WoW lost 3 mil subs in 2 months Swtor still gaining

hunterareop

WoW is approaching 11 years old. Sure, I still enjoy the game here and there, but it is already over a decade old. And even losing subs, numbers wise it's still a huge gorilla in the room. But at this point in its lifespan, who cares that subscriptions are declinig? It was bound to happen eventually, and was always just a matter of time. You still won't see another MMO come along anytime soon that can sustain that sort of top position the way WoW did for so long. The MMO industry just isn't in that type of era anymore.

Never mind that pretty much everyone, including Blizzard, knew that the jump from roughly 6 million subs to 10 million subs for the Expansion was going to decline back to, or close to, pre-expansion numbers sometime in 2015. So, no news there. And they will see a jump again with the next expansion, the movie in 2016, et cetera, Yawn.

And to the poster who said that WoW was just another LoTR/Fantasy rip-off in Lore. Sure, I won't argue that. But don't then point to Star Wars like it was purely original. In case you didn't know, Star Wars not only ripped-off the space opera serials that came before it, but also several fantasy elements (and put them in a sci-fi skin).

yep exactly

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If BW gets their act together, starts putting some REALLY hard work into the game, ALL ASPECTS of the game, when the new SW film is released people will flock to the game. But if they stick to skating by with absolute minimal effort and creativity, the game will get even more negative publicity, and IMO it will not last much longer.

Work? Effort? Creativity?

Those are not the limiting factor. If the money investment is inadequate, there is only so much the developers can do (no matter how hard-working and creative they are). Even when developing a fantasy game, there is no such thing as magic;)

WoW is approaching 11 years old. Sure, I still enjoy the game here and there, but it is already over a decade old.

What is amazing is that WoW is approaching the point where kids will start playing it who weren't even born when it was launched.

Yes, yes, I know, Ultima Online and EverQuest are older and you could say the same, but neither have had the sub numbers or mass market appeal of WoW.

For pete's sake, Mila Kunis is a well known WoW player having mutliple toons and being a raid leader. That is mass market appeal if there ever was any.

And to the poster who said that WoW was just another LoTR/Fantasy rip-off in Lore. Sure, I won't argue that. But don't then point to Star Wars like it was purely original. In case you didn't know, Star Wars not only ripped-off the space opera serials that came before it, but also several fantasy elements (and put them in a sci-fi skin).

actualy. Warcraft is direct ripoff of warhammer (the tabletop strategy game - decades before they went for an MMO). and starcraft is ripoff of 40k. oh they eventually diverged pretty far in terms of story, but even then, you can still see plenty of influences and then some, both visually and lore wise.

it was especially apparent in original warcraft and warcraft 2, before they started fleshing out the story and background in warcraft 3 in earnest.

it still makes me sad. because the moment warhammer online came out - it was labeled WoW clone. but.. what the hell could they do? change entire recognizable long existing warhammer aesthetics? long time fans would eat them alive and it wouldn't really be warhammer anymore.

anyways :p

But WoW is subscription-only based MMO... :rolleyes:

To play devils advocate... That is a drop of almost 1/3. As an almost exclusively sub based game that means a HUGE loss in terms of income. SWTOR on the other hand got 26 million out of 165 million (estimated by Super Data) from subscriptions in 2013. If they lost 1/3 of the subscription income...who suffer a bigger % loss in total income?

I play and enjoy both games, WoW gained about that many players with the release of Warlords of Draenor and everyone figured it would drop back down to normal levels after the new content had been out, what 6 months now. Seriously though, the Dalaran pve realm (server) alone probably has as many subscribers playing on it than all of swtor, I mean; have you been to pot5 lately, jung ma? I'm also curious, does the cartel coin store count towards swtor's growth? IMO, it's what is keeping this game afloat. I freakin' loath giving bioware my money and even I buy those damn packs.

What do I believe in? Bioware milking us for as long as they can without any real improvements to the game before closing shop.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php?sort=Total

I play and enjoy both games, WoW gained about that many players with the release of Warlords of Draenor and everyone figured it would drop back down to normal levels after the new content had been out, what 6 months now. Seriously though, the Dalaran pve realm (server) alone probably has as many subscribers playing on it than all of swtor, I mean; have you been to pot5 lately, jung ma? I'm also curious, does the cartel coin store count towards swtor's growth? IMO, it's what is keeping this game afloat. I freakin' loath giving bioware my money and even I buy those damn packs.

