56-59 alts says it's the worst part of the leveling experience.

Some reasons:

* there's not enough XP in the main storyline to get from 55-60. I tried, used major XP item, guild XP bonus, did Forged Alliances, the Rishi and Yavin story quests,, and I'm still sitting at 59. Skip Forged Alliances, and you're even more screwed on XP.

* repetitive endgame activities are repackaged as mandatory story progression. Solo end game right now is tactical/HM Forged Alliances/Blood Hunt/Battle of Rishi FPs and Yavin dailies. And guess what you have to do to advance the story? Yup, Forged Alliances, Blood Hunt, and Battle of Rishi FPs and a round of Yavin dailies. Even worse I can't even queue for the tactical to complete it - I have to do the solo version, and there's zero extra incentive to do the solo version because the pet/mount/vanity items from doing the tactical don't drop in solo so it's just boring and unrewarding. If I have to solo Blood Hunt one more time...

* the story is exactly the same every damn time. At least with Hutt Cartel I remember making a few "meaningful" choices like killing off certain nps - as far as I can tell SoR's storyline is exactly the same on both sides no matter which "witty" dialogue options I pick with 2 exceptions (confronting the Republic/Imperial defectors on Rishi and deciding what happens to Iven). Which quickly gets boring by the third play through. At least let me shoot Kai Zykken jeez.

* there's no side missions with story for when i want a break from the main storyline. Up until level 55 there are all sorts of side missions for when I want a break from the main storyline - planetary quests, seeker droid, section X, etc etc. But the only side quest on Rishi as far as I can tell is Great Beast Hunt and there's no cut scenes so I can't even figure out what's going on.

Tldr: When's double XP so I can finally get my 55 alts to 60?

Unless they changed the XP rewards for the quests, the bolded part is a lie. When SOR first launched, I took all 8 classes through the storyline, 3 had already done all of the Forged Alliances, the rest had not. WITHOUT exception, every one of them was 60 before completing Yavin. The ones that had not done Forged Alliances prior to SoR dropping (and thus, got the XP for doing them after SoR dropped) were 57-58 before even landing on Rishi (depending on if they were guilded and I used XP boosts or not), and every one of them was 60 before leaving Rishi, including the one that was unguilded, and I used no XP boosts on.

Unless they changed the XP rewards for the quests, the bolded part is a lie. When SOR first launched, I took all 8 classes through the storyline, 3 had already done all of the Forged Alliances, the rest had not. WITHOUT exception, every one of them was 60 before completing Yavin. The ones that had not done Forged Alliances prior to SoR dropping (and thus, got the XP for doing them after SoR dropped) were 57-58 before even landing on Rishi (depending on if they were guilded and I used XP boosts or not), and every one of them was 60 before leaving Rishi, including the one that was unguilded, and I used no XP boosts on.

Sure, I could do that by doing every freakin thing on Rishi, but the whole point of the epic story boost is so subs can skip quests outside of the main story line. So having to do side quests on Rishi is entirely antithetical to the whole point of the epic story boost. Not to mention none of the side quests have any story whatsoever since they're all just a click on x npc get y quest type of deal rather than a true planetary quest line or even a cutscene for that matter.

Edited by FireFoxed

1-55 is a blast with the improvements to 12x xp since last time, but after Makeb I just lose the will to continue leveling my alts 56-60. Despite what the blog says, Shadow of Revan is not "a more streamlined leveling experience" - my level 56-59 alts says it's the worst part of the leveling experience.

Some reasons:

* there's not enough XP in the main storyline to get from 55-60. I tried, used major XP item, guild XP bonus, did Forged Alliances, the Rishi and Yavin story quests,, and I'm still sitting at 59. Skip Forged Alliances, and you're even more screwed on XP.

* repetitive endgame activities are repackaged as mandatory story progression. Solo end game right now is tactical/HM Forged Alliances/Blood Hunt/Battle of Rishi FPs and Yavin dailies. And guess what you have to do to advance the story? Yup, Forged Alliances, Blood Hunt, and Battle of Rishi FPs and a round of Yavin dailies. Even worse I can't even queue for the tactical to complete it - I have to do the solo version, and there's zero extra incentive to do the solo version because the pet/mount/vanity items from doing the tactical don't drop in solo so it's just boring and unrewarding. If I have to solo Blood Hunt one more time...

