EA E3 press release is talking about an expansion called Knights of the Fallen Empire

znihilist

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would advise many of you that are referring to "The Old Republic" in this context to read up on how the term "Fallen Empire" refers to the upcoming "Episode 7" potential lore.

In short, this may not be old republic anymore at all, but may be a leap forward to coincide with the new series of movies and the more modern star wars time-frame.

Let be honest, the old republic needs to run its course at some point, with the new films, this is the perfeect time to make that change.

i would advise many of you that are referring to "The Old Republic" in this context to read up on how the term "Fallen Empire" refers to the upcoming "Episode 7" potential lore.

In short, this may not be old republic anymore at all, but may be a leap forward to coincide with the new series of movies and the more modern star wars time-frame.

Let be honest, the old republic needs to run its course at some point, with the new films, this is the perfeect time to make that change.

this is almost as bad as fido

Don't lie...it's "The largest story-driven expansion" - not largest expansion.

uh, the two largest expansions to date are RotHC and SoR, both of which were story driven, so stating that it is the largest expansion and the largest story driven expansion are one and the same.

A press release filled with a few marketing words isn't content, so I will wait to see actual details and / or actual game play before getting excited.

Just FYI... "Expansion" in EA-speak has included releases such as GSF and GSH, 'worlds to explore' include very small instanced maps and planets like Ziost, story-driven does not mean fully fleshed specific individual class stories, and companions to recruit could mean anything from new CM companions like Treek to interesting mission companions like HK to simply being able to have NPCs like Lana / Tharan around on a mission.

Not to mention nothing so far about if this will be a paid expansion or not, and if so, how much, or when it will be released, or what all will be included (increased level cap, new abilities, new Operations, new Flashpoints, new Warzones, new GSF maps, new features like maybe better social tools, anything to help server populations / queue times, etc.).

I'd love to see a really large (larger than anything we've seen before) expansion with all new planets, new Operations, new Warzones, new companions, new social / server populations solutions, all wrapped in individual class stories and all thoroughly tested on the PTR before launch and all coming soon.

But I'm just not willing to get excited over a spin filled press release.

Edited by DawnAskham

I suspect it will be more of us interacting with the movie destinations, but in our time period, and with some of the stories tying into the the new movies.

For example: We have a mission on (insert planet) to banish a evil force ghost to a holocron. We win and then hide the holocron in some ancient cave never for it to be seen again. Now fast forward to the movies. Jojo the padawan is being chased on (insert planet) by imperials/thugs/dreams and stumbles across this cave. He feels a presence and boom finds the holocron.

I suspect it will be more of us interacting with the movie destinations, but in our time period, and with some of the stories tying into the the new movies.

For example: We have a mission on (insert planet) to banish a evil force ghost to a holocron. We win and then hide the holocron in some ancient cave never for it to be seen again. Now fast forward to the movies. Jojo the padawan is being chased on (insert planet) by imperials/thugs/dreams and stumbles across this cave. He feels a presence and boom finds the holocron.

Pretty much. If there is a movie tie-in it'll be something like that.

well there you go guys. those of you that wanted a tease before the tease on 6/15... well im willing to bet that this is all the information they were willing to release at this time. Good job. you spoiled it for everyone. now everyone is going to be all up in arms when BW repeats word for words exactly what was on that press release.

besides that AWESOME NEWS! to be skeptical about

Even if there's no movie tie-in, the title makes sense in the context of Old Republic title/term

well there you go guys. those of you that wanted a tease before the tease on 6/15... well im willing to bet that this is all the information they were willing to release at this time. Good job. you spoiled it for everyone. now everyone is going to be all up in arms when BW repeats word for words exactly what was on that press release.

besides that AWESOME NEWS! to be skeptical about

What are u talking about, it will br playable on the show floor along with conference showcase. This is not all lol Edited by Pietrastor

Pretty much. If there is a movie tie-in it'll be something like that.

i know a lot of people are tied to "the old republic" lore and such but lets be real, the movies will generate interest, and a lot of people that have no ties to the old republic will be looking for that content from the movies or something they can understand if they have never heard of or care about Revan for example.

Like it or not they would be very stupid to not take advantage of the hype machine that will accompany those films. and that hype can only help grow the game.

I may be wrong.. i dont have any insidder info or anything like that, its just a theory ive had for some time now since the announced the new films

Edited by Floplag

Well ****, everyone's dead. My mains are dead. My alts are dead. My companions are dead.

Seriously, you're expecting SWTOR to just 3700 years+ into the future?

This is called The Old Republic. The Old Republic (according to the more that this game uses) remains in power during on/off wars against the Empire unil approximately 1030 Years Before the Battle of Yavin IV (A New Hope). Then it becomes The Republic that we see in the prequels.

I'm sorry, we, our characters, are not that immortal. Maybe Darth Nox/Imperius is, but certainly not the Hero to Tython, The Grand Champion of the Great Hunt, Voidhound/Whatever else the Smuggler is called, Cipher Nine, Wrath, Barsen'thor, Havoc Squad Major.

Not gonna happen.

Nah, I'm thinking Rakata issues again. Because we had Revan, and we visited Rakata Prime, and that fourth Star Forge.

Well ****, everyone's dead. My mains are dead. My alts are dead. My companions are dead.

