I wish there was a "Generic Armor" checkbox in the client options.

Ashes_Arizona

You've done plenty of insulting from the very first post you made. You are just too arrogant to see it.

I stated general things and didn't directly insult you or anyone else. Whatever insults you inferred from the post were drawn based on conclusions you drew, yourself, based on how I described the quality of bikini armor characters in this game and/or the fact that most of these bikini armor characters require millions of credits to gear out correctly and most people in todays instant gratification world of gaming phone up China more often than they actually do dailies every day for a month.

You can choose to be insulted by the OP....if you have a reason to be. Sure.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except you are treating your own worthless opinion as somehow greater or more important than anyone elses

Again, conclusions based on self inference. I specifically state in the post that its fine if you want to be a jedi stripper, I just don't want to have to constantly look at it. I also state that its not clever, nor is it sexy. That doesn't invalidate your opinion...it simply establishes my own.

I have two subscriptions and 16 characters (all possible classless) consisting of both Male/Female & Republic/Empire and none of them ever wear skimpy outfits.

But that is my “PERSONAL” taste and “CHOICE”.

In my humble “OPENION” SWTOR has many pressing issues that the developers should spend resources addressing.

This issue and solution of yours, in my humble “OPENION” is not one of them.

To address a post that isn't people simply fighting because they found a reason to fight.

There are literally almost no resources to spend on this idea. Nothing new has to be created. Its like...maybe 28 - 36 lines of XML? Lets see, 2 genders, 4 classes, one checkBox ID for the UI, then a boolean string which points the client at client side resources that are already there by referencing gender and class type.

36 lines of XML is not a resource its like...something that could be done while a UI dev was in the bathroom.

I stated general things and didn't directly insult you or anyone else. Whatever insults you inferred from the post were drawn based on conclusions you drew, yourself, based on how I described the quality of bikini armor characters in this game and/or the fact that most of these bikini armor characters require millions of credits to gear out correctly and most people in todays instant gratification world of gaming phone up China more often than they actually do dailies every day for a month.

You can choose to be insulted by the OP....if you have a reason to be. Sure.

Now, let's remember - I don't have any half naked slave girl/dancer/whatever outfit characters, so no, I'm not taking any of this personally, but let's just see exactly what you've said.

your stupid little "haw haw I'm so clever and naked" toon

That's insulting. Calling someone's toon stupid and little is insulting.

your sense of humor, style and creativity is juvenile and boring

Also insulting. Calling someone juvenile and boring (Or just calling their sense of humor, style and creativity juvenile and boring) is insulting

I'm saying is its stupid that I don't have an option to not have to endure what you think is clever and interesting and attractive.

Implied insult. Saying you have to "endure" it, is a strongly implied insult. You know you mean it as an insult, despite any claims you make to the contrary.

I just have a distinct and refined idea of what is actually attractive and sexy

Another implied insult. The implication is that anyone who doesn't share your views on what is attractive and sexy

Just off the first two pages. I could go through and cherry pick from the rest of your posts if you wanted, but a) I think the point is made, and b) I can't be bothered.

Whether or not I am personally insulted by any of the things you have said does not mean that they are not insults. I'm not african american, so I'm personally not going to be insulted if you say it, but even I know that, in polite company, the 'N' word is an insult.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

To address a post that isn't people simply fighting because they found a reason to fight.

There are literally almost no resources to spend on this idea. Nothing new has to be created. Its like...maybe 28 - 36 lines of XML? Lets see, 2 genders, 4 classes, one checkBox ID for the UI, then a boolean string which points the client at client side resources that are already there by referencing gender and class type.

36 lines of XML is not a resource its like...something that could be done while a UI dev was in the bathroom.

I'm amazed that you know how their code works and that it can all be done in XML.

I'm not sure I'm here to win anyone to my way of thinking.

I have a profanity filter.

I should have a visual profanity filter. And thats largely what I find most of these sad "naked as humanly possible" characters are.

If your eye offend thee, pluck it out!

I'm amazed that you know how their code works and that it can all be done in XML.

Its generally XML to my knowledge. The UI's customization level indicates that, I can go dig out the files if you want me to to prove it...but its probably XML.

If its not XML its JSON and either way its still about a 36 line script addition to scripts that are already there.

Now, let's remember - I don't have any half naked slave girl/dancer/whatever outfit characters, so no, I'm not taking any of this personally, but let's just see exactly what you've said.

That's insulting. Calling someone's toon stupid and little is insulting.

Also insulting. Calling someone juvenile and boring (Or just calling their sense of humor, style and creativity juvenile and boring) is insulting

Implied insult. Saying you have to "endure" it, is a strongly implied insult. You know you mean it as an insult, despite any claims you make to the contrary.

