A Fond Farewell, and Eulogy to a Good Dream

Manweth

Wait wait, I heard about the threats from some punk, but where did the Devs "openly curse at players."

I wouldn't lie, I'd be impressed if a gold text came into a thread and said, "Stop being whiny little ****."

errrr Devs (game management) started cursing player base (and insulting them) during game launch. Been a few other times as well after that.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Errrrr, link?

lol Im not looking back to launch, do your own looking LOL

Anyone that was here at launch knows about the Twitter explosion where one of the managers told players to get a life and leave him alone about when they getting in

there has been others as well

as I said, do your own research

This is called "white knighting". Thinks he's a pillar of the community and makes dramatic claims about leaving because he can't stand to watch it die. If the game does actually die, it becomes self-fulfilling prophecy and feeds his ego. If the game doesn't die, he can claim his departure from the game made such resounding waves within the community that it effected change that saved the game, which once again, feeds his ego.

This is called "white knighting". Thinks he's a pillar of the community and makes dramatic claims about leaving because he can't stand to watch it die. If the game does actually die, it becomes self-fulfilling prophecy and feeds his ego. If the game doesn't die, he can claim his departure from the game made such resounding waves within the community that it effected change that saved the game, which once again, feeds his ego.

this is assuming the OP is even really leaving the game which for me is highly doubtful for someone that has expended that much energy making their list of why they must leave and is already 'correcting' people about their own goodbye post

this is assuming the OP is even really leaving the game which for me is highly doubtful for someone that has expended that much energy making their list of why they must leave and is already 'correcting' people about their own goodbye post

Yeah, making like 3 or 4 posts after he said the OP was the last time he was going to post.

NOTE: Taken and edited from my post to Guardian/ Jugg forums. It felt appropriate to post here after a little bit of rephrasing.

For a time, I've been dabbling in other games, other genres, and the prospect of playing SWTOR got less glamarous. Now, after a good introspection (nodding to all good Knights out there), I've come to a decision.

I've been here since the beginning. Beta, Early Access, events, F2P launch, the ups and downs of the game, the expansions... I've been here. But as all good things must come to an end, so too this venture.

This is the last time I'm posting on forums.

Why is this the last time?

Simply put...

SWG.

This game is now SWG. It is dying. I'm very objective when it comes to the quality and the playerbase of a game, even when I love it to death. SWTOR is a good enough game in a genre that is itself dying. MMOs are stagnant stale beasts of a decade long gone now. ( Early 2000s, that is.) It's gone and it won't come back.

Until the advent of true virtual reality, MMOs are cursed to be mediocre. SWTOR is about one of the top five MMOs in the market. But that is saying very little. The game's population has gone down tremendously since SoR, and even tho Bioware / EA might be making good money from it, it doesn't change the fact that the game has declined. It started its slow path into death.

An MMO of this scale takes years to die. But quality drops inevitably. This game has had the Star Wars Galaxies post-NGE feeling for a while now.

The devs are disillusioned. Even Musco can't hide it now, no matter how hard he tries. All the new hires of Bioware Austin are working on a secret project that is unrelated to SWTOR. There are about a team of 50 ppl that is employed in Austin office but not listed anywhere in SoR credits.

It will take time. Maybe five or six years. But still, it won't prevent this game from devolving into Knight Online while the slow death progresses.

Players have THREATENED devs and their families. Devs have openly cursed at players. Communication between camps is breaking down. The gameplay has gone to **** with 3.0, and I'm not seeing the effort they were expending back when they did after 2.0. Back then, devs were trying.

Now?

Now they are just keeping the game afloat.

With this; my final thoughts on guardians. It was a dream. It was a good dream, but a dream nonetheless.

For the longest time, I saw that dream. The dream to be the best at an odd job, holding your own in DPS while doing other extraordinary stuff. To be a valued player recognizable by skill and class both.

That dream is dead now. I could be the freaking 'God of Games and All That is MMO' and that would not make a difference. Some of us are really hardworking people, who try hard to excel and excel. Because even though this is a game, this is who we are. We are semi professional athletes in a sense, with a profound mind for excellence.

When a game actively squashes excellence in favour of mediocrity, it means that it is time to exit the stage.

Real life rewards mediocrity well enough. People without merit can hold positions higher than they should because of familly ties, money, friends or simple favoritism. I can't stand it in real life.

I certainly can't stand in a game, a world where I come to enjoy myself.

This is beyond simple class balancing or fight design at this point.

Bioware Austin has failed on every single aspect of the game with 3.0.

1) Story is bland and stale. Unimpressive end to an iconic Star Wars character. Uninspired story.

2) Gameplay has devolved into a button-rotation from its previous state of priorities and reaction-time mechanics. Whereas it was a thinking AND training man's game in PvE, now it's a soulless mash-fest.

