The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Full Auto, and its use in Plasmatech

TACeMossie

For a while, I was under the impression that Plasmatech was the one Vanguard spec where you can't use Full Auto. But I was wrong!

Disregard comments in my guide, here is the true facts about Full Auto in PvE Plasmatech.

Note: I tested things on my ship dummy before I started. Of course, there were some variables beyond my control, however, all you need to know are the results. So to begin with, how would you use Full Auto?

In Plasmatech, the rotation has 2 fillers that change depending on situations. I have highlighted them with yellow, bold and underline in the following writeout of the rotation.

PT -> IR -> PC -> ShS -> HiB -> IP -> FILLER -> FP -> IP ->

ShS -> IR -> PC -> FILLER -> HiB -> ShS -> IP -> FP -> IP ->

If one were to take that filler, and channel 2 ticks of full auto in it (and clip it afterwards), it is a DPS increase. If you don't believe me, have some maths:

Note, All results were taken from a ship dummy being whacked on with the universal debuff on. They also weren't in the execute range, where I would swap back to Ion Pulse for the extra 10% damage it would deal sub-30% as well as the increased damage from the sub-30% Plasma Cell (which has a higher proc chance).

I should have also taken off my relics for the test, but I forgot to.

Maths enclosed in spoiler tags:

20x Ion Pulse Test

Ion Pulse: 20, 2617 Avg, 4354 Avg Crit, 25% crit rate, 61032 damage

Plasma Cell: 60, 580 Avg, 960 Avg Crit, 25% crit rate, 40509 damage

10x Full Auto Test

Full Auto: 40, 1685 Avg, 2783 Avg Crit, 12.5% crit rate, 72898 damage

Plasma Cell: 16, 605 Avg, 997 Avg Crit, 37.5% crit rate, 12035 damage

Ranged Crit Change: 25.54%

Tech Crit Chance: 26.04%

Elemental Crit Chance: 29.04%

Rotational option for Full Auto or Ion Pulse:

IP -> FA/IP/HS -> FP -> IP

PC -> FA/IP/HS -> HiB -> SHS

As such, you will get 1-2 ticks of Plasma Cell off from the Ion Pulse/Full Auto in both cases. If FA doesn't tick Plasma Cell in the first case, you lose 1 tick, while if it doesn't tick in the second case, you lose 2 ticks.

Ion Pulse:

3121.4 Damage Average

Full Auto:

3930.9 Damage Average

Plasma Cell:

696.3 Damage Average

Ion Pulse = 100% chance of 2x Plasma Cell

Full Auto = 35% chance of 2x Plasma Cell, 57.8% of 1x Plasma Cell

SWAPPING FIRST ION PULSE FOR FULL AUTO:

35% chance of 2x Plasma Cell, 100% chance of 1x Plasma Cell

Full Auto Expected Damage = 4870.9

Ion Pulse Expected Damage = 4514

SWAPPING SECOND ION PULSE FOR FULL AUTO:

57.75% chance of first plasma Cell, 35% chance of second

Full Auto Expected Damage = 4576.7

Ion Pulse Expected Damage = 4514

There is also the fact that Full Auto (clipped to 2 GCDs) is 3 energy cheaper than an Ion Pulse to consider, but the most important thing to note is that if you are going to do this, its better to do it in the first filler than the second. Also note you can't do it in both, because of Full Auto's 15 second cooldown.

So now the info is out, its up to the playerbase to abuse it. And Bioware to eventually nerf Full Auto (all 3 specs can use it rotationally, and in at least 1 case it should be clipped), but thats a while away.

Edited by TACeMossie

This special misses so much with Accuracy under 110% for fighting bosses that it is only useful when you move out of melee range (I only PVE). My Vanguard highest damage are always: Plasmatize, Ion pulse, High Impact Bolt (using Parsec). I keep them lit up and those are melee range specials.

Is the reason to remove this PVP?

I don't get it....does every class have to fight in melee range all the time? Can't they just produce some creative way to add some defenses on the Boss/NPC to account/balance damage from a ranged class?

So sad....

I think they mentioned it was mostly removed due to the tank spec doing too much damage, strange thing is, I don't think this will change the other specs very much (a bit probably, but not much). But I am guessing more changes are coming. Edited by Diagorias

Doesn't seem, from what I read in the note, BW is addressing VG Tanking in relation to this Special specifically. Though, the idea behind this statement was repeated: "we feel that PT/VG already have plenty of long range options and do not require Unload/Full Auto". Are they kidding...what do they mean by "plenty"? (rhetorical)

It is just sad to know when all the design of the game comes down to "nerfing" the class rather than coming up with creative alternatives to balancing damage output of "x" class.

/rantover

/sleep

Yeah lol, that was really fast

See what happened was this; the bioware devs where sitting there with the nerf bat at ready.

BiowareDev: Ok 3.1.1 PTS is today so we need to hit something with this bat.

TACeMossie posts Full Auto thread

BiowareDev: THERE!!! *grabs bat* BAM! BAM! BAM!

Edited by Zoom_VI

I think it's absolutely hilarious that they decide PT is the class that needs nerfed, specifically the tanks! Yet sorce run around with force storm , no cool down, unlimited force regen and ability to cast it 90% uptime on bosses and out dps every other spec! Yet it has remained untouched!

Thanks for trying tacemossie!

I think it's absolutely hilarious that they decide PT is the class that needs nerfed, specifically the tanks! Yet sorce run around with force storm , no cool down, unlimited force regen and ability to cast it 90% uptime on bosses and out dps every other spec! Yet it has remained untouched!

lol if you're talking about pve you clearly have never heard of IO merc

not like it can do 5.7k dps in min/maxed gear or anything

I'm going to miss actually shooting the blaster pistol I run around with 24/7. I mean, I guess I'll keep it on me in case I need to stop a cap from >15 meters away at some point in a Warzone...

On the other hand, this nerf was clearly needed. If I had a dollar for every time I burst someone down from 30 meters away on my Powertech...

I'd have like 1 dollar.

See what happened was this; the bioware devs where sitting there with the nerf bat at ready.

BiowareDev: Ok 3.1.1 PTS is today so we need to hit something with this bat.

TACeMossie posts Full Auto thread

BiowareDev: THERE!!! *grabs bat* BAM! BAM! BAM!

LOL yah they are pretty lame...I wonder if they were all this lame while they were making KOTOR or Mass Effect or is it just EA's darkside corruption twisting their minds..

LOL yah they are pretty lame...I wonder if they were all this lame while they were making KOTOR or Mass Effect or is it just EA's darkside corruption twisting their minds..

The issue is that their combat dev team is lazy, and they don't take any pride in their work or product.

The automated defenses nerf is proof of this. It's broken, so instead of fixing the CD reduction right, I'll throw on a flat 30 second reduction overall. Done. Not let me get back to playing my hatred sin. Perfectly balanced!