Everyone satisfied with the expack SGRs?

calypsissmexy

SGR: same gender romance

I remember this was a fairly vocal issue for a long time. Haven't seen much about it since the expacks dropped with some SGR options.

But I still want to romance my companions who I spend 50 hours with.

I don't even care for kaliyo but she teases like she was originally written as bi but then got straightened out during the dev process. It frustrates me every time I roll a f-agent.

I assume since the SW property has changed hands that whoever from on high that restricted romances to straight only has lost their control. So why not have SGR options open up with companions? I've seen mods for other games do it very well without even including new dialogue *cough*DAO*cough*.

Yes yes...there are more important things to worry about. Thanks, never occurred to me.

Edited by calypsissmexy

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using my context clues I'm guessing this has something to do with gay/lesbian story choices right?

If so, I hate that EVERY interaction with Theron has a flirt option. I remember the gay companion complaints a couple years back but wow did they overdo it.

Edited by iKlone

Using my context clues I'm guessing this has something to do with gay/lesbian story choices right?

If so, I hate that EVERY interaction with Theron has a flirt option. I remember the gay companion complaints a couple years back but wow did they overdo it.

I honestly dont understand. How is having the option to flirt, overdoing it?

I'm constantly given the option to flirt with opposite gender companions. I just don't do it. Unless I'm manipulating the affection mechanic ;P

Edited by calypsissmexy

I honestly dont understand. How is having the option to flirt, overdoing it?

It's literally 90% of the interactions, one of them is flirting, all the way through. It's not like that for any other story scenes. It almost seemed like a way to poke fun at the people asking for more.

It's literally 90% of the interactions, one of them is flirting, all the way through. It's not like that for any other story scenes. It almost seemed like a way to poke fun at the people asking for more.

That sounds pretty consistent with the vanilla opposite gender companions. Most interactions have a flirt option.

That sounds pretty consistent with the vanilla opposite gender companions. Most interactions have a flirt option.

I've played most class stories since launch, not once did I feel like a story was going; "you wanna flirt? you wanna flirt now? you sure you don't wanna flirt? how about now, you ready? c'mon flirt with someone." It wouldn't have stood out and I never would've posted in this thread otherwise. It was more flirt and keep flirting, or choose option to not flirt and it didn't come up 6 more times before the next quest started.

I've played most class stories since launch, not once did I feel like a story was going; "you wanna flirt? you wanna flirt now? you sure you don't wanna flirt? how about now, you ready? c'mon flirt with someone." It wouldn't have stood out and I never would've posted in this thread otherwise. It was more flirt and keep flirting, or choose option to not flirt and it didn't come up 6 more times before the next quest started.

I still don't get it. The option to be a flippant *** is always there but I don't feel pressured to play my light side Jedi that way. The option to be a goody-two-shoes is always there yet I manage to reach dark V on my sin without feeling pressured to be nice. What about the flirt option creates this pressure that other options don't?

Edited by calypsissmexy

I find it interesting that you aren't bothered by the fact that you get just as many flirt options with Lana...

Every teenage boy (in mind or in age) is now satisfied they can watch cartoon women kiss each other in SWTOR.

This made me laugh because regardless of the actual lesbians who would enjoy this you -know- 95% of the use in game is exactly the quoted part.

There's a reason all my bios in every game I play have an addedum at the end that says:

"No I am not a lesbian, nor am I interested in helping all you men pretending to be women act out your not so secret lesbian fantasies."

I have nothing against sgr, but being a woman, the mere -thought- of -having- to put up with someone elses PMS on top of my own is all the deterrant I need ^_~

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Some of the options to 'flirt' have just been thrown in there without any thought process. On Makeb, you get an opportunity to give a kiss to a character(male) who is injured. And I was thinking....what?! Just added for no reason because if you do even give him a kiss, nothing else happens - so its just an insult really.

The class stories weren't designed with SGR in mind so they just throw in a few poorly thought out options. Shaming really

SGR: same gender romance

I remember this was a fairly vocal issue for a long time. Haven't seen much about it since the expacks dropped with some SGR options.

But I still want to romance my companions who I spend 50 hours with.

I don't even care for kaliyo but she teases like she was originally written as bi but then got straightened out during the dev process. It frustrates me every time I roll a f-agent.

I assume since the SW property has changed hands that whoever from on high that restricted romances to straight only has lost their control. So why not have SGR options open up with companions? I've seen mods for other games do it very well without even including new dialogue *cough*DAO*cough*.

Yes yes...there are more important things to worry about. Thanks, never occurred to me.

Changing hands could affect it, But Disney is not against gay story arcs at all.

They did all of these (yes Disney owns Marvel):

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/disney-channel-debuts-lesbian-couple-good-luck-charlie-article-1.1603673 (TV show on Disney Channel with Lesbian Parents)

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/marvel-comics-hosts-first-gay-wedding-in-astonishing-x-men-20120522 (Gay Wedding in Astonishging X-Men)

I can't find a link (because i don't remember the name) but they do this short film type thing where they show a kid and their family. One of those within the last year or so showed a kid and his 2 dads.

Absolutely no issue if you are a same sex couple and decide to get married at Disney.