* the story is exactly the same every damn time. At least with Hutt Cartel I remember making a few "meaningful" choices like killing off certain nps - as far as I can tell SoR's storyline is exactly the same on both sides no matter which "witty" dialogue options I pick with 2 exceptions (confronting the Republic/Imperial defectors on Rishi and deciding what happens to Iven). Which quickly gets boring by the third play through. At least let me shoot Kai Zykken jeez.

* there's no side missions with story for when i want a break from the main storyline. Up until level 55 there are all sorts of side missions for when I want a break from the main storyline - planetary quests, seeker droid, section X, etc etc. But the only side quest on Rishi as far as I can tell is Great Beast Hunt and there's no cut scenes so I can't even figure out what's going on.

Tldr: When's double XP so I can finally get my 55 alts to 60?

I would rather shoot Theron and replace him with Kai Zykken. That would make SoR so much better.

They're irrelevant (to me, at least) because the overall story is of a more important, more personally urgent questline. All of those planet-specific stories are distractions. While it's nice to have choices in leveling paths, I've found the game to be a lot more fun with 12x class xp, because it allows me to concentrate on story. Otherwise, it's too distracting running about doing all sorts of things while the galaxy burns.

Then you are missing much of the "world" story. I would strongly recommend everybody do at least do the "planet arc" alongside of their class quest. It doesn't add that much time. But sure, sidequests can go burn on Mustafar.

That's completely at odds with the experiences I had leveling. All of my characters - none of whom are in a 10% bonus XP guild - hit 59 around Rishi or early Yavin. My steathers, who skipped a lot of bonus objectives, still hit 60 by Yavin.

Mathematically speaking, I can't see how it would work otherwise. There is plenty of XP, so I don't understand how you are getting such poor results.

I think a player would have to try to not get to 60 by the end of Yavin. Thus, trolling by the OP is strongly suspected.

In having finished Revan for the first time a few weeks ago, I dinged 60 at the very end of the Revan story. It was kind of strange actually because you get that Lucas (fade to a tiny circle) fade out after you win it, and then I was thinking "wow, I just hit 60 and I think the game is over" and then a second passes and you get that clunk sound that comes when you finish a mission. It really felt DONE. As a matter of fact, I haven't signed into the game since cause I can't bring myself to do anything else in the game now. It really felt OVER.

I don't mean this as any kind of complaint. I was playing the game nonstop for weeks, and then hit that final moment. Haven't been able to figure out what to do since, so I haven't signed back on. Really don't feel like doing anything with alts, as it all leads to the same thing.

In the end the idea of putting FP's as part of the story was a bad idea. I really am tired of doing those 6 FP's that I can't even bear to do them as group content at level 60. I just refuse to do level 60 HM FP's because I am sick and tired of running through them solo mode over and over again with all my alts. It really is worse than just doing some quests on rishi or yavin, but you have to do them to progress the story. You have to do 4 of em even to get to bloody rishi...

It's what I really wish I didn't have to do when togruta come out, but I'll have to do it a couple more times and I just dread it really.

Sorry but the statement is true.

By itself, the main line even with FA does NOT provide enough XP to level from 55-60.

Add in combinations of additive factors including bonus missions, sub XP bonus, 10% guild XP bonus, XP boosts, legacy XP unlocks, kill XP, exploration XP, lore XP, and rest bonus XP, and then it becomes possible to hit 60 doing just the main line.

I've leveled 55-60 over 20 times, and most of the time I have hit 60 before finishing Yavin, in some cases before finishing Rishi.

At the same time, leveling my first character straight through with 12X (no rest XP), I finished the main line at 59 and had to do extra dailies / weeklies / grind a bar killing massassi to hit 60.

