DX 12 coming SWTOR sitll in the darkages.

tanktest

With Dx12 coming later this year with Windows 10 . SWTOR is still using DX 9 and 32 bit . I wonder if the DEV really know how much more stable SWTOR would become if they wrote in a newer DX and 64 bit .

WOW at first said the same thing I'm sure a lot here will say but once wow did it it worked .

and some other games, don't go there it's the game engine etc at this point in SWTOR it's no longer the game engine they have a handle on things from what i see bugs get fixed in a reason able a mount of time they do some awesome stuff with Dx9 but dx + or 12 can do better with more freedom. what happens when D x 9 gets played out in sure they are getting to that point now . do they shut down SWTOR from lack of support because they can't keep up or do they do it .

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect they do know how improved it would make SWTOR. I also expect they know how difficult such an undertaking would be for them, how expensive it would be, and whether it would be feasible to do at all.

I rather expect you do not know, or have any inkling.

I expect they do know how improved it would make SWTOR. I also expect they know how difficult such an undertaking would be for them, how expensive it would be, and whether it would be feasible to do at all.

I also believe this is a very roll over and just take any crap given comment. When a company decides to make a game especially an MMO that has a much longer lifespan normally than other games it is their responsibility to make the game as stable and optimised as they can. It's simple logic here the better the game runs the less people need to go out and buy new hardware which means more people are likely to stay. You also forget that part of our subscription (not all) goes into the development of the game so we are already paying them (those of us that sub) to enhance and improve the game.

It will be interesting to see if they do update it or if they are just milking the player base for the last amount they can before they completely destroy the game because since 3.0 it appears their hell bound on it.

your comment is noted and no matter what I say you will all ways say just that. i know what it takes but as i said they have to be reaching there end of Dx 9 what happen when MS stops support for DX 9. I remember when Sony went to DX 9 becasue they could no long do any more with D8 and MS dropped support . i bet you don't know or even know about the eq 1 days one the games that lead the way for these games . but your comment is noted and it's the usually excuse. Money cost prove it . they won't . can you ? show me there books to show the real amount they make off us and if they do it slowly over time the cost will factor in .

cya

Cya

Edited by tanktest

I think they should consider upgrading everything at some point in the not too distant future I'd love to see improved visuals. But who knows, maybe they don't have the resources for such things right now and certainly improving what they already have takes precedence for the time being.

With Dx12 coming later this year with Windows 10 . SWTOR is still using DX 9 and 32 bit . I wonder if the DEV really know how much more stable SWTOR would become if they wrote in a newer DX and 64 bit .

WOW at first said the same thing I'm sure a lot here will say but once wow did it it worked .

WoW has 10 million subs and has earned over $10 BILLION dollars... they can afford to rewrite the game engine 5 times if they want to...

SWTOR has MAYBE 500k subs if you're being kind, likely 300k at this point...

WoW has 10 million subs and has earned over $10 BILLION dollars... they can afford to rewrite the game engine 5 times if they want to...

SWTOR has MAYBE 500k subs if you're being kind, likely 300k at this point...

WOW was just example but other game with a smaller player base then wow have done it, if you need me to prove it why there is i don't need to prove any thing i only play two games now wow and SWTOR both are awesome games i have played both form beta , while i played other games long the way . i hate to see this go which can happen at any time .

why do you seem so dead against it ?.

Or even mantle support for the AMD players .

cya

Edited by tanktest

Lets pretend a hypothetical situation completely NOT In touch with reality. I am the Pres of EA and say, I dont care how much it costs, lets upgrade the SWTOR engine and get it 64 bit AND DX 12!

So, who here really knows what that entails? How much money? 100 million? 250 million?

My assumption is its easier to simply create a new engine and PORT everyone over to the new game rather than rewrite the entire engine from the ground up.

Even if they did rewrite the entire game engine the servers would have to be offline for many hours simply to rewrite every line of code and the likelihood of poorly written code and errors is very high.

Lets pretend a hypothetical situation completely NOT In touch with reality. I am the Pres of EA and say, I dont care how much it costs, lets upgrade the SWTOR engine and get it 64 bit AND DX 12!

So, who here really knows what that entails? How much money? 100 million? 250 million?

No, not nearly that much....

Might be as cheap as $5 million, probably more... $10 million maybe, depending on who does it and if they know what they are doing...

They could also simply buy (licence) an existing game engine and use it, which would be faster and maybe cheaper, but it has its own issues.

---

That isn't really it however...

Lets say, for the sake of discussion, that the number is $10 million. You have to consider opportunity cost... what ELSE could that $10 million buy.

Another expansion? More class stories?

What would bring more revenue to the game? A new engine, or a completely new Chapter of class stories? I'm willing to bet the latter, but you decide.

I think they should consider upgrading everything at some point in the not too distant future I'd love to see improved visuals. But who knows, maybe they don't have the resources for such things right now and certainly improving what they already have takes precedence for the time being.

Yes, they should... starting with the CONTENT! :)

Or did you not notice that almost nothing new in the content dept has been released in awhile, other than 1 story planet and 1 daily area?

I say "almost nothing" because GSF and GSH aren't "nothing", but they are side shows, not the meat and potatoes.

WOW was just example but other game with a smaller player base then wow have done it, if you need me to prove it why there is i don't need to prove any thing i only play two games now wow and SWTOR both are awesome games i have played both form beta , while i played other games long the way . i hate to see this go which can happen at any time .

why do you seem so dead against it ?.

Or even mantle support for the AMD players .

cya

Nobody is really against it. It's just that anybody who has even the vaguest idea what tremendous effort that would entail will understand why they won't do it; it's just not worth it financially. /thread

My assumption is its easier to simply create a new engine and PORT everyone over to the new game rather than rewrite the entire engine from the ground up.

Even if they did rewrite the entire game engine the servers would have to be offline for many hours simply to rewrite every line of code and the likelihood of poorly written code and errors is very high.

when wow did it ( wow is just example they factored it in over time ) I' m really starting to be amazed at how it's not even a thought which leads me to believe how much longer will this game be. you do not have to rewrite the game engine to add support . I 'm not asking for a complete rewire to add that support . i asking for them to add it not rewrite the game in a 64 bit format with 32 bit support with Dx 12 or better that would cost and will never happen .

I'm not against it, I just live in reality.

It just isn't going to happen.

Thats just it I am more in reality them you think just your term of reality .

Take EQ 1 i know it;s crap game now but it going strong with the same player base as this one they keep shelling out those improvements and some are better then this game . and real expac not what they call expac here .

well any way D 9 support may be dropped very soon i read some place it old and out dated and had it usefulness ..

GL all just a thought sense it's time to think about it in a real reality . :) ...

Thats just it I am more in reality them you think just your term of reality .

Take EQ 1 i know it;s crap game now but it going strong with the same player base as this one they keep shelling out those improvements and some are better then this game . and real expac not what they call expac here .

well any way D 9 support may be dropped very soon i read some place it old and out dated and had it usefulness ..

GL all just a thought sense it's time to think about it in a real reality . :) ...

You aren't being realistic. MMOs trade graphics for larger environments and more content than other games as it is. MMOs never exhibit the latest and greatest technology and WoW is and never has been any different. Every MMO ever designed had dated graphics at the time it launched. WoW's graphical improvements just helped make the game look younger but as is the case with any type of cosmetic surgery, you can only go so far. If your 77 you can take some years off but you can't make yourself look 17 again. MMO development cycles and market life spans are vastly different than other types of games. We could potentially see a 64 bit version of the game at some point but you won't be seeing DirectX 12 support or anything like that. Any major engine improvements on the developers part need to be feasible in terms of reward vs. cost and time to release. Given how limited the hero engine is I don't think we'll ever see substantial changes to the engine.

You are divorced from reality if you think this game is popular enough to justify those types of development costs.

This is one of the first posts which makes sense on this forums past few days O_O

when wow did it ( wow is just example they factored it in over time ) I' m really starting to be amazed at how it's not even a thought which leads me to believe how much longer will this game be. you do not have to rewrite the game engine to add support . I 'm not asking for a complete rewire to add that support . i asking for them to add it not rewrite the game in a 64 bit format with 32 bit support with Dx 12 or better that would cost and will never happen .

It is not as simple as just checking a box saying that the game is now compiled in 64bit and is optimized for DX12.

Bioware started with an Alpha version of the Hero engine about 8 years ago now. At the time they expected that the Hero engine development would continue at a good enough pace that they would keep using an up to date version of Hero (atleast up to release).

However the issue we have here is that they had to fork the Hero engine and make their own improvements on the engine just to make the game work.

It is hard to say exactly what the state of the engine was when they forked it or how much work would be involved in adding this stuff, but using WoW or any other game (unless there is a game out there that did the exact same thing, which I doubt) as a reason they should be able to it or that it is 'easy' is not valid.

WoW built its engine from the ground up and they have been doing minor upgrades to it since it came out. I would wager that they planned some of this into the engine. Bioware did not have this luxury since they were using a third party engine.

I also believe this is a very roll over and just take any crap given comment. When a company decides to make a game especially an MMO that has a much longer lifespan normally than other games it is their responsibility to make the game as stable and optimised as they can. It's simple logic here the better the game runs the less people need to go out and buy new hardware which means more people are likely to stay. You also forget that part of our subscription (not all) goes into the development of the game so we are already paying them (those of us that sub) to enhance and improve the game.

It will be interesting to see if they do update it or if they are just milking the player base for the last amount they can before they completely destroy the game because since 3.0 it appears their hell bound on it.

"Let's update the game to Direct X 12!"

Okay, what does this mean?

"Only Windows 10 users can play the game!"

"Only users of the latest graphics hardware can play the game!"

What does that mean?

"We've just dramatically restricted the number of players who can use our product!"

"Brilliant!"

I am sure they are aware of it and I am sure they are aware also of what it could mean to a part of the player base who may not have rigs that will be ready for this sort of set up.

They still have to support people who play on older computers. I don't think they want to follow the advancements too quickly and leave part of the player base behind unless the numbers are small enough.

• 2 months later...
"Let's update the game to Direct X 12!"

Okay, what does this mean?

"Only Windows 10 users can play the game!"

True.

But Microsoft stated that everyone owning Windows 7 or 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 for free in the first year.

So not really an issue...

"Only users of the latest graphics hardware can play the game!"

What does that mean?

Please inform yourself about what you're gonna say before posting it in some forums.

To be blunt:

nVidia stated that everything starting from the Fermi architecture will get DirectX12 drivers.

AMD stated that every GCN graphics card will work well under DX12.+

When did the GCN architecture launch?

End of 2011. Almost as old as SWTOR itself...

The Fermi things are a little bit older though...

"We've just dramatically restricted the number of players who can use our product!"

"Brilliant!"

to be blunt:

What you're saying here is just completely WRONG.

Please refrain from stating such FUD!

Truth is the absolute opposite what you are saying!

Many people are able to use DX12, when it comes out with Windows 10!

It's just a small portion of people who don't benefit from DX12...

As GCN isn't that young now...

Well, you may look here:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

So I see that there are:

49,93% using Windows 7/64bit

24,59% Windows 8.1/64bit

11,89% Windows 7

5,89% Windows 8/64bit

0,6% Windows 8.1

0,38% Windows 8

Makes:

93,28% of the Steam Users are able to upgrade to Windows 10.

And 0,17% are already using it...

As for the graphics cards:

Do the math yourself.

As all nVidia DX11 GPUs are DX12 capable.

Intel Haswell should be DX12 Capable and AMD GCN is also capable...

But since you can't really play SWTOR on an Intel IGP, they are not really an issue.

That just leaves the bunch of AMD DX11.0 GPUs (HD5k and HD6k Series)...

They still have to support people who play on older computers. I don't think they want to follow the advancements too quickly and leave part of the player base behind unless the numbers are small enough.

True

But that's the great thing about DX12!!

It frees CPU power because the drawecalls are reduced thus you need a less powerful CPU for the same job.

So all people need to do is to upgrade their graphics card to something DX12 capable...

Here in Germany you can find some 'refurbished' (we call it here 'B-Ware' wich can be such a thing as a card coming out of an RMA directly from the manufacturer. So chances are that the card is brand new, just 'naked': no box, nothing, just the card. And you have to rely on the dealer for warranty)...

HD7770 for 50 bucks at dealers outlets...

Edited by Stefan_Payne

True.

But Microsoft stated that everyone owning Windows 7 or 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 for free in the first year.

So not really an issue...

Please inform yourself about what you're gonna say before posting it in some forums.

What about those of us still running Vista? We're SOL?