The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Dyes shouldnt be destroyed after removing them

tavrinDosa

You dont get charged by the money fairy for changing a barrel on a rifle in real life either. This game's take on mods is a backward-thinking credit sink.

well only when you buy the barrel and/or have someone else do it for you...but instead teh money fairy takes 40% off the top....if game took 40% off the top for dailies or GTN sales every time, they would probably have fewer credit sinks.

edit: and that only goes for the middle group...if you already have over a million credits, they take off 60%

if you're f2p....they just give you free credits until you are capped (taken obviously from the extra 20% taken from the upper level chars).

Edited by DOHboy

You dont get charged by the money fairy for changing a barrel on a rifle in real life either. This game's take on mods is a backward-thinking credit sink.

Sure you do. You have to "procure" a new barrel somehow. They aren't just lying on the ground and the most common way is to PURCHASE a barrel before you swap it out. Now, being charged for pulling one out? I'd have to agree there. You never know how many +2 endurance barrels you're going to need.

Sure you do. You have to "procure" a new barrel somehow. They aren't just lying on the ground and the most common way is to PURCHASE a barrel before you swap it out. Now, being charged for pulling one out? I'd have to agree there. You never know how many +2 endurance barrels you're going to need.

Are you serious bro?

Im OBVIOUSLY talking about after you have already acquired a barrel.

So say you have 1000 dollars in your pocket and you just take off your old barrel, is 500 dollars gone when you check your pockets that next moment?

Are you serious bro?

Im OBVIOUSLY talking about after you have already acquired a barrel.

So say you have 1000 dollars in your pocket and you just take off your old barrel, is 500 dollars gone when you check your pockets that next moment?

Come on man, you're trying to compare SWTOR to real life. The money costs to move stuff over (which at level 60 is what, like 10k which is nothing) is built into the game to remove credits out of circulation. Little things like that, training, repairing, Strongholds, etc., are all there to help prevent inflation.

Back to the original point, the Black/Black, Black/White, White/White dyes are a luxury item. They wouldn't be as special if everyone was running around with them. Sorry.

LOTRO's dyes are little pots and you can get several uses out of them, if I remember right. I don't see why our dyes couldn't have been implemented in a similar way. Right now, some dyes are so exclusive that it borders on the bizarre. I had a white and pink dye which I never used, because I simply couldn't decide which outfit to put it in, and knowing that I had one chance to get it right and one chance only kind of stressed me out. :o So I kept holding onto it, waiting for the "perfect" outfit to come along. White/white and black/black? Forget it. I can never imagine wanting a dye so badly that i would pay that much for it. It's just crazy. But a dye with 2-3 uses? I might consider that.

If you're that indecisive and it stresses you out that much, just sell the dye and pocket the credits.

The market has established a value on these items based upon the demand for them and the available supply. If BioWare changed the dyes to allow multiple uses of one kit as you suggest, the market would likely reflect this change as well. So instead of paying 1 million credits for a single use item, you would pay 3 million credits for the same item that could be used 3 times.

I like the idea, but it wouldn't change the nature of the "issue" people have with the prices.

That said, I think its a little sad that people want to complain about the prices of a rare item that has considerable demand. Its a commodity item as well as a cosmetic item. Nobody needs one and nobody's experience in the game is diminished by not having one. I see complaining about the price and rarity of the items in the same way I see a 16 year old child who complains because his lower middle class family can't afford to buy him a Porsche for his birthday.

Just because you can't afford something you want doesn't mean the item is over-priced.

Edited by Orizuru

Hm. Personally I don't think that Bioware depends on the market price of dyes to find a way to sell cartel packs. But I don't want to get into a discussion about that.

I think the OP is right, but with the additional adjustment that the option to "match color with chest piece" should be removed if reusable dyes were made reusable.

Hm. Personally I don't think that Bioware depends on the market price of dyes to find a way to sell cartel packs. But I don't want to get into a discussion about that.

I think the OP is right, but with the additional adjustment that the option to "match color with chest piece" should be removed if reusable dyes were made reusable.

You're going to have to explain your logic behind this as I'm failing to see any at all. Why does being able to match the rest of your armor to your chest piece even matter in a discussion of making Dyes removable without destroying them?

this frustrates me because the prices are so high on the GTN for normal choices like black dyes or white ones and frankly, being a subscriber, i shouldn't have to buy cartel packs constantly to hope i get these dyes. im not saying give me free dyes but after i spend a good chunk of credits or coins to get these dyes, i should be able to keep them. otherwise its just an obvious strategy to sink credits and by cartel coins.

its just an obvious strategy to sink credits and by cartel coins.

^ Nailed it.

You're going to have to explain your logic behind this as I'm failing to see any at all. Why does being able to match the rest of your armor to your chest piece even matter in a discussion of making Dyes removable without destroying them?

It has influence on the demand and consequently the in-game price of dyes. It also affects how many dyes a player needs to customize a given outfit.

Edited by Rabenschwinge