Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Temple Chair (Basic) Exploit

EricMusco

Erm, what if i just buy it and use it in my stronghold, if you just say nothing will happen i will just buy 5 of that :D

I actually did that.. I bought 4 chairs for my SH cause mine is kinda empty and lackluster. Soooo is buying a 1 credit chair the exploit or is it the buying the 99x stacks and selling them back the exploit?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Someone added an item to vendor. Quickly, someone remove it."

"... for 1 credit" part was intended. The other part wasn't.

I see the concept of QA eludes you.

The point of QA is to catch the unintended bit. This was easily identifiable by a basic QA process before being pushed to live.

I actually did that.. I bought 4 chairs for my SH cause mine is kinda empty and lackluster. Soooo is buying a 1 credit chair the exploit or is it the buying the 99x stacks and selling them back the exploit?

What do you think? You can have a max of 50 "unlocked" in your decoration "bank."

I see the concept of QA eludes you.

The point of QA is to catch the unintended bit. This was easily identifiable by a basic QA process before being pushed to live.

You can cry about the cow escaping from the barn, but that won't bring the cow back.

Edited by branmakmuffin

You can cry about the cow escaping from the barn, but that won't bring the cow back.

You can whine about people looking for some professionalism from a professional game developer, but that doesn't mean it will stop.

Honestly, this was a very easy thing to catch and barring that, to hot-fix quickly. These guys did neither.

Edited by WBScrog

its the selling it back for more thats the exploit the 1 credit price tag was on purpose so i imagine your fine to buy a full stack of 50 chairs.

You can whine about people looking for some professionalism from a professional game developer, but that doesn't mean it will stop.

Honestly, this was a very easy thing to catch and barring that, to hot-fix quickly. These guys did neither.

The update was released with the exploit in place, they told people not to do it. You can keep complaining about it if it helps you rationalize using the exploit. But it won't make a difference if/when they decide to dish out sanctions.

How in f***'s name have the servers not been taken down to address this yet?

This is a critical vulnerability with huge ramifications to the economy, and you guys are basically saying "Eh, we'll sort it out later."

People are openly bragging about creating new accounts just to f*** with the economy by buying s*** off the GTN with free money and destroying it or relisting it for 1 credit. This will create massive scarcity, driving prices way up.

Then, once that free money changes hands, are you going to take it from the people who sold on GTN? Is it their fault that their product was bought by an exploiter?

This is legitimately insane that the servers haven't been taken down to fix this.

Is there some aspect of it that would have made you think that buying something for $1 and selling it back for $100 was somehow legitimate and intended?

Yes this happens in real life all the time , All I'm going to say is Pokémon cards . those cost a few dollars and some cards sold for 100's . Heard one went higher.

but, really I saw this in SWG in the early days of all the bugs . a vendor in theed sold a gun for a few credits and could be sold to the junk dealer for a few hundred . took them along time to fix it,but the ones who knew about it and was using it didn't post about it . like to today ,everyone wants their glory so they post and make videos about it .

but that was SWG and who didn't exploit in that game :D points to all the early jedis stacking pearls in their sabers at zone lines

What amazes me is right now the vendor is swamped by people - knee deep in people.

I'm assuming with only one reason.

Either people are just stupid or they feel they won't actually be one of the people banned. With the usual "2 weeks ban" I guess others see it as a risk worth taking.

Get caught they have a two week holiday, don't get caught and they have millions.

Do not understand why the servers haven't come down yet.

We will be addressing this issue as soon as possible. Once fixed, we will investigate and then take appropriate action for use of this exploit.

Yeah yeah... ASAP! Still not fixed. How hard is to remove this item and reboot servers? A very hard must be! :rak_04:

Edited by Glower

Then, once that free money changes hands, are you going to take it from the people who sold on GTN? Is it their fault that their product was bought by an exploiter?

The GTN buyer is not the expoloiter, unless they bought it for 1 cred off the GTN (as you said) then sold it back to the vendor for 100 creds. But BWEA knows who bought them from the vendor for 1 cred originally. Buying them for 1 cred and putting them on the GTN should be considered part of the "exploit" and anyone who did that should also be held accountable. There's no legit reason to buy more than 100 of them (50 for your personal decoration "bank" and 50 to donate to your guild). IMO, anyone who buys more than 100 is asking for it. I bought my 50, "unlocked" them and then went about my business.

