So when is this going to be fixed?

Hungarycell

@Hockaday

Just checked now that you said it.

It used at 99% (or i guess 100% but AIda doesnt show it as) all the time.

Screens:

http://i.imgur.com/XpkJM2r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7dOxcau.jpg

Did you try to force your GPU to max Load for Swtor, fixed it pretty nicely for me, and i too have a gtx 970. I Have this problem with a lot of "older games" where my gpu doesnt feel the need to clock itself up properly, forcing it to max load in these games fixes that. New games no problem

How do i force that?

Because if you mean changing it to max settings, no it wont help.

The high shadows with the later on low GPU usage will make it worse.

Edited by Hungarycell

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go into your Nvidia control panel (rightclick on gforce experience icon in the task bar) there should be a 3D Settings option (i dont know exactly how its called since im german and its german for me :p) there you can set GLOBAL settings for all games (like force VSYNC and stuff) and GAME SETTINGS for EVERY game itself) just search for the star wars launcher or add it by yourself. Then scroll through the settings until you reach power management (????) and set it to max load. Restart game and test.

edit: to add it doesnt fix everything that it runs 60fps+ but it stays at least on playable :rolleyes: 30 fps or more

Edited by hunterlue

go into your Nvidia control panel (rightclick on gforce experience icon in the task bar) there should be a 3D Settings option (i dont know exactly how its called since im german and its german for me :p) there you can set GLOBAL settings for all games (like force VSYNC and stuff) and GAME SETTINGS for EVERY game itself) just search for the star wars launcher or add it by yourself. Then scroll through the settings until you reach power management (????) and set it to max load. Restart game and test.

Oh.

I've already done that.

I dont know, how i can explain this but my problem is heavily combat/abilities related.

I.e: Now i turned every to the maximum, shadows map at maximum and everything else.

GPU usage sits around 50%.

Now if i use Lacerate with my assassin the FPS drops and so does the GPU usage.

And this happens instantly when combat happens.

Just attacked a random enemy with Shock and GPU usage from 57% went down to 40%.

FPS also went down from 90 to ~60-70.

For a start, theres more than 10 people on the screen - the game engine can't do anything more than 5 in combat at any given time. Just ask anyone who tried to PvP when Ilum broke.

secondly, the game hasn't been optimised. Never has, never will.

This is a useless comment. I've handled 16 players on my screen fighting at the same time fine, and maintained a FPS of around 60. I think the client is just optimized better for different setups.

My setup:

(at work, so just copying off of the last invoice)

-GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

-AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor

-XFX RADEON Double D R9 280X 1000MHz BOOST Ready 3GB DDR5 2XmDP HDMI 2XDVI Graphics Cards R9-280X-TDFD

-Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Blue (HX318C10FK2/16)

I run a 850W platinum Antec PSU @~94% eff, but can't remember the model for the life of me.

I also don't run my game off of my SSD. I run it of a WD Black 1TB I use for all my mid range games. I don't see a reason why this game needs to be put on a SSD except for slightly faster loading of areas. Performance wise it doesn't really do anything for you.

i got GraphicsDeviceId = 5058

i can pm you my settings if you like maybe there is sth i have different?

I can try, but i doubt it does any difference.

I was curious because that ID isnt even an nvidia card's ID and i have the same...

i have the 970 for 2 weeks now before that i had an amd Hd 7950, kinda runs the same now just like with the 7950.

Nah, this is some UI related problem i have.

Using an ability, or just tabbing between targets decreases GPU usage which decreases my FPS.

Edited by Hungarycell

i have the 970 for 2 weeks now before that i had an amd Hd 7950, kinda runs the same now just like with the 7950.

Running SLI 980 and the game runs the same as my AMD 7870 which was a slight increase over my 5850 before that. Its just sad that even new hardware cannot push this game any further.

This will be fixed with the 4.0 expansion. they need time, things cant be fixed overnight.

You are funny. This will never be fixed. They don't seem to have the man power / knowledge.

Specs are:

i5-2500k OC'd to 4.2GHz

6870 2GB

8GB Ram, etc etc.

I'm running the same CPU and Overclock with 2 SSDs (1 for windows and 1 for swtor) w/16gb Ram and I saw almost no FPS increase with a my 980. So I dont think the nex-gen GPU's will improve this games performance.

Edited by Hupp
lack of optimism

Running SLI 980 and the game runs the same as my AMD 7870 which was a slight increase over my 5850 before that. Its just sad that even new hardware cannot push this game any further.

You are funny. This will never be fixed. They don't seem to have the man power / knowledge.

I'm running the same CPU and Overclock with 2 SSDs (1 for windows and 1 for swtor) w/16gb Ram and I saw almost no FPS increase with a my 980. So I dont think the nex-gen GPU's will improve this games performance.

Hupp its not a matter of knowledge or time, its a matter of practicality. The issue with SWTOR, in terms of fps is that the game is CPU heavy and single threaded. Everything is built on this paradigm. You would get better performance upgrades with SWTOR upgrading your CPU to one with say 12mb of cache than getting a kicking GPU. People keep saying "my GPU" when the GPU is not as important for a game like SWTOR because of the engine.

If they changed the engine and made it multi-core friendly they would also have to recode much of the game as a whole. In essence they would be making a new game. It makes no sense to basically rewrite what is now an old game, you simply learn from your mistake when u make the new one.

They can of course do some optimizations. But these will be fairly limited changes and will thus have fairly limited effects. This is of course just about the fps issue. Lag is something completely different. A fair amount of the lag, especially ability lag, seems new with 3.0. That is something they can likely fix but there is A LOT of code to go through to figure out what change they made is causing that.

