New video on how far you can actually boost continually!

Drakkolich

Today someone on the forums challenged me to make a video proving you could boost from A to C with ever stopping. Accepting this challenge I made the most engine efficient build I could think of.

A Blackbolt with Booster recharge, Shield power converter, Power Dive and Regeneration thrusters, with Blizz as it's engineering crew.

The results were just well spectacular.

Check out the

and let me know what you guys think!!!

So technically one could assume that, if you can avoid getting hit, you can boost indefinitely on a scout?

Yep it really looked that way. You could even weave in power dives for more mobility while shields and engines are recharging to make it even more insane.

That was hilarious Drako and it gave me an idea how to make those 50-5 roflstomps entertaining: racing around the map! Kuat would be an ideal map for something like that thanks to all the passages and mesas to go around. I'll be trying it out soon.

Was your S2E upgraded? It looked like it was still costing 20% per use.

Also, once S2E is upgraded, if you wait 2 extra seconds after it comes off cooldown, you'll never lose shields. But your engine energy will go down more quickly. But with Booster Recharge you can make up for that.

Was your S2E upgraded? It looked like it was still costing 20% per use.

Also, once S2E is upgraded, if you wait 2 extra seconds after it comes off cooldown, you'll never lose shields. But your engine energy will go down more quickly. But with Booster Recharge you can make up for that.

Yes the whole ship was mastered.

Ya of course by the time the ability is off cooldown is the time your shields start regenerating. But doing it in spurts like that gave me just enough engine power to boost foreverz. The whole idea was to see how much engine power I could squeeze out of a ship.

two questions about the built:

isn't there also an regeneration delay for engine power?

Thus wouldn't it be better if you use speed thrusters or power thrusters also for 10% Engine Capacity in the Booster recharge.

Next have you changed the shield crew companion away from the evasion bonus?

greetings Nightmaregale

Thus wouldn't it be better if you use speed thrusters or power thrusters also for 10% Engine Capacity in the Booster recharge.

greetings Nightmaregale

What is evasion doing in this discussion?? It doesn't affect boost endurance.

And Drak.. Amazing. I never actually tested my favorite build real endurance.... But I pretty much guessed you could boost forever as long as you don't get Ion'ed.

greetings Nightmaregale

What is evasion doing in this discussion?? It doesn't affect boost endurance.

And Drak.. Amazing. I never actually tested my favorite build real endurance.... But I pretty much guessed you could boost forever as long as you don't get Ion'ed.

He's not saying evasion affects endurance. Since Drako is using engine power converter, Nightmaregale is wondering what Drako picked as the defensive crew member. The best to go with would be Writch because he's got Power to Shields and Quick Recharge, which would matter with the shield pool power and recharge times. However, most people use Vector (power to shields + response tuning) on scouts, the guy's wondering if Drako changed that for this build.

I think he's also wondering what Drako picked as Booster Recharge tier 4. Because of the engine regen delay, it would be best to pick BR tier 4, right--increased engine power, rather than increased regeneration since the engines will never naturally regen if continuously being used. Likewise, why use regeneration thrusters over power thrusters if continuously boosting? Power thrusters should allow you to go further because BR is refilling by relative percentages to the total power pool--more bang for your buck in this case.

Edited by SWCNT

racing around the map! Kuat would be an ideal map

It is awesome, especially if you can find a teammate wanting to race on Kuat TDM. And as long as you don't care about your K/D ratio, try to powerdive through the Kuat gateways. Drag racing through ships in TDM shipyards is also fun.

Actually believe it or not, but the regen is still better then the max power supply because you are technically regening energy while you are boosting. Yes there is a Regen delay, but that delay is for Max regen, there is still a "recently consumed" rate, that recently consumed rate is affected by greater regen, and boosting that long will result in more energy regened that way then you would have started with with extra engine power.

While watching I had that Firefly quote in my mind: "I'm a leave on the wind, watch how I soar" :)

Now even without that complete setup you can get from A to C in one boost if you build for it and it is always a nice change after a few games where you were "forced" to fly bomber.

Actually believe it or not, but the regen is still better then the max power supply because you are technically regening energy while you are boosting. Yes there is a Regen delay, but that delay is for Max regen, there is still a "recently consumed" rate, that recently consumed rate is affected by greater regen, and boosting that long will result in more energy regened that way then you would have started with with extra engine power.

So you're saying that the regeneration delay is only being applied to the default (what you called max) regen rate, whereas the "recently consumed" rate is being applied while boosting? Maybe it's semantics, but I don't like the wording on "recently consumed" because it's still being consumed. It seems odd that the recently consumed regen rate would be applied when you never stopped consuming energy, but I can believe it. Maybe you're right then, maybe the increased regen will still outweigh the increased power pool from power thrusters and tier 4 in BR.

Edited by SWCNT

Alright there's a couple of really good questions in here I'm going to address.

1: What defensive crew was I using?

I was indeed using 10% extra shield pool and 5% evasion. Everyone is absolutely right that swaping 5% evasion to 15% shield regeneration would have helped to regenerate my shields when not using the Engine power converter.

2: Why did I choose Regeneration thrusters over speed thrusters? The entire idea of the build was to boost for as long as possible, I was going for endurance.

3: How does engine regeneration work while boosting? While boosting your engines are still regenerating only they use the "recently consumed rate". They also use this rate for 3 seconds after you stop boosting.

Engines regenerate at 5/sec normally and 2/sec while in the recently consumed rate. Source

So while in power to engines, you gain 50% more regeneration (As well as a 20% speed bonus) making you gain 7.5/sec normally and 3/sec while in recently consumed rate. Source

Regeneration thrusters further increase both these values by 20%

I hope this clears up some of the engine questions in here, I'm glad everyone is getting useful information out of this fun video!

My build is Stingfire with Booster regen, quick charge shield, regen thrusters, C2-N2/Blizz - while the boost endurance is a little less than your build (still enough to go from any to any place without stopping), the firepower is quite better :)

By the way - does the engine regen talent in Booster Recharge (t4 if I recall) works on recently consumed engine as well?

Edited by Bolo_Yeung

My build is Stingfire with Booster regen, quick charge shield, regen thrusters, C2-N2/Blizz - while the boost endurance is a little less than your build (still enough to go from any to any place without stopping), the firepower is quite better :)

By the way - does the engine regen talent in Booster Recharge (t4 if I recall) works on recently consumed engine as well?

Yes it does, all upgrades that help regeneration are always in effect because you are always regenerating engine power. The only time you stop regenerating is when the enemy applies a debuff to you that does so. (Think slicers loop)

Yes it does, all upgrades that help regeneration are always in effect because you are always regenerating engine power. The only time you stop regenerating is when the enemy applies a debuff to you that does so. (Think slicers loop)

For engines and lasers.

For shields you have to be careful, because apart from Quick-charge shields, Shields do not regen at all until the delay has passed (maybe BioWare should change this).

We wouldn't need to buff strikers to be able to outdistance that kind of build for them to be mobile enough-just enough to outdistance the dfield/telemetry or dfield/BO builds. If scouts had to sacrifice one of their favorite abilities to threaten strikers, they would be without double break or insane burst damage..