Edited by branmakmuffin

The GTN buyer is not the expoloiter, unless they bought it for 1 cred off the GTN (as you said) then sold it back to the vendor for 100 creds. But BWEA knows who bought them from the vendor for 1 cred originally. Buying them for 1 cred and putting them on the GTN should be considered part of the "exploit" and anyone who did that should also be held accountable. There's no legit reason to buy more than 100 of them (50 for your personal decoration "bank" and 50 to donate to your guild). IMO, anyone who buys more than 100 is asking for it. I bought my 50, "unlocked" them and then went about my business.

Perhaps I was not clear:

1) Make metric tons of free credits of this exploit

2) Buy things on the GTN that are expensive

3) Destroy them or relist them for 1 credit, crashing that economy or creating a huge false scarcity

You have now created massive inflation. This would be even more devastating (though short term) if you bought up all crafted gear items, augment kits, etc.

This could happen, so the servers need to come down ASAP

Edited by Death_By_Smiley

How in f***'s name have the servers not been taken down to address this yet?

This is a critical vulnerability with huge ramifications to the economy, and you guys are basically saying "Eh, we'll sort it out later."

People are openly bragging about creating new accounts just to f*** with the economy by buying s*** off the GTN with free money and destroying it or relisting it for 1 credit. This will create massive scarcity, driving prices way up.

This is legitimately insane that the servers haven't been taken down to fix this.

Not to mention all the people colluding to do just what you outlined, but instead of listing it for some low amount for anyone to buy, are working together to buy expensive items and launder them through the GTN to their own accounts or the accounts of their friends.

They are openly stating Bioware can't or won't be able to tell the difference between someone finding a deal on the GTN versus them colluding to launder ill gotten gains through the GTN, and that to correct this issue, Bioware would have to roll back everything for everyone and / or ban everyone who bought or sold something on the GTN.

This messaging is displayed to the entire player base as a means to inform everyone that we are aware of the exploit and that participating in it will result in action.

What action? One week suspension? Fresh credits removal? meh... I really doubt that you can track and remove all these GTN resales and new items generated after exploit. :rolleyes:

Edited by Glower

Yeah yeah... ASAP! Still not fixed. How hard is to remove this item and reboot servers? A very hard must be! :rak_04:

I'm sure they want it done right. Besides, this is probably one of the easier exploits to track data for who has participated in it. Everyone that has dealt with customer service over misplacing items knows how easy it is for BW to track items, especially those being vendored.

The faster they patch this however, the easier it will be for them know exactly who did what, when and where; especially with a small time frame of the exploit being active unlike Ravagers. I think first time offenders will get a slap on the wrist, but anyone that participated in the Ravagers exploit and is doing this, that shows a pattern of behavior detrimental to honest people playing the game. I don't think they'd do lifetime bans, but if these specific users are in the minority, they should give them a stiff ban. Like someone alluded to in an another thread. BW isn't going to miss a couple subscribers that rage quit over a ban they were warned about could happen. It probably would be a better place without them.

However if a majority of the player-base is doing this, I'm not sure what they'd do.

Shame. Shame. Shame. (ding!)

Anyway, does anyone remember how many days it took the developers to patch the Ravager exploit and the Ziost one? (And are we looking at a similar figure?)

Those bugs are legitimately more difficult. The Ravagers was because of some zoning issues. The Ziost one is because of texture maps. People have always found clever ways to sneak around the map, and if Bioware shut a door, people threw rocks through the window.

This is, by comparison, stupid easy. Find the resale value in the XML file of vendor items. Change the resale value to 0, and change the flag so it can't be resold. Problem solved.

As always with exploits, there will be a amount of players which did get huge profit out of it. And the incoming 2 week ban (joke) won't help for the future.

Everyone who did use this needs a permanent ban and even then there is still a huge amount of cheated money left in the game economy. I won't even start to talk about the asian farmers massiv abusing this right now...

