The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shield Tech in DPS gear for PvP

It is viable in unranked and ranked, but as always depends on the skill of the user. The theory is that the DPS gear will give you 30-40% DPS increase while damage reduction and health will be reduced by 10-20%. You need to weigh up if your tanking skill is good enough to be a viable tank and make that extra damage worth it (otherwise you might as well be dps).

Keep in mind that your opponents might know you have DPS gear and decide to tunnel you. Shield tech has less DCD's than say Immortal but puts out more damage. In one match I played the tank on my team was a shield tech PT in DPS gear and he ran in head first and got globalled (a last second kolto was useless). I lol'd, then was sad at my ratings loss.

If I were you I'd use some 162 dps and tank gear to get a feel for the survivability and damage of each and go from there. If you want to tank ranked I'd recommend just buying the shield tech set

It is viable in unranked and ranked, but as always depends on the skill of the user. The theory is that the DPS gear will give you 30-40% DPS increase while damage reduction and health will be reduced by 10-20%. You need to weigh up if your tanking skill is good enough to be a viable tank and make that extra damage worth it (otherwise you might as well be dps).

Keep in mind that your opponents might know you have DPS gear and decide to tunnel you. Shield tech has less DCD's than say Immortal but puts out more damage. In one match I played the tank on my team was a shield tech PT in DPS gear and he ran in head first and got globalled (a last second kolto was useless). I lol'd, then was sad at my ratings loss.

If I were you I'd use some 162 dps and tank gear to get a feel for the survivability and damage of each and go from there. If you want to tank ranked I'd recommend just buying the shield tech set

3 scenarios:

- ST with full dps gear, C Tech set bonus, generator/ shield. Viable in regs.

- ST with S set bonus, dps mods, generator. Highly recommended for regs.

- ST with S set bonus, dps mods, shield, end augs. Higly recommended for regs and yolo.

Edited by Aetideus

Be a shield tech in Tank gear, be what you were made for, your healer will love you, and the other team will hate you. You will be hard to put down unless multiple people spend their time attacking you, with a good healer you may well tie up 75% of the other team and you or the healer never die.

Decide what you want to be: Shield tech in tank gear = meat bag soak the dmg for the team, annoyance, thorn in side all match long, major support role...not a lot of damage.

Shield tech in Dmg Gear = Way less survivability...Way more Damage. than shield tech in tank gear, but that leaves the question of why not just play a DPS spec to begin with.

As well a shield tech in dps gear might even be hurting the team by placing the guard on the healer instead of the full blown tank doing it., and you run into a REAL problem of at 60 you will be playing with and against the same people match after match ranked and unranked, when they figure out you are a paper tank in dps gear, they will just tunnel you down and that will be that, your dead and your healers screwed joining you at the respawn shortly afterward.

So basically you need to decide if you want to give the damage or take it, but if you pick tank spec...please wear tank gear, not dps gear, you might not be padding the damage numbers/medals, but your team will love you for it, and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that by keeping your healer alive, and him being able to heal the dps, it was you and he that probably very well won the game for everyone