What do I believe in? Bioware milking us for as long as they can without any real improvements to the game before closing shop.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php?sort=Total

really? really? you

1. pick the busiest server.. and then you claim that that busiest PVE server has as many subscribers as all of SWTOR, with its 43k what... characters? accounts? even its accounts and then claim that its more that actual numbers of subscribers that TOR has (which has been stated to hover at around half a mil)? and then compare it to PVP servers in TOR with known lowest population?

how about... we look at the lowest POP servers in WoW.. which are all pvp servers incidentally and have under 500 .. accounts?, players logged in over last month and compare it to that? and if you want to compare highest population servers - then compare Dalaran to, for instance - Harbinger. it IS the most populated server in TOR, yes (and just so happens to also be pve)?

pvp servers in SWTOR are suffering - NO one is arguing that. there are many reasons for it, one of those reasons being that pvp community tends to be extremely toxic and even people who might be still playing the game - are leaving for pve realms. WoW has that issue as well. as demonstrated by very low player numbers on so many pvp servers.

and here's food for thought. Blizzard created cross realm zones to solve issues with low populations without shutting down realms. when that wasn't enough - they actualy connected realms so that for all intents and purposes, other than realm name next to your character name - they are a single merged realm. you can join guilds, mail stuff between characters, etc. and yet... when I roll a new alt, becasue I occasionally feel like trying to play through cata remade early zones I see almost no people. I see a lot more of them on my pve realms in TOR. the only place I actualy see any significant number of people at, actualy is Warspear (mainly play horde). granted - a lot of people still playing are probably hanging out in their garrisons... but THAT, also contributes to loss of subscriptions actualy.

but. yes, cartel market contributes a great deal to TOR's profits. just like cash shop in WoW contributes to theirs - to the point where you can now acess it from inside the game.

and subscriptions in WoW are dropping (though they will go back up now that subscription tokens are out) becasue they are also coasting rather then growing the game through content etc. they can just afford to coast a lot more than bioware can. and bioware really does need to pick it up a bit and invest more into actual content, because fluff will only take them so far. but you are not helping your argument by comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by Jeweledleah

WoW is approaching 11 years old. Sure, I still enjoy the game here and there, but it is already over a decade old. And even losing subs, numbers wise it's still a huge gorilla in the room. But at this point in its lifespan, who cares that subscriptions are declinig? It was bound to happen eventually, and was always just a matter of time. You still won't see another MMO come along anytime soon that can sustain that sort of top position the way WoW did for so long. The MMO industry just isn't in that type of era anymore.

Never mind that pretty much everyone, including Blizzard, knew that the jump from roughly 6 million subs to 10 million subs for the Expansion was going to decline back to, or close to, pre-expansion numbers sometime in 2015. So, no news there. And they will see a jump again with the next expansion, the movie in 2016, et cetera, Yawn.

Point taken, but we don't see Flash Gordan and Commander Cody MMOs, do we? Now a Dune MMO, that would be interesting. Perhaps.

actualy. Warcraft is direct ripoff of warhammer (the tabletop strategy game - decades before they went for an MMO). and starcraft is ripoff of 40k. oh they eventually diverged pretty far in terms of story, but even then, you can still see plenty of influences and then some, both visually and lore wise.

it was especially apparent in original warcraft and warcraft 2, before they started fleshing out the story and background in warcraft 3 in earnest.

it still makes me sad. because the moment warhammer online came out - it was labeled WoW clone. but.. what the hell could they do? change entire recognizable long existing warhammer aesthetics? long time fans would eat them alive and it wouldn't really be warhammer anymore.

anyways :p

Well, yes, I'm aware of that. I live in Maryland and work in the table-top game industry (part-time nowadays, as now I'm a full-time author). Many years ago, when Games Workshop still had their U.S. HQ here (before leaving Maryland), I worked for them.

I wasn't going to go into all that, though, toward the guy who prompted that section of my reply. :cool:

Point taken, but we don't see Flash Gordan and Commander Cody MMOs, do we? Now a Dune MMO, that would be interesting. Perhaps.

Which doesn't even apply to the point I was retorting to about originality and Star Wars. Neither the LoTRO nor Warhammer MMOs even approached WoW's success, either.

