Slot nerf - working as intended, or another mistake?

Divana

The changes to the slots in this patch were not an adjustment - (FYI, the definition of adjustment is "a small change that improves something or makes it work better").

My question is, was this new change intended or will it be changed again in the next patch because this is all a bad dream?

(Mommy...hold me!)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going to take a look at it and make changes accordingly

Accordingly they needed to make huge changes. Will they change it again? Why not. Will it go back to the million credit gaining machine per hour ? No.

Edited by Neglience

Accordingly they needed to make huge changes. Will they change it again? Why not. Will it go back to the million credit gaining machine per hour ? No.

Pfft.no one made a million credits per hour. It was too good, but it wasn't that good.

Like I said in the other thread, Bioware isn't gentle about nerfs or buffs.

They either nuke it into the ground or make it super powerful.

That is just sad. Before 3.0 I just happily played through the game with no real complaints. Since 3.0, I feel like I am playing a beta version. I fail to understand how developers can be so far removed from a product this old that they do not think their decisions through and see what impact they will have in game. They must not test or play this game AT ALL. I get emotionally vested in MMOs that I play. My attachment to this game declines with each patch because it is just becoming more and more obvious they do not care about this game. Has it turned into one giant Bioware troll? Are we, the posters on this forum raging about their weekly patch screw ups their primary source of entertainment? Am I just paying to entertain trolls?

Pfft.no one made a million credits per hour. It was too good, but it wasn't that good.

Someone who is now whining could get 300 grade 11 mats in 2 1/2 hours . If he sells the mats for 20k each that gives him 6.000.000 Credits. So actually its 2,4 Million per hour, sorry for the mistake.

Edited by Neglience

Well, the patch notes only say that they lowered the drop rate of Jawa Junk and added a walker mount.

Nothing in there about lowering the rest of the jawa scrap or the cartel certificates or increasing the loss chance.

This argument is absurd and its semantics. continuing to perpetuate it across multiple threads does no one any good.

it has to have this low a drop rate or it will be exploited by macro'ers

Once again no. They did not need to make this huge of a change. Gate how many coins per day you can use. Make small changes to the %. Not use a sledgehammer when it call for a feather duster.

As a woman in her late 50's let me clue you, cheaters are going to cheat. That is who they are. I pay to play this game with family to have fun, not worry about what Joe Blow might be doing.

Someone who is now whining could get 300 grade 11 mats in 2 1/2 hours . If he sells the mats for 20k each that gives him 6.000.000 Credits. So actually its 2,4 Million per hour, sorry for the mistake.

Where do you get 20k per piece? Seems like you are making extremely optimistic assumptions there. That's about as nice as I can describe it.

I love MMO forums. You shall never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

It had the potential of making more than a million credits per hour as long as you had multiple slot machines.

60 minutes = 3,600 seconds

1.5s GCD = 2,400 pulls

let's drop that by 5% to take into account misclicks

2,280 pulls

Cost: 1,140,000 (for the coins)

Vendoring reptation returns ~650,000

Total cost: ~500,000

Purple drop rate 10-12% = ~250 purple mats

All you'd need to do is sell the mats for 6k each to make a million credits profit. And that doesn't even take into account the 250 green mats, 250 blue mats and any profit to be made on things bought with Certs.

Edited by Khevar

This argument is absurd and its semantics. continuing to perpetuate it across multiple threads does no one any good.

Except that in this case, he is right.

The most recent changes to the slot machine fail to pass the reasonable person test. Anyone that looked at the community update and then looked at what they changed can easily say "what was said, was far from the truth." This is even hard for me to do, since 90% of the time I am a "glorious defender of Bioware" but in this case Bioware dropped the ball harder than most anything in recent memory.

"Working as intended with a change to JJ" (paraphrasing of course) was NOT what happened when they changed the slot machine in the last patch. You can't argue that. The new odds have been datamined and we all saw it. What they did was a gross over correction that is either:

A) Another mistake on their part and they failed to understand the ramifications (another patch will fix this)

OR

B) Completely intended, which is far worse because people spent real money to obtain this machine and then they changed the entire odds matrix instead of what they said they were looking at.

Edited by Arkerus

It had the potential of making more than a million credits per hour as long as you had multiple slot machines.

