Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Server Sharding is Bad, but Only Temporary - Source Included

Jhonen

http://torwars.com/2011/09/09/zoeller-on-launch-day-world-instancing-dealing-with-gankers/

Just wanted to put this here since most people don't seem to know it's only a temporary measure.

It won't last forever guys.

There is no doubt that after BioWare sees the backlash from the community, they'll remove sharding on servers and everybody can be happy. :)

Hope this puts some fears to rest, or at least helps people cope.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://torwars.com/2011/09/09/zoeller-on-launch-day-world-instancing-dealing-with-gankers/

Just wanted to put this here since most people don't seem to know it's only a temporary measure.

It won't last forever guys.

There is no doubt that after BioWare sees the backlash from the community, they'll remove sharding on servers and everybody can be happy. :)

Hope this puts some fears to rest, or at least helps people cope.

You mean that one day I can stand in line for quest clickies! Yeah boyyy!

This.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Sucks to be MMO devs.

It really does, but for the most part, I think BioWare has done a fine job with ToR.

A lot of tweaks and patches need to happen, but they will eventually.

And in the long haul, after they remove sharding it should help the community for the better.

Sure you'll have to wait in line at points to murder X amount of Y, but that's half the fun of an MMORPG (at least for me) :)

theres a compromise to be made if its possible.

sharding on pve servers, less or no sharding on pvp servers.

people who like to play with friends against the game wont have to wait in line for questing. While those who like to play with the game against their rivals have opportunities to harass their neighbors.

Right now, there is no instancing on tatooine and I'm one of 4 players on that current planet. I've yet to ever see an empire character running around the world.

Servers are empty. You're either on a full to the max server or an empty one. And event he full ones you stop seeing people once you leave nar shadaa then it's always empty.

Servers just feel like they artificially made the player caps low on them to purposely induce ques to make it look like the game has more attention then it really does.

Right now, there is no instancing on tatooine and I'm one of 4 players on that current planet. I've yet to ever see an empire character running around the world.

Servers are empty. You're either on a full to the max server or an empty one. And event he full ones you stop seeing people once you leave nar shadaa then it's always empty.

Servers just feel like they artificially made the player caps low on them to purposely induce ques to make it look like the game has more attention then it really does.

Mmhmm.

I'm sure the 1.5 million subscribers has nothing to do with that.

I really hope BioWare stays on top of this, and reads the forum posts with some distance...

Sharding at launch, or launch-week, hell even the first two weeks after launch, was indispensable. Picture this. You get the game, decide to roll like many others a Jedi. Only when you have to start killing fleshraiders, hundreds of people are already there. You can't even manage two kills. What happens? You quickly get bored, you cannot play the game.

Statistically, A good majority of the players that started in early access or on launch day are now past the starting world, and even the second one. The next worlds are much bigger. BioWare might start by removing shards on the starting planets for example.

The story is good here, but I'd really like to see more of an MMO feel, and not just a few random group quests. It just doesn't feel like a community. I don't know why they do so much to try to preserve the server community feel, when there isn't anything to actually develop it in the first place. You rarely see anyone servers are small, instanced whenever you get a decent number.

I really hope BioWare stays on top of this, and reads the forum posts with some distance...

Sharding at launch, or launch-week, hell even the first two weeks after launch, was indispensable. Picture this. You get the game, decide to roll like many others a Jedi. Only when you have to start killing fleshraiders, hundreds of people are already there. You can't even manage two kills. What happens? You quickly get bored, you cannot play the game.

Statistically, A good majority of the players that started in early access or on launch day are now past the starting world, and even the second one. The next worlds are much bigger. BioWare might start by removing shards on the starting planets for example.

you said Jedi instead of Siths, your argument is invalid.

xD jocking, i see your point, but this problem seems far even by now, since there are a lot of servers on Standard, wich means that they have less then 1k player