Question is, why let the game run like this ? An immediate shut down is in place.

Edited by Neglience

"Hey guys, just letting you know the local branch of Chase Bank has left its doors unlocked and its vault open tonight. We didn't mean to do this, and it is illegal to steal from a bank. We have cameras up, so you can see who steals, so hopefully no one wears a disguise. We'll close the bank vault eventually, so don't worry. Sure, all this fraudulently acquired money flooding the community could have dire consequences, but we're sure it will work itself out."

Take the damn servers down and fix it now.

Edited by Death_By_Smiley

Shame. Shame. Shame. (ding!)

Anyway, does anyone remember how many days it took the developers to patch the Ravager exploit and the Ziost one? (And are we looking at a similar figure?)

Ravagers took over a month to acknowledge, another week or two to remove, and several more before they issued mostly 24-78 suspensions (and no removal of gear).

Ziost I'm not sure they did anything to remove the exploit as the boss players were accessing opened in less than a week, and the suspensions were handed out rather quickly.

Neither one of those exploits though had the potential to wreck the economy, nor so stupid easy to fix as changing the resell value / flag for the chair.

Even if players sold everything to a vendor they received from Ravagers, it works out to probably less than 100K extra credits once per week, as opposed to unlimited credits which can be gained by this exploit.

Edited by DawnAskham

I have sold 10 stacks of them for 30k on the GTN.

Am I gonna get banned because this is stupid as hell.

I agree. The greedyness of people knows no bound and is stupid as hell. :p

Without joking, not sure if the GTN selling is allowed or not. I guess its not. Else all those people who are selling vanadium flux for 1k-1.2k will get banned too (since you can buy it for 800 at a vendor). Different numbers but very much the same idea.

Reselling something to a vendor that you bought from an other vendor is just plain stupid to do. Thats entirely on you to take the risk. But if you only sold it via the GTN I guess you would be safe.

Ziost I'm not sure they did anything to remove the exploit as the boss players were accessing opened in less than a week, and the suspensions were handed out rather quickly.

They didn't do anything to fix the exploit because it problem fixed itself in less than a week.

So why do you allow players to sell this item on the GTN? We shouldn't exploit the vendor but you encourage players to exploit one another?

If people are ignorant enough to buy them off gtn so be it. Vendor's are not people thus selling the item at 99% profit back to the game, to an NPC who can't say "no I don't want to pay you 100 times what i sold it to you at" is EXPLOITING THE GAME. I think anyone who used this exploit to get, oh A RANCOR, should get banned and yes a fellow guildie was telling us he made 8 mil doing it, ban him. It's common sense that this is a mistake and if you lack common sense well the word exploit was floating around gen chat enough that you have to have the same IQ as an ant to think this is ok, or you're blatantly doing something with the notion that you're above everyone else who works for their creds. GET BANNED

Edited by Matt_Comtois

Once again the GM's need to do there homework. I agree this is an economic problem and that I myself have no desire to participate in it. But where is the real issue?

1.) EA/Bioware this is your fault, you didn't test well enough. Does this happen of course, do we understand of course we do. But silly threats to your contributions and paying customers! ***, if a place of business makes the mistake they really can't blame the customer or charge them! You are here because we are here, don't threaten us for your mistakes please.

2.) two weeks ban? So your plan is for those in trouble to play ArchAge while waiting till the ban is lifted? What happens if they don't come back? And again they exploited something you made the mistake on. So be the grown-ups we know you all are and simply say please don't and we intend on retaking the funds back (All of it!). This puts the honest people in a place where if they do try to take advantage of YOUR mistake they know it could be a hassle and they will have to choice to take that on.

3.) I would hope you guys finally understand the term (MMO)! What this means is this is a living and growing world that you not just created but hold some responsibility for. I think the players should direct this world but it is all the influence and lore that you guys have to here. As things change I would recommend being flexible and play with it as in putting a bounty on players heads or simply being creative. Threatening your players with action that as previously stated is empty makes you look petty and childish. It might surprise you that your player base I bet is old enough to make our own choices. weather they be for the light or dark side of things ;).

I am still waiting for neutral relics since I can't seem to be to evil or all good no matter which character I play lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.