UI killing FPS: This should be priority #1 to fix

Cupelixx

I have the same problem and I run the game with a beaast of a computer. Tried disabling SLI, made tweaks in the nvidia settings, played on low, changed modes...nothing worked. To be honest, I'm not really sure if this is an UI issue, yes the UI plays a role somwhat (since it micro-freezes your game when you open a menu when you run for example), but I think only 16 man content is affected greatly.

For me, besides ranked warzones, in pvp, everything else is pretty unplayable.

I don't do operations so I can't test that. Try it though. The next time you do one and fighting starts, hit ctrl-u and switch off the UI for a few seconds. See what it does to your FPS.

Edited by Cupelixx

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@OP: You're running two 770's in SLI. I saw a SIGNIFICANT boost to my FPS, and the consistency of my framerate, when I disabled SLI for SWTOR on my dual 770's.

The SLI support in this game is abysmal. Do NOT use SLI.

Same FPS, same problems whether I use SLI or not. I've always had a moderate gain with SLI enabled. Turning it off does nothing so I just leave it on.

Am I the only gamer who doesn't care about FPS? I play on max graphics and aslong as my pc does what its supposed to even in a massive player/pvp crowd then I don't care. I could have sh*t FPS for all I care, aslong as I can still play in my settings then meh

Probably not. I'm sure a lot of people don't care. This is all off-topic, but for the sake of perspective. Gaming is something I take somewhat seriously. My wife and I spend a lot of time doing it together. It's our favorite thing to do as a couple. So I invest a lot of time and money into making sure that experience is as enjoyable as possible for us. That means the goal is always the best graphical quality in any game we play at 60 FPS or better 95-100% of the time (120 FPS for me since I have a 120hz monitor, and yes I can tell the difference) and I build with that in mind.

This is about the only MMO she likes to PvP in, so when we can't do that even though our machines massively outclass the requirements for the game, that's a huge source of frustration to both of us. I can't PvP effectively when everything is a slideshow. It's barely playable at 45 FPS and completely unplayable when it reaches the 20s. When we're skipping around, I can't defend her and she can't heal. When we level alts and the game runs like crap, it's a bringdown for both of us.

Some people are more sensitive to stutters and jerky motion as well. I can distinguish a difference anywhere between 1 and around 105 FPS (seems to get harder to tell after that). 50 FPS is about my limit. Anything below that is intolerable to me. OTOH, my wife greatly prefers things running at 60 FPS but is much easier able to tolerate when things skip or drop to 30-40 FPS.

Probably not. I'm sure a lot of people don't care. This is all off-topic, but for the sake of perspective. Gaming is something I take somewhat seriously. My wife and I spend a lot of time doing it together. It's our favorite thing to do as a couple. So I invest a lot of time and money into making sure that experience is as enjoyable as possible for us. That means the goal is always the best graphical quality in any game we play at 60 FPS or better 95-100% of the time (120 FPS for me since I have a 120hz monitor, and yes I can tell the difference) and I build with that in mind.

This is about the only MMO she likes to PvP in, so when we can't do that even though our machines massively outclass the requirements for the game, that's a huge source of frustration to both of us. I can't PvP effectively when everything is a slideshow. It's barely playable at 45 FPS and completely unplayable when it reaches the 20s. When we're skipping around, I can't defend her and she can't heal. When we level alts and the game runs like crap, it's a bringdown for both of us.

Some people are more sensitive to stutters and jerky motion as well. I can distinguish a difference anywhere between 1 and around 105 FPS (seems to get harder to tell after that). 50 FPS is about my limit. Anything below that is intolerable to me. OTOH, my wife greatly prefers things running at 60 FPS but is much easier able to tolerate when things skip or drop to 30-40 FPS.

Not to get the topic further...off topic, but...

As a console gamer primarily, I can't really notice any real difference once it gets above 25 FPS. But I know people that can distinguish between 60 FPS and higher, so it's at least partially a learned thing - and I'd honestly love to be able to tell the difference between 60 and 30 FPS. I guess for that though I'd actually need a way to make SWTOR play at more than a 40 FPS max for me. :p

Not to get the topic further...off topic, but...

As a console gamer primarily, I can't really notice any real difference once it gets above 25 FPS. But I know people that can distinguish between 60 FPS and higher, so it's at least partially a learned thing - and I'd honestly love to be able to tell the difference between 60 and 30 FPS. I guess for that though I'd actually need a way to make SWTOR play at more than a 40 FPS max for me. :p

I can see that. Sometimes with this game I wish I didn't know what I was missing. Before the expansion I actually had things running decently in most areas.

UI thing is pretty annoying, because of it we have especially hard times at Underlurker, as guildies has like .. 0 fps there, beforee 3.0 he went in high details even on 16m with no lags. He said turning off UI turns off the lag ... but you cannot fight without UI because keybindings do not work ...

