I did the exploit...

EvenHardNiner

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ThisLooking at Erics 2 posts... the exploit spread faster and grew large enough that they needed to say something. Now, I wont get into fabricating numbers... but that says something to me.

I am not sure if it's just because the exploit spread faster and larger. Clearly they didn't want that to happen but because everybody was talking about it they wanted to put a halt to it before it got worse than it was.

It might be that the main concern was that the knowledge about it was spreading faster which could cause the exploit from gaining more ground in game, not necessarily that it already had spiralled out of control. Either way, it clearly is damage control.

Looking at Erics 2 posts... the exploit spread faster and grew large enough that they needed to say something. Now, I wont get into fabricating numbers... but that says something to me.

It may mean that far more people did this exploit than the money-for-nothing exploit in Collections when it launched, which they never said anything about before patching it AFAIK.

We don't know how many people did that exploit, but we do know that Bioware banned 150 innocent people by mistake back then because they admitted that. So odds are that far more than 150 were justly banned, unless BioWare's process of determining who to ban had a ridiculously large false positive rate.

It is worth pointing out that if ppl get banned for this exploit, we had better not ever see the same gold seller twice again. Not saying no bans should go out, just target ALL the issues.

It doesn't work that way. It's never worked that way. It never will work that way.

Two completely separate issues, two completely different ways to deal with those issues.

If you think nothing is being done about the gold spam, think again. But the spammers have enough incentive to persevere and use the F2P system to create endless amounts of throw away accounts. It isn't the spammers that are the target, it's the seller toons themselves as well as their credits that are the target and that also takes time.

You use a straw man argument to try to tie two completely separate issues together and it sounds like nothing more than an excuse for people to cheat.

I Beleive that there are a bunch of people out there who at the time didn't think of it as an exploit and did it cause everyone in the guild was or someone in their guild said hey come here we have this for you and ran them thru it. There are a lot of people new to the MMO world and have no clue. I can see punishing the people who spammed on fleet selling such exploit to other players that's taking it too far. But to have a bug in game and one that Bioware was aware of is what I have been reading and then punishing a lot of people for doing this I think is harsh. We have a guy in our guild speaks poor English from another country people like that who don't fully understand and just get sucked along. Especially paying players they pay every month they buy cartel packs meh let them have there little bonus look at how hard it is to get ultimate Comms from the game now they change where you get them from. I don't think a chest peice of 198s or even two will have a huge impact the way things are now. Punish te ones that sold the unlock and the guild that cleared it my understanding is one guild cleared it on HM and it went from there.

I even heard rumours that they didn't clear it the second week they found another bug around it not sure how true that is but I think it's the guild that started it and the ones selling it should be the ones punished the others who cares. That's my thoughts why alienate a lot of subscribers. There are what 1 million subs and I heard 1% took advantage now I think it's probably more and only subs can do raids so pretty much everyone who did it is a subscriber. Now 1% of a million is 10 000 subscribers say u punish them all and let's say 10% of that cancel their sub could be more so 1000 subscribers now at 15 bucks a month times 12 months a year that's $180 000 in lost revenue that we could measure how many of those but cartel packs I buy one a month. But let's forget that dollar amount. Now as far as how much money a year bioware makes that's peanuts but as far as employees go that could be 4 employees that they have to let go fewer employees at this game means fewer updates fewer new items and quests and longer wait times for bug fixes and more. So the longer they take to work on bugs the more time it takes away from programming. All I am saying is punish the ones that really deserve this. The majority just got caught up in it. i am thinking that no one was doing this to harm other players or the market or bioware they were just helping themselves and meant no harm. If it's their first issue to then who cares give them a warning but it's the unlock sellers and the guild that started it that needs the punishment. If the first guild stopped it right in its tracks it would have stayed there so really they are the ones to blame.

There's no difference to them Max. You're either with them, or against them. BLOOD!!! THEY DEMAND BLOOD!

This is the most heinous act imaginable to them...their addiction to this game is so great that they're unable to remain rational about what this was...a bug. They liken this to real life crime for God's sake...it's freaking nuts if you ask me.

Nuts? I'm not nuts but I do demand the following:

names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers so we can harass them

All cheaters should be branded with a scarlet C

Their friends and family should be told who they're dealing with

Banks should be notified that they could try and cheat

Credit scores should be set to 0 and forced to declare bankruptcy

Employers should be informed that these individuals are likely to steal from the company

The NSA should begin increased surveillance as they could be involved in plotting acts of terrorism

we need MORE than just blood!

I am not sure if it's just because the exploit spread faster and larger. Clearly they didn't want that to happen but because everybody was talking about it they wanted to put a halt to it before it got worse than it was. ... Either way, it clearly is damage control.

Here's the relevant portions of what Eric Musco posted at the time, for context:

... there is an exploit .... more widespread than we typically see ... openly discussed in-game as well as other channels ... receiving quite a few questions about it and due to the wide nature which it is being discussed, we thought it best to address it. ... received a lot of questions of what, if any action will be taken against those who have used this exploit.