Another implied insult. The implication is that anyone who doesn't share your views on what is attractive and sexy

Just off the first two pages. I could go through and cherry pick from the rest of your posts if you wanted, but a) I think the point is made, and b) I can't be bothered.

Whether or not I am personally insulted by any of the things you have said does not mean that they are not insults. I'm not african american, so I'm personally not going to be insulted if you say it, but even I know that, in polite company, the 'N' word is an insult.

Sure people can certainly be insulted by the things I've said if they choose to be. They were meant as descriptive English which was written to reinforce my general loathing of the type of character I want a way to stop seeing.

Not going to argue with your opinion, but I won't agree that I "meant" it as an insult, I meant it to demonstrate how much I don't like what I'm writing about.

Sure people can certainly be insulted by the things I've said if they choose to be. They were meant as descriptive English which was written to reinforce my general loathing of the type of character I want a way to stop seeing.

Not going to argue with your opinion, but I won't agree that I "meant" it as an insult, I meant it to demonstrate how much I don't like what I'm writing about.

All about choice, innit.

I'm not an arm chair developer. I've worked with the Hero Engine on small projects with friends before, I am not currently employed in the mainstream industry but I do make a living making game content for Renderotica, DAZ, Second Life, and IMVU, I have a ridiculous Nexus profile with several personally developed mods for the games the Nexus supports with hundreds of thousands of downloads for those mods.

Unlike your "armchair" developer..I actually know the difference between XML and JSON and have worked in both. And yes I am the total package, I script, I made 3D and 2D art, I can even dance, if you can put up with white people dancing.

Stop assuming you know what you're dealing with just because you don't like my tone. Cause you don't know what you're dealing with at all.

Please please please can you make some nice hair mods for Dragon Age Inquisition? (Yes, the default hair is so horrible that I'm reduced to begging perfect strangers in another game for it.)

Oh, and back to the original topic, perhaps it would be easier to implement something I've been asking for since I started playing MMOs in 1995 with The Realm?

It concerns the ignore list/function. When I put someone on ignore, I want to completely obliterate them from my game. I don't hear them, see them, smell them. (Yes, that last one was a joke for you hard%*$es.)

Edited by Cedia

I'm sure everyone here knows that this is never going to happen for obvious reasons as why would BioWare implement a feature that the majority of the forum users don't want? Forum users don't represent a majority of the population, but it is quite obvious a LARGE number of people don't want this.

Everyone has their own opinion, and everyone has a right to share their opinion, but let's put this into perspective,

you are out walking in town and you see a group of people in clothing you do not like or don't find attractive. Are you going to tell them that their outfits are disgusting, or how they are unattractive? I think not. I'm sure the person would react in some way, (you can put whatever you think may happen here). OR, you can use your idea and get people to rally behind it and remove said people and clothing so you are not offended. (I wonder where else in history this has happened... World War II ring a bell? People reacted, rallied together, and look where this idea is today, no where to be found but in history textbooks).

In this thread you (the OP) have been talking about your views of these 'revealing' types of clothing and how they are just "Star Wars Strippers" generalizing a group of clothing which is not right. And saying: "I don't think I'm being unfair in wishing I had a way to avoid dealing with other peoples visual stupidity" is insane.

Honestly, I'm wasting my time trying to tell you how wrong you are, and you can choose to be offended. Like you said; "people can certainly be insulted by the things I've said if they choose to be", so take that with a pinch of salt like all the other replies to your proposed idea of madness.

This is my opinion, so I'll just sit back, relax, and stock up on popcorn since this is going to be a long thread.

Please please please can you make some nice hair mods for Dragon Age Inquisition? (Yes, the default hair is so horrible that I'm reduced to begging perfect strangers in another game for it.)

I am actually part of the DAI modding group but DAI isn't specifically the easiest beast to get around. Frostbite 3 has no inherent mod support and DICE isn't going out of their way to introduce simple client override either.

Regardless there is some work being done on DAI and I've done some collaboration with a few other long time mod devs I've worked with over the years. There have been some proof of concept hair introductions but to my last knowledge getting them to work in the game is a hill we're still climbing.

Everyone has their own opinion, and everyone has a right to share their opinion, but let's put this into perspective,

you are out walking in town and you see a group of people in clothing you do not like or don't find attractive. Are you going to tell them that their outfits are disgusting, or how they are unattractive? I think not. I'm sure the person would react in some way, (you can put whatever you think may happen here). OR, you can use your idea and get people to rally behind it and remove said people and clothing so you are not offended. (I wonder where else in history this has happened... World War II ring a bell? People reacted, rallied together, and look where this idea is today, no where to be found but in history textbooks).

In this thread you (the OP) have been talking about your views of these 'revealing' types of clothing and how they are just "Star Wars Strippers" generalizing a group of clothing which is not right. And saying: "I don't think I'm being unfair in wishing I had a way to avoid dealing with other peoples visual stupidity" is insane.

