Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Temple Chair (Basic) Exploit

EricMusco

I'm in the same boat as some other people, I did it but didn't find out that there would be consequences until later. I only did about 1-2 mill. I apologize for using this exploit and hope that you can fix it soon.

"I apologize for using an exploit because I did not realize there would be consequences."

Is this the type of people we have to deal with in this day and age? Ignorance is never bliss. Say you never payed attention to the law, and then robbed a bank. Saying "I'm sorry, I didn't know I would go to jail." wouldn't fix it. There are some harmless glitches of course, like how you used to be able to get to the bottom of the imperial fleet. Doing that and then saying I'm sorry I didn't know may have been acceptable, because it affects no one and nothing. But buying an item then using it to get free money, how can you look at that and believe it may be ok?

And to the person who was talking about using Microsoft Azure, there's still the fact they could use the gtn, put a worthless item up for 200k, and transfer money like that 200k at a time. The ways you could use the glitch is extensive >.>

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I apologize for using an exploit because I did not realize there would be consequences."

Is this the type of people we have to deal with in this day and age? Ignorance is never bliss. Say you never payed attention to the law, and then robbed a bank. Saying "I'm sorry, I didn't know I would go to jail." wouldn't fix it. There are some harmless glitches of course, like how you used to be able to get to the bottom of the imperial fleet. Doing that and then saying I'm sorry I didn't know may have been acceptable, because it affects no one and nothing. But buying an item then using it to get free money, how can you look at that and believe it may be ok?

And to the person who was talking about using Microsoft Azure, there's still the fact they could use the gtn, put a worthless item up for 200k, and transfer money like that 200k at a time. The ways you could use the glitch is extensive >.>

Yeah that was exactly my point with the Azure thing. This is crazy how big a deal this is.

And just the fact that Bioware is not fixing it first, then explaining that it was an exploit makes me even more concerned. As far as I've seen, they very rarely tell the public about an exploit before its fixed.

This makes it worse because now all kinds of players will exploit it that may not have known about it.

I personally bought 50 for my stronghold, that's it, but I wouldn't have even known this existed had they not put a message talking about it as soon as I open my launcher. I am very curious why they would do this, as who all would buy a cheap looking chair just to sell it back?

I kinda goofed. I bought one, then went to unlock it for my character... you know, using the right click... with the vendor still open...:(

Of course, not seeing the unlock, I immediately knew what happened, and facepalmed.

You're nuts. They will never undo everything that happened to a past backup. Even if they could.

Imagine the outrage of players who were just leveling toons and log on after a reset to see that all their work on the game they pay a monthly subscription to has been undone... that's never going to happen.

For the record I leveled a bounty hunter to the end of chapter 2 today. If it means I have to go back to balmora to fix the game so be it.

If the alternative is destroy the game's economy and offend paying, rule abiding players they would have to consider a roll back. Yes you may upset a few players but it will be less damaging than letting people keep their ill gotten riches.

For the record I leveled a bounty hunter to the end of chapter 2 today. If it means I have to go back to balmora to fix the game so be it.

If the alternative is destroy the game's economy and offend paying, rule abiding players they would have to consider a roll back. Yes you may upset a few players but it will be less damaging than letting people keep their ill gotten riches.

You may feel that way, and frankly, so do I, but there is more to it than that. Player retention is a huge metric that bioware measures to track business strategies, and your player retention will go down the drain if you pull a stunt like that.

I'm not offended.

I would be offended if I lost a night's worth of time put into characters.

You may feel that way, and frankly, so do I, but there is more to it than that. Player retention is a huge metric that bioware measures to track business strategies, and your player retention will go down the drain if you pull a stunt like that.

I agree. Now if it was only leveling I agree they may roll back, then pull a stunt like 12x for all members and some bonus for subscribers to make up for it. However this isn't the only issue. There's new players that have joined which would litteraly lose everything, on swtor for all the servers that number in one day would likely be thousands of players. Then there's the cartel coin issue, any coins used for anything during this period would have been lose if they were received during this period. They could fix that as they keep logs of coins, but still another issue. Then there's crafting, items received from crafting. And then there's stuff like the nar shadaa event or opening up packs. Say someone gets a rancor from either, I'd say there's a sufficient number that something like that happens to every day. They'd lose it with no hope of refund, and a big chance to never earn it back.

I agree. Now if it was only leveling I agree they may roll back, then pull a stunt like 12x for all members and some bonus for subscribers to make up for it. However this isn't the only issue. There's new players that have joined which would litteraly lose everything, on swtor for all the servers that number in one day would likely be thousands of players. Then there's the cartel coin issue, any coins used for anything during this period would have been lose if they were received during this period. They could fix that as they keep logs of coins, but still another issue. Then there's crafting, items received from crafting. And then there's stuff like the nar shadaa event or opening up packs. Say someone gets a rancor from either, I'd say there's a sufficient number that something like that happens to every day. They'd lose it with no hope of refund, and a big chance to never earn it back.

