Temple Chair (Basic) Exploit

EricMusco

Need some clarification:

Is just buying the chair an exploit? In that is it an item that the price is wrong and ]b]not[/b] one of those 1 credit deals like those in the past, or is selling it back to the vendor for the profit the actual exploit. Because if the price is supposed to be 1 credit, I certainly want to pick them up.

Don't worry, just buying the chair and unlocking it yourself is not forbidden. As long as you use the item and don't sell it back, you are clear.

It is intended that the decoration is sold for just 1 credit: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8217945#edit8217945

Also Twitter posts confirming you can buy it for personal use: https://twitter.com/musco/status/613426711145811968,

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like every other greedy gaming company. They are quick to take your money. God forbid someone or everyone take advantage of a mistake which will benefit the gamer..

I don't mean to be overly harsh, but that attitude betrays an incredible lack of insight into how the economy of an MMO works. This exploit is not benefiting the gamer because allowing people to gain an essentially infinite supply of credits will utterly destroy the game's economy and ruin the experience for a helluva lot of people. Frankly, it's pretty damn obvious why this exploit needs to be squashed.

I'm seriously starting to wonder what this exploit entails . Is it that you get multiple chairs - and other stuff- if you login with each character and talk to the SH advertsiement bloke ? If that's the case I'm wondering how that can be an exploit...hence me asking. Folks could be violating some rule without even being aware ( and because everyone gets this message they will start wondering what they did wrong )

Musco already wrote on page one what the exploit is: You can buy an item for 1 credit, then sell it back to the vendor for 100 credits, essentually getting 99 credits out of thin air. When you do this repeatedly, you can get millions of credits this way but BioWare has logs for this; they can see exactly who used this exploit and will ban them, depending on how many credits they made with it.

This has nothing to do with the one-time stronghold introductory quest. That is working as intended since the item you get is not very valuable and can only be done once per character.

Edited by Jerba

I know this is not the proper forum for this but.... I was hoping that Bioware would re-consider fixing the Customization effects regarding the Dynamic Brawler's Eyeguard & Energized Triumvirate Body Armor.

Those effects on alternative items inspired creativity within the community and dressing characters differently - What's the purpose of offering items with effects if people in game are unable to use them as they see fit?

ie. Here is wonderful item but you can only use it this way - not that way (alternative option) well... why not ? It does no harm in game if nothing else it inspires people to use and acquire the gear you all worked so hard on. Why limit the community and not allow us to expand our options?

I ask that Bioware re-consider this and allow us to use these items in conjunction with the character customization options.

Yes, I know this is not the proper area for this but I wanted the devs to actually see the request and consider it.... Thank you all.

I don't mean to be overly harsh, but that attitude betrays an incredible lack of insight into how the economy of an MMO works. This exploit is not benefiting the gamer because allowing people to gain an essentially infinite supply of credits will utterly destroy the game's economy and ruin the experience for a helluva lot of people. Frankly, it's pretty damn obvious why this exploit needs to be squashed.

And instead of taking the chairs off of the vendor for the time being, which would literally only take minutes of downtime on the server, they are instead broadcasting it everywhere that it is out there. It can and will have grave consequences if allowed to continue, but if this spans weeks without a fix like the Ravagers or Nefra exploit then what's the point of banning people?

What I especially love is that the developers made a mistake and instead of immediately fixing the issue they are like, "Just don't do it bros. We gonna bring Thor's Ban Hammer down on you for our mistake."

i found out from Tait "pariahloki" Watson, Community Production Coordinator, on June 19th that the chair was going to be available for 1 credit with no Rep requirements: Link

Today I went to the vendor and bought 99 chairs (one stack). Afterwards I discovered when activating them that there is a cap to how many chairs you can use; which is 50. I wasn't aware of the cap before purchasing them and I didn't take notice of how much i was paid for returning the other half. I wasn't even aware of this issue until hours later when it was mentioned on the community website I'm subscribed to.

i found out from Tait "pariahloki" Watson, Community Production Coordinator, on June 19th that the chair was going to be available for 1 credit with no Rep requirements: Link

Today I went to the vendor and bought 99 chairs (one stack). Afterwards I discovered when activating them that there is a cap to how many chairs you can use; which is 50. I wasn't aware of the cap before purchasing them and I didn't take notice of how much i was paid for returning the other half. I wasn't even aware of this issue until hours later when it was mentioned on the community website I'm subscribed to.

Well, I wouldn't worry about it unless you got greedy, bought stacks of 99 chairs and resold them back and pocketed the free credits over and again.

You didn't do that, did you?

Oh man o///o. I have to admit, I was doin' this before I saw the thread, sorry....Not doing it any more, but there are A LOT of people that are >~<. Thank you for the communication, though!

Expect to lose those credits and maybe deal with a temp ban to boot, depending on how much you exploited.

For future reference, all of the deco's have a max amount. Most are 50, some are 10. You can tell what the max is by hovering over the item. It will tell you how many you have in a form like "3/50" or "6/10". That means you have already 3 out of the max 50, or 6 out of a max ten, in your decoration list.

