3.3 Ranked PvP = more warzone comms than unranked?

NwahsNirom

I have read the press releases and Dev posts, but I don't remember seeing an increased yield of warzone comms with the completion of ranked matches. Wouldn't this be a nice incentive to increase ranked pops? Or do they not want too many people queuing for ranked that aren't ready (or something??)?

I have read the press releases and Dev posts, but I don't remember seeing an increased yield of warzone comms with the completion of ranked matches. Wouldn't this be a nice incentive to increase ranked pops? Or do they not want too many people queuing for ranked that aren't ready (or something??)?

No amount of comm increase is going to increase the participation in ranked warzones´. The main reason most people stay away is because of the massive disparity in balance between the over performing classes and the under performing classes.

Keep in mind that the rewards structure for ranked is changing. The top 96 will still get exclusive rewards, but Ranked WZs will drop tokens that can be traded in for ANY of the not top 96 rewards. That in itself is a HUGE incentive to Ranked WZ. The more ranked WZs you play, the more potential rewards you can get.

EDIT: Just in case you ask

Ranked Reward system

The current Ranked Warzone reward system indirectly promotes players to stop queueing after they have gotten to the tier that they feel they will end up at for the Season, which lowers the amount of people who participate for the duration of the season. To combat this we wanted to give reasons to queue for the entire season without implementing something draconian-esc as rewards for playing each day of the season. We have come up with a system that we feel gives players a reason to play all season long and keep the Ranked population competitive and having fun.

Ranked players will no longer receive specific item rewards at the end of the season for reaching a certain rating in a Ranked Season. Instead, players will be granted a number of Season-specific tokens based on the tier of rating the player achieved. These tokens will be used to purchase the ranked rewards the player wants after the season has ended. For example, if you don’t like the Silver tier title, the Bronze tier title can be purchased instead for less tokens. In addition to receiving a large amount of Season-specific Tokens at the end of the season based on the tier placed (enough to buy the entire tier of rewards), players will now receive these season-specific tokens for every match they play based on match outcome and performance medals. A player that wins the match with max medals gets a larger amount of Comms than a player that gets the minimum number of medals and loses, at roughly a 1:18 ratio. We believe that this system of awarding Comms based on performance of the team and the individual will create a distinction between just playing and playing well.

The intention here is to encourage players to be engaged over the length of the season and continually attempt to improve and compete at a higher skill level. The better you are and the more you play, the more rewards you will be able to purchase. Since highly skilled players can still play the minimum number of games and earn the Gold tier rewards at the end of the Season, we feel this is the best of both worlds of rewarding both skill and time investment.

End of Season Rewards will be available for purchase from a vendor in the Combat Training area of each fleet for the entirety of the following Season. For example, Season 6 rewards will be available during Season 7 and will be removed from the vendor when Season 8 starts. If you have unused Season tokens they will be converted automatically into Warzone Comms when they can no longer be redeemed for Season Rewards. This gives players a large window to purchase the Season-specific rewards and still get something back from leftover, unspent Tokens.

In addition, there is at least one Reward per tier that is exclusive to the tier (cannot be purchased) so you can still show off that you earned the Reward based on skill alone.

As a few examples of the participation level needed for the Gold tier mount, a player who does not place in Bronze or above would need to play more than 60 games per week for the entire season at a 50% win rate, earning max medals each match, while completing every daily and weekly to purchase the mount (but if they lost every game and got the minimum number of medals it would take about 5000 games in a season to accrue the Comms needed). This gets easier for players that place in rating tiers, but a Silver rated player would still need to play more than 18 games a week, winning half their games, achieving max medals each match, completing every daily and weekly for the entire season while not purchasing any other rewards to afford the mount. These numbers are ballpark but we feel that they have a good balance between being physically obtainable so players will feel like they have the ability to achieve them, while still being a significant challenge and investment.

One more note, Top 96 players will be rewarded enough Season-specific Comms to purchase every reward for the season, in addition to their exclusive reward. They are the cream of the crop and have earned it.

Edited by Psychopyro

No amount of comm increase is going to increase the participation in ranked warzones´. The main reason most people stay away is because of the massive disparity in balance between the over performing classes and the under performing classes.

Bingo. Bioware won't learn that no one wants Arenas. 8v8 helps reduce the lack of balance in classes some what. Adding extra coms and ranked goodies won't improve participation. Season 5 has seen the lowest amount of players taking part.

Keep in mind that the rewards structure for ranked is changing. The top 96 will still get exclusive rewards, but Ranked WZs will drop tokens that can be traded in for ANY of the not top 96 rewards. That in itself is a HUGE incentive to Ranked WZ. The more ranked WZs you play, the more potential rewards you can get.

EDIT: Just in case you ask

I do appreciate your post, although I am aware of the ranked season tokens... I still think a 20% or whatever warzone comm yield over unranked would be nice, because I think there's a chance people may not like the ranked season rewards.