Edited by Jumajin

Well, I'm one who just dropped my WoW sub to return to SWTOR. I never really left, though I've been unpaid most of my time here. But I'm taking advantage of the story XP bonus to finish up all my alts. Having way more fun in the past two days than I have in the past 2 months in WoW.

True dat. So what if WoW is or is not the gorilla in the room?

I've played WoW....I tried to get into it. But it was not only boring, it was full of jerks, credit farmers and weirdoes. (and I play video games at age 51....so if you're weird to me you're weird!)

People always say SWTOR is dying. Well, there are a bunch of MMOs out there that I thought wouldn't be around right now, but they are. Age of Conan is still around and I thought it would never survive. It was a disaster at launch.

Secret World is still there and theres never been a sub requirement for it. Buy the game play forever was their tagline. I thought it might not survive, but its still there. Its pretty fun too. EVE online is still around. Lord of the Rings is still around. DC Online and Champions are still around. If they ever ever make City of Heroes again it might dent their numbers but I don't think it will kill either of them.

Heck, if City of Heroes had better graphics to keep up with the newer games it might still be here.

Star Trek Online is buggy still, barely works for some players and its still there. (granted they've done a lot of work on it, but its still not really that good.) I guess it survives because its STAR TREK. If it were just "SPACE ADVENTURERS it would die fast.

Star Wars is as popular, probably MORE popular than Trek nowadays. If STO is still there I don't worry too much for SWTOR. At least until someone comes out with something else that's so good everyone leaves to play it. But I don't see that happening for some time.

Absolutely. I got an e-mail inviting me back to Anarchy Online the other week, promising a massive content update too.

An MMO where I get to whoosh and leap around with force powers and smack things with lightsabers should be able to run for as long as it likes (license disputes aside).

Absolutely. I got an e-mail inviting me back to Anarchy Online the other week, promising a massive content update too.

An MMO where I get to whoosh and leap around with force powers and smack things with lightsabers should be able to run for as long as it likes (license disputes aside).

Holy Crap! Anarchy Online is still around? I thought it got shut down. It was innovative for its time.

It does conf use me where they get characters like dashroode underlurker or any giant pup... Its so ugly and disrupting with the star wars theme..

Tried WOW and just no. Graphics are just terrible and felt like a retard looking at the crap of graphics and with no story. Buhhhbye!

Holy Crap! Anarchy Online is still around? I thought it got shut down. It was innovative for its time.

That was exactly my reaction :) It really was an interesting game, not sure I could go that far back now though as it was also a bit rough around the edges.

Even Lord of the Rings is not original, but based off Wagner's Ring Cycle Operas. An evil god delves into the Rhine and pulls out the pure Rhinegold, from which he forges a ring. The ring is of great power but corrupts all who touch it. It passes from hand to hand on the earth, leaving conflict and destruction. The evil god bends all his will on finding the ring, and plans to use it to destroy the good gods. The only way to destroy the ring is to cast it back into the Rhine from whence it came. The only hope is a hero of almost child-like innocence, who is immune to the corrupting effects of the ring. Sound familiar? :D

Why does everything have to be a WoW-killer anyway? Why can't the two exist, side by side, and have players playing them?

This obsession with comparison, competition and "taking out the other guy" is something I'll never understand.

I agree with this. I think many people would say this game tried to copy WoW. I've never played WoW so I wouldn't know. I do know one has to do with Star Wars, which is why I play and the other doesn't.

I agree with this. I think many people would say this game tried to copy WoW. I've never played WoW so I wouldn't know. I do know one has to do with Star Wars, which is why I play and the other doesn't.

I played WoW for a bit. I couldn't get into it. But I'm not about to criticize it or slam it just because it wasn't for me. I'd play TOR even if it wasn't Star Wars, simply because it's the only MMO with a proper story, voice acting, cut scenes, and all the other frills that come with a BioWare game.

It shouldn't be a comparison. This game should be trying to stand on it's own two feet for better or for worse. Just because something has more people doesn't mean it's better. Of course more people does mean more revenues (assuming everyone isn't F2P.

This statement is so arrogant, "Just because it has more players doesent mean its better". People wouldnt come to the freaking game in the first place if it wasnt good

That was exactly my reaction :) It really was an interesting game, not sure I could go that far back now though as it was also a bit rough around the edges.

I feel the same way. It was certainly one of those one's that had lot of potential, and I bet if they had huge influx of developer money back when, then it would have been incredible. It was still in the genre when mmo's took innovative design risk.