Tutorial issue

Angevord

Hi everyone,

I`m just starting my adventure with GS, but can`t find any option to change ship within tutorial level mission. There is only the scout ship - but where is an option which allows You to check how for. ex. bomber`s components work or gunship?. It`s almost impossible to learn these skills during PVP fight for many reasons - queue time is long, matches are rare, opponents don`t give You an opportunity to train etc.

Regards

Sadly we have been asking for this feature for a long time now. You in fact can only play that one Scout during the tutorial mission.

Welcome to Galactic Starfighter, if you need any help with anything I have an "Ask me anything thread" Here.

I have a bunch of videos of myself playing on my Youtube channel if something like that interests you, link is in my signature. I also stream almost every night, feel free to drop by and ask any questions or ask me to fly specific ships there.

Hi everyone,

I`m just starting my adventure with GS, but can`t find any option to change ship within tutorial level mission. There is only the scout ship - but where is an option which allows You to check how for. ex. bomber`s components work or gunship?. It`s almost impossible to learn these skills during PVP fight for many reasons - queue time is long, matches are rare, opponents don`t give You an opportunity to train etc.

Regards

It would be great if you could choose ship for tutorial, but unfortunately it's not possible.

My best recommendation would be to just read every tooltip carefully. They are accurate and for almost all components, give you all the pertinent information you need. Just make sure to turn on the expanded tooltip option in Galactic Starfighter options.

You can also play with the Dulfy calculator here, which has all the tooltips and upgrade costs.

You can also play with the Dulfy calculator here, which has all the tooltips and upgrade costs.

Btw, why the tooltips in the game are so vague? It's been like that for months. Is it a bug or working as intended to not confuse new players with the amount of stats? :confused:

Any one here play the GTA series? They should do the tutorial as a Series of missions or quests that people can complete. Scenario 1: missile breaks 101 Scenario 2: capping an uncontested Sat (turrets only) Scenario 3: capping a defended sat (easy mode scout bot) blah blah so on and so forth, Teach the noobies the basic fundamentals of all battle scenarios while teaching them also to improve reflexes and think tactically on the fly so to speak.

Hey,

thanks very much for responses and clues.

This lack of fine tutorial is painful, but after several hours with GF I understand why they didn`t give it. This is not about fun, this is all about money. Mechanism is simple: very large group of players as "cannon fodder" vs. several, small groups of most patient, and well coordinated, experienced players. If You not pay for "convert SR to fleet requisiton", Your role is to be "cannon fodder" for a long time. As beginner - You have no training, no skills, no upgrades, and small chance to deal with gunships and ofc You have two ways to resolve that problem: pay for Your advance - what is also an illusion, because upgrades are only 1/4 part of success (anyway there is) or fly like sitting duck as reward for veterans who probably have sunk a lot of time and money into that game. And yes, You can be one of them... after some months, if You have an ambition to be, have money and enough patience. Today - I had 6 times in row matches vs. the same premade group of veterans and quess what - every each time into my group were different players with only these 2 basic ships (I had bomber and gunship, but it didn`t help so much). Two times - we were not able even to destroy anything. Some players from my team left battle etc. I can understand their frustration, I was angry also because this is not a PVP, this is not even a game but totally unfair source of one`s income. I felt not like a player - but someone who has allowed to make an idiot from himself.

Regards

Edited by Angevord

Hey,

thanks very much for responses and clues.

