Bioware, Let's make a deal on Rodians

Bluerodian

Ok. I don't hide the fact that Rodians have been one of my favorite species in the Star Wars universe since EP4 premiered back in the 70s, but I also know Bioware's stance on the subject of non-human player species. It's a stance I absolutely do not agree with which is another thing I don't hide. I call the decision lazy. It's not the artists I consider lazy, though I believe some of them are. Rather it's the design decisions being made.

So Money talks, right? Here's the proposition.

I will pay Bioware $1,500 USD (up from $1,000 which I offered before) for a Legacy unlock for Rodian players.

As far as I'm aware, that should help deflect some of the cost of developing one species by a good amount considering that a large portion of the work is already done in the other species (body shapes/forms and animations) and both Genders. There would need to be new head forms for them (or modified from the Rodian NPCs). They would need modified hands, considering that in canon, Rodians have much longer fingers and little suction cups on the hands. Females have hair, as seen in EP6 Special Edition as well as in various spots during the prequel trilogy, and males have varying frill styles.

On the subject of voice work. The existing voice-overs would suffice for now. It would look a little odd perhaps, but it would do until more appropriate vocal work can be done. With the near abandonment of class stories, I don't consider the voice overs as much of an issue as they used to be.

Now I would be willing to pay the amount up-front, so long as I received a legally binding contract stating that it WOULD be done and a firm lead time or release date. After I got my unlock, they would be provided to anyone else who wanted a Rodian at or near the same price point as Cathar and Togruta.

This way you could consider the amount an investment in something that is wanted by, at least, a portion of the community so the difference between the amount provided by me and the actual development cost would likely be recouped very quickly.

No B.S. No Jokes. No Trolling. The money's on the table. If you want it, Bioware, say so here, and send me a Point of Contact in my PMs. I'll get the ball rolling on it.

I know I'm not the only one wanting to play as a Rodian.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said before, I'm sure $1000 is all it will take.

Everyone knows that there will never be Rodians, etc. as playable races. Even if there is no such thing as the "Princess Leia test," their is no way a Rodian would be an acceptable romance partner for any of the current character companions.

Any threads making such requests are by now jokes or trolls. I will let you tell us which one yours is.

Now if Treek were a Rodian, that would be better, IMO, than an Ewok.

Everyone knows that there will never be Rodians, etc. as playable races. Even if there is no such thing as the "Princess Leia test," their is no way a Rodian would be an acceptable romance partner for any of the current character companions.

Any threads making such requests are by now jokes or trolls. I will let you tell us which one yours is.

My thread is neither Joke nor Troll. I'm dead serious. If I wasn't I wouldn't be willing to drop $1,500 on it.

It doesn't matter if you or the community thinks that they wouldn't work. You're not the one holding out a bundle of cash at Bioware.

Edited by Bluerodian

My thread is neither Joke nor Troll. I'm dead serious. If I wasn't I wouldn't be willing to drop $1,500 on it.

It doesn't matter if you or the community thinks that they wouldn't work. You're not the one holding out a bundle of cash at Bioware.

How about you gift me $20 in CC's so I can get the new speeder instead. Instant gratification!

Speaking as a woman I would have no desire what so ever to kiss a Rodian. to quite Leia "I'd rather kiss a wookie". :p

Speaking as a woman I would have no desire what so ever to kiss a Rodian. to quite Leia "I'd rather kiss a wookie". :p

So Rodians don't pass the Anaesha test.

If this were a different kind of game, I'd find it fun to play a Rodian. They would be my first choice for a character of an overtly non-human looking race/species.

But TOR is not that game.

That's fine. You wouldn't have to play one. Personally I wouldn't bother with any of the romantic options in the game. I find the whole concept of pixel romance a little odd anyway.

So Rodians don't pass the Anaesha test.

If this were a different kind of game, I'd find it fun to play a Rodian. They would be my first choice for a character of an overtly non-human looking race/species.

But TOR is not that game.

It's whatever game Bioware chooses it to be. At the end of the day it's their call. The ball is in their court and only they can accept or decline my offer. I firmly believe, though, that there are enough people that DO want Rodian characters that they would certainly profit from it.

Edited by Bluerodian

It's whatever game Bioware chooses it to be. At the end of the day it's their call. The ball is in their court and only they can accept or decline my offer. I firmly believe, though, that there are enough people that DO want Rodian characters that they would certainly profit from it.

See, this is why I say "Not sure if serious." Everyone knows there will never, ever be Rodians (or any other too-inhuman looking) species for players. You know it, I know it, the guy who mows your lawn (even it it's not you) knows it. TOR is not SWG, and it never will be.

That you're serious IS the joke. $1500??? Do you seriously believe that is incentive enough to get BW to do anything at all?? This is not even up to the level of chicken feed! It's like dangling a roll of pennies at them; it would be an insult if it weren't so laughable.

This is a perfect example of players believing they are a lot more important than they really are.

Edited by MSchuyler

See, this is why I say "Not sure if serious." Everyone knows there will never, ever be Rodians (or any other too-inhuman looking) species for players. You know it, I know it, the guy who mows your lawn (even it it's not you) knows it. TOR is not SWG, and it never will be.

I wasn't asking for SWG and that wasn't even a consideration in this thread. You brought it up, not me. The desire to be something different stems mostly from a certainly level of sheer boredom with EVERY species currently in this game. Rather than complain further about it, I'm offering to do something about it and in the end hope for something kind of resembling diversity in the player character choices.

And I know exactly how much I'm worth. Currently that is $15 a month which is nothing. That I'm offering what is likely more than any single player has ever dropped at one time on this game should say something.

As for where the number came from, it's based upon the median salary of a 3d character artist ($50,414) in this day and age in the United States and is considerably more than one of them makes in a week. I suspect Bioware pays theirs significantly less.

Edited by Bluerodian

I wasn't asking for SWG and that wasn't even a consideration in this thread. You brought it up, not me.

You bring it up every time you post. It's in your sig.

Wouldn't fly anyway. Rodians don't pass the "must be able to speak Basic" test either.

Any species that can speak Huttese can speak Basic.

Edited by branmakmuffin

You bring it up every time you post. It's in your sig.

So I played it from beginning to end. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Concerning speaking basic, again so what? Class stories have been all but abandoned and as far as I'm concerned they can just use the existing voice overs for them. Yeah it would look a little strange but it would do until more appropriate voice work is completed down the road.

Edited by Bluerodian

You want this game to be more like SWG. It's never going to be. But you can keep tilting at windmills if you like

Whatever you think my justification is doesn't matter and frankly I don't feel that I owe you any sort of justification. The offer still stands. Why doesn't matter.

Whatever you think my justification is doesn't matter and frankly I don't feel that I owe you any sort of justification. The offer still stands. Why doesn't matter.

You could offer $27,000,000,000 and it wouldn't matter. We all know you're trolling/joking. Which is fine.

I doubt $1500 would even be enough to pay one man for the time it would take to design the player version let alone actually implementing it.

Considering that a large chunk of the work is already done, I don't think it would take that much. They would be using the same bodies as the other species so also the same armatures, animation, and about 90% of the armors. The heads for the NPCs could be reworked to fit correctly. I doubt there would even need to be any significant re-rigging required. Just some minor re-shaping to create face options.

What I don't get is why people think that it's so strange or crazy that I would go this route, or that I'm joking. That I want something and I'm willing to pay for it is absurd?

Edited by Bluerodian