Temple Chair (Basic) Exploit

EricMusco

Considering that the Devs have specifically said not to attempt an exploit in order to report it, you have violated Terms of Service.

When Milas attempted the Ravagers exploit, with a video showing him deleting everything that he got from it, they still gave him the normal suspension.

So in short, you exploited, now you will get your suspension. Welcome to BW nice new "Zero Tolerance" policy. Which honestly I think is the fairest and best system that they can put in place to stop exploitation. While some "innocents" will get caught up initially and have some unpleasant punishments it will make everyone more mindful gamers. Further, if they only punished "extreme" cases that becomes incredibly arbitrary, and encourages "small time" exploitation wherein cheaters will try to skate the line.

When Increase Mather awoke to the horrors of the Salem Witch Trials he wrote in his work Cases of Conscience Regarding Evil Spirits ""It were better that Ten Suspected Witches should escape, than that one Innocent Person should be Condemned." which would later be slightly altered by Sir William Blackstone to say, "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer", and became the basis of British and US criminal law. BW's current policy seems to be an inverse. Better that 10 innocents should be punished than allow one exploiter to escape. Like it or not that is their current "Zero Tolerance" policy. So if you have waved the ban them banner in the past, and got caught up in this exploit. Please enjoy your suspension and contemplate on your days away from the game that the Devs have given you exactly what you asked for.

Even with as much as I've criticized Bioware in the past, I have trouble believing that they'd be so small, so petty, so officious, as to suspend someone over a single broken transaction worth 99 credits.

100s? 1000s? More? Sure, they'd be justified. But one? Before the notice went up?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

False. There has been an increase in number of people using the speed hack program, just not everyone uses it at 100 % speed. Why is that? Because BW doesn't do anything about people ACTUALLY cheating in game. In turn you will eventually see it spill over to pve, it is just a matter of time. The speed hack is also causing people to quit the game because they see that BW doesn't care enough to ban speed hackers, but they ban the people reporting them. That is a bit more damaging than a damned chair glitch.

And yet one my server, there were not crowds of people mobbing the vendor... so either no one cares about credits on my server, or just putting up the warning stopped it on at least that one server.

Actually a having a decent QA process would've easily picked up this issue. Its just slack testing that lets through something like this bug.

Decent QA is even over-shooting a bit. Even lazy QA would check an item being added to the game. They can't even manage that apparently.

Even with as much as I've criticized Bioware in the past, I have trouble believing that they'd be so small, so petty, so officious, as to suspend someone over a single broken transaction worth 99 credits.

100s? 1000s? More? Sure, they'd be justified. But one? Before the notice went up?

I agree that it would be incredibly heavy handed, but it appears they did something very similar regarding people teleported into A post and leaving moderately (see this thread).

But I find it far more worrying, that the exploit still isn't fixed....

Decent QA is even over-shooting a bit. Even lazy QA would check an item being added to the game. They can't even manage that apparently.

"Someone added an item to vendor. Quickly, someone remove it."

"... for 1 credit" part was intended. The other part wasn't.

Now I am worried about listing stuff on gtn because overnight i made 10 mil for my sales. I dont want my creds removed just because some cheater buys expensive items from me.

Just 10 mil? I wouldn't worry about that, especially since these were Cartel Market(right?) items that were probably bought up by different people. I mean, if you posted seven 10.000.000 pieces of junk and the same person bought them - that has money laundering written all over it.

What they CAN do, though, is annul all the purchases and give you your items back. That'd be... bad, right?

Edited by Kulyok

Now I am worried about listing stuff on gtn because overnight i made 10 mil for my sales. I dont want my creds removed just because some cheater buys expensive items from me.

They're not going to take credits or items away from honest players. Which is why there is an outcry to fix this fast.

Let me state this, in case it isn't clear from my previous posts, the exploiters are 100% to blame for their own behavior.

HOWEVER, BW shares equal blame for how this is going to negatively affect the multitude of players that did not exploit. By not fixing this, even if they have to pull the servers back down, they are allowing the exploiters to harm honest players by damaging the economy and sending the GTN on a wild ride both with inflation and deflation.

