Can we take off the hype goggles for a moment?

Jduensing

Listen guys, you can bet your lightsaber I'm as stoked as the rest of you. This looks like the breath of fresh air this game so sorely needed. It was high time we had an expansion that wasn't just "mediocre story+level increase". And don't get me wrong, all props to Bioware/EA for actually giving this game another chance. But can we talk about the list of characters? Their descriptions have got to be the most mary sueish things I've read in a very long time. When I read the blurb for the first time, it had been copy/pasted, and my first thought was "nice try bub, but no self respecting video game company would be that cliche." Guys this is tumblr fanfiction level stuff. I'm not posting the specific descriptions because I like having posting privileges, but I think I can sum up my point nicely by saying that there is literally a character with the title "the dark prince" and an equally pseudo-edgy quote to boot. Now, with the exception of the new character list, I love the direction the game is taking. I just pray to all that is holy that those character blurbs were a rough draft, because right now I am legitimately worried you hired Stephanie Meyer as your lead writer.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen guys, you can bet your lightsaber I'm as stoked as the rest of you. This looks like the breath of fresh air this game so sorely needed. It was high time we had an expansion that wasn't just "mediocre story+level increase". And don't get me wrong, all props to Bioware/EA for actually giving this game another chance. But can we talk about the list of characters? Their descriptions have got to be the most mary sueish things I've read in a very long time. When I read the blurb for the first time, it had been copy/pasted, and my first thought was "nice try bub, but no self respecting video game company would be that cliche." Guys this is tumblr fanfiction level stuff. I'm not posting the specific descriptions because I like having posting privileges, but I think I can sum up my point nicely by saying that there is literally a character with the title "the dark prince" and an equally pseudo-edgy quote to boot. Now, with the exception of the new character list, I love the direction the game is taking. I just pray to all that is holy that those character blurbs were a rough draft, because right now I am legitimately worried you hired Stephanie Meyer as your lead writer.

Are you telling me Star Wars hasn't been riddled with cliches forever?

Hell, KotOR is quite possibly one of the most cliche storylines to date. Star Wars itself is just a simple copy/paste of the Hero's Journey, which has been around since Homer.

You have no idea how edgy, bad, or cliche the coming content may be - what you do know is that many characters have generic lines, which has been the way in... well, pretty much every piece of fiction to date.

Are you telling me Star Wars hasn't been riddled with cliches forever?

Hell, KotOR is quite possibly one of the most cliche storylines to date. Star Wars itself is just a simple copy/paste of the Hero's Journey, which has been around since Homer.

You have no idea how edgy, bad, or cliche the coming content may be - what you do know is that many characters have generic lines, which has been the way in... well, pretty much every piece of fiction to date.

That I'll give you. This just seemed...especially cringey. Even if the characters turn out far better than the fallen empire page implies, what we have now inspires images of the power rangers.

That I'll give you. This just seemed...especially cringey. Even if the characters turn out far better than the fallen empire page implies, what we have now inspires images of the power rangers.

"He will join us, or die."

"You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me."

"You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy. "

"You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant."

"If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed!"

Do these quotes sound any less cheesy/power ranger-esque?

maybe, but you can't deny the HK-55 one is as amusing as all HK quotes (with a odd "defensive" twist too)

It's a little too early to really speculate about the characters though just on marketing blurbs.

"He will join us, or die."

"You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me."

"You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy. "

"You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant."

"If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed!"

Do these quotes sound any less cheesy/power ranger-esque?

I just feel like when it's Bioware, we shouldn't hold the to the standard we hold Lucas.

To be fair, we know Ep VII is a big deal, but that doesn't mean all the SW fans suddenl want to play an MMO. On the other hand it will likely increase interest so I do expect some interest for SWTOR as a consequence. So I think EA probably felt this momentum made it a good time to do something like this but at the same time they have to balance the expectations of what's realistic and how much that's worth investing into.

Still, from what we know, the game is in a good shape and a couple of servers aside more people are playing the game so that's a good sign. I will say though that I wasn't sure if they were going to pick this up or write this game off a year ago, so I am glad that they chose to go this way.

When I look at this upcoming expansion (especially after seeing the leaked details) and the improved communication about class changes (in spite of the mara/sent debacle), I feel it's fair to say BW has really put in an effort and for me that's a pleasant development.

Bioware's Star Wars is way less Mary Sue, black-and-white stuff than Lucas'...

True. I wonder how black and white Ep VII will be though...Lucas is still part of the team but I think SW is going to grow up at least a little.