I hope you guys be a little merciful towards the people who were doing it before you announced to not take part in these actions. I honestly would have done it a few times (which I did not) out of confusion. Obviously if someone did it to an amount that would leave them with millions of credits, please remove them :D

I just would also like to say thank you for stepping up a lot in the past few months. I now see a lot of things being fixed! Like the inquisitor bug on Thanatons desk. I was just able to complete that mission a few months ago and receive my Darth title after waiting 4 years lol.

Like so many others, I thought this had meant that I got banned for doing something I've never even heard of. Good to know that's not true. I know there was probably a rush to get the information out but ... yea it really does look like a "you got banned for exploiting" message.

And instead of taking the chairs off of the vendor for the time being, which would literally only take minutes of downtime on the server, they are instead broadcasting it everywhere that it is out there. It can and will have grave consequences if allowed to continue, but if this spans weeks without a fix like the Ravagers or Nefra exploit then what's the point of banning people?

What I especially love is that the developers made a mistake and instead of immediately fixing the issue they are like, "Just don't do it bros. We gonna bring Thor's Ban Hammer down on you for our mistake."

Even a small hotfix like this requires around 30-60 minutes of downtime, and before that, they have to prepare the patch, upload it to the patch servers and test it to make sure it doesn't break other things. And considering that this happened during European primetime, they would anger a lot of players by doing maintenance. I'm sure they will fix this later this week but since they have logs, they will be able to ban all exploiters even if it takes them long to fix it.

The difference to the Ravagers exploit is that back then, they had let multiple exploits slide by in the past, so players thought they were in the clear. Now that we have precedent from the Ziost boss exploit and got a warning both on the forums and in the launchers, there is no excuse why exploiting this should deserve anything less than a permaban.

Edited by Jerba

I hope you guys be a little merciful towards the people who were doing it before you announced to not take part in these actions. I honestly would have done it a few times (which I did not) out of confusion. Obviously if someone did it to an amount that would leave them with millions of credits, please remove them :D

I just would also like to say thank you for stepping up a lot in the past few months. I now see a lot of things being fixed! Like the inquisitor bug on Thanatons desk. I was just able to complete that mission a few months ago and receive my Darth title after waiting 4 years lol.

Merciful? How can you not think that buying a chair for 1 credit and selling it back for 100 credits is not a bug, and that doing so repeatedly is an exploit of said bug?

Did common sense go out the window?

I hope you guys be a little merciful towards the people who were doing it before you announced to not take part in these actions.

Is there some aspect of it that would have made you think that buying something for $1 and selling it back for $100 was somehow legitimate and intended?

Is there some aspect of it that would have made you think that buying something for $1 and selling it back for $100 was somehow legitimate and intended?

Some people have done it without even realizing and they will be punished as well.

Expect to lose those credits and maybe deal with a temp ban to boot, depending on how much you exploited.

It'll give me the excuse I needed to go play other games, so at least something good will come of it.

It still surprises me (well, not really) that any changes made in-game, are quite clearly not QA tested, otherwise these things simply would not happen (and no that's not an excuse for me abusing the hell out of it before seeing this thread, cest la vie :rolleyes:)

Least I haven't done anything prior to this in terms of exploiting, I'll take it like a man.... *sobs*

It'll give me the excuse I needed to go play other games, so at least something good will come of it.

It still surprises me (well, not really) that any changes made in-game, are quite clearly not QA tested, otherwise these things simply would not happen (and no that's not an excuse for me abusing the hell out of it before seeing this thread, cest la vie :rolleyes:)

Least I haven't done anything prior to this in terms of exploiting, I'll take it like a man.... *sobs*

Mistakes happen, bugs happen. The problem arises when people don't act responsibly and get smacked around for it.

Well, damn... in my infinite wisdom I bought 50 chairs, tried to use them and ended up selling them because I had the vendor window still open. This happens occasionally. I used the buyback option on them, so... hopefully this won't get flagged on my account. I have a lot of well-earned credits on this account D:

What i wanna know is why you guys don't have a system in place to be able to disable certain npc's or certain items npc's sell. Sounds like you guys cant fix this till you patch again, this is amateur hour Bioware. L2program ffs.

People unintentionally exploiting (i.e. accidentally selling one or some such thing) is going to cause a much bigger headache than just fixing the problem.

And how am i to believe you even have systems in place to know who is and who isn't exploiting if you can't even fix the exploit in an efficient manner and you literally have to tell the community "hey don't do this, we F(*ed up but you gotta pay for it"

The rest of you thanking bioware for being open need to be more critical of how this is a small example of a much bigger problem with this dev team. Don't cut them slack, make them work for their paycheck like the rest of us.

Thank you. We aren't talking about people "hacking" the game. Bioware, if you don't want people to play the game in a certain way, fix the game where they can't do it! This is your world, you set the rules and laws of physics, don't leave a door open then tell people not to walk through it. Close the blasted door! You shouldn't hold people responsible for using something that you put in the game game - intentionally or not.

Claiming ignorance is no excuse. If you bought a few and sold them back, like a couple of stacks, or if you bought them and sold them on the GTN for an outrageous profit, well that's just buyer beware imo. But I believe what they are talking about is like buying a thousand of them for 1 credit= 1000 credits, and selling them back to the vendor for 100 credits a piece =100,000 credits or even worse. That's the exploit. I am sure they will be able to tell the difference.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.