To give an analogy, someone calls the authorities tto alert them to a bank robbery in progress. They reply "No worries. There are cameras. We will know who the perpetrators are and deal with them when we get around to it." As a result they role right along robbing bank after bank spending the cash or just burning it for fun, until somewhere in the indefinite future the authorities finally show up and arrest them.

Yes the bank robbers are at fault for their own behavior. However, the authorities share the blame for the damage done the innocent.

BW please i'like an appreciation gift of 1000cc for us honorable players who stayed away from this shaming and awfully-coded crap you produced. We are working hard to earn credits and you screwed up the game's economy. Please BW fix this asap and punish exploit users HARD. Just resubbed couple of days ago because the direction the game is taking pleases me,and i come in only to see this exploit, still unresolved and all cheaters etc getting rich. Wth is this man...

Best thing here: You can see the Goldsellers all assembled in one place....

The issue for me is one raised by many:

If they use the illegal credits to purchase legitimate items off GTN, will the sellers there see their credits vanish?

They did nothing wrong, nor have they had any intention of it, so they ought not to get any fallout from this exploit.

But the morons who are using the exploit? - Lifetime ban the lot of them. They deserve nothing less.

And once again, Bioware shows their ineptitude at being unable to correct a simple mistake in a timely manner.

There is no reason whatsoever that this exploit should sitll be in the game 24 hours after it was noticed and publicized by Bioware themselves.

I assume we're allowed to buy the chairs for the time being as long as we don't sell them back for the exploit? My guild stronghold could use a lot more decorations and this would be a good way to get some cheap ones. In addition I was wondering what was up with The Bastion (US) server's announcements yesterday? There were around 10 and all of them had differant times, usually contradicting eachother.

For the time being? Just buy 50, "unlock" them and call it a day. If you have a guild SH, but 50 more then donate them to the guild's decoration "bank." It''s not complicated, unless you're trying to think up some way to game the system.

Some (like myself), will have exploitet out of curiosity, to see if there really was an exploit (before I saw a warning or this thread).

And what is your justification for that? Do you think that should make you immune to sanctions? Exploiting is exploiting. You even admit you knew it was an exploit when you did it. As for people "accidentally" doing it, maybe it's possible someone bought a stack of 99 (since you can), discovered after using the first 50 that that was the max, then sold the excess 49 back. Other than that, claims of "accident" don't hold any water: "Oh, I 'accidentally' bought 10,000 because I thought I could unlock 10,000 for my SH and then I had to sell them back after the first 50."

So if it were my policy and it were easily discoverable, anyone who sold more than 49 back to the vendor would get a spanking (and not the good kind).

Hey folks,

In today's patch, we placed Temple Chair (Basic) onto the Esstran Exports vendor for one credit. After bringing the servers live today we noticed that currently, you can sell the Chair back to the vendor for 100 credits. Obviously, this is not intended. As stated before, when these issues arise we want to make sure we get out in front of it as quickly as possible and are open with you about what is being done.

For the time being, please do not buy and sell the Temple Chair (Basic) in this manner. This behavior is considered an exploit. We will be addressing this issue as soon as possible. Once fixed, we will investigate and then take appropriate action for use of this exploit.

Thanks everyone. I will pass on update as I have them.

-eric

Erm, what if i just buy it and use it in my stronghold, if you just say nothing will happen i will just buy 5 of that :D

Lol this thread is hilarious ... everyone thought "yay free credits" and try defend your actions with what Bioware DOESN'T punish? Or that it's Bioware's fault for putting it there?

Are you people actually for f''ing real?

Some of them are, I'm sure. Others are feebly flailing away at "spin control." Pretty sure their lame rationalizations are not going to influence any decisions regarding sanctions..

I suppose Bioware figured there was enough knowledge about the exploit to warrant a mass warning to those who were thinking to do it.

I'm curious to see how this might affect the market. However I also think a lot less people are using it then people think. They are already banned a bunch of people from Ravagers, and most of those were first time warnings. I can only imagine the punishment for this transgression especially after they told people specifically not to do it. How creative will BW get?