Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

This really is a big issue. I've especially noticed the delay in Jedi Shadow's double strike skill. After hitting the button it will take like 0.3-0.5 seconds before it actually starts and it feels like I'm lagging. Other skills show these symptoms as well like stated in this thread.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This really is a big issue. I've especially noticed the delay in Jedi Shadow's double strike skill. After hitting the button it will take like 0.3-0.5 seconds before it actually starts and it feels like I'm lagging. Other skills show these symptoms as well like stated in this thread.

Welcome to the party!

It's good to hear from a player who is experienced with Activation speed / Alacrity rating , as i did wonder what impact it would have on the game regarding skill lag / delay.

Now all i need to do is level up some more and test it out for myself! :D

Not good if you need to level up high in order to have an option to stack gear and then through that, fix yourself to have smooth/responsive abilities ........... sigh

should be like wow, where haste makes spells go faster, channels, dots etc... not make your game feel more response by letting you fire your spell when you actually PRESS the ability just cus you stacked alacrity hah

Ok, you clearly don't get it, so I guess my second assumption was correct.

I try to explain myself, with quotes to back myself up, and this is your response? I get the issue, you don't need to explain anything, but you don't care about that do you?

I just started this game today and have this exact issue. I am highly disppointed by it. There is no smoothness to the gameplay because of this issue. Unless it is fixed ASAP I will probably play for the month then ditch this game. it is unfortunate that WOW seems to have the only game designers that know how to create a playable MMO.

I try to explain myself, with quotes to back myself up, and this is your response? I get the issue, you don't need to explain anything, but you don't care about that do you?

You lack the intelligence, so why waste my time. I have tried to explain why you made a retarded comment and you can't even understand that, so why would I waste another second on you, continuing a conversation with a kid that just can't understand is hurting this thread. Thus, I will stop responding to you because I actually think this thread could HELP improve the game I waited so long for.

I'll get on board this train. I couldn't play WAR for more than a couple weeks for this very reason -- abilities were seriously delayed. Feeling connected to your character is very important, and unfortunately, it's something overlooked by the layman gamer.

Down with the 0.5 seconds.

/bump

On this note, I keep hearing Mythic had a hand in ToR in some capacity.

Can I get a confirmation?

I updated my graphics card drivers, tweaked my NVidia settings and I have none of the issues you stated above.

You are wrong. What the OP discuss is there and it is a true issue. I am not saying "omg this game suckz" etc, because of this. But it's indeed a GAME issue and the game would be wonderful without it. Some times, channeled abilities (like force lightning) even fail to start and you thus lose half a GCD or more. The game's responsiveness is good but sadly not great.

In a few words, this issue is there, end of story. I don't like being absolute, but there's nothing -concerning if this issue exists or not- that is debatable here. If you think it's a hardware, driver, bla bla bla related issue OR if you think that it's not there, you are just mistaken or don't know wth we are talking about.

Doing a Master's in computer programming with high hopes of moving on to do my PHD.

This is best explanation I can think of:

In a game like WoW, if your previous spell's animation is still playing when you use your next spell, the old animation immediately ends and that of the new spell beings. However in TOR, if an animation is still playing, the game will not let you cast another spell, even if the cast time and GCD have already finished.

In other words, if a spell has a 2s cast time but a 2.5s animation, you'll be sat there looking stupid for 0.5s unable to cast anything after the first spell, whereas in WoW the last 0.5s of the old animation will be "clipped" (ie cut off) and you'll be able to cast a new spell immediately, the animation of which will also begin to play immediately.

In programming terms, it's like this:

WoW - Press button -> Begin cast time & animation -> Cast time finishes, do damage/heal -> If a new button is pressed now, end old animation and jump to start

SWTOR - Press button -> begin cast time & animation -> Cast time finishes -> Finish playing animation -> Do damage/heal

Note that in WoW the actual effect of a skill goes through when the CAST TIME finishes, whereas in SWTOR the effect goes through when the ANIMATION finishes, and in WoW you can end an animation prematurely whereas in SWTOR an animation locks you out of casting new spells.

This is where the feeling of a disconnect from your character comes from - The UI is saying you can cast another ability now, but you can't because the old animation is still playing.

Also reposting because it shows exactly where the problem is coming from.

Now, I'm all for presentation, but gameplay HAS to come first. If you're going to use a game with a GCD system, then you damn well better be able to use your abilities once the GCD is up. Anything less is inexcusable.

If the animation is too long, then shorten it. MAKE it fit.

If you can't do that, then clip it.

On this note, I keep hearing Mythic had a hand in ToR in some capacity.

Can I get a confirmation?

Mythic and Bioware are owned by EA. So there has been some blurring between all three on SWTOR.

From Wikipedia:

Electronic Arts purchased Mythic Entertainment and renamed the company EA Mythic on June 20, 2006.[1] EA Mythic renamed themselves back to Mythic Entertainment on July 10, 2008.[2] On June 24, 2009, it was announced that as part of EA's restructuring plan Mythic Entertainment and BioWare would come together under a new RPG/MMO division headed by BioWare General Manager Dr. Ray Muzyka. It was also revealed that current General Manager of Mythic Mark Jacobs had left EA on June 23, 2009 and would be replaced by Rob Denton.[3] According to General Manager Dr. Ray Muzyka the company is now called BioWare Mythic.[

You lack the intelligence, so why waste my time. I have tried to explain why you made a retarded comment and you can't even understand that, so why would I waste another second on you, continuing a conversation with a kid that just can't understand is hurting this thread. Thus, I will stop responding to you because I actually think this thread could HELP improve the game I waited so long for.

Awfully defensive aren't we?

