Does a Jedi Sentinel have noticeably better DPS than a Guardian?

Conundrum-NSA

Working on my 1 of every class project and I think I chose the wrong one (Guardian).

Sent has better top output, but not by a large amount as far as I can tell. I also think the Jugg/Guardian rotation is easier, plus you have better armor (heavy vs Medium) and take more damage. You trade off a tad more DPS for a tad more survivability.

This is my Opinion.... Others may as well and have better reasons why than I do.

Edited by Themanthatisi

Sent has better top output, but not by a large amount as far as I can tell. I also think the Jugg rotation is easier, plus you have better armor and take more damage. You trade off a tad more DPS for a tad more survivability.

This is my Opinion.... Others may have others and have better reasons why than I do.

Hmm, then I'll probably stick with Guardian for now then, thanks.

Hmm, then I'll probably stick with Guardian for now then, thanks.

I learned this awhile back myself , I been here since launch. Just like you, I created a Jugg (guardian equiv) and was running it as a DPS.... fast forward, I have guardians, sents and marauders now as well, so I set up my Jugg as a tank. But that does not mean you cant do well as a DPS with it.

Plus, if you are worried what things will be like at end game, do not worry, if you play the toon well, you will do well with it.

If you play as a DPS, do not grab things like the shield for offhand..... No mods or enhancements with defense, shield or absorb, or you will hurt your DPS output.

Plus as a Jugg/Guardian you can also respect as a tank, of course you would need the mods and such, but it is a advanced class that can do BOTH... Sents and maras can only DPS.

I learned this awhile back myself , I been here since launch. Just like you, I created a Jugg (guardian equiv) and was running it as a DPS.... fast forward, I have guardians, sents and marauders now as well, so I set up my Jugg as a tank. But that does not mean you cant do well as a DPS with it.

Plus, if you are worried what things will be like at end game, do not worry, if you play the toon well, you will do well with it.

If you play as a DPS, do not grab things like the shield for offhand..... No mods or enhancements with defense, shield or absorb, or you will hurt your DPS output.

Plus as a Jugg/Guardian you can also respect as a tank, of course you would need the mods and such, but it is a advanced class that can do BOTH... Sents and maras can only DPS.

I'm pretty much a die hard soloist, so my focus is always DPS :-)

I'm pretty much a die hard soloist, so my focus is always DPS :-)

I only changed mine from a DPS to Tank for end game, but for pure PVE solo, knowing what I know now, I would get the Guardian/Jugg if I has no intention of doing OPS... Also, it takes awhile to get your healer as a guardian or Sent, so having that heavy armor will also help.

Now, go enjoy your Guardian and get immersed... :)

I only changed mine from a DPS to Tank for end game, but for pure PVE solo, knowing what I know now, I would get the Guardian/Jugg if I has no intention of doing OPS... Also, it takes awhile to get your healer as a guardian or Sent, so having that heavy armor will also help.

Now, go enjoy your Guardian and get immersed... :)

I have Treek account wide, so healer isn't an issue.

Also, JK probably won't end up as my main once I get him an his companions kitted out. I just don't feel he has any good AoE.

So far My standout characters in no particular order: Sniper, Sorcerer, and Gunslinger (liking that one surprised me)

Also, JK probably won't end up as my main once I get him an his companions kitted out. I just don't feel he has any good AoE.

So far My standout characters in no particular order: Sniper, Sorcerer, and Gunslinger (liking that one surprised me)

My wife and you would get along great! She has the same preferences as you.... When her and I were running around, with her as a healer me as a jug tank, she was literally killing everything with her AOE lightning to the point I was getting board, and that was with her geared and set up as a full healer.... lol.

I did not like the play style of sniper or slinger, ducking and hiding behind things was not for me.... but my Merc (BH), was lots of fun and have a some good AOE as well. I have not leveled my commando past 30 yet, but I would suspect is similar to the Merc BH...

Her and I recently finished leveling my merc and her sniper together, nothing stood a chance with all that AOE we would lay down.... It was beyond easy. Even worse when we started the FP's with the SOR expansion and god droids, my HK and her Treek....

I hate Treek, but that's a personal issue I have, she does heal great though. Well, she did the very few times we needed healing.... lol

Edited by Themanthatisi

My wife and you would get along great! She has the same preferences as you.... When her and I were running around, with her as a healer me as a jug tank, she was literally killing everything with her AOE lightning to the point I was getting board, and that was with her geared and set up as a full healer.... lol.

I did not like the play style of sniper or slinger, ducking and hiding behind things was not for me.... but my Merc (BH), was lots of fun and have a some good AOE as well. I have not leveled my commando past 30 yet, but I would suspect is similar to the Merc BH...

The cover thing isn't too bad, but it can get tedious if you're fighting mobs with knock down, knock back, pull in...etc. Bioware needs to tone that down a bit IMHO. Especially in the Revan fight.

Guardian Vigilant Thrust (sweep/smash replacement for middle tree guardians) is very good AOE especially for soloists. Sentinel aoe I haven't gotten around to trying but watchmen have dot spread which should be good.

The cover thing isn't too bad, but it can get tedious if you're fighting mobs with knock down, knock back, pull in...etc. Bioware needs to tone that down a bit IMHO. Especially in the Revan fight.

I would not know, I parked my slinger and sniper right before Makeb and wont play them again.... I will have to ask wife about that, knowing how often he does a knock back, I would suspect it is frustrating. She is in love with her sniper, it may be her favorite toon.

I would have liked the Revan fight more if it was harder.... I could live with less knock backs, but that fight is pretty much a "gimmie".... The mechanics are more frustrating than challenging, so I can see your point.

If you want to solo, vigilance guardian is the best DPS for it. Tons of cooldowns, very good self-heal, lots of control, and one of the top AOE DPS if you know how to pull mobs together. It's also got a dependable, stable rotation (not to mention almost impossible to mess up or run out of focus anymore) with extremely consistent damage.

Seriously, I have yet to be out-AOE dps'd by anyone in a raid. Typically, it's Saber Throw, Leap, Plasma Brand, Vigilant Thrust, Cyclone Slash (make sure you take the trailblazer utility) ad nauseum until everything is dead or you're out of focus. If you're out of focus, pop Combat Focus and pour more on.

Back in the day, I would've said Sentinel definitely over Guardian in the DPS department, but now-a-days, Guardians build up focus like it's nobody's business and have many powerful attacks and some good area attack damage as well. And I hear that Guardian DPS is a little easier to pick up and go with than Sentinel DPS. The latter requires a bit more commitment.

Plus while leveling, survivability becomes more a thing. Heavy Armor really helps in the survivability department. Yes, you get T7 right off the bat, and the little bot's a pretty decent tank, but he's not going to be able to stop everything right off the bat, and Area Damage just flat out ignores the fact that a Tank is there. Having personal survivability is good.