This lack of fine tutorial is painful, but after several hours with GF I understand why they didn`t give it. This is not about fun, this is all about money. Mechanism is simple: very large group of players as "cannon fodder" vs. several, small groups of most patience, and well coordinated, experienced players. If You not pay for "convert SR to fleet requisiton", Your role is to be "cannon fodder" for a long time. As beginner - You have no training, no skills, no upgrades, and small chance to deal with gunships and ofc You have two ways to resolve that problem: pay for Your advance - what is also an illusion, because upgrades are only 1/4 part of success (anyway there is) or fly like sitting duck as reward for veterans who probably have sinked a lot of time and money into that game. And yes, You can be one of them... after some months, if You have an ambition to be, have money and enough patience. Today - I had 6 times in row matches vs. the same premade group of veterans and quess what - every each time into my group were different players with only these 2 basic ships (I had bomber and gunship, but it didn`t help so much). Two times - we were not able even to destroy anything. Some players from my team left battle etc. I can understand their frustration, I was angry also because this is not a PVP, this is not even a game but totally unfair source of one`s income. I felt not like a player - but someone who has allowed to make an idiot from himself.

Regards

You're absolutely right that new pilots are generally easy targets. But they don't have to be cannon-fodder. You might want to ask around on your server and see if you can find a guild or group of pilots that coordinates with voice chat. Even stock ships can be valuable to group strategy.

You're also right that without investing money, it takes months to get strong ships. There is at least one way to make it go faster without using cartel coins, though. Roll several alts, and use each character to focus on a single ship at a time; i.e., have a character that flies your striker, another that flies your scout, another that is your sniper, etc. Each character can do the daily/weekly and therefore apply the full amount of requisition to that ship. This also nets you a lot more credits than you would get with only one character.

Edit: I think the initial grind is worse now that it was a year ago because now there are a lot more veteran pilots with mastered ships. But I remember the months of flying my blackbolt that was about as durable as a paper airplane... in my case, I didn't need ambition to stick with it though. I just enjoy the concept of stylized Star Wars space combat so much that it kept me going, and got me through the grind. I know you're having misgivings, but there are many of us who find GSF to be very rewarding without needing to put money into it. I know my subscriber cartel coin allotment has been helpful in progressing my ships!

Edited by Ymris

You're also right that without investing money, it takes months to get strong ships.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you here. Not too long ago a brand new pilot dropped by my stream and asked me tons of questions, he had played Star wars galaxies before but never GSF. After a few hours of explaining many new concepts to him he thanked me and started playing.

5 Days later he had a mastered Gunship already and was easily doing 20000+ damage every match I saw him in. Now only a few short weeks later he is already on a Team for Super Serious night.

The other point I disagree with is in telling new players to play on multiple characters, your daily tokens apply to all your ships, there is no reason to play on multiple characters. If you wanted to spend an ludicrous amount of cartel coins to transfer all the req from each ship onto one on each character then yes that could work, but honestly the newer players are usually the ones looking to play for free just to try it out.

I started playing in January on JC and just started over on the bastion. It does take time to get a handle in the different ships and the way to use them (I didn't notice the tutorial) but it does get better. Focus on your evasive flying, 10 kills is still a good match for me but my deaths have gone down to 2 or 3 on a bad TDM. Now that I'm starting over I'm doing much better than the first time but still going through the process. If you are on either of those servers I would be happy to fly with you and give as much help as I can (limited as it may be) but the more you fly the better you'll do. Also if you haven't read the guide at the top of the forum it helped me a lot just change the components to fit your play style. Ex. I couldn't use pods at all so my JC scouts have thermites but now I'm running pods and doing well with them. It's all about figuring out what you do well with and not trying to force yourself into something that worse for someone else.

This lack of fine tutorial is painful, but after several hours with GF I understand why they didn`t give it. This is not about fun, this is all about money.

On many forums, and in many games, I'm tired of this kind of waste of electrons. It's a very common complaint against a lot of games that have some manner of micropay.

But this game isn't even that.

Also, you are talking with players who have played thousands of games in this thread. Are you even at dozens? What are the odds that you understand the first thing about the game yet?

Mechanism is simple: very large group of players as "cannon fodder" vs. several, small groups of most patience, and well coordinated, experienced players.

That happens in some games for sure. Some times it's all you can queue into for awhile. But it's definitely not all of GSF- which, having just started, you wouldn't know anything about yet.

If You not pay for "convert SR to fleet requisiton", Your role is to be "cannon fodder" for a long time.

