Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Really for me it's not even about skill, or level playing field or however we want to call it.

It's as simple as I do not want to play a game that has combat as unresponsive as that in Warhammer online.

I love this game, I want it to be successful. But clunky gameplay is damaging.

The people "complaining" about this issue in this thread aren't "hating" on the game, we want it to succeed so that we can continue to enjoy it for many years to come.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about it, Leilei. We have a ton of examples.

You just go enjoy your game and thanks for contributing! :)

well ok o.o make sure to compile it to a huge list of stuff so the bug fixer ppls so they can do one huge easy sweep with all the animation problems x.x

Ill add if I get any problems! BTW underworld medicine does not cancel if you cast right after rolling. Even if you keep spamming it while rolling

Cast, cast bar completes, move forward, skill is cancelled.

Cast, cast bar completes, animation begins, move forward, animation cancels.

Its reproducible at will.

It sounds like the casts are server side rather than client which is causing the issue. I remember WAR having something akin to this which broke PvP and sent people away in droves.

It didn't help the game wasn't very good either.

Oh of course, it IS a level playing field - but not one that emphasizes skill, quick-thinking OR reaction times.

I believe someone made a chess reference earlier, but i'll bring it back up as an example to hopefully make the point clear.

Speed chess: Imagine if in the latest super-duper tournament of chess (don't know what it is, don't care :p) decided that instead of only 30 seconds to make your next move, you're actually allowed 1 minute.

This would make an enormous impact on gameplay, strategy and of course - would allow for a lot more room for mistakes, evaluating those mistakes and correcting them.

This is the logic I referred to, nobody is at a disadvantage however these ability delays make the game require less 'skill' less reaction time, and leaves a lot more room for error.

Not true. Things like skill and time are relative. This just comes down to personal preference, which I never argued. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is "unresponsive" or "clunky."

Edited by Nanotech

68 pages of trolling. good lord.

responsiveness NOT AN ISSUE

sure there are some graphical glitches that look like your character is performing the same move twice. And sure there are some UI glitches that make certain abilities look like they can't be used/cooldown.

but responsiveness. how do these trolling threads get so big. its like all the occupy folks with no intelligence and a sheep mentality. they just wan to follow some bandwagon to feel important.

whens the sitting animation bandwagon going to get rolling?

My god... what are you?

Actually, I don't click and i'm pretty sure the problem here is that you're blind, not me. I do fine with this game and don't need Bioware to turn it into WoW so that I have a chance to compete. That's your problem.

Ah, we're back to this again, I do so love a circular argument with no basis in reality.

If I wanted this game to be WoW... I'd be playing WoW.

Funny how that works.

What I want, however, is a working combat system, within SW:TOR.

If you can't see the issue, fine. That's your choice. Personally, I watch the video linked in this thread, and I see a problem. If you do not, that's, like, your opinion man.

Please explain to me how good players are at a disadvantage against bad players when all things are equal. If you can explain that to me, then i'll concede that his logic is absolutely perfect. Also: examples =/= fact and crying about my use of internet vernacular is more petty than using it. As for your little epigram at the end: wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Dude, who cares?

You are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Your logic is plain idiotic.

Its like opening a drag racing event with only stock Toyota Prius's. Its a level playing field...but is it fun? Of course not.

When i use a skill, i want the game to instantly register it. As it is right now, it just makes it seem like im playing with a ton of lag....which is you know....NOT AS FUN AS IT COULD BE.

responsiveness NOT AN ISSUE

sure there are some graphical glitches that look like your character is performing the same move twice. And sure there are some UI glitches that make certain abilities look like they can't be used/cooldown.

but responsiveness. how do these trolling threads get so big. its like all the occupy folks with no intelligence and a sheep mentality. they just wan to follow some bandwagon to feel important.

whens the sitting animation bandwagon going to get rolling?

Ironic, if you read the thread thoroughly - you'd discover you are in fact the troll (I believe you know this already though :p) - and are about to be bombarded with comments similar to mine.

We are absolutely not trolling, I love this game more than any other atm and would love to see it succeed, as with a great many other people who are in this thread.

All of these are people that believe that good responsiveness in gameplay, is an absolute MUST for a successful, and more importantly fun-to-play game. This is not just an opinion, all successful games in the past 5-10 years have been based on very responsive, quick, rewarding and fluent gameplay, animations/graphics/realism all come in a close second.

