The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Dyes shouldnt be destroyed after removing them

tavrinDosa

this frustrates me because the prices are so high on the GTN for normal choices like black dyes or white ones and frankly, being a subscriber, i shouldn't have to buy cartel packs constantly to hope i get these dyes. im not saying give me free dyes but after i spend a good chunk of credits or coins to get these dyes, i should be able to keep them. otherwise its just an obvious strategy to sink credits and by cartel coins.

this frustrates me because the prices are so high on the GTN for normal choices like black dyes or white ones and frankly, being a subscriber, i shouldn't have to buy cartel packs constantly to hope i get these dyes. im not saying give me free dyes but after i spend a good chunk of credits or coins to get these dyes, i should be able to keep them. otherwise its just an obvious strategy to sink credits and by cartel coins.

Go and dye a white t-shirt blue and tell how much of the dye you can remove and re-use.

Dyes are consumables. The reason those black and white dyes are so expensive is that they are rare, highly desired and consumable. The amount of credits that can be made for selling even a single black or white dye is what keeps people buying those gambling packs. People buying those gambling dye packs is part of what generates revenue for BW and keeps this game going.

Allowing those dyes to be reused reduces demand for those dyes, which in turn reduces the return on investment for those selling those dyes. Lower prices for those dyes leads to fewer players purchasing those gambling dye packs and reduced revenue for BW.

I would not expect BW to do anything to shoot themselves in the foot with regards to CM revenue.

If you do not want to buy the gambling packs hoping to get those black or white dyes, then you can either buy those dyes you wish from the GTN at the going prices, or wait until they are avaialable for direct purchase from the CM.

Black and white dyes are not "normal" at all. If you are willing to settle for less popular colors, they do not have to be expensive. And as the previous poster stated, you can't re-use dyes in real life. Why should you expect to here?

Go and dye a white t-shirt blue and tell how much of the dye you can remove and re-use. [....]

We can't use the force or lightsabers either, IRL. This is the digital world, there is no such restrictions. Nor is it a typical FPS like COD/BF/Whatever where realism is important.

Not that I disagree with dyes being one use only, but the reality excuse doesn't work.

In real life people can't jump 50 feet through the air, either.

True.

Ratajack is nonetheless correct from a financial angle. While I'd really like to be able to re-use all-black or all-white dyes, I want the game to stay afloat even more. I'm willing to settle for "Black and dark red" (for example) as an alternative color, as I'm not willing to pay the ridiculous asking prices for the single-shade variety, but if someone can put the dyes up for sale and get their huge credit asking price, more power to them. That's the free market in action.

I think the DYE's should be unlocked in the Cartel Collections. That way you get that UBER one you love and then apply it to ANY parts/pieces of that characters gear. (NOTE: Destroyed if you removed still, but just make more).

Of course it would be BOUND the minute you pull from collections like crystals, but you can't pull out of gear still.

I think they has DRAMATIC impact to the up and coming Costume Designer as well. People are going to be peeved that the BLACK DYE they paid crap tons for is no longer available.

So I'd suggest we make it unlockable account wide. I shouldn't have to buy it several times to have on multiple characters.

In fact.. I WON'T buy it at all should be a good indicator. But a lot of people with money to burn just shop away.. LOL

Dyes shouldn't be included in packs. They should be constantly present in the Cartel Market in the Dye category. It would decrease their prices on GTN but Bioware would still get its revenue and more players would be happy with spending 500-1000cc (depending on the dye color) rather than 6 million credits for black-black dye. Edited by PavSalco

Dyes shouldn't be included in packs. They should be constantly present in the Cartel Market in the Dye category. It would decrease their prices on GTN but Bioware would still get its revenue and more players would be happy with spending 500-1000cc (depending on the dye color) rather than 6 million credits for black-black dye.

^ This please

Dyes shouldn't be included in packs. They should be constantly present in the Cartel Market in the Dye category. It would decrease their prices on GTN but Bioware would still get its revenue and more players would be happy with spending 500-1000cc (depending on the dye color) rather than 6 million credits for black-black dye.

they do put the dyes on the CM from time to time. The point is to make them RARE lest we have bunch of emo goth jedi running around in black everything because black is the new cool...

The black/black usually run around 2000CC and when they are up there are inevitably posts complaining about 1) the cost 2) consumable

it isn't going to change, they are meant to be rare and expensive to prevent everyone running around being as special black snowflake just like everyone else. Thus they are both expensive and show up rarely on the CM.

The point is to make them RARE lest we have bunch of emo goth jedi running around in black everything because black is the new cool...

Why does it matter who runs around in what? It's a cosmetic feature, it doesn't affect your gameplay at all. Not saying I agree or disagree with the OPs points but if you think the reason they're rare is to keep people from being "emo goth jedi" or whatever else you find unappealing, that's extremely silly. The more probable reason isn't much better and I can't say I agree with the current way dyes are handled, but if people are willing to buy them enough that it's still a thing then more power to them. It's cosmetic.