Do you understand the ramifications of the conversion? Do you understand what that's about? Do you understand that many pilots go to other servers, and start from scratch?

As beginner - You have no training, no skills, no upgrades, and small chance to deal with gunships and ofc You have two ways to resolve that problem:

... play with a team, or practice a whole bunch.

pay for Your advance - what is also an illusion, because upgrades are only 1/4 part of success (anyway there is) or fly like sitting duck as reward for veterans who probably have sinked a lot of time and money into that game.

You're right that upgrades matter but aren't the biggest thing. But, you don't gain much by "paying". That's the big thing.

It *is* beneficial to convert a little ship to fleet. It's not what you seem to think, however. Basically, if you convert ship to fleet and unlock every ship you are interested in, and THEN pop tokens, you'll be building all your ships a little faster. But, most ships aren't that amazing. And the first token gives you a gunship and a bomber, or a type 2 scout. What you may be perceiving- and what was brought up- is that you think a lot of folks have converted ship to fleet, then spent the fleet on another ship. That is very expensive and no one does it.

And yes, You can be one of them... after some months, if You have an ambition to be, have money and enough patience.

You can't really buy power in this game. Your impression- that the game is filled with people who bought their position- is frankly ludicrous. Many players even swap to fresh servers, and they certainly aren't spending a lot on cartel coins.

Why would you think that, when everyone who has played thousands of games tells you otherwise? Well, because it makes a convenient story for when you are losing. But, there's no merit to it. That's not what's happening.

You DO need to practice. That's fair, but to imply that the game is "all about cash" is just wrong on every level.

Here's Drako on a stock ship:

http://www.twitch.tv/drakolich/c/5310159

Here's a thread of stock ships on scoreboards:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=755330

That's what the game is. It's not people buying power. It's not some cash farm where you pay up or get crushed.

Edited by Verain

Verain:

"What are the odds that you understand the first thing about the game yet?"

I wrote about lack of tutorial - and reason of this, not about "first thing"

"Do you understand the ramifications of the conversion? Do you understand what that's about? Do you understand that many pilots go to other servers, and start from scratch?"

Yes, I do. BTW - these "many pilots" - who go to other servers - probably have already experience and skills.

"You DO need to practice. That's fair, but to imply that the game is "all about cash" is just wrong on every level"

Well, sadly GS is "all about cash" - this is business, must be profitable. GS gameplay here is well designed - with some clever ideas, but totaly broken due to the business strategy - beginners/"Cannon Fodder"/F2Players - VS. - these gamers who pay for fresh meat - even only have subs. There is no true tutorial, because "cannon fodder" should train during battle being easy targets, and they should dream about to be aces like winners. Some of them will pay for upgrades, few will hardly train, some will buy subs, and some will drop that part of game - easy come, easy go - their places soon will be taken by new, fresh, naive "cannon fodder". But, please, dont try to tell me, that this is a fair gameplay with honest rules - because this is only business.

Edited by Angevord

Well, sadly GS is "all about cash" - this is business, must be profitable. GS gameplay here is well designed - with some clever ideas, but totaly broken due to the business strategy - beginners/"Cannon Fodder"/F2Players - VS. - these gamers who pay for fresh meat - even only have subs. There is no true tutorial, because "cannon fodder" should train during battle being easy targets, and they should dream about to be aces like winners. Some of them will pay for upgrades, few will hardly train, some will buy subs, and some will drop that part of game - easy come, easy go - their places soon will be taken by new, fresh, naive "cannon fodder". But, please, dont try to tell me, that this is a fair gameplay with honest rules - because this is only business.

GSF is not all about cash. Even without paying a cent you have acces to all ships, all components, all upgrades, all maps and you can queue as much as you want, as long as you have time. This is more than you get on almost every other f2p game. On top of that you get so many credits per game, you can easily buy a GSF-pass (or whatever it is called) giving you the amount of requisition for games as if you were a subscriber - you might need to level your character for that, but that's also free.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you here. Not too long ago a brand new pilot dropped by my stream and asked me tons of questions, he had played Star wars galaxies before but never GSF. After a few hours of explaining many new concepts to him he thanked me and started playing.