Some of us play games to get away from other people's stupidity in real life. Obviously with varying degrees of success... :rolleyes:

Oh, and back to the original topic, perhaps it would be easier to implement something I've been asking for since I started playing MMOs in 1995 with The Realm?

It concerns the ignore list/function. When I put someone on ignore, I want to completely obliterate them from my game. I don't hear them, see them, smell them. (Yes, that last one was a joke for you hard%*$es.)

Derendering other players based on a client side command isn't impossible. Its not something the modern MMO has really ever delved into but the tech for it isn't specifically hard.

This is client to server stuff, little more difficult than a simple client side override, but again, not specifically hard to implement either.

I play on Ebon Hawk and I think I've seen exactly two such characters you describe. Maybe I don't go to the cantinas enough, but I'm a Jedi on an RP server, why would I unless I have to.

And I happen to think my character is very attractive, and she doesn't show one iota of skin except she doesn't wear a helmet. Skin-tight body garments ftw?

Bottom line: to each their own. I don't find the bikini mods "sexy" at all either, but I do seem to remember some Jedi wearing rather revealing outfits (at least in the midriff zone) in the newer movies, so there is SOME precedent.

OMG !!! So some players in a MMO outfit their characters in a manner OP doesn't approve ? How did we come to this ?

He's not asking to be able to prevent anyone outfitting their characters in the way they see fit, he is asking for a way so his client doesn't see the modifications. Those who don't activate this filter will see the outfits as the player intended. As he pointed out, much like the profanity filter. It doesn't prevent players from being able to use profanity, it just filters it out for the recipient if they choose.

That being said, I like to see what others have created, even if I find them tacky or juvenile.

Edited by Tyrloch

I'm not sure I'm here to win anyone to my way of thinking.

I have a profanity filter.

I should have a visual profanity filter. And thats largely what I find most of these sad "naked as humanly possible" characters are.

Oh noes! They are showing skin ( pixelated skin for that matter ), which is completely natural, what ever shall we do?! Have you ever been to the beach? do you tell everyone to cover up wearing a speedo or bikini?

Edited by mmmbuddah

So basically you have all these little crudely sexualized characters running around and BioWare profiting off the juvenile need to sexualize anything that can be sexualized.

Its not just disrespectful to women....its disrespectful to art. It is, as I said, visual profanity, you are like a big walking middle finger every time I see if you if you dress your characters like this. I'm not sure what planet you grew up on where you were entitled to the right to just offend anyone you want...but I certainly didn't grow up there.

It's been that way since longer than I can remember. Sex sells, ergo sexualised content will also sell. The game is PEGI 16 rated, so the content shown falls in line with that.

Perhaps you may wish to roll a character on a RP server, maybe it's better there, maybe not.

Either way, if you wish to hide behind "low poly" or "because I'm a married man" or "because I'm an artist", then I suggest you grow up, stop being such a prude, get with the times or go play a different game (or all of those).

I applaud you for your morals, I really do. However they're misplaced in a game that is placed on pixels, based in a galaxy far far away and is sci-fi fantasy. You are aware of this are you not? Before you witter on about your personal preferences in an MMO?

As for the "checkbox" idea? I'm absolutely certain the response would come back from BioWare along the lines of "the game engine doesn't support that" or "we tried it, but it introduced serious server issues and impacted on playability for everyone (like chat bubbles)". Essentially I doubt you'll get what you ask for aside from a lot of drama on a forum, because your views are outdated.

"special little snowflake" What is, Bob Ross. I'll take Happy Little Birds for 400, Alex.

Also, your fully armored female toons bore me. Can you add another 32 lines of XML to have the game change your boring toons into bikini/lingerie wearing characters, please? Thanks. ;)

I'd just like to speak up for "old guys".. Lol.. Please don't include us into the perv category!! Most of us have more class and experience with our better halves to have more respect for them..

That typical "old neck beard" is closer to the youth generations.. Not our generation..

*old guy walks away quietly*

I'd just like to speak up for "old guys".. Lol.. Please don't include us into the perv category!! Most of us have more class and experience with our better halves to have more respect for them..

Curious, back when you were "younger" in 1983, did you walk out of the theater during Return of the Jedi?

I don't think the OPs actual game-mechanics request is THAT unreasonable, really. Not sure if it's doable, or worth the tradeoff in development hours spent, etc, but the idea itself is not all that bad.

However, OP seriously made himself the villain of this piece with his delivery. Insulting, demeaning, aggressive, etc.

Personally, I think that there's a lot of silliness and latent unnecessary sexualization and "rule of kewl" nonsense involved in characters, predominantly female but also male in some cases, running into combat in what amounts to beachwear and lingerie. However, in a video game, each PC is someone's creation and character, and it's their right to do whatever the game allows them to do with their own character.

Edited by Max_Killjoy