This is called The Old Republic. The Old Republic (according to the more that this game uses) remains in power during on/off wars against the Empire unil approximately 1030 Years Before the Battle of Yavin IV (A New Hope). Then it becomes The Republic that we see in the prequels.

I'm sorry, we, our characters, are not that immortal. Maybe Darth Nox/Imperius is, but certainly not the Hero to Tython, The Grand Champion of the Great Hunt, Voidhound/Whatever else the Smuggler is called, Cipher Nine, Wrath, Barsen'thor, Havoc Squad Major.

Not gonna happen.

Nah, I'm thinking Rakata issues again. Because we had Revan, and we visited Rakata Prime, and that fourth Star Forge.

I'm sorry but this is a game, its been done many times the whole parallel universe alternate time zone thing in many other game. Heck WoW has done it like 3 timed with various expansions and they are still the standard.

Why not? is it that far fetched? maybe some giant explosion in the force.. who the hades knows... but i guarantee we wont stay in the old republic forever regardless. At some point he game must evolve... put on your business hat, can you think of a better time to do it ?

As i said i may be wrong, its pure hunch and conjecture.. but bringing reality into game lore is perhaps the worst argument you can ever do.

Perhaps the worst thing they could do is drag out the same old same old and give us more regurgitated content... WoW did that with its last XPac and lost 1/3 of its subscriber base... i guarantee you EA noted that little tidbit.

Edited by Floplag

I'm sorry but this is a game, its been done many times the whole parallel universe alternate time zone thing in many other game. Heck WoW has done it like 3 timed with various expansions and they are still the standard.

Why not? is it that far fetched? maybe some giant explosion in the force.. who the hades knows... but i guarantee we wont stay in the old republic forever regardless. At some point he game must evolve... put on your business hat, can you think of a better time to do it ?

As i said i may be wrong, its pure hunch and conjecture.. but bringing reality into game lore is perhaps the worst argument you can ever do.

Perhaps the worst thing they could do is drag out the same old same old and give us more regurgitated content... WoW did that with its last XPac and lost 1/3 of its subscriber base... i guarantee you EA noted that little tidbit.

This is SWTOR, not WoW, it would be a disaster if they tried it.

The simple way of doing it? make another, unrelated game to SWTOR, that is canon, and set in the new sequal era.

My guess is that this new expansion will be released around late October. Enough time to get a few updates in to lead into it. Building anticipation.

No way will they release it too close to the holiday season and have another Ravagers style exploit when the majority of staff are on vacation.

A press release filled with a few marketing words isn't content, so I will wait to see actual details and / or actual game play before getting excited.

Just FYI... "Expansion" in EA-speak has included releases such as GSF and GSH, 'worlds to explore' include very small instanced maps and planets like Ziost, story-driven does not mean fully fleshed specific individual class stories, and companions to recruit could mean anything from new CM companions like Treek to interesting mission companions like HK to simply being able to have NPCs like Lana / Tharan around on a mission.

Not to mention nothing so far about if this will be a paid expansion or not, and if so, how much, or when it will be released, or what all will be included (increased level cap, new abilities, new Operations, new Flashpoints, new Warzones, new GSF maps, new features like maybe better social tools, anything to help server populations / queue times, etc.).

I'd love to see a really large (larger than anything we've seen before) expansion with all new planets, new Operations, new Warzones, new companions, new social / server populations solutions, all wrapped in individual class stories and all thoroughly tested on the PTR before launch and all coming soon.

But I'm just not willing to get excited over a spin filled press release.

Co-signing What she said......

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

Not gonna happen.

Your characters may not be immortal, but all of mines are and I intend for them to live forever- or at least until the servers shut down.

I would welcome a lot of new content and storylines, even if we were to leap 4000 years into the future and become Knights of the New Republic I would find that evolution quite cool and awesome. The newness and possibilities are endless.

This game doesn't need to be limited to Linear Time or just one time period, let it transcend the 4th dimension so we can have stories and characters that are connected through the Force/Love/etc through different parts of history- multigenerational/multi-era stories and characters are possible.

No need to take things too stiff and seriously.

Edited by RoboArthurDayne

My guess is that this new expansion will be released around late October. Enough time to get a few updates in to lead into it. Building anticipation.

No way will they release it too close to the holiday season and have another Ravagers style exploit when the majority of staff are on vacation.

you give them too much credit.

they'll probably just push stuff to PTS earlier than usual.

you give them too much credit.

they'll probably just push stuff to PTS earlier than usual.

You mean "closed PTS/Beta" and then "Early Access" again, right?

And I wouldn't be surprised if it were released in December again. And then a silent month after. Which would be unfortunate.

This is SWTOR, not WoW, it would be a disaster if they tried it.

The simple way of doing it? make another, unrelated game to SWTOR, that is canon, and set in the new sequal era.

Fair enough, but you are dreaming if you think they will support 2 games.

Plus, one of the hooks to get us to stay is our investment in the game. Asking us to start over at level 1 with nothing is inviting us to look into other games.

You are thinking with your heart here and not your head.. no offense

Edited by Floplag

I would welcome a lot of new content and storylines, even if we were to leap 4000 years into the future and become Knights of the New Republic I would find that evolution quite cool and awesome. The newness and possibilities are endless.

oh man.. if the game leaped 4000 years into the future, i hope that i have some warning. Gotta get all my creds into a long term CD and get all the interest back. :cool: