Kaleesh playable race.

Necroburger

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the hat. I *HATE* that stupid hat. Makes him look like Gilligan's space doppelganger. He just needs the red/white striped Waldo shirt to complete it.

I hate his hoodie too. You can't dye it, you can't take it off or change it, you can't even have him wear a hood from a nice armour set. Why? Who knows, but it vexes me.

Back on topic...nah, don't like the Kaleesh, they're not interesting to me, and I'd never play or pay for one. Wouldn't pay for those Voss nit wits either.

I suppose if I have to pick a race to come after the Togruta's, I'll throw in with the Nautolan bunch. Or maybe Zeltrons.

I think they'd be wiser to focus on creating new classes, with new class stories, at least one per side, to keep the game interesting. It'd be great to get awesome new class stories, with new companions. That shouldn't break the bank too much, if they keep it to one or two per side. That would be better than any species they could come up with. You might look different, but you'll still be bored, new classes in conjunction with newer species unlocks, would make it awesome.

Edited by Lunafox

How is it not abundantly clear to everyone that the romance aspect of the game eliminates any race/species that looks like a "monster" (aside from shark-genital-faced Sith PB) as a player character race/species?

Yes despite EAWare explaining it in details there are lots of people here who fail to understand that. i bet they will LOVE to mesh their face with squid or get tentacle.....umm..i will stop at that..

I hate his hoodie too. You can't dye it, you can't take it off or change it, you can't even have him wear a hood from a nice armour set. Why? Who knows, but it vexes me.

There are a couple of customisations that remove his hood, but they won't let you display any other headgear though. I also hate the fact that you can't display gloves.

There are a couple of customisations that remove his hood, but they won't let you display any other headgear though. I also hate the fact that you can't display gloves.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try and find those, and check them out. I didn't know about them. :)

They'd have to change all the gloves to be two-fingered. Or rather, add two-fingered versions of every glove.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

Well, more accurately they flat out said the Princess Leia test or whatever you want to call it is the official reason

...and a little after that, they said that it was more of a joke than an official statement, as anyone who was there in person would have caught. It's very hard to catch sarcasm and subtle humor on text posted to the Internet.

They have to be able to speak Basic, they have to conform to the current player body type models, and they have to look reasonably human enough in the face that players can imagine a romance with them.

That's the better list of requirements. However, the version I saw didn't say that they needed to be human enough to be "romanceable", but that they needed to have a face that could express emotions. The facial changes for emotive speech is a big part of what makes conversations in the game feel more cinematic than previous generations of games. If you can't show emotion, then your face is just a static blob and it ruins a lot of the personality you might have.

Easy example: Qyzen. I like that he's there. It's a nice look into a race we've seen before, but conversations with him are hardly compelling. He's just a reptoid with a jaw that moves. He might as well just be sending me mail.

The only other restrictions that seems to be in place (based on other sources) is that the race needs to be approved for all class stories by Lucasarts. Until a change is announced, there are a few standing policies from Lucasarts about some special races used in games:

• Wookiees cannot be force users. Yes, I know there are examples. Two have been tossed into Legends-status. The other is questionable. The more authoritative example is Hanharr in KoTOR2, who was very explicitly banned from being a Force user, with the declaration by LA that there are no force-sensitive Wookiees in the Old Republic.
  • Yoda's species cannot be playable. It's origins or characteristics cannot be examined. It can't even be named.
  • Jawa's cannot be shown without their hoods. (This is a bit weird, but whatever)

The only species currently in the game that conforms to all three of those requirements, and does not horrifically violate the game's story by being made playable that I can think of are Togruta and Nautolan.

There are actually quite a few others. There are a bunch of near-human races that would work just fine. Zeltron, Echani, and Arkanians are mentioned repeatedly. There's also Chagrians (Lt. Rusk), who could be made off of the template used for Togruta. Mon Calamari would work. Devaronians would work. Duros and Neimodians would work, too, though I admit the voices might feel wrong (though both species could speak Basic).

The only other playable race (or species, for the terminally pedantic) I would ever expect to see is Togruta. We have a romance with a Torguta, so, by definition, Togruta pass the supposed "Princess Leia test" (whether it was a joke reference or not). The only other race that passes this (alleged) test in the game is Voss, and people seem to have it locked down that Voss cannot be a player race for other reasons.

TOR is not SWG and it never will be.

...and a little after that, they said that it was more of a joke than an official statement, as anyone who was there in person would have caught. It's very hard to catch sarcasm and subtle humor on text posted to the Internet.

That's the better list of requirements. However, the version I saw didn't say that they needed to be human enough to be "romanceable", but that they needed to have a face that could express emotions. The facial changes for emotive speech is a big part of what makes conversations in the game feel more cinematic than previous generations of games. If you can't show emotion, then your face is just a static blob and it ruins a lot of the personality you might have.

Easy example: Qyzen. I like that he's there. It's a nice look into a race we've seen before, but conversations with him are hardly compelling. He's just a reptoid with a jaw that moves. He might as well just be sending me mail.

The only other restrictions that seems to be in place (based on other sources) is that the race needs to be approved for all class stories by Lucasarts. Until a change is announced, there are a few standing policies from Lucasarts about some special races used in games:

• Wookiees cannot be force users. Yes, I know there are examples. Two have been tossed into Legends-status. The other is questionable. The more authoritative example is Hanharr in KoTOR2, who was very explicitly banned from being a Force user, with the declaration by LA that there are no force-sensitive Wookiees in the Old Republic.
  • Yoda's species cannot be playable. It's origins or characteristics cannot be examined. It can't even be named.
  • Jawa's cannot be shown without their hoods. (This is a bit weird, but whatever)

I just needed to point this out: there is a force sensitive Wookiee that is actually canon. Reme, ber Gungi (or whatever his name is) from TCW. Part of Bioware's no-Wookiee policy is nullified.

I would also like to point out the fact that Kaleesh do conform to current character models and some of their masks show more of their face than others. I can't see how EAware could come up with an excuse not to add them.

There are actually quite a few others. There are a bunch of near-human races that would work just fine. Zeltron, Echani, and Arkanians are mentioned repeatedly. There's also Chagrians (Lt. Rusk), who could be made off of the template used for Togruta. Mon Calamari would work. Devaronians would work. Duros and Neimodians would work, too, though I admit the voices might feel wrong (though both species could speak Basic).

I would like to point out that force sensitive Wookiees are actually canon (Gungi in TCW anyone?). That means part of Bioware's no-Wookiee policy is nullified.

I would also like to point out that Kaleesh do conform to current character models and some of the masks they use do show large portions of their faces. I cant think of an excuse bioware could make as to to why they can't implement them.

I suppose if I have to pick a race to come after the Togruta's, I'll throw in with the Nautolan bunch. Or maybe Zeltrons.

TBH, I'm not sure why Zeltrons, Echani/Thyrsians and Kiffar aren't in-game already (although I vaguely remember someone mentioning that Corso was originally intended to be Kiffar pre-launch). Perhaps they're simply scratching their heads trying to determine the highest price point at which they could sell us what amounts to a small selection of hair, tattoo and color change options... :confused:

I would like to point out that force sensitive Wookiees are actually canon (Gungi in TCW anyone?). That means part of Bioware's no-Wookiee policy is nullified.

Not really. The stated "policy" from KoTOR2 was that game makers were not allowed to make Force-sensitive Wookiees. LucasArts made TCW, and they're allowed to do whatever they want. If Bioware wanted to add Force-sensitive Wookiees, it would need explicit approval from LA, and their current policy is "Nope".

Edited by Malastare

i want a playable droid race.

In many ways, droids make even less sense than Wookiees for most classes.

While the idea of a force-sensitive droid is hard enough to swallow on its own, the conflicts run even deeper:

For the Jedi Knight, it would directly and laughably conflict with a vision which is central to the last half of the story. For the Consular, it would make interactions with Qyzen become nonsensical. The Sith Warrior story is based on you coming from a traditional Sith upbringing. For the Inquisitor... the conflicts are just too numerous to really count. Between the fact that you have an ancestor, that you had been a slave, the plot of Chapter 1 and the plot of Chapters 2 & 3, I just can't decide which one would be the most absurd as a droid.

The Republic would never take on a droid as a Major of its elite special forces squad. The Empire would never take a droid as a cipher agent (nor would loads of the Agent story make sense.... and I'm not sure whether the holographic droid disguise would be amazingly clever or utterly silly).

So... we'd be left with Smuggler and Bounty Hunter. Clearly Bounty Hunter would be feasible (looking at you, Defenestrator), and it would even fit with current gear (droids mostly use Aim gear). For Smuggler... I can't think of strong conflicts at the moment, so sure.

But romances... hmm... those would mostly be very odd. Maybe Mako would be okay... but not in a way that I want to think about too much.

Do they even have more than one model each in the game right now? I feel almost racist for saying this, but all the Chagrians and Devaronians in TOR look the same to me... :o

No. They have a model for a Chagrian male (Body type 2, with a slight upscale I think, maybe 110%?) and they have a model for a Devaronian male (Body type 2, standard from what I can tell).

However, that's not really a problem. Before the Cathar were added, they only had three Cathar models: the "leonine" Cathar male, the Cathar female, and Jorgan. They're adding Togruta now, and they only have two models for that.

This is why they say it takes more effort than people think to create new races (the RPG term, not the science term). If they make 10 face shapes for the Togruta, that means than they need 40 versions (type 1-4) per gender. Then if they have just 4 styles of horns/lekku, that means they need to check the 160 variations of lekku-faceshape-bodystyle combinations for any sort of issues.... and then do it again for the other gender.

And judging by what they said they did with Cathar, the pre-existence of the game models had no impact. They cooked up brand new models for the Cathar and then gradually went through the game converting some of the old cathar to the new models. I'd assume they'd do the same thing with Togruta and any other species they might add.

Not really sure what your point is. There are no romance-like encounters (that I am aware of) involving player characters and either one of those races.

No... but there's also no reason romance encounters wouldn't work. Both of those species have "human" faces. The difference between Chagrians and Togruta is very minor, and the issues with them would be even less likely with Devaronians.

Edited by Malastare

No... but there's also no reason romance encounters wouldn't work. Both of those species have "human" faces. The difference between Chagrians and Togruta is very minor, and the issues with them would be even less likely with Devaronians.

I suppose, since both races are "humans with horns on their heads (like a Zabrak) and/or funny things dangling from their heads (like a Twi'lek/Zabrak hybrid)."

How is it not abundantly clear to everyone that the romance aspect of the game eliminates any race/species that looks like a "monster" (aside from shark-genital-faced Sith PB) as a player character race/species?

sooo in star wars its ok to make out with cats?

Your character kisses nexu, does s/he?

By your "soooo" it seems you think you scored some kind of "gotcha" here. Cathar are kissable because BWEA made them so. Personally, I find Cathar (and Togruta and Zabrak and Sith PB and Twi'lek) too "inhuman" but the game says they are close enough. And that's all that matters. Their game, their rules.

Yes, it's why the Galactic Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Aliens (GSPCA) engages in such an aggressive "Spay and Neuter" campaign.

Seriously, I have no interest in a new playable species. I don't really use all the ones available now. So, as a player without a dog in this fight, I have two words of caution ...

Female Kaleesh. :(

/shudder