5 Days later he had a mastered Gunship already and was easily doing 20000+ damage every match I saw him in. Now only a few short weeks later he is already on a Team for Super Serious night.

Fair enough. Not everyone has enough time to play that much though, and not every server will provide enough matches for that to happen. If I recall correctly, it took me about 6 weeks to master my first ship on Jung Ma, and that was immediately after GSF was released. So I was admittedly speaking from personal experience.

Seems like the OP has made up his mind, anyway. To him, GSF is about being ripped off and not about fun space combat. Oh well.

Edited by Ymris

queue time is long, matches are rare, opponents don`t give You an opportunity to train etc.

Which server you are on, which side you are on, and what times you queue play a big role in queue wait times, apparently. I was getting quick solo pops on Shadowlands as Imperial, then when I switched to Republic I could not get anything in 30 minutes as a solo.

Just speculation here, but I think I was being bypassed in the queue because there were so many full groups queuing on the Republic side. If that is how it works, then it looks like you might need to find a group to queue with to increase your odds of playing in a reasonable amount of time.

I am closer in time to the West Coast, so I find The Bastion and Harbinger to be the GSF-heavy servers to use for solo queuing. Drakolich and his ace squadron seem to be playing Imperials a lot on The Bastion, so queuing Republic will get you games fast. Of course, I get slaughtered, but I DO get a lot of games!

I wrote about lack of tutorial - and reason of this, not about "first thing"

You actually MIGHT be interested in understanding, so I'll go into some detail.

GSF did not have a large initial development team. Currently, these days, they don't have much of one at all (at least for now). Players during the beta gave overwhelming feedback that they wanted a tutorial (for obvious reasons). The one we got was put together pretty rapidly near the end. To that extent, it was about cash- making a good tutorial is expensive. It certainly wasn't about making the game somehow less approachable, just based on the assumption that this would something something something tons of money. GSF was "development judo" in that they had to reuse a ton of assets already in game to ship on time. It certainly isn't some wild success that makes money hand over fist.

Yes, I do. BTW - these "many pilots" - who go to other servers - probably have already experience and skills.

Yes, definitely. But they don't have gear or ships or crewmen on fresh servers, is my point.

Well, sadly GS is "all about cash" - this is business, must be profitable.

See, the reason I'm so tired of this is because it can be claimed about any company, doing any thing, with any style of game, with any degree of success. GSF was cheap-ish to produce because they reused their existing game engine and many of the ship models. They reused code for the UI, and they reused assets from the pve space missions to a degree as well.

So no, GSF is not "all about cash", any more than any game is "all about cash".

GS gameplay here is well designed - with some clever ideas, but totaly broken due to the business strategy - beginners/"Cannon Fodder"/F2Players - VS. - these gamers who pay for fresh meat - even only have subs.

That's not a "business strategy". The fact that some players are entirely clueless about the game is certainly not drawing in a ton of money via some circuitous route.

The game would assuredly be MORE profitable with a good tutorial. It would be MUCH more profitable if it also had a small single player mode on top of the multiplayer, because a lot of players would want to do a little bit of that each day too, and some are very bad at three space flying (many would get much better with practice, but straight up not all of them).

But development isn't free, and when you are tasking teams you would want to put them, as you point out, where they will make the most money. Generally, that isn't all over GSF, it's other Bioware projects. GSF is almost a standalone until they reassemble and add some more ships.

There is no true tutorial, because "cannon fodder" should train during battle being easy targets, and they should dream about to be aces like winners.

No tutorial in the world could do that, though. There's no tutorial because it wouldn't make a massive difference. They should still have one- it would increase player retention sizeably- but look at the things you'd have to add:

1- Mobile NPC targets (nothing in the engine is mobile and also an NPC).

1a- No NPC has collision detection.