Other cases that I don't know thanks to just how many divisions are within Disney.

Absolutely. Kaliyo has always struck me as bi or lesbian. I've played 2 female agents and have been pissed both times that they couldn't have a romance because they seemed to be a perfect odd couple.

As far as being happy with the SGRs in the expansions. Eh. In SoR it's just the same options as the straight ones, no effort put into make it unique. In RotC it seemed really tacked on. I would love to see them go back and add SGRs into the original companions, but I don't think it will ever happen and if they only put the level they put into the expansions then eh.

Another thing everyone is conveniently ignoring, and yes your ignoring it like the elephant in the room, is that it will take actual work to go into all the different companion codes and change them. Given how the last expansion was.... well you all know how things have been going with their effort level... do you reall think they would A) deem it worth the man hours and B) actually do it? I just don't see EA/ Bioware seeing it as worthy ROI.

I still don't see the reason why social issues from our world have to be present in games just to try and prove a point. But, it's not like I can do anything about it. It's all up to BioWare. It's just odd having every single freaking line have a flirt option towards it now lol. I think they overdid it a little bit to be honest. Not even straight flirts come up as often sometimes :p Edited by Sarfux

Absolutely. Kaliyo has always struck me as bi or lesbian. I've played 2 female agents and have been pissed both times that they couldn't have a romance because they seemed to be a perfect odd couple.

As far as being happy with the SGRs in the expansions. Eh. In SoR it's just the same options as the straight ones, no effort put into make it unique. In RotC it seemed really tacked on. I would love to see them go back and add SGRs into the original companions, but I don't think it will ever happen and if they only put the level they put into the expansions then eh.

It should be the same as the straight ones and have nothing unique or different about the same sex ones. It's all about equality isn't it? There should be nothing "unique" about either one if the people arguing for SGR also are arguing for equality. The people who wanted flirt options for the same sex now have them. They should be happy and embrace it.

Another thing everyone is conveniently ignoring, and yes your ignoring it like the elephant in the room, is that it will take actual work to go into all the different companion codes and change them. Given how the last expansion was.... well you all know how things have been going with their effort level... do you reall think they would A) deem it worth the man hours and B) actually do it? I just don't see EA/ Bioware seeing it as worthy ROI.

I wasn't overlooking that, that's exactly why I said it would never happen. I don't expect them to ever go back and fix/change anything significant in 1-50 content unless it's a game-breaking bug or a system that expands to endgame (like the recent revamp of the talent system).

It should be the same as the straight ones and have nothing unique or different about the same sex ones. It's all about equality isn't it? There should be nothing "unique" about either one if the people arguing for SGR also are arguing for equality. The people who wanted flirt options for the same sex now have them. They should be happy and embrace it.

I wasn't saying that they should be different because SGR IRL are different. My point was if the options were different it would add replay value, but since it's the same content regardless of class/faction your right that was silly to even suggest...

I'm not ignoring it. There's a cost benefit thing. Being overtly gay friendly has PR bonuses among swaths of young people, both gay and allied, a fact that other parts of Bioware are banking on (DAI?). EA has been a public sponsor at gay pride events. Making such a change to several of the companions could garner positive press (free publicity) and be seen as consistent meaningful support.

Also, it likely isn't as much coding as you'd think. They don't code every conversation. They, no doubt, have a toolkit they've made that allows them to implement convos and animations without having to dig into the code manually. Editing the conversations would just take some planning and a bit of time.

Do I see it happening? Not really. I don't expect anything I want to happen because I'm not begging for new ops or expacks. I'm asking for an update to vanilla content which they haven't shown much interest in doing, be it bug fixes or whatever. Vanilla is pretty set in stone (no matter how borked some of it is) because they want to be seen adding new content (looks better to shareholders and guarantees press on relevant sites), not tweaking/fixing old stuff.

Also, it likely isn't as much coding as you'd think.

Agreed, especially if the conversations aren't going to be any different, all it is removing the code determines whether to allow the flirt option based on if the genders are optional. It actually would be a simplification by just making flirt an option regardless of either characters gender. Not saying it wouldn't be a change and wouldn't take some time and testing, but it's hardly a monumental effort. Despite that I'd be floored if they ever make the change, it's sad but it's realistic.

Also asking someone about their work or where they are from is being considered as flirting by EAWare, there is no choice to ask lana or theron about their life without choosing flirt option. it is bonkers.

90% of my male Agent's interaction with Watcher Two in the story missions included Flirt options, and I was all "Ew, HELL no" every time. Just had to roll with it and move on. He was quite happy with the options available to flirt with Theron. (Nice model, and Troy Baker's voice...to die for.)

I wasn't saying that they should be different because SGR IRL are different. My point was if the options were different it would add replay value, but since it's the same content regardless of class/faction your right that was silly to even suggest...

Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying. Should make yourself more clear next time so people don't get confused ;)

90% of my male Agent's interaction with Watcher Two in the story missions included Flirt options, and I was all "Ew, HELL no" every time. Just had to roll with it and move on. He was quite happy with the options available to flirt with Theron. (Nice model, and Troy Baker's voice...to die for.)

I could wager a guess as to why people don't notice it in vanilla but I'll just imply it and leave it at that. :rak_03:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.