The fact remains that responsive gameplay leads onto many other things, character immersion, high skill-cap in competitive PvP, more thought into high-end PvE.

Here's your proof.

Cast bar completes, move forward, ability is cancelled.

so if i can repeat that and upload to the nature that WOW also has that problem. do i get a cookie? because i'll do it. FRAPS and all. this is a common problem with MMO's

its not twitch based game playing skills. you want a FPS style responsiveness you're in the wrong game type my friend.

****. This is a real issue, and a game breaking one on the medium/long term.

Because troll threads regarding this issue do get constant huge page numbers. It can only mean one of two things: all of us - that report this issue - are trolls, or the small minority of jerks that are too dumb to actually notice anything should be doing better things with their time than TROLL threads that are giving as much feedback as possible to have this issue looked into.

WHen BW fixes this, jerks like you should hide under a bed.

Here's your proof.

Cast bar completes, move forward, ability is cancelled.

Oh look more proof.

I have a feeling they can't fix this issue. champions online had the exact same issue and still does as far as i know.

I feels like playing in peanut butter. I played champions online for 2 days. Ill play swtor 2 months if this isnt fixed.

Dude, who cares?

You are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Your logic is plain idiotic.

Its like opening a drag racing event with only stock Toyota Prius's. Its a level playing field...but is it fun? Of course not.

When i use a skill, i want the game to instantly register it. As it is right now, it just makes it seem like im playing with a ton of lag....which is you know....NOT AS FUN AS IT COULD BE.

I don't know, why do you care? You're arguing for what? The sake of telling me that i'm arguing for the sake of arguing? Get off your high-horse, hypocrite. My logic is fine.

Not true. Things like skill and time are relative. This just comes down to personal preference, which I never argued. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is "unresponsive" or "clunky."

I'll grant you the fact that unresponsive and clunky are certainly terms which are open to subjection, however even if an ability takes 0.1 seconds longer than it should to cast (according to the cast time) that is still classed as not responding as it should. That isn't opinion, that definitely IS logic.

so if i can repeat that and upload to the nature that WOW also has that problem. do i get a cookie? because i'll do it. FRAPS and all. this is a common problem with MMO's

its not twitch based game playing skills. you want a FPS style responsiveness you're in the wrong game type my friend.

Do It.

You upload a video of you playing WoW and interrupting mounting after the cast bar has fully completed and I will send you a cookie the size of the USA.

Proove it about WOW, go ahead.

Let me see your frap video showing WOW's lag being even close to swtor.

Go ahead. I'm waiting.

I'll grant you the fact that unresponsive and clunky are certainly terms which are open to subjection, however even if an ability takes 0.1 seconds longer than it should to cast (according to the cast time) that is still classed as not responding as it should. That isn't opinion, that definitely IS logic.

No, they're not terms "open to subjection." Unresponsive is unresponsive. If this game had unresponsive controls and a broken combat system, there would be more than a handful of people regurgitating the same inane BS over 70 pages. Now THAT's logic.

Edited by Nanotech

Before I begin, make it known that I am NOT in anyway bigging up, bragging or trying to make WoW look good... I quit the game for this and hope to never look back.

But fact of the matter is, in WoW - if the cast bar is full, you do whatever the hell you want, run around, jump up and down, cast your hearthstone, because that ability WILL be done, finished and on it's way to the enemy or w/e. WoW sacrificed all forms of animation for fluid and extremely responsive gameplay.

By all means though, within perfect environment (good latency, good fps) you go ahead and record a video proving me wrong, get a full cast bar 'interupted'

It's interesting the similarity as well, in WoW the bar goes green when the cast is complete, in SWTOR the cast bar lights up when the cast is complete. Only difference is, in WoW the spell will have cast bang on the 1.5 second mark (or whatever the cast time is) where-as SWTOR will wait for the animation to finish, before you can begin casting your next move.

I don't know, why do you care? You're arguing for what? The sake of telling me that i'm arguing for the sake of arguing? Get off your high-horse, hypocrite. My logic is fine.

LoL

You really have no leg to stand on, nor any substance in your posts.

Keep digging the hole.

ps. Keep arguing noob, the more posts this thread gets, the more likely Bioware will take a look at the issue.

Proove it about WOW, go ahead.

Let me see your frap video showing WOW's lag being even close to swtor.

Go ahead. I'm waiting.

I was tempted to hack one together with all 3 games that I have accounts with... but then I realized that I'd have to give Rift and WoW some more money that I don't really have at the moment.