1b- No NPC has acceleration.

1c- No NPC has turning rate limit.

1d- No code exists to do flight mechanics for NPCs.

1e- No code exists to do AI for anything in the game at all that wouldn't make sense in a 2D MMO (the existing code is all some version of "choose target location and go there" or "choose target player and roll to hit, then roll damage" or "choose target player or area and cast a spell".

1f- No code exists for predictive NPC decision making, at all.

2- NPC targets that shoot (every AI turret or drone shoots and can't miss- some roll on the hit table, others don't, but NONE of them "aim" at you as players have to).

2a- No code exists for determining where the player should shoot versus where the player should move.

2b- No code exists for determining how to decide betwixt those two.

3- "Floating rings" that can detect player collision in a novel way.

3a- Player hit boxes are little spheres in the game engine.

3b- Player hit boxes are handled by existing collision detection from the ground game.

Dramatic code changes would be needed for a tutorial that was really and actually solid. They would, for instance, need a whole flight engine for that, along with an AI module that doesn't exist anywhere else.

Of course, these things would still be cool, which is why we've been asking for them since launch. It's also why players like Drakolich have spent time doing video tutorials for how to play, explaining what is going on, etc.

Given the apparent restrictions, I *do* have a thread for affordable things they could add:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=798967

...and maybe they will, once the dev team is turned back on.

And as a brief aside, I will tell you about the extant GSF bugs.

At some point in August, a version control error resulted in:

>The range of EMP field shrunk to a range it had in a previous version. We're all pretty sure the previous version was the right one- it was more useful versus mines with that range. When it had been buffed, it got its new range, and the tooltip was updated. On this version control bug (which is still live), it got its old range, but the tooltip stayed the same (again, also still live). We pointed this out from datamines on the PTS, and got no relief. It's still a bug today.

>Ion Missile lost some of the snare that it had. This resulted in a 12 second snare becoming 6 seconds. The tooltip and the weapon were both nerfed at the same time, so it could be deliberate, but there were no patch notes (every balance change has had patch notes).

>Many of the entries in the XML went from being useful ("deals damage over 6 seconds") to less so ("deals damage over <<1 seconds"), where the "<<1" is likely intended to be an instruction to the code to extract the value from somewhere else. But that never happened. The net effect here was that a few of the tooltips just stop. Plasma railgun, for instance, says it deals damage over (drops off). You don't see that it's supposed to say "...6 seconds. The railgun..." It's missing a whole sentence.

These changes got patched in and never fixed. 3.0 broke over a dozen abilities, but they did fix those over the next couple minipatches- but for 3.0 to break the entire GSF meta means, they didn't test it much at all.

We also have a bug where if you level sabotage probe to max and take the leftmost talent (that reduces their speed), it instead makes the move do nothing. Many players still believe that the move is just broken, when all they need to do is select the rightmost talent (which is a lesser effect than a functioning snare would be, but the only thing to pick given that the move is worthless with the left talent). This bug has been around since last June.

Now, given the level of effort in fixing these bugs, compared to writing a tutorial- what do you think is the most likely explanation for a lack of tutorial?

1- Greedy Texans in a room counting their gold, made from your compressed tears.

2- Those devs will be back to GSF later, but right now we don't have a dev team.

Some of them will pay for upgrades, few will hardly train, some will buy subs, and some will drop that part of game - easy come, easy go - their places soon will be taken by new, fresh, naive "cannon fodder".

The thing here is, the game is completely approachable. The biggest barrier the game has standing on its own is that you have to download and install SWTOR, and that's the ACTUAL "profit trick", because if you like GSF and Star Wars, you'll probably be the sort of guy they want running around on fleet and playing the ground game some. That's their hidden motive- get people logged in and playing their game. Seriously, that's as nefarious as it gets.

It's not some Machiavellian scheme. It's crystal clear that GSF was done on the side, likely at about 11 PM to 1 AM, with a few people working on a pet project, from launch till about two years ago, at which point it was deemed relevant enough for more development and to become an actual product. The devs who did it are actually and obviously very good, but it's also obvious that they are on other projects right now.