Edited by NwahsNirom

I do appreciate your post, although I am aware of the ranked season tokens... I still think a 20% or whatever warzone comm yield over unranked would be nice, because I think there's a chance people may not like the ranked season rewards.

My wuestion would be "why?"

Think they have at least figured out that ranked should be what you do after you are geared rather than do it to get geared.

For what? The point of lowering the comm cost was to make it so unranked gave tokens to get ranked gear so people could do ranked. The idea is to not need gear, save maybe tweaking, once you start doing ranked.

The only things you need are WZ medpacks, and I've never had a match, even unranked, where I used more medpacks then I could replace with the tokens from matches. Shoot I have 6 stacks of health medpacks sitting in my cargo bay right now, and that is just my main. There are only so many things to spend the comms on right now that I just don't see any item incentive to need more comms. If they constantly added more stuff, maybe... But currently I don't see them adding new stuff to the PvP vendors every two weeks.

I'm not sure it's safe to assume that rwzs will give any comms in the upcoming patch. Seems highly possible that they could only give the tokens.

I tried getting enough people together to test out the new rewards for rwzs on public test server, but couldn't fill 2 groups to get it popping. I've transferred servers on live now and going to make a final attempt with my new guild to get some pts ranked popping, I guess we'll see how it goes.

Maybe someone from BW can shed some light on this situation as it seems somewhat unlikely that the community will test this before it goes live? What I would like to know is how many comms and/or tokens a rwz is worth if you win/lose with 1, 4 or 8 medals.

I tried getting enough people together to test out the new rewards for rwzs on public test server, but couldn't fill 2 groups to get it popping. I've transferred servers on live now and going to make a final attempt with my new guild to get some pts ranked popping, I guess we'll see how it goes.

Maybe someone from BW can shed some light on this situation as it seems somewhat unlikely that the community will test this before it goes live? What I would like to know is how many comms and/or tokens a rwz is worth if you win/lose with 1, 4 or 8 medals.

Getting someone from BW to comment probably won't happen just because they don't want people theory crafting to try and figure out the best way to game the system, granted not that it won't happen anyways.

If you need help, my shadow is there, though I can transfer my Scoundrel, Gunslinger, Sent, or Shadow tank over. I also have a Sin I could transfer as well, though my DPS shadow is the only one with 2018 expertise. I'm not great at PvP, I don't suck either, kinda a tad above mediocre, just shoot me a PM here and I'll fill a spot to test it out as long as I don't have to use mumble (TS or Vent is fine, but no mumble) to coordinate.

Edited by Psychopyro

Getting someone from BW to comment probably won't happen just because they don't want people theory crafting to try and figure out the best way to game the system, granted not that it won't happen anyways.

If you need help, my shadow is there, though I can transfer my Scoundrel, Gunslinger, Sent, or Shadow tank over. I also have a Sin I could transfer as well, though my DPS shadow is the only one with 2018 expertise. I'm not great at PvP, I don't suck either, kinda a tad above mediocre, just shoot me a PM here and I'll fill a spot to test it out as long as I don't have to use mumble (TS or Vent is fine, but no mumble) to coordinate.

I appreciate your willingness to help out, these are some pretty big changes to get pushed out entirely untested. With that being said, I'm not concerned with performance, just the ability to get through some matches and see how the rewards pan out.

I'll shoot you a PM this evening, as soon as I have a better idea of the windows of time we'll be trying to coordinate this in.

If anyone else is interested in helping, send a PM and/or post here and I'll update you all with the information as I put this together.

*DING*DING*DING*

Bob, we have a winner!

My wuestion would be "why?"

Think they have at least figured out that ranked should be what you do after you are geared rather than do it to get geared.

I think that's a valid question... I sort of was thinking someone like me, who has 3 174 pieces and all 168 pieces, I feel confident in my skills that I would want to do ranked but still get WZ comms to work toward more rank gear.

However, I wasn't thinking fully about the fact that the 174 gear will be so affordable now that the line of thinking would be that you get your 174 gear through unranked, then you do ranked for fun and season coins. Makes sense. I take back my original post, and I feel ranked doesn't need to drop warzone comms!

Then you get the ranked trolls. If you increased the amount of warzone comms by X% I would do ranked, But just to get faster gear for regs and since I don't care about my ranking on some toons I'd AFK in the ranked match.

Edited by vennian

Then you get the ranked trolls. If you increased the amount of warzone comms by X% I would do ranked, But just to get faster gear for regs and since I don't care about my ranking on some toons I'd AFK in the ranked match.

I don't give a **** about rating on any character, but when I queue (because that's where the people are playing and the pops are faster at that time) I always try.

It's no different than going into a reg warzone and not playing the map; It makes you a special kind of ******e.

IIt's no different than going into a reg warzone and not playing the map; It makes you a special kind of ******e.

I agree. I just made it as a personal example in order to drive the point home. I am not getting into ranked voluntarely :)

I believe ranked would be less toxic if personal ranking was a hidden number during the season.

Entirely true, although I would say it is a combination of class balance AND skill level disparity. And no one likes getting stomped.