Your conjectures are not inconsistent with what was posted.

Nuts? I'm not nuts but I do demand the following:

names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers so we can harass them

All cheaters should be branded with a scarlet C

Their friends and family should be told who they're dealing with

Banks should be notified that they could try and cheat

Credit scores should be set to 0 and forced to declare bankruptcy

Employers should be informed that these individuals are likely to steal from the company

The NSA should begin increased surveillance as they could be involved in plotting acts of terrorism

we need MORE than just blood!

No no no...not you...you're clearly not just "nuts" ;)

(great post :) )

I Believe that there are a bunch of people out there who at the time didn't think of it as an exploit and did it cause everyone in the guild was or someone in their guild said hey come here we have this for you and ran them thru it. There are a lot of people new to the MMO world and have no clue. I can see punishing the people who spammed on fleet selling such exploit to other players that's taking it too far.

My only argument is... if you are entering an operation (any operation) but especially the one of the two newest operations, HM at that, and don't have to fight a single thing to get loot... you just walk up and click... its a little hard to believe that you didn't quickly realize that it is an exploit.

I will give you however, that there may be some that did it once, or twice before the realization sunk in that... it shouldn't be this way.

So there does need to be degrees.. the "punishment" should not be one size fits all, but directly proportional to how far the exploiter took it.

By punishment, I'm talking bans and suspensions... Jimmy Jedi who did it once shouldn't get the same punishment as Sally Sith who did it on all her characters, sold access to it, encouraged others to do it, and so on.

Minimally, however, the gear/mats/schematics received directly via the exploit need to be removed, and credits earned from selling access, or materials gained from the exploit.

I love the scarlet letter idea! No banning, just make them wear the pink placeholder pants. A week for every time they did the exploit.

This idea could work! Back at launch, it seemed like every tier of PvP gear and every new "pet" was missing at least a few textures and it was common for players to look hideous! They should totally do something like THAT...then burn and ban them.

Minimally, however, the gear/mats/schematics received directly via the exploit need to be removed, and credits earned from selling access, or materials gained from the exploit.
i still predict the gear is safe. i guess we'll see.

gear/mods have always been the tricky part of any CS request. proving someone has a raid ID or "was there" is always doable for comms and quests. what never seems to be easy for the CS team is tracking what happens to gear.

I love the scarlet letter idea! No banning, just make them wear the pink placeholder pants. A week for every time they did the exploit.

And they will all use the pink pants to identify their fellow cheaters, add them to their friends list, and be better networked and therefore better prepared to exploit the next bug. Still think it's a good idea?

And they will all use the pink pants to identify their fellow cheaters, add them to their friends list, and be better networked and therefore better prepared to exploit the next bug. Still think it's a good idea?

Offer amnesty if they turn in others that cheated....friend turning on friend, brother against brother, guild against guild, as people begin to crack and turn on each other. It will be glorious! And good for the game in the long run.

I think you should, as the others have said, get out of the guild you are in as a first move, not the guys you want to be rolling with if they are on some suicidal 'let's see how many members can get banned from one guild' campaign. Which clearly they are if they are exploiting like that.

As for you own indiscretions... I don't know, I think the ban hammer is pretty unforgiving and not too choosy where it lands if you are among the group of people who had taken advantage of this exploit....even if you are waving a banner of innocence at the time.

Offer amnesty if they turn in others that cheated....friend turning on friend, brother against brother, guild against guild, as people begin to crack and turn on each other. It will be glorious! And good for the game in the long run.

LULZ! Great idea!

Lol. What I find funny is many of the anti-baners.

1) First many tried to find some way to justify the position as correct.

2) Next many tried to blow it off.

3) Then many tried to play the consequences if it did happen.

4) When that didn't work they start frothing at the mouth.

5) And finally many then try to blame all that frothing at the mouth on the people who brought up banning when they were the ones doing it.

Lol. I'm going to dub it the "5 Stages of Cheating Grief". I wonder if I can get a grant to study it. :D Its rather interesting because some went though the stages much faster than others or skipped a stage.

Edited by Sorwen

I hope they permaban every person who even knew about it!!! If you asked what someone meant in Fleet chat, BAN! If you even read Fleet chat, BAN!!! Cheaters are cheaters!!! If you farmed old Ops for the elite/ultimate comms, I want you banned too! You knew that was a bug, but you did it anyway. If you have ever lost aggro by running past a mob, BAN! You bypassed them knowingly and are a cheater looking to take the easy way out. We have no room in our glass house for cheaters like you!!! :mad:

You hit the nail on the head TUXs. If you actively knew about this exploit and you did it anyway, even after you knew, you should be banned. That is cheating. Like TUXs said. You knew it was a bug but you did it anyway. I wouldn't mind the people that did it be banned.