The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

I agree with this!

I see the "Lag" delay, this needs to be fixed ASAP.

I know I'm not lagging, I have a amazing computer...

16GB ram

intel 2700k

SSD Drive (windows

SSD Drive (Just for game

ATI- 5870 2G Video card

My internet connection speed is 25/up 25/down...

I see this lag issues when casting, I feel "strange" while playing.. a bit out of place.

I hope this gets addressed soon...

I also hope BioWare gets a new QA lead... their QA team missed a ton of stuff.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much agree with the OP.

Also think targeting is just as important as responsiveness. No click-throughs (attacking or healing) and targeting is very difficult so I often am not able to attack the same mob as the MT or MA.. There are just a lot of improvements that need to be made to the basic combat functionality.

Is it my imagination, or did they tighten things up today? I tanked a few FPs on my assassin, and not ONCE did I have an ability not tied to the global (interupt, dark ward in particular) fail to execute exactly when I used it. I also had no issues transitioning from instants longer than the global to other instants as soon as the global was available.

Whatever they changed today, it seems to have helped a lot. I won't say it's perfect, I still noticed VERY slight delay here and there, but much, much better than it was, at least for me.

After spending the majority of my day reading many old and new threads about this issue, I have not seen one response from BW. It is sad to see that so many brought this issue up back during beta, and they are still so frustrated and STILL bringing it up, with NO FLIPPING response. What does it take to get an official response from BW?

Couldn't agree more. It's really obvious in PvP and with some chanelled abilities. I remember the old days of WoW with /stopcasting macros (or doing little jigs to interrupt a spell), but even that was better than having no way to exit an animation.

I don't play WoW anymore, and I have absolutely no plans to ever again. However I don't seem myself investing in this game long term while this remains an issue. It's unfortunate because it really does seem like a beautiful game, but it's mind boggling how this could be overlooked. Maybe it's incredibly hard to get right, who knows. I'll check back every few months.

Thank you very much for posting on this issue. This has been my only gripe about the game thus far and really detracts from an otherwise very polished and great game. I beg you, Bioware, to better address this issue, especially with Imperial Agents. It makes them cripplingly painful to play sometimes.

This.

One of the worst cases of this is in interrupts. Pretty much any reactive ability is virtually unusable at present. When I was trying to Force Kick on my Jedi Sentinel I thought for a second that Kick was on the GCD since it didn't go off nor was the cooldown initiated. At first I just sighed since an interrupt should never be (WoW made this mistake) but when I watched my bars in the next fight I realised it wasn't.

So why the heck wasn't it going off?

Simple. Because my previous animation hadn't finished the game completely ignored my interrupt. What's the point of having reactive abilities in the game when issues like this exist?

This game has certain things that, at least IMO, go waaaaay beyond WoW in terms of their quality so please patch this up and it'll be great.

I dont really understand this, on my SA I can be using Force Lightning and then use Jolt to immediately interrupt an ability. I have NEVER had an issue using jolt. I think this is an issue for only some people.

I also hope BioWare gets a new QA lead... their QA team missed a ton of stuff.

Their QA is fine - in included a months long beta where every concern voiced at launch was already brought up many times. It's an issue either of making poor choices about how the game should be, or of not having the resources to do everything that should be done. It's not that they don't know what to do.

This and interrupts/CCs are pretty much my main issue with the animation-based casting. If the casting bar on my heal ends while my target still has HP and half a second later my target dies before my heal hits him, I have to restrain myself from punching my monitor.

Being new to mmo's I didnt fully understand the problem until i read this post here. What you described happens to me all the time and I hate it. In pve its not such a deal breaker but i can see how in pvp this would make me walk away for good. As it is I can only see myself playing this game for a few months....just to get the conclusion of the story

I dont really understand this, on my SA I can be using Force Lightning and then use Jolt to immediately interrupt an ability. I have NEVER had an issue using jolt. I think this is an issue for only some people.