So many good reasons here to show that rolling back just isn't an option. Lets just hope that bioware can fix this mess. I seriously doubt they have what they need to do so though.

You can only have 50 chairs. It says so right in the tool tip. Your story does not wash.

The point of 99 was 50 for me and 50 for the guild ship for our "PvP dueling area." Thought it would be awfully cool to have chairs arranged around the room. Why didn't I just buy two stacks of 50 and accidentally sell those back? Who knows. But I guess buying decorations for your guildship doesn't wash either? Now does it?

This is a collosal screw up...

Lets say that a player creates a free to play account, and runs the game off of a cloud hosted virtual machine on a free trial of Microsoft Azure and then just creates a new toon, and exploits this until they have billions of credits, then goes and buys up all kinds of stuff on the gtn...

How the hell are you going to fix that? Sure you could ban the account exploiting, but they hosted the game from a free trial of a virtual machine in the cloud with a dynamic ip address and if you ban their account, oh well, they made it just to exploit this and troll the games economy.

Will you then undo all the transactions done with the exploited credits and refund the items back to the sellers that the exploited credits paid for?

If you cannot send out an event to invalidate the item available to sell and exploit, how the heck can we be confident that you have systems in place to track more than the basic threshold of buyback records on item sales?

I'm really concerned that this is going to have some HUGE consequences.

It is also very concerning that when an exploit USUALLY is found, Bioware will wait until they fix it before notifying of the exploit, but this time it seems like they are saying,

"don't do this! or we'll get ya!"

I'm blown away.

Yeah, it would be so easy to screw up a server's economy this way... Just make a billion credits at the vendor and buy everything off of the GTN.

Even if they banned the account doing this, the server's economy would forever be impacted. Not only would tons of items be destroyed (rare CM armors, pets, mounts) but the sellers would be billions of credits richer, increasing the inflation tenfold and making it harder for new and casual players to get into the game. And I don't see how they could fix the damage short of a rollback.

Hope they will fix this bug tomorrow or the day after before anyone tries anything stupid.

Edited by Jerba

[sarcasm]Exactly. It's not like this happened right after a major server patch that they have backups of just prior to this happening. :rolleyes:[/sarcasm]

Just figure that BW is collecting data all day today and will roll back the server to the server re-launch and send out levels of ban based on severity of exploit.

I hope they don't do general roll backs. I think I did some dailies and might have sold some crap I had from killing npcs. Hopefully they can narrow it down to those who are exploiting and not just get lazy and roll the server back. Server rolls are NEVER EVER a good idea. I left a game because they did that for people buying things from a vendor they shouldn't have.

Hey folks,

In today's patch, we placed Temple Chair (Basic) onto the Esstran Exports vendor for one credit. After bringing the servers live today we noticed that currently, you can sell the Chair back to the vendor for 100 credits. Obviously, this is not intended. As stated before, when these issues arise we want to make sure we get out in front of it as quickly as possible and are open with you about what is being done.

For the time being, please do not buy and sell the Temple Chair (Basic) in this manner. This behavior is considered an exploit. We will be addressing this issue as soon as possible. Once fixed, we will investigate and then take appropriate action for use of this exploit.

Thanks everyone. I will pass on update as I have them.

-eric

Eric what if I bought these 10 of them and used them before i just now say the message does that mean i would be banned? Can I get a response on this cause I'd hate to be banned for something like this like the republic jersey for 10 credits at the veder,

Eric what if I bought these 10 of them and used them before i just now say the message does that mean i would be banned? Can I get a response on this cause I'd hate to be banned for something like this like the republic jersey for 10 credits at the veder,

God People. it isn't an exploit if you just buy them and use them the exploit is buying them then reselling them to the vendor.

I think this Reddit thread explains it all:

I can totally understand that the server engineers wanted to take a nap after a 14-hour maintenance but leaving work with such a major gold duping exploit present is just suicidal. The devs can't honestly expect to be able to completely undo this bug a few days later if there are some players determined to hide their tracks.

Edited by Jerba

Hey Eric, Quick question. I know I probably will sound really stupid for asking, but just want to be clear. Right now is it OK to buy the chairs at all? As long as you do not sell them back and use them as decor?

Just want to make sure.

Hey Eric, Quick question. I know I probably will sound really stupid for asking, but just want to be clear. Right now is it OK to buy the chairs at all? As long as you do not sell them back and use them as decor?

Just want to make sure.

Yes, it is okay to buy the decoration for personal use as long as you don't sell it back to the vendor: https://twitter.com/musco/status/613426711145811968,

Just want to make sure.

It's been stated and linked two four times in this very thread: Personal use is okay. Buying and selling en masse for a metric crapton of credits is not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.