Now though, I hold missions on Makeb and don't accept until I'm nearly 55, which will provide enough XP to push a character well into 56 before starting SoR.

I then park the character until rest XP has built back up, unlock FP XP experience boost in legacy, pop an XP boost item, and then do the solo FPs pulling everything for mass aoe.

After that, I usually don't even have to finish Rishi to hit 60.

But again, mathematically, there are not enough base XP to level form 55-60 doing just the main story - only by having various XP buffs and boosts and gaining side / bonus / kill XP will a character make it from 55-60.

Edited by DawnAskham

Can you honestly tell that you took a level 55 character from Makeb through FA flashpoints, Rishi and Yavin story(story only, no side quests) and got to 60 after killing Revan solo?

Yes. My latest one got to lv 60 before I even finished SoR. Are you guys like avoiding every single enemy or something? Never doing a single bonus objective? Never having rested exp? I really don't understand how someone could be having a problem with leveling in SoR.

Edited by Nefla

I'd say they are skipping non story quests that are in the area. If they aren't skipping the side quests, there is no way they are not getting to 60 by the end of yavin 4. Or they're skipping every single random mobs they can.

Every character that I've leveled that hadn't done the Forged Alliance FP's ahead of time hit 60 by the end of Rishi. Even the characters that had done the FP's ahead of time were 60 by the end of Yavin 4.

From the sounds of it, they just want the Story itself to get you from 55-60, and honestly that's just not the way any MMO works. SoR was a decent expansion.

I'd say they are skipping non story quests that are in the area. If they aren't skipping the side quests, there is no way they are not getting to 60 by the end of yavin 4. Or they're skipping every single random mobs they can.

Every character that I've leveled that hadn't done the Forged Alliance FP's ahead of time hit 60 by the end of Rishi. Even the characters that had done the FP's ahead of time were 60 by the end of Yavin 4.

From the sounds of it, they just want the Story itself to get you from 55-60, and honestly that's just not the way any MMO works. SoR was a decent expansion.

Lol the faster I can get my toons to max level the better. My other PT can't wield my 204 unless it's 60. 7 more levels. Makeb(This Planet Exploding so let's put all this trash in the way) , FA (aka Fckin A) Rishi (Squaking Bird and PirateGenocide Now!), Cheese with Makeb, Yavin. Bomb done head to fleet and get my jewels (Run through first bosses including Malaphar on 16m, and boom ready for action.

Honestly I could care less about the story,

I just finished another alt, skipped illum, cz, oricon, but did most side quests on rishi and yavin. I hit 60 on the last quest before fighting revan. I used no XP boosts. Moral of the story, you either must do illum, cz, and oricon, or do the side quests on rishi and yavin to get to 60 before the end. There is plenty of story content to do it.

Are some of those people mysteriously not hitting 60 long before they even hit Yavin 4... skipping all the post-original, pre-FA/SoR content?

(Ilum, Makeb, CZ, Oricon, etc)

The whole point of the epic story boost is to skip that stuff. Why would you create a system that encourages people to skip all side stuff prior to level 55 and then take it all back? I'm just pointing out the oversight.

The whole point of the epic story boost is to skip that stuff. Why would you create a system that encourages people to skip all side stuff prior to level 55 and then take it all back? I'm just pointing out the oversight.

The "epic story boost" is for CLASS missions, which end at 50. Ilum, Section X, Black Hole, Makeb, CZ, Oricon, etc, those are all POST-level-50, with the earlier ones originally intended to be done as post-leveling content once you'd finished your class story -- right about when you hit 50 if all went to plan.

Go look at a character who is between 50 and 60, who has finished their class storyline missions -- they don't have the 12x boost at all.

The "epic story boost" is for CLASS missions, which end at 50. Ilum, Section X, Black Hole, Makeb, CZ, Oricon, etc, those are all POST-level-50, with the earlier ones originally intended to be done as post-leveling content once you'd finished your class story -- right about when you hit 50 if all went to plan.

Go look at a character who is between 50 and 60, who has finished their class storyline missions -- they don't have the 12x boost at all.

Makeb counts for the bonus.