60 minutes = 3,600 seconds

1.5s GCD = 2,400 pulls

let's drop that by 5% to take into account misclicks

2,280 pulls

Cost: 1,140,000 (for the coins)

Vendoring reptation returns ~650,000

Total cost: ~500,000

Purple drop rate 10-12% = ~250 purple mats

All you'd need to do is sell the mats for 6k each to make a million credits profit. And that doesn't even take into account the 250 green mats, 250 blue mats and any profit to be made on things bought with Certs.

Thanks was about to do something like that. I just want to add that on average it cost you around 10k to get a purple mat with crew missions and it takes about 150 minutes to get a crit.

The gaining machine did undercut crew mission in reward and time. in fact it was still viable to sell at a price when you would make a loss with crew missions already.

Edited by Neglience

Except that in this case, he is right.

The most recent changes to the slot machine fail to pass the reasonable person test. Anyone that looked at the community update and then looked at what they changed can easily say "what was said, was far from the truth." This is even hard for me to do, since 90% of the time I am a "glorious defender of Bioware" but in this case Bioware dropped the ball harder than most anything in recent memory.

"Working as intended with a change to JJ" (paraphrasing of course) was NOT what happened when they changed the slot machine in the last patch. You can't argue that. The new odds have been datamined and we all saw it. What they did was a gross over correction that is either:

A) Another mistake on their part and they failed to understand the ramifications (another patch will fix this)

OR

B) Completely intended, which is far worse because people spent real money to obtain this machine and then they changed the entire odds matrix instead of what they said they were looking at.

Exactly. I fully supported and expected a nerf to the slot machine. That's exactly what it needed - a good whack with the nerf bat.

Instead, BioWare went and hit it with a crowbar until it was on life support. This change utterly fails the "common sense" test, and is entirely out of line with the changes implied in the post from earlier this week.

It was a calculated move on BW's part the more I think about it. No one wants to seem this incompetent in game design.

Look how much attention has been taken off their gamers exploiting SWTOR and nothing is being done to them as they also tell BW. "I dare you to do anything!" The heat has been moved to a different burner now.

But that was just a secondary effect.

I'd wager more on BW had every intention to nerf it a week or so after releasing the slot machine. Thats why they told us:

In the meantime, have fun!

BW already knew what they were going to do. It's a nice bait and switch tactic to sale more packs so gamers could get a great slot machine. They waited just long enough for word of mouth about it to spread and the mat market could take a hit it deserved.

However, BW also wanted to make sure gamers continued to buy the packs longer than this once. How do you do that? Hand out legendary status to one of the most wanted vendors - the contraband vendor. IT has a number of items gamers want but in this case, many will have limited certs to buy those items. How do you get more certs now that the machine is nerfed? You have to buy more packs.

It's rather devious to be honest on BW's part and if more things are added to that vendor, I'll have no doubt it was planned all along.

Sale more packs, hand out legendary status to most everyone, limit certs so that they can add an extra reason for gamers to buy more packs in the future. Can't get the cool contraband vendor stuff without certs. Can really only get certs from packs.

Edited by Quraswren

Somewhere in the middle would be nice...

50% of the original drop rates strikes me as a good place to start. The current drop rates? Might as well not exist...

it has to have this low a drop rate or it will be exploited by macro'ers

Hate to break the news to you, but that is not how it works. Right now, it ONLY benefits the macroers. It has no payout to normal players, the only way to get a payout is through automation.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

Somewhere in the middle would be nice...

50% of the original drop rates strikes me as a good place to start. The current drop rates? Might as well not exist...

50 % would still give you around 500 purple mats in 8 hours. For augments that will result in 250 augments (if you have zero crits). 250 augments will let you fully augment nearly 18 chars. In 8 hours...

Edited by Neglience

50 % would still give you around 500 purple mats in 8 hours. For augments that will result in 250 augments (if you have zero crits). 250 augments will let you fully augment nearly 18 chars. In 8 hours...

No one's complaining about the hit to JJ. I'm pretty sure that the rest of us are upset that other changes were made without warning and those changes stupidly severe, to the point of making the Slot Machines worthless to anyone who's already Legendary with Contraband.

No one's complaining about the hit to JJ. I'm pretty sure that the rest of us are upset that other changes were made without warning and those changes stupidly severe, to the point of making the Slot Machines worthless to anyone who's already Legendary with Contraband.

I am pretty sure most of the whine on this forum is exactly because of that. It was easy mode to earn millions of credits in hours semi-afk clicking a stupid deco item.