Just blew $$18 million creds...

Joonbeams

phishing involves deceiving someone into thinking a legitimate link or offer is bonafide.

this involves buyers in a videogame not intelligent enough to understand how numbers work, or simply not caring enough to look.

Edited by Pagy

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it;s like saying 999 and 99 appear similar.

they have 9's in them.

thinking they look similar tells me that they should sit in a 2nd/3rd grade classrom

now, 984943217 and 9849433217 look similar, this is why we use delimiters as does the GTN....984,943,217 vs 9,849,433,217. now they look completely different.

When separated by the space the GTN adds in, they look similar, even with delimiters.

When separated by the space the GTN adds in, they look similar, even with delimiters.
i dont know anyone that has more than a 3rd grade education can think those numbers look similar under any circumstance given the fact that delimiters are used.

phishing involves deceiving someone into thinking a legitimate link or offer is bonafide.

this involves buyers in a videogame not intelligent enough to understand how numbers work, or simply not caring enough to look.

Phishing involves people not being intelligent enough to understand how links work, or simply not caring enough to look. As much as the rest might look legitimate, they can't spoof a real website's address. Most of the ones I've seen don't even try to look legitimate, it's usually some garbled mess of a domain address. Anyone can take 10 seconds to verify a link before clicking it, and yet they still click them.

Then there are also the ones that are just "hey click me".

Edited by MillionsKNives

i dont know anyone that has more than a 3rd grade education can think those numbers look similar under any circumstance given the fact that delimiters are used.

And I don't believe that anyone with more than a 2nd grade education could deny they look similar. 9's are 9's...of course they're freaking similar. How many there are is irrelevant to whether they look similar or not, a string of 9's is still a string of 9's.

Phishing involves people not being intelligent enough to understand how links work, or simply not caring enough to look. As much as the rest might look legitimate, they can't spoof a real website's address. Most of the ones I've seen don't even try to look legitimate, it's usually some garbled mess of a domain address. Anyone can take 10 seconds to verify a link before clicking it, and yet they still click them.

Then there are also the ones that are just "hey click me".

the act of hiding the link address under false pretenses is what makes it a scam.

in this gtn case, we are using readily visible numbers that can only mean one value. numbers can't lie; its an absolute value.

the act of hiding the link address under false pretenses is what makes it a scam.

in this gtn case, we are using readily visible numbers that can only mean one value. numbers can't lie; its an absolute value.

well when you get into advance quatum mechanics the numbers can lie as the propertys of atoms change depending on if there observed or not or some physicist at cern was stoned off his *** when they came up with the theory:D

so theroreticly numbers aren't absolute because the value changes depending on if its being measured maybe the gtn is like a subatomic particle its either that or people are making stupid mistakes and whats more probable really?

The listings on the GTN are done under false pretenses too. They don't actually expect you to buy it because you think it's worth the amount they're selling it for. They're selling it under the assumption that people will click it without realizing that it's actually much higher than they thought.

Numbers can't lie, but the brain can. People are reading the wrong numbers pretty often if accounts are to be believed, and people are taking advantage of that by pricing some items accordingly. Hoping to scam a buyer who's not being careful.

The listings on the GTN are done under false pretenses too. They don't actually expect you to buy it because you think it's worth the amount they're selling it for. They're selling it under the assumption that people will click it without realizing that it's actually much higher than they thought.

Numbers can't lie, but the brain can. People are reading the wrong numbers pretty often if accounts are to be believed, and people are taking advantage of that by pricing some items accordingly. Hoping to scam a buyer who's not being careful.

By the logic presented here, the one doing the scam is the buyer's brain. :p

well when you get into advance quatum mechanics the numbers can lie as the propertys of atoms change depending on if there observed or not or some physicist at cern was stoned off his *** when they came up with the theory:D

so theroreticly numbers aren't absolute because the value changes depending on if its being measured maybe the gtn is like a subatomic particle its either that or people are making stupid mistakes and whats more probable really?

no, numbers dont change, data does.

if the data is misrepresented, then its a case of using an incorrect number. the number itself is an absolute value whether its wrong or not.

Thanks for pointing out how superior you are to those who fall for this. Does it make you feel better about yourself?

Yes it does. Knowing that I can consistently tell the difference between a group of two digits and three digits gives me great pride in my first-grade numeracy ability.

By the logic presented here, the one doing the scam is the buyer's brain.

Maybe. But ''scammers'' know how a buyer's brain might work when latter is distracted. So he siezes the opportunity.