How could I possibly have an intelligent conversation with you, when all you do is say that I am "retarded" and that I "lack the intelligence", I'm a "troll", and other such statements. Insulting me is what made me defensive to begin with, and thus you have done exactly what you claim I have done.

Your right though, this is pointless, so let's just stop. I won't throw random insults at you in a bid to have the last word. Perhaps you don't understand my point, and I don't understand yours, does it matter? However, I didn't even want to try to understand your point with that mouth (keyboard?) on you.

There was some programming analysis I believe somewhere page 10-50? may be a bit higher but below 70-80... though no professionals I don't believe chimed in.

on a programming perspective its two or threefold.

effects not happening until a certain point of animation - intended. prolly lack of foresight on the devs part? or they were expecting ppl to pay attention to the animations more. it definitely gives the kotor feel though

abilities not registering - bug

mount issue - bug

skill rotations messing up - bug

So are we getting an official response from BioWare on this topic? It's gone on for 137 pages..

Remember, the animation system was one of the big features that they kept touting. It is impossible that they did not see these problems during testing, therefore, they got it "good enough for release" and moved on to slay other dragons.

My instinct tells me that developers made an issue of this problem a long time ago and were told to move on to other things.

Mythic and Bioware are owned by EA. So there has been some blurring between all three on SWTOR.

From Wikipedia:

Electronic Arts purchased Mythic Entertainment and renamed the company EA Mythic on June 20, 2006.[1] EA Mythic renamed themselves back to Mythic Entertainment on July 10, 2008.[2] On June 24, 2009, it was announced that as part of EA's restructuring plan Mythic Entertainment and BioWare would come together under a new RPG/MMO division headed by BioWare General Manager Dr. Ray Muzyka. It was also revealed that current General Manager of Mythic Mark Jacobs had left EA on June 23, 2009 and would be replaced by Rob Denton.[3] According to General Manager Dr. Ray Muzyka the company is now called BioWare Mythic.[

I feel like I should have known this, thanks!

I cite Mythic a lot, but I was never sure how heavily a part of this they were. It explains a fair bit.

TripleOG and Fallthar, at this point it's off-thread. We've managed to be civil for a long time in this discussion. /sigh

I apologize for taking this thread in the wrong direction. I didn't mean to do that, and I should not have gotten so defensive when I was called names. It's just the internet, I should have been more mature.

My original intention in the thread is lost anyway at this point, so I won't be continuing to derail this thread (again, I am sorry, I see my error now). I hope everyone else success in finding the answers they need.

So are we getting an official response from BioWare on this topic? It's gone on for 137 pages..

I think it is safe to assume that Bioware has their eyes on this thread, if not I would be shocked (and appalled). Now, if we get a response and proper (honest) dialogue? that is not known.

I suggest continuing discussion and awareness raising, it is sad (and nice) that this extensive analysis and discussion has gone on for 130 without Bioware's input but I believe that it is in SW:TOR's and Biowares as well as our best interest for this Dialogue to begin.

All we can do is raise the issue here, and this thread does it very well (through all your posts and discussions) what Bioware ultimately does with this information, is out of our hands sadly.

I feel like I should have known this, thanks!

I cite Mythic a lot, but I was never sure how heavily a part of this they were. It explains a fair bit.

It's something EVERYONE needs to know. It allows people to understand that the game is being made from a buisness perspective, not a gaming perspective.

It's one of the reason I still hold in high regard because I think it played a MAJOR roll in the development of the original WoW. I still believe the original WoW had a MUCH MUCH MUCH lower, let's call it business to passion ratio (business obviously being the now Activision side of things, and passion being the legitimate want by developers to make a good game because it's something they themselves would like to play), than Swtor. Swtor wasn't made by a group of MMO players with a few writers, it was made by a massive corporation.

I apologize for taking this thread in the wrong direction. I didn't mean to do that, and I should not have gotten so defensive when I was called names. It's just the internet, I should have been more mature.

My original intention in the thread is lost anyway at this point, so I won't be continuing to derail this thread (again, I am sorry, I see my error now). I hope everyone else success in finding the answers they need.

Its ok, I think both of you guys should just agree to disagree, there won't be a winner with a last word and there doesn't need to be. You both have more in common than not probably (such as wanting SW:TOR to be the best game possible to take you away from WoW for good?) etc.

Look, its all good but this thread has been incredibly positive and fruitful, lets not have personal vendettas of trolling.

TripleOG and Fallthar, at this point it's off-thread. We've managed to be civil for a long time in this discussion. /sigh

I know dude. The sad part is, is that this kid just won't stop, even when he asked for people to "lay off". But, me trying to keep the thread on topic has done the opposite. Oh well, you won't see me respond to him anymore.

I think it is safe to assume that Bioware has their eyes on this thread, if not I would be shocked (and appalled). Now, if we get a response and proper (honest) dialogue? that is not known.

I suggest continuing discussion and awareness raising, it is sad (and nice) that this extensive analysis and discussion has gone on for 130 without Bioware's input but I believe that it is in SW:TOR's and Biowares as well as our best interest for this Dialogue to begin.

All we can do is raise the issue here, and this thread does it very well (through all your posts and discussions) what Bioware ultimately does with this information, is out of our hands sadly.

The staff might be overwhelmed right now because of the holidays and possibly a lot of folks on leave with their family. I know realize this is a 24 hour world but no company has infinite resources and I think we have to be realistic about what might be happening.

There is no way they aren't aware of these problems, and probably have been for some time. Maybe they thought that it wouldn't become an issue until a lot of players were getting in to end game content, and by then they would have the situation addressed.

Yeah, the most we can all do is bookmark this thread and come back to it....constantly. Keep it on the first page, always. Eventually Bioware will be forced to answer, even if they don't want to.