Here's how we know they aren't super interested in squeezing cash: the players who play this a lot purchase all or most of the things the game has for cartel coins- that is to say, paint jobs, blaster colors, engine colors. Cartel ships are also cosmetic, and there's existing models they could jam into more cartel ships, and they haven't done that either.

But, please, dont try to tell me, that this is a fair gameplay with honest rules - because this is only business.

No, you don't try to tell me anything about the game. It's one of the most "honest" games minigames running around right now, especially from a top studio. Super especially from EA. You can't buy power, and that's pretty relevant.

What if you had, like, all the money? Would that matter? How would that change your play and make you better, if you were willing to dump as much money into GSF as you could imagine? Would you unlock your ships a couple days faster? (nefarious scrooge mcduck plot: you spend like 8 to 12 bucks) You already have the type 1 gunship (good!) and the type 1 bomber (good!), so you need to play them and get good. The daily tokens will provide plenty of requisition on even your lesser played ships that you'll quickly even be reasonably geared (bone stock is rough, but a dozen games in and you'll have plenty of the biggest upgrades).

And why wouldn't you believe us? Why would you think you've figured out anything about GSF after a couple nights that folks who played it for over a year haven't?

Stop being silly. Use the resources, cjoin GSF, join up with other pilots.

Edited by Verain

Just speculation here, but I think I was being bypassed in the queue because there were so many full groups queuing on the Republic side. If that is how it works, then it looks like you might need to find a group to queue with to increase your odds of playing in a reasonable amount of time.

I know that groups do get priority in the queue. I've seen a few different explanations of how the matchmaking system works beyond that too, but to me it seems to decide at random who gets into matches and who gets left out.

Although OP is wrong on many levels as other players have noted, his ignorance is not unique. His attitude seems to be the prevailing attitude among many new players, which leads them to quickly drop GSF as part of their game experience. A better tutorial would do wonders for these guys who are not crazy about GSF to being with, hopefully Nemarus will be able to communicate with a dev at the cantina tour and get something across to them about an improved tutorial (consider throwing your shoe at them with the message taped to it). All servers need more players so that matchmaking can actually do something about pairing teams.

If you're gonna throw a shoe, make it one of those dumb pink fuzzy slippers. Ideally with rabbit ears.

The thing is, the ideas I linked here:

Would require very little dev time. That's explicitly why I made that thread. Obviously, a real tutorial (and a chosen wargame mode, and a couple new maps) would be hugely impactful, but require moderate dev time. A set of pve missions would be the MOST impactful, but those would essentially require creation of a new game.

Also, you are talking with players who have played thousands of games in this thread. Are you even at dozens? What are the odds that you understand the first thing about the game yet?

It is a bit dangerous to use argument like is this when discussing some topics. It is good answer in some "nerf them all" thread, but not in to discussion about tutorial. It is like saying that you will need to spend a huge amount of time to be able enjoy GSF. GSF should not give impression of hardcore simulator intended only for a few hardcore players.

Also what is sufficient number of played matches to get permission for expressing own opinion here? 1 thousand, 2 thousands...?

Not everyone have time to spend whole day by playing game. Yes, of course, they never will be (and so it´s OK) so good as some aces, but they should be able to enjoy GSF anyway. Otherwise there is no point for playing such game for lots of people.

If you're gonna throw a shoe, make it one of those dumb pink fuzzy slippers. Ideally with rabbit ears.

The thing is, the ideas I linked here:

Would require very little dev time. That's explicitly why I made that thread. Obviously, a real tutorial (and a chosen wargame mode, and a couple new maps) would be hugely impactful, but require moderate dev time. A set of pve missions would be the MOST impactful, but those would essentially require creation of a new game.

Exactly. During Havokhead's necro glory he should have bumped that thread. No one would have complained about that, it would actually be useful to keep that thread on page 1.