UI thing is pretty annoying, because of it we have especially hard times at Underlurker, as guildies has like .. 0 fps there, beforee 3.0 he went in high details even on 16m with no lags. He said turning off UI turns off the lag ... but you cannot fight without UI because keybindings do not work ...

Keybinds work without the UI. Clickers will have a hard time.

Guildies told be that with UI off skills do not work neither with keybinds... will have to do some testing :-)

There may be a difference between just hiding the UI (Alt+Z) and turning it off (Ctrl+U), not sure.

Edited by Jerba

There may be a differency between just hiding the UI (Alt+Z) and turning it off (Ctrl+U), not sure.

I see wewill test ..

Anyway it is really interesting that this UI issue is so devastating only for some configurations - I know 2 people with laptops with nVidia graphics experiencing the same issue, also with Win 8.1 I think.

I play on much weaker machines ... hell, one is 7 years old school AMD with Windows Vista and Radeon 4700 or so with 4GB and, yes I play on lowest details possible, but have no lags like that on 8 M ops ...

Actually whatever they did ever since the release of F2P, the UI has been screwed up. I run on a lower grade computer ( working on upgrading ) But before F2P, I could run my computer on medium settings and there would be very little lag. Ever since F2P was released, I have noticed it has became worse and worse. Now I must play on the lowest settings and even then its not enough. So IMHO before EVER releasing another expansion, THIS issue needs to be addressed and fixed.

Actually whatever they did ever since the release of F2P, the UI has been screwed up. I run on a lower grade computer ( working on upgrading ) But before F2P, I could run my computer on medium settings and there would be very little lag. Ever since F2P was released, I have noticed it has became worse and worse. Now I must play on the lowest settings and even then its not enough. So IMHO before EVER releasing another expansion, THIS issue needs to be addressed and fixed.

Exactly. Having a game that runs properly should be paramount before they start loading up more junk that kills performance.

There may be a difference between just hiding the UI (Alt+Z) and turning it off (Ctrl+U), not sure.

There is. Alt-z, keybinds still work. Ctrl-u, nothing works except right/left clicks. If my skills at least still worked I would just keep the UI off most of the time to get around the problem.

Makes me wonder if EAware seriously cares about this game anymore. With all the UI problems and lag latency issues. It is very surprising that they don't endeavor to fix these issues before working on other projects. Every time they ignore these issues, just makes me wonder why I subscribe anymore. I love and support the game. This will never change, but would like to see the Dev's start having the same love that their loyal subscribers do.

Am I the only gamer who doesn't care about FPS? I play on max graphics and aslong as my pc does what its supposed to even in a massive player/pvp crowd then I don't care. I could have sh*t FPS for all I care, aslong as I can still play in my settings then meh

I don't care about the number - I care about the results. When my FPS drops, I notice it and it affects my gameplay. Things are not seamless and smooth as they should be. I want everything to be silky smooth when I look around pr perform actions. Hang-ups, stutters, ripples,tearing, etc., drive me nuts.

I don't care about the number - I care about the results. When my FPS drops, I notice it and it affects my gameplay. Things are not seamless and smooth as they should be. I want everything to be silky smooth when I look around pr perform actions. Hang-ups, stutters, ripples,tearing, etc., drive me nuts.

And when you turn your graphics all the way down and you still have those issues, even with a very nice computer, the frustration goes through the roof.

Having the same issue myself (made a post about it here). Before 3.0 I had Nvidia override the AA settings with the in game AA off to get rid of those ugly jaggies. After 3.0 I reset everything back to default thinking that the FPS drops was a performance issue my side, turns out it's not the case and I am encountering these strange random FPS drops still. This is pretty frustrating and I hope that we can some form of acknowledgement about it, at least then we'd know that a 'fix of sorts' would be in the works.

Having the same issue myself (made a post about it here). Before 3.0 I had Nvidia override the AA settings with the in game AA off to get rid of those ugly jaggies. After 3.0 I reset everything back to default thinking that the FPS drops was a performance issue my side, turns out it's not the case and I am encountering these strange random FPS drops still. This is pretty frustrating and I hope that we can some form of acknowledgement about it, at least then we'd know that a 'fix of sorts' would be in the works.

Funny, I had a very similar driver config prior to taking a break between 2.4 and 3.0. I had the game running pretty well except for the usual problem areas like mounting/dismounting, certain areas of Balmorra/Taris, etc. I couldn't start the game after returning for 3.0 so undid my Nvidia Inspector tweaks. I got the game started, only to have it run worse than it did on my i7 920 system.

When I saw the patch note about the UI I decided to try turning it completely off. It's a night and day difference. The game is perfectly smooth from me even at the highest graphics settings, even in the most demanding zones. For what boils down to a 2D overlay, this is crazy.

I wonder if it's that the overlay is such a performance drain, or something which the interface is calling. It's extremely odd that most of the drops happen as soon as combat starts, even when I don't use any skills. If I watch someone else fight it still drops but not quite as much.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.