3) PvE combat design has failed completely. When your own developers fail to notice how classes play, and consequently design fights favoring a single class, that's when you know the game is not a priority even for said devs. Bugs are abound and fixed very seldom, and new ones are introduced on a patch- basis.

4) PvP, once a valued member of the gameplay trifecta, is now a stealth fest. Leaderboards are dominated by one or two ACs at a time, and it is no fun for anyone.

5) Even the game aspect that receives the most attention and work, THE CARTEL MARKET, is failing. The new packs and items inside are unimpressive, bland and useless. Gone the days of inspired item sets from SW lore, now all we see are reskins.

SWTOR was a good dream.

That dream is dead now.

Goodbye all good people that is reading this. My sub is running out in a month, and with it, I will be gone as well. I said this exact same thing back in SWG forums a long time ago as well.

Like back then, I hope to see true SW fans in the next SW-MMO alongside.

May the Force be with you all.

Oh no the sky is falling!

Absolutely agree with the OP except for one thing: "Years" is way too optimistic for a game that is critically flawed pve-wise (based more or less entirely around the idea that a pve-er's ultimate goal is to min-max their gear and raid which should have been one one the foundations of the level cap activities but not its sole one) and pvp...no need to mention all the well-known issues there.

A while a go I had a guild chat and talking of how much active online time this game had I said "about 2 years". Then to my surprise I heard the very same idea in the last torocast podcast, which led me to think I was somewhat "right" about it.

The game is dying, it's getting harder and harder for devs to keep it afloat by adding once in a blue moon 30 mins stories (1 for all classes and sides) plus new daily areas (as if doing dailies was ever any fun), decoration hooks, same old boring rep grinding events (without a single new item added to rep vendors) and at the same time, the milking activity of BW Austin hasn't dropped for a minute. Maximum milking + extremely lazy maintaining / bug fixing / new content adding mode. 2-3 years maximum at this rate, but definitely not "years".

A while a go I had a guild chat and talking of how much active online time this game had I said "about 2 years". Then to my surprise I heard the very same idea in the last torocast podcast, which led me to think I was somewhat "right" about it.

So you and some crackpot on the internet have the same notion. Is that something to brag about?

2-3 years maximum at this rate, but definitely not "years".

Even 2 years is "years," Nostradamus.

Edited by branmakmuffin

So you and some crackpot on the internet have the same notion. Is that something to brag about?

What I meant was, that it's definitely "in the air". Everything excluding official announcements leads different people to think the same about how long swtor will remain on live servers or at least will be "actively" supported.

Even 2 years is "years," Nostradamus.

As strongly as you refuse to accept this prediction about swtor longevity, do I really need to specify that, imo, by "years" OP clearly meant more than a couple of years, which is overly optimistic of him.

Absolutely agree with the OP except for one thing: "Years" is way too optimistic for a game that is critically flawed pve-wise (based more or less entirely around the idea that a pve-er's ultimate goal is to min-max their gear and raid which should have been one one the foundations of the level cap activities but not its sole one) and pvp...no need to mention all the well-known issues there.

The game is dying, it's getting harder and harder for devs to keep it afloat by adding once in a blue moon 30 mins stories (1 for all classes and sides) plus new daily areas (as if doing dailies was ever any fun), decoration hooks, same old boring rep grinding events (without a single new item added to rep vendors) and at the same time, the milking activity of BW Austin hasn't dropped for a minute. Maximum milking + extremely lazy maintaining / bug fixing / new content adding mode. 2-3 years maximum at this rate, but definitely not "years".

this and i don't think anyone could have said it better. this game has a few more months left and after that its going the way of warhammer.

What I meant was, that it's definitely "in the air". Everything excluding official announcements leads different people to think the same about how long swtor will remain on live servers or at least will be "actively" supported.

As strongly as you refuse to accept this prediction about swtor longevity, do I really need to specify that, imo, by "years" OP clearly meant more than a couple of years, which is overly optimistic of him.

Pfffffftt, let's not even begin mentioning the plethora of other none AAA mmos currently STiLL inhabiting the mmo space making a quarter of the money this game does.. Not to mention this little article. http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/11/perfect-ten-the-top-10-healthiest-live-mmos/

But please, continue on with your sky is falling theory. AFter today's info, I'm sure you're right. :rolleyes:

Pfffffftt, let's not even begin mentioning the plethora of other none AAA mmos currently STiLL inhabiting the mmo space making a quarter of the money this game does.. Not to mention this little article. http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/11/perfect-ten-the-top-10-healthiest-live-mmos/

But please, continue on with your sky is falling theory. AFter today's info, I'm sure you're right. :rolleyes:

I was just as pleased to read the latest swtor news as probably you were. The end of swtor and the swtor -> swtor 2 transition could be sad but instead it's gonna be as interesting and exciting as devs could make it, at least so it seems. That, however, does not remove swtor core problems (the engine and its limitation) and hardly takes away much from its upcoming closure. But learning that swtor during its remaining time will honorably pave the way for swtor 2 and not just die off is definitely good news.