It is a bit dangerous to use argument like is this when discussing some topics. It is good answer in some "nerf them all" thread, but not in to discussion about tutorial.

Dude! He's not talking about the tutorial. His opinion is that the tutorial was made deliberately bad as a cash grab. And to get there, he not only started with false givens, he made a bunch of logical errors on his way. He's not a new player asking for a tutorial, he's claiming he figured out everything about the game, and somehow it's all some cheap pay to win cash grab. That's baseless.

Also what is sufficient number of played matches to get permission for expressing own opinion here? 1 thousand, 2 thousands...?

Valid opinions increase with playtime ("nerf X" needs like a thousand games to have merit, "I'd like a better tutorial" needs half a game, "It's hard to play on my connection" around a dozen), but, of course, even new players have opinions, some of which can be really valuable. But please don't conflate opinion with something someone is stating as a fact. He's stating that the tutorial is deliberately bad so that he'll spend cartel coins to convert ship to fleet, and I'm not sure what he does with that fleet because he already unlocked a type 1 gunship and a type 1 bomber so I guess maybe he wants a flashfire today instead of tomorrow I don't even knowwww...? something something pay to win

Not everyone have time to spend whole day by playing game.

Ha, you're telling me.

Maybe read what he wrote before you try to defend him. I don't jump on players for being new or asking questions.

Maybe read what he wrote before you try to defend him. I don't jump on players for being new or asking questions.

I´m not defending him. I was pointing out that argument "I played more matches than you, bow before me and obey my commands" is not the the best in some cases. In addition he had some valid points regarding things which can easily scare off new players, e.g. premade vs newbies.

Lots of people even dont know that some GSF tutorial exist. So new guy start queue, play match where can´t hit anyone but he is instantly shot down. Queue again, all repeated. No wonder such player is frustrated and talking nonsense about pay to win. But most of them just ignore GSF after such experience, only few go complain here and even less go here, check whats going on and start long way of learning how to play.

Verain:

"Dude! He's not talking about the tutorial. His opinion is that the tutorial was made deliberately bad as a cash grab. And to get there, he not only started with false givens, he made a bunch of logical errors on his way. He's not a new player asking for a tutorial, he's claiming he figured out everything about the game, and somehow it's all some cheap pay to win cash grab."

1. Im newbe with GS, but not with entire game and was writing all the time about tutorial or rather lack of that.

2. I really dont know what kind of logic do You prefer - because here there is only one:

- let`s take 2 friends - they have same amount of time, same skills and both playing only GS - one Empire, second Republic but one has cash and sub, second playing as F2P

- if they meet into battle after even 1 week, player (F2P) be "cannon fodder" with his barely upgraded scout ship

3. "Dramatic code changes would be needed for a tutorial that was really and actually solid. They would, for instance, need a whole flight engine for that, along with an AI module that doesn't exist anywhere else."

I was looking for only an option which allows You to try other ships than only scout into tutorial - this is not a problem to change scout for bomber and gunship - the same tutorial but 4 parts - a) scout, b) fighter 3) bomber, 4) gunship. Please, read my first post again.

4. GS is for "cash" - low costs, big profit - some players will pay for their ambitions, dreams, score and for easy wins vs. "cannon fodder" and EA knows that - this is well known business strategy.

Regards

Edited by Angevord

Bottom line, OP, is that this statement:

Well, sadly GS is "all about cash"

Is inaccurate. Without paying a single cent, a pilot has access to all non-cosmetic features of GSF.

My character Strïx on The Ebon Hawk has strong ships now (not yet fully upgraded, but strong enough now to make a difference), and I've never converted any requisition. Might have taken a while, but this is an RPG after all.

Galactic Starfighter is about space combat. The full game mode is playable from level 1, for free. If you're not patient enough to progress your character, that's your issue. But there's no paygate and therefore no P2W. Your position is clear, but I don't think anyone on this forum is going to agree with you.

Edited by Ymris