Edited by Ghisallo

From what I've seen it's your CPU power that's really going to get the performance out of this game. It's not hyper threaded though so only solutions are to get really expensive highly clocked cpu's or try overclocking yourself. Not saying a GPU doesn't help, but as most have noticed, it's usually not the bottleneck.

From what I've seen it's your CPU power that's really going to get the performance out of this game. It's not hyper threaded though so only solutions are to get really expensive highly clocked cpu's or try overclocking yourself. Not saying a GPU doesn't help, but as most have noticed, it's usually not the bottleneck.

It's not even the GHz of the CPU it is the Cache. A 6mb i7 is actually a downgrade from an i5 with 8mb.

Tbh I think it is a generational thing. I grew up on these CPU heavy games because when I started gaming there really wasn't a dedicated graphics card and these engines were also designed around single and dual core processors. Younger players are used to games that make heavy use of graphics cards and multi-core technology so they just assume that any new game is designed around this. Often with MMOs they are wrong. An MMO engine has to take into account A LOT of stuff your SP game, even with a multi-player option, do not have to deal with. So they often end up running on "legacy" engines.

As much as SWTOR is the first game to use this engine... the engine's development started in the Late 90's and it was winning trade show awards in the mid 2000's. So really this engine is as old as WoW, EQ2 etc. It is basically (in computer terms) like taking an engine from a car built in 1999 and putting inside a body that looks like it was designed in 2010.

If you don't mind me asking, what brand GPU do you have (as in ASUS, Sapphire or w/e) and PSU (and how old is it?) do you have?

Also could you show us a bit more of your task manager, as in more of the active processes and ordered on Memory usage?

In addition to earlier posts, GW2 also makes use of multithreading, so unfortunately also that game, even though it's an MMO, can't be compared to SWTOR in this setting.

Edited by Diagorias

2500K and SLI 980s seems like an odd pairing to me. You're likely bottlenecked on the cpu often and won't be seeing much performance increase over a similar rig using a single GTX 960. I've seen cpu bottlenecks on my 2600K with a single GTX 770.

It's not even the GHz of the CPU it is the Cache. A 6mb i7 is actually a downgrade from an i5 with 8mb.

Tbh I think it is a generational thing. I grew up on these CPU heavy games because when I started gaming there really wasn't a dedicated graphics card and these engines were also designed around single and dual core processors. Younger players are used to games that make heavy use of graphics cards and multi-core technology so they just assume that any new game is designed around this. Often with MMOs they are wrong. An MMO engine has to take into account A LOT of stuff your SP game, even with a multi-player option, do not have to deal with. So they often end up running on "legacy" engines.

As much as SWTOR is the first game to use this engine... the engine's development started in the Late 90's and it was winning trade show awards in the mid 2000's. So really this engine is as old as WoW, EQ2 etc. It is basically (in computer terms) like taking an engine from a car built in 1999 and putting inside a body that looks like it was designed in 2010.

I found this to be very true as well. Up until about 15 months ago, I ran this game perfectly with a Core2 Duo overclocked to 4.3 GHZ and a very old video card. Of course, that poor old CPU was starting to give out due to the heavy OC, but a good example of this games' CPU dependency.

Like you, I started gaming long, long before graphics cards even existed and have therefore put heavy emphasis on CPU. Maybe old fashioned for modern games, but pays off when playing on a creaky old engine like SWTOR!

I found this to be very true as well. Up until about 15 months ago, I ran this game perfectly with a Core2 Duo overclocked to 4.3 GHZ and a very old video card. Of course, that poor old CPU was starting to give out due to the heavy OC, but a good example of this games' CPU dependency.

Like you, I started gaming long, long before graphics cards even existed and have therefore put heavy emphasis on CPU. Maybe old fashioned for modern games, but pays off when playing on a creaky old engine like SWTOR!

Its not easy to kill some of those old Core 2 Duo chips.

I have an old Wolfdale E8500 that is overclocked to 5.2 gHz on air cooling that is still going strong today. That rig is using a GTX 265 graphics card and still runs SWTOR almost as well as my newer rigs.

I'm sorry to hear your Core 2 chip is failing. Those were some of the best chips every made for overclocking.

Edited by Orizuru

Nah, this is some UI related problem i have.

Using an ability, or just tabbing between targets decreases GPU usage which decreases my FPS.

You're still missing the critical point here:

Your GPU usage and FPS goes down... because something else is holding it back. Namely, your GPU is waiting for your CPU to finish handling animations/network traffic and figure out what the next frame is supposed to look like.

In SWTOR at least, your CPU and GPU are not fully independent. If your CPU has to work to load data, it will hold up your GPU in rendering frames as well. While there certainly are games that handle that better, SWTOR Isn't one of them. You see drops in GPU utilization when there are a lot of abilities firing because your CPU needs to exchange a lot of information with the server and load animations and sounds. While its doing that, it appears that its not sending render commands to the GPU.

Have you Completly uninstalled/removed all traces of SWTOR and BITRaider?

I have not read all the post's..just my 2 cents.

You should run 60fps none stop. I can only lean towards something on your end..

Ran the some on Win8 x64.

Then on fresh Win7 x64 install

Then on fresh Win8 x64 install.

So i guess i did.

@Malastare

A game that has a Intel Dual Core @2ghz as a minimum CPU requirement should at least keep stable 30fps on LOWEST settings with my i5 at @3,4ghz, which is actually running with turbo around 3,7-3,8ghz.

It is still an SWTOR related problem, because only this game has this problem.

Especially since im just one of the few hundred people who voiced their complaints on the forum.

Let alone those who cant or just dont.

You also missed the part where i posted that only SWTOR was using my whole PC. There is nothing else "holding it back".

http://i.imgur.com/GZG5JeG.jpg

Or is it that hard to accept that just because the game runs good for you, its still has a serious problem?

Edited by Hungarycell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.