I was just as pleased to read the latest swtor news as probably you were. The end of swtor and the swtor -> swtor 2 transition could be sad but instead it's gonna be as interesting and exciting as devs could make it, at least so it seems. That, however, does not remove swtor core problems (the engine and its limitation) and hardly takes away much from its upcoming closure. But learning that swtor during its remaining time will honorably pave the way for swtor 2 and not just die off is definitely good news.

Lol swtor2. Well now that its confirmed you're just trolling, we can go ahead and dismiss anything you say as irrelevant. You aren't even living in reality to begin with.

These posts are such drivel.

To what end would you post this? Nobody here knows you...was that supposed to be motivational?...anti-motivational?

I love the part where you say "I'll follow this thread for awhile"...translation..."I want attention and want to see the response to my drivel"

Having fun?....play

Not having fun?...play something else

Grow up

Lol swtor2. Well now that its confirmed you're just trolling, we can go ahead and dismiss anything you say as irrelevant. You aren't even living in reality to begin with.

I said "swtor 2", it could be "swtor: next" or anything, what does it matter. How you extracted any sort of confirmation from the fact that I said "swtor 2" will remain a mystery no one cares about. An at least interesting ending for swtor, a bridge to the next star wars mmo that these chapters will build is surely better than quiet population dropping and fading into oblivion.

Lol at the fact that some nobody on the forum confirmed something and dismissed anything I say. How am I supposed to live with this now....

Edited by Preston_Violent

I said "swtor 2", it could be "swtor: next" or anything, what does it matter. How you extracted any sort of confirmation from the fact that I said "swtor 2" will remain a mystery no one cares about. An at least interesting ending for swtor, a bridge to the next star wars mmo that these chapters will build is surely better than quiet population dropping and fading into oblivion.

Lol at the fact that some nobody on the forum confirmed something and dismissed anything I say. How am I supposed to live with this now....

The fact that you somehow believe there's a mysterious next start wars mmo as a follow up to this one is hilarious in its own right. Let me clue you in on how investors work. They don't say, "Hey, we spent a ton of money on this game to get it developed, and it didn't meet our expectations. I know, let's do it all over again! ". If it's currently profitable, and is making money, it runs until it doesn't. There isn't some magical swtor2 being developed. Much to the haters chagrin, this one is going to be around for awhile. See lotro, sto and any other major ip based mmos as examples. You might wanna get your head out of the clouds, you're getting dizzy. :rolleyes:

The fact that you somehow believe there's a mysterious next start wars mmo as a follow up to this one is hilarious in its own right. Let me clue you in on how investors work. They don't say, "Hey, we spent a ton of money on this game to get it developed, and it didn't meet our expectations. I know, let's do it all over again! ". If it's currently profitable, and is making money, it runs until it doesn't. There isn't some magical swtor2 being developed. Much to the haters chagrin, this one is going to be around for awhile. See lotro, sto and any other major ip based mmos as examples. You might wanna get your head out of the clouds, you're getting dizzy. :rolleyes:

I guess he expects the devs to pull 16-20hr days / 6 days per week to get out all the KotFE content as well as developing SWTOR2 on a brand new engine, for a couple years.

Interesting and I think you've been dizzy believing in the cloudlessness of the swtor future. At any rate, we might return to this topics in about 2 years, for the moment none of us can be proved right or wrong.

I guess he expects the devs to pull 16-20hr days / 6 days per week to get out all the KotFE content as well as developing SWTOR2 on a brand new engine, for a couple years.

If it's BW Austin then it's definitely not the team involved in swtor but some other team. Swtor department might be understaffed but no one knows for sure how many people work at BW Austin overall. Or it might some other BW branch.

FYI, your blind, unconditional, zombie-fan's faith in swtor and that it's here for many, many years is just as amusing.

If it's BW Austin then it's definitely not the team involved in swtor but some other team. Swtor department might be understaffed but no one knows for sure how many people work at BW Austin overall. Or it might some other BW branch.

FYI, your blind, unconditional, zombie-fan's faith in swtor and that it's here for many, many years is just as amusing.

Says the guy who is akin to the straggly stranger on the street corner holding "The End is Nigh" sign. Yeah, those guys will be right, eventually......when they die. No matter how cloudy you think this game is, I think you need to get out and get some perspective. There's about a few dozen other games, some popular ip's, some not that are easily plowing along on a fraction of the money this game makes. Not to say SWTOR doesn't have it's problems, but it's not as grim as you and other "doom" prophets seem to think. Your "predictions" about the impending game destruction, is equally amusing as Harold Camping and his whackjob following was. I can find dozens of these doom posts on a quick little browse through the other 6 mmos I've rotated between for the last 5 years. All of them still open, all of them still actively being developed, none of them anywhere close to being mentioned in the top performing mmos currently live. Your right, i'll be sure to bookmark this thread for 5 years down the road and come back and have a laugh.