Why does it matter who runs around in what? It's a cosmetic feature, it doesn't affect your gameplay at all. Not saying I agree or disagree with the OPs points but if you think the reason they're rare is to keep people from being "emo goth jedi" or whatever else you find unappealing, that's extremely silly. The more probable reason isn't much better and I can't say I agree with the current way dyes are handled, but if people are willing to buy them enough that it's still a thing then more power to them. It's cosmetic.

bioware knows they are in demand, and bioware that people who REALLY want the black/black will find away. But they don't want people running around in nothing but black. So the best of both worlds make them expensive to account for rarity (since they are extremely rare in the packs). So as to not devalue those dropped from packs they make the individually purchases ones at a price high enough to ensure not many are purchased and that they are not reusable.

since they are rare, people demand them more, thus ensuring they can charge a premium for them. otherwise if they were available on collections or as a cheap individual purchase, if they drop out of the packs they are essentially worthless and would need to rework the drop rates.

bioware knows they are in demand, and bioware that people who REALLY want the black/black will find away. But they don't want people running around in nothing but black. So the best of both worlds make them expensive to account for rarity (since they are extremely rare in the packs). So as to not devalue those dropped from packs they make the individually purchases ones at a price high enough to ensure not many are purchased and that they are not reusable.

I think the bolded part is more the case than the bit that follows. As far as Bioware is concerned I'd bet they'd love if everybody was running around in nothing but black 'cause it'd mean a lot of dye packs/2000CC dyes were purchased somewhere along the line and they made a bunch of revenue on it. That's obviously a bit extreme but it's more the popularity than Bioware not wanting everybody running around in black. Like you said, they know people will pay more to run around in black so they charge more for the black dyes.

I agree with you on the value as it stands at the moment though. Making changes like that with collections or dye-destruction would require a lot more work than just making them collectable/reusable, 'cause as you mention it'd mess with the value significantly. I don't think there's really an easy fix for it without having done the system differently from the start.

Edited by The-Kaitou-Kid

LOTRO's dyes are little pots and you can get several uses out of them, if I remember right. I don't see why our dyes couldn't have been implemented in a similar way. Right now, some dyes are so exclusive that it borders on the bizarre. I had a white and pink dye which I never used, because I simply couldn't decide which outfit to put it in, and knowing that I had one chance to get it right and one chance only kind of stressed me out. :o So I kept holding onto it, waiting for the "perfect" outfit to come along. White/white and black/black? Forget it. I can never imagine wanting a dye so badly that i would pay that much for it. It's just crazy. But a dye with 2-3 uses? I might consider that.

I think the DYE model we have today is terrible.

It's a CM item and should be unlocked via Collections so multiple copies can be recreated (Bound of course).

what about the non CM dyes? should those also be in collections and unlockable?

No matter how much you explain, ground, or reason it... there will always be people who insist on defending the political of high price at all costs by BW.

I agree that making reusable dyes is not the best alternative because it would certainly cause a great impact on the market and maybe will make them no longer good trading currencies.

But also, a system for use-reuse limit might help. A system for conditioning the dyes, for example, re-using two or three times and after the last use, be destroyed if removed, then once and for all.

Alternatively, guaranteeing the reuse of 5 to 10 times, but the removal condition of a high price... such as 500k or more.

Oh, and the arguments and comparisons with things in real life that I have read in some reviews can not be more ridiculous. This here is a game, is virtual. There is no sense in comparing with real things. It is a foolish argument from who don't know what to write and just want to defend this policy of high-price-less-benefit

This is my opinion and idea.

I hope you enjoy. If you don't, I really don't care about what you think.

go and dye a white t-shirt blue and tell how much of the dye you can remove and re-use.

Dyes are consumables. The reason those black and white dyes are so expensive is that they are rare, highly desired and consumable. The amount of credits that can be made for selling even a single black or white dye is what keeps people buying those gambling packs. People buying those gambling dye packs is part of what generates revenue for bw and keeps this game going.

Allowing those dyes to be reused reduces demand for those dyes, which in turn reduces the return on investment for those selling those dyes. Lower prices for those dyes leads to fewer players purchasing those gambling dye packs and reduced revenue for bw.

I would not expect bw to do anything to shoot themselves in the foot with regards to cm revenue.

If you do not want to buy the gambling packs hoping to get those black or white dyes, then you can either buy those dyes you wish from the gtn at the going prices, or wait until they are avaialable for direct purchase from the cm.

+1000

Go and dye a white t-shirt blue and tell how much of the dye you can remove and re-use.

Dyes are consumables. The reason those black and white dyes are so expensive is that they are rare, highly desired and consumable. The amount of credits that can be made for selling even a single black or white dye is what keeps people buying those gambling packs. People buying those gambling dye packs is part of what generates revenue for BW and keeps this game going.

Allowing those dyes to be reused reduces demand for those dyes, which in turn reduces the return on investment for those selling those dyes. Lower prices for those dyes leads to fewer players purchasing those gambling dye packs and reduced revenue for BW.

I would not expect BW to do anything to shoot themselves in the foot with regards to CM revenue.

If you do not want to buy the gambling packs hoping to get those black or white dyes, then you can either buy those dyes you wish from the GTN at the going prices, or wait until they are avaialable for direct purchase from the CM.

You dont get charged by the money fairy for changing a barrel on a rifle in real life either. This game's take on mods is a backward-thinking credit sink.