The people are ridiculously stubborn here. S-people( let's say it's not proven that they scam, so let it be a codename ) put greens on GTN with 1M+ prices KNOWING that people in haste, drunk people or people distracted by other matters( surely, for our ''L2READ OMG STUPID''© saying guys mentioned groups of people don't exist since all they say are ''ABSENT MATH SKILLS'' and ''ABSENT READING SKILLS'' ) might buy this and lose a lot of money( let's call them V-people ). HOW COME S-people are completely innocent?

To disprove the ridiculous statement about S-people's innocence here's the example. Let's say no S-people were putting cheap things on GTN for huge prices with this cunning use of points and commas. Would V-people spend a lot of money on useless items in this case? Not at all.

Hoping to scam a buyer who's not being careful.

QFT

At least now they are opening themselves the the possibility that the buyer might actually have to pay attention to what they're doing.

Anyone else nervous about this person being at a controlled intersection? I mean, it's obviously a scam if the city provides a sign and a limit line but this person rolls through because letters are confusing and they were wondering where all of the "TOPS" are.

QFT

At least now they are opening themselves the the possibility that the buyer might actually have to pay attention to what they're doing.

Anyone else nervous about this person being at a controlled intersection? I mean, it's obviously a scam if the city provides a sign and a limit line but this person rolls through because letters are confusing and they were wondering where all of the "TOPS" are.

Interesting you should mention that. I imagine it would shock you to learn the amount of time and money that has been devoted to figuring out the best font, coloring, and many other aspects of how road signs are designed to minimize exactly the scenario you just described.

In contrast, I only advocate for a one or two line change in their UI to help address this problem.

you can't simultaneously not care enough to check a price then care about paying a high price.

pick one

They did check a price, or are you suggesting that they opened the GTN and clicked the first thing they found and then came here to complain about it? They checked the price, thought it was lower than it really was and bought it. It turned out it was higher and they got upset, rightfully so. Is it their fault for not checking close enough, yes. But to say that because they made a mistake they're not entitled to be upset that's ridiculous. Of course they care they paid too much.

And I don't believe that anyone with more than a 2nd grade education could deny they look similar. 9's are 9's...of course they're freaking similar. How many there are is irrelevant to whether they look similar or not, a string of 9's is still a string of 9's.

So you are saying 9,999.99 is "similar" to 99,999.99. The second number is roughly 10x the first number. Again, how are people getting 1,666.66 confused with 1,666,666? 2 numerals to the right of the rightmost "thing" versus 3 numerals to the right of the rightmost "thing."

So you're saying 9,999.99 looks the same (notice the 1-3-2 grouping) as 999,999 (notice the 3-3 grouping)?

And it would be my fault if you bought at the second price instead of the first because you apparently ignore all delimiters, decimal points and grouping and you just see a string of six 9s?

So you are saying 9,999.99 is "similar" to 99,999.99. The second number is roughly 10x the first number. Again, how are people getting 1,666.66 confused with 1,666,666? 2 numerals to the right of the rightmost "thing" versus 3 numerals to the right of the rightmost "thing."

Yes. Groups of the #9. That's similar. Even the 1,666.66 looks similar to 1.666,666.

I don't know how they're getting confused but my guess is that it is likely they are getting confused because they're not accustomed to seeing decimals in this games currency, since the GTN is the only place they ever appear, and only on stacks of items, nowhere else that I can think of.

So you're saying 9,999.99 looks the same (notice the 1-3-2 grouping) as 999,999 (notice the 3-3 grouping)?
No, I said SIMILAR. I never said same.

No, I said SIMILAR. I never said same.

I think different clusters and delimiters provide key differences that provide sufficient distinction; especially when taking into consideration the geometric or matrix considerations of the term.

Man what have we all started!

Regarding similarities, I just go back to just because it looks clear as day to one person doesn't mean it's clear as day to another. Not sure why people don't think people might get confused. Hell what about this whole gold/white or black/blue dress fiasco?

Except everyone agreed the shape of the dress was the same.

I don't think the color of the GTN numbers has been the target of any heat regarding this.

Edited by azudelphi

Except everyone agreed the shape of the dress was the same.

I don't think the color of the GTN numbers has been the target of any heat regarding this.

The point was you can look at the same thing and see something different. Perhaps a better example would be 10 witnesses at a crime scene giving ten different accounts of what happened. This happened with the case in Ferguson more or less.

You could argue people lied, but usually the witnesses aren't and they actually believe what say be it real or perceived.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.