Bryoal, if you don't see the issue that does not mean it does not exist. This thread has so much rich discussion to pinpointing this discussed that you would do yourself injustice not taking your time and reading through it.

I must stress, you may not notice it because you play at a slower and more relaxed pace, that is ok but does nothing to deny the argument. The "vast" majority of people here are highly concerned about this obvious issue.

Lastly, to those people who just can't wrap their mind around what the problem is because as far as you're concerned there is none... please use your logic and not love for the game or a company and see that this is a thread that within a little over 24 hours has nearly 90,000 views and 2,000 responses.

This, is, real...

Because FL is a channeling ability, and when the casting time end, there is no more animation.

Roll a Consular and try doing the same with Project, or roll a IA and try using any instant ability after the grenade ability.

Try it with any ability that after you cast it, there is an animation effect that needs to "connect" to the target, like a missile or bolt or hadouken.

Because FL is a channeling ability, and when the casting time end, there is no more animation.

Roll a Consular and try doing the same with Project, or roll a IA and try using any instant ability after the grenade ability.

Try it with any ability that after you cast it, there is an animation effect that needs to "connect" to the target, like a missile or bolt or hadouken.

Is there an example of a sorcerer ability that should be doing this? The only spell I can think of that has a long animation is static barrier, but spells go off just fine during the static barrier animation, even if the animation doesn't start till afterward.

Did anyone else notice an improvement today? Especially with abilities which do not obey the GCD? I haven't had a single issue using an off-gcd ability during another abilities animation today. It will use the ability instantly, and just play the animation afterwards. If you'd like to test it, go hit an animated on GCD ability, and an off GCD ability at the same time, and watch. I can post a video with lacerate and dark ward demonstrating if need be. The lacerate animation will play first, but the buff from dark ward is applied instantly, as it should be.

I have been following this game since 2008. I love star wars. I love bioware. I love mmos. I love this game. I have only posted on these forums about four times since 2008. However, I must chime in about this issue.

I 100% agree with the op about everything he says.

This issue takes all the fun out of pvp for me. It is not such a problem in pve but it ruins pvp for me. I sincerely hope they can fix this.

If they can't fix it, then it essentially puts a time limit on how long I will be a subscriber. I enjoy all aspects of mmos but pvp is why I have always continued to play. As the game is now I will play through every class story and cancel. :(

This is a great game and it seems like every post I read is a troll and is mostly just lies about the game. This is real and the op hits the nail on the head. This must be fixed for tor to seriously compete with wow.

Did anyone else notice an improvement today? Especially with abilities which do not obey the GCD? I haven't had a single issue using an off-gcd ability during another abilities animation today. It will use the ability instantly, and just play the animation afterwards. If you'd like to test it, go hit an animated on GCD ability, and an off GCD ability at the same time, and watch. I can post a video with lacerate and dark ward demonstrating if need be. The lacerate animation will play first, but the buff from dark ward is applied instantly, as it should be.

I think they would have made a public patch notes if they did any changes to it. Try mounting and moving forward as soon as bar finishes. It's still there.

I brought this up so many times in beta and on the forums after the NDA and was flamed with the, "it's beta dude" comments.

I have been following this game since 2008. I love star wars. I love bioware. I love mmos. I love this game. I have only posted on these forums about four times since 2008. However, I must chime in about this issue.

I 100% agree with the op about everything he says.

This issue takes all the fun out of pvp for me. It is not such a problem in pve but it ruins pvp for me. I sincerely hope they can fix this.

If they can't fix it, then it essentially puts a time limit on how long I will be a subscriber. I enjoy all aspects of mmos but pvp is why I have always continued to play. As the game is now I will play through every class story and cancel. :(

This is a great game and it seems like every post I read is a troll and is mostly just lies about the game. This is real and the op hits the nail on the head. This must be fixed for tor to seriously compete with wow.

Actually, this is a huge problem in PvE, especially for healers.

I did notice a slight improvement, but the bulk of the